7.4

$600

1. replace fuel level sensors and gaskets (19 reports)
  3. replace both fuel sending units (1 reports)
2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 172017

Santa Fe

I am also experiencing issues with my gas gauge. I first noticed the problem while sitting in my car with the engine running, the gauge went from 90 miles of gas left, to 80, to 60, to 30, and then to empty and my gas light had then came on, all in a matter of 3 seconds. Now the check engine light is on, and I have to continuously guess how much gas is left in my car because once I fill up it will state the correct amount of gas for a few miles and then drop right back down to empty. One time I miscalculated and my car ran out of gas in a not so safe area, so this is a safety issue and needs to be recalled by Hyundai. Lastly I called the dealership and was quoted $600 to fix. This is insane! I bought the car used and have only had it for 2 years, so I should not have to pump this kind of money into it already.

- Michelle J., Elkridge, US

Apr 052016

Santa Fe Limited V6

Fuel gauge shows empty almost all the time and check engine light is always on.

Update from Aug 24, 2016: I went for a NH state inspection/emissions sticker yesterday and it failed. Check engine light being on due to the fuel sensor problem. The technician says the vehicle has NO safety issues but due to the check engine light they have to fail me. They quoted $600. to fix.

I'm not sure if I am more mad at the state of NH due to their stupid laws, or Hyundai for not recalling this problem.

- meltrusty, Wakefield, MA, USA

Sep 142016

Santa Fe SE 3.3L

No manufacturer of any vehicle I have ever owned, or my parents have owned, has had the fuel gauge sensor failed until now. No excuses.

- gjohnson15825, Ridgway, PA, USA

Apr 282017

Santa Fe V6

Santa Fe is a great car and I have no complainants, except this one... I have just spent $705 dollars to repair both fuel sensors! This has made made the fuel gauge needle to go hay wire as well as the check engine light to come on. This should be a recall. The fact that several other cars are having the exact problem. You cannot get around NOT doing it because it may not pass inspection with those states requiring inspections. Hyundai Please TAKE NOTE!!!

- Michelle C., Hillsborough, US

Oct 052016

Santa Fe LX 3.2lV6

This problem started on a long vacation to the east coast. We thought we had a major problem since the Check Engine Light comes on when the gas gauge goes bonkers also. This problem now is a constant but not willing to spend over $700 to get it fixed since I know of at least 3 other people with same problem with their 07 or 08 Santa Fe. THIS SHOULD BE A RECALL ITEM!!!! Why isn't it?

When I talked to service dept. at our local Hyundai dealer he agreed with me and said he wouldn't get it fixed either but to just keep track of the mileage so I know when to fill up the tank again. What a hassle!!!! This should have been recalled a long time ago and I can assure you that neither I or any of my friends will ever buy another Santa Fe unless they fix this problem!!

Duane Beers

- dmbeersdb, Colorado Springs, US

Feb 282017

Santa Fe Limited 3.3L

Looking on the web, there are thousands of these going out from 2007 to 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. Hyundai should have recalled these I think. The repair is expensive.

- Richard S., Bray, OK, US

Feb 012017

Santa Fe J9 V6

I never seen this kind of problem in other cars I owned before.

- Phillip C., Chandler, AZ, USA

Oct 292016

Santa Fe LXE 3.4L V6

When refueled, fuel gauge goes to empty and may or maybe not return to proper indication. Usually does not return to proper indication. Indicates empty every time fuel is added. Never know the true amount of fuel.

- lupul, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, Canada

Jan 072013

Santa Fe XL

I've waited at least three years for Hyundai to put out a recall on this as I see multiple complaints about the problem. I really did not want to shell out $500 to fix this known issue. Since I never know how much gas I really have, I reset the odometer to 0, fill the tank and fill up every 200 miles. A pain, but it was working. Until a gas station attendant didn't fill my tank all the way and I ran out of gas on a dangerous entry ramp last week. I ordered the part and am getting it fixed next week. How can Hyundai ignore this very dangerous problem?

- Mary Ellen C., Maywood, NJ, USA

Oct 112016

Santa Fe GLS 2.7L

After experiencing my fuel gauge going up and down my check engine light came on. I then took it to AutoZone and the code said it is the fuel gauge sending unit that needs to be replaced. I've read several complaints about this same issue so I filed a complaint with NHTSA.GOV and I'm hoping Hyundai will issue a recall in regards to this matter. I think if we all filed a complaint we could get this resolved.

- msdallas35, Mesquite, TX, USA

May 012014

Santa Fe ES

I personally know 3 other Hyundai owners who have had this same problem. Two paid in the $500 range for the repairs. Myself and the other Hyundai owner just reset our trip meters. So many owners have had this issue, it's irresponsible of Hyundai to not repair the faulty parts given so many complaints.

- wauchula1km, Fleming Island, USA

Jul 172016

Santa Fe Limited 3.0L

as with those who have had the same problem regarding fuel gauge failure /check engine light, could run out of gas a cause serious problem.

check engine light comes on ,goes off ,fuel gauge register on empty with light indicator anytime tank is less than full.

- jmdock3jm, Stone Mtn, GA, USA

Mar 052016

Santa Fe LX V6

Whenever my daughter fills up the vehicle (it is hers), the check engine light comes on and the fuel gauge shows as empty. The gauge starts to go up towards full once she has driven 50-75 miles. Very annoying since she never really knows how much rule is in the tank. I've seen many other complaints about this on this site. When will Hyundai take ownership for this and make it a recall?

- bradaz, Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jan 152016

Santa Fe GS

Just bought this car today, payed almost $7,000. Within 10 mins the service engine light came on and my fuel went to empty. Took it to service station, they put on computer. Said it reads almost full tank of gas, but my gauge still shows empty. The manufacturer needs to recall his problem. I don't know when gas will be empty and don't have the money to stick into this. Recall this problem.

- Robin S., bath, PA, USA

Jun 112015

Santa Fe

I bought my car used so I don't know if the previous owner had the same issue and had it repaired but I'm not the only person who has reported this problem. This is a manufacture issue and should be fixed by such not the consumer. This is a safety issue and should be taken as such. I also smelt smoke as if my car was on fire while I was driving on the highway on 1/3/15 with my daughter in the car I was near an exit so I quickly pulled over and turned my car off and let it sit for a few minutes before restarting it and continuing home. Unknown what the issue is or what caused the smell. A few moths back I got a letter from Hyundai about some recalls on my car and had them all fixed, in November had a diagnostic done on my battery, alternator and starter and all where good. I'm very concerned because of the distance I have to travel to work.

- charliemo, Saint Louis, MO, USA

May 052015

Santa Fe

FUEL GAUGE STOPPED WORKING AND SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON. FUEL GAUGE READ EMPTY EVEN THE TANK IS FULL OF GAS. COST 850.00 TO REPAIR AND MY CAR INSIDE SMALLS LIKE FUEL. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE AS AMOUNT OF GAS IN TANK IS UNKNOWN AND SHOULD BE RECALLED BY HYUNDAI.

- Celina S., Edmonton, AB, Canada

Oct 012015

Santa Fe

I think it is ridiculous how many people are having the fuel sensor issue and Hyundai has done nothing to fix this. This should be a huge recall. This should not be happening. This is the only reason I will NEVER buy another Hyundai again.

- Kathy D., Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 032015

Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6

The issue happened several times and the check engine light would illuminate/ go out... I thought it was not closing the fuel cap properly. The fuel gauge also bounced from empty to proper amount regardless of recently filling the tank. I took it to the dealership and was told it was something with the fuel sensor.

Extended warranty covered it, thankfully.

- Edmund A., Millville, NJ, USA

Jul 022015

Santa Fe Limited 3.3L

This is the second time these sensors have failed. They first failed at approx. 160km and I had them fixed at a Hyundai dealership. The dealership mechanic damaged the rear seat and stripped the anchoring bolts to the floor. At this time they also performed a clock spring recall ( not asked for) and shorted out the passenger side airbag. Now they want almost $1000 to fix the airbag problem they created!

Since the airbag light is a hard code and is on, I cannot sell the vehicle as "certified" in Ontario. Damned if I will pay Hyundai money to fix a problem one of their mechanics created. They retaped the rear seat floor mounts only after I threatened to contact Transport Canada and Consumer and Corporate Affairs. This was my first and last Hyundai. I have also had to replace two front valve cover gaskets ( one of which fried the alternator).

The car was cheaper than most other similar models and know I know why.

This should be a recall at no cost, there is no point in fixing it if they keep putting in the same junk! I just keep track of my mileage between fill ups. Cheap Cheap Cheap!

- jl898, Battersea, ON, Canada

Oct 092015

Santa Fe SE 3.3L V6

Started with an Engine Check light and Battery light. When fuel gauge reached half, gauge took a nose dive to empty and Miles to Empty went from 165-ish to "- - - -". Quickly researched the issue and kept the tank filled every time the gauge got near half.

Took the car into dealer for a recall repair (gasket affecting alternator) and explained the condition.

$400 later, fuel sensor replaced.

Two different service reps at dealer acknowledged this is a common problem. Really?! If it's a common problem then that's a manufacturing/part defect.

- gwoolard, Spring Hill, TN, USA