2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems: clicking noise when turning

Clicking Noise When Turning

2011 Hyundai Sonata (Page 2 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

1. replace steering coupling (37 reports)
  3. replace steering column (3 reports)
  4. replace bushing (2 reports)
  5. replace intermediate steering shaft/rack (2 reports)
  6. replace tie rods, axles and an alignment (1 reports)
2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Sep 102016

I think there should be a recall on this!!! There are numerous complaints and warnings on this. I have read on it and it could cause a crash. It is very worrisome to drive and I don't know what to expect. I am a senior citizen on a limited budget and I thought I bought a safe car. I will never buy a Hyundai again. I feel angry and am afraid to take a long drive. My family lives in Orlando...a two hour drive.

Every time I turn the wheel or I go over the slightest uneven part of a road the clicking noise happens. click click click click click...not just a one time thing

- ssalmon, Dunedin, FL, USA

Aug 012016

Bought 2011 Hyundai Sonata brand new, now only has slightly over 31,000 miles. I have a 10 year/100 m warranty, but was told the steering clicking and wobbling wasn't covered and it would be $240 to repair. Seems strange that they have received enough complaints to know exactly what I was talking about, but not enough for a recall to fix a problem many drivers seem to be having. I've already had all the other recalls fixed, but not this one. I've had all checkups and routine maintenance done up to this point and I'm unhappy enough about this that I doubt I will ever purchase another Hyundai.

- juno1133, Maryville, TN, USA

Aug 202016

I brought my husbands vehicle in to be serviced and have the recall done on the controller Mod. for steering. When I found out that the steering coupler was broken and needed to be replaced I thought it would have been covered under the recall. We are elderly people who live month to month on our income. This created for me to cancel my appointment for the rest of the month. I want to know why since there are so many complaints about this that there isn't a recall on this part. Why hasn't Hyundai come forward and fix the problem and give the consumers there money back. I feel if that the coupler went do to your manufacturing the product and having a recall done in the same area. So there for you need to reimburse the money back.

- ochal, Hardy, VA, USA

Sep 052016

Sonata 2.4L

It's been problem after problem with this vehicle. I was told by too many mechanics that it was in the steering wheel or it could be the rack and pinion which would cost over $1500.00 to repair. I never experience so many problems with this vehicle. I also have an issue with the headlights blinking off while I'm driving at night, which could cause accident.

- valerieholmes, Richmond, VA, USA

Jul 282016

Sonata SE 2.4L

click to see larger images

clicking noise when turning clicking noise when turning

Taking a trip, while on I-81 I noticed some intermittent shimmy and notchy feeling in the steering. When we stopped for fuel and I backed up, it was clunking. I thought something was breaking off. With engine OFF the steering felt tight. We continued to our first destination and next morning went to Hyundai of Chantilly. I had already Googled the symptoms and in 4+ hours and $308 later we were on the road again. A simple cheap rubber coupler $2.79 caused this. POOR DESIGN.. POOR CHOICE OF MATERIAL.. I FILED A REPORT WITH NHTSA.

- hans_1300, McDonough, GA, USA

Sep 012016

On my 2011 Hyundai Sonata, the steering column makes a horrible rattle sound when going over bumps and also makes a popping noise when you turn the steering wheel to the left and to the right. Seems to affect my lights as well as they go off and on when this occurs. Took in to dealer today and they said it would cost $363 to replace the coupling. I see this as an issue numerous time in complaints on this site, so why isn't their a recall on this. This started with approximately 58,000 miles on the car. Car now has approximately 60,000 miles.

- Billy S., Clarksville, TN, USA

Oct 072016

Sonata Limited

This will be my last Hyundai. 2011 Sonata Limited has 25, 000 miles and a few months out of warranty. The steering would make a clunking noise when turning. I was told at the dealership that this was a safety issue. Of course, a few months out of warranty and Hyundai refuses to pay for the repair. It is a $3 part and $300 labor. All I get from Hyundai is "I understand but no". Will never ever buy another Hyundai product and I suggest you don't either. I have seen hundreds of complaints online about this issue but the company does not want to address it-maybe they will when they have a major lawsuit for people getting killed due to the steering going out on the car.

- Fran R., Columbia, SC, USA

Feb 032016

Sonata LS 2.4L

There is a known clunking sound caused by the steering column bushing. The dealer told me what it was but there was no recall issued on it. He said it would cost $260 to repair and I could have it done and then wait for a recall. He didn't say it was dangerous but it has steadily gotten worse.

- James W., Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Sep 192016

Sonata 4 Cy

Brought 2011 Hyundai in for the EPS recall. It has 22,200 miles on it. Service called and said recall was done but that the Steering Coupler was bad and needed to be replaced. Repair would cost over $300.00. I declined. On the way home I noticed a clicking sound when I turned the wheel to the right or left. Never had this problem until the recall was done. I called my cousin who has the same car and asked if he had the recall done. He said he had and the dealer told him the coupler needed to be replaced.......It was a different dealership then the one I went to......they replaced it for nothing and it was over the five year warranty. Seems strange that I didn't have this problem until the recall was done.

- Andrew M., Inwood, NY, USA

Aug 152016

Sonata ES

I have a 2011 Hyndai Sonata, with 57,000 miles, I began getting this clunking sound when I make turn in my steering wheel, the problem did not occur until, I took my Car to get serviced at hyudai dealer in Springfield PA, which I only had recalls to be service, now all of a sudden I'm having problems with my Car, they told me 2 weeks after my service recalls was done, I've beginning getting clunking sound in Wheel and gears start shifting took it back to them told them there was nothing wrong with my car until they touched it, they had a nerve to tell me that I need a steering coupler and input sensor in my Transmission, which will cost me over $1000.00. I have been seeing over 1800 complaints online about Hyundai having this Steering coupler problems and over 18,000 have this transmission problem, they are both very hazardous and and you canbe killed. and the manufacture needs a recall on these issues.

- Karen C., Upper Darby, PA, USA

May 162015

There's a clicking in the steering when turning or going over bumps. Got steering recall fixed and thought that would take care of the issue. As soon as I started to drive out of the parking lot I heard the noise. I stopped the car went back inside and asked about the clicking. Was told that the clicking was not apart of the recall. The issue is a coupler/coupling that's broken. Needless to say I still have the clicking while driving.

- jashley650, Sandy Hook, VA, USA

Sep 172016

Sonata Limited 2.4L Dohc

Now when I turn the wheel I hear a thunking noise. It doesn't happen all the time and it makes me wonder if something is wiggling itself loose and ready to fly...not good.

Sep 152016

Sep 142016

Aug 102016

Sonata GLS 2.4L

Sitting at dealer's waiting room while it's getting fixed ... My car's mileage was actually pretty low - only 40K. Unfortunately the car was 8 months beyond the five-year warranty, so I had to pay by myself.

Yes, the adviser showed me that the cost of the coupler was less than two bucks, but the labor cost was close to $400!!!

- hu nc, Cary, NC, USA

Jul 152016

Sonata Limited

I have read so many complaints regarding the knocking and clicking noise in the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I don't understand how come this isn't under a recall. Everyone is saying the part is very inexpensive.

- Rena S., Saint Louis, MO, US

Aug 052016

Sonata Limited 3.2L

So far this year I have had 8 Recalls on my car not to mention the 3 I had last year. Now my steering is making a clinking noise when I turn and shaking if I drive over 60mph. I have already had it in the shop once this year and twice last year for other repairs. I hear a lot of people are having this issue but they have failed to have it on the recall list. I am not sure how much this repair will cost. I hear they are estimating between $350-$400. Please have a recall most people can not keep repairing their vehicles like this.

- Rachel B., Danbury, TX, USA

Aug 102016

Sonata ES

Car has been having problems with steering. Originally thought it was due to the need for new tires, however, I bought new tires, and the problem has gotten progressively worse. I called Hyundai on a couple of occasions to have my car looked at, and they could not accommodate me with another vehicle (loaner). They told me they would have their shuttle take me home. Uh, ok! How do I get back, I asked. They didn't have an answer for me.

I decided to take it to my own mechanic to look at it, as I was scared to death to drive the damn thing. I transport my young child to school every day, and I have over an hour commute one way. I was facing a life or death situation for me and my son. My mechanic told me that the problem is the intermediate steering shaft, and to replace it would cost over $300.00. This happens to be an earlier recall on the car.

I called the dealership again and told them what was found, and asked for it to be replaced free of charge due to the Hyundai Recall. They couldn't get me in the same day. They would have to order parts, and would have to wait another five days to bring it in. (chance crashing and killing me and my son?) I was told they would have to diagnose the problem themselves, and the diagnostic fee would be $118 regardless of what was found. REALLY? Why would I give the dealership a dime for something that was caused by the Manufacturer? And then what, take it in to the dealer for them to tell me a) yes, this is a problem and we are going to fix it but we also found this, this, and this which is additional cost... OR b) get it fixed by my own mechanic the same day and know that my son and I are (somewhat) safe again in the vehicle. I opted for choice B.

Now I am out the money, and Hyundai will not issue reimbursement. I owned a Hyundai years ago, got into a bad car accident (totaled it) and my airbag never deployed. Had so many problems with that vehicle I SWORE I would never buy another one!! SHAME ON ME!!! Don't let looks deceive you people, HYUNDAI SUCKS and they don't know what they are doing when it comes to manufacturing cars!!!! Once you buy it, don't ask for support, because you will be as disgusted and frustrated as I have been over the years!!

- Michele E., York, PA, USA

Aug 032016

Sonata GLS 4 cylindar

First of all, I purchased the car from the dealership. Now, the steering column made clicking noises, which became louder and making me nervous to drive. I called the Delership and they looked up my car, year model and let me know that

my car did not have a recall on that part so I had to pay the replacement and labor. They quoted, PART: $894. Labor: 300 and Reprogramming: 350. a TOTAL of 1,554.00. A 5 YEAR OLD CAR!!!!, I went off. My 20 year old Volvo never gave me that problem. My 8 year old Camary never gave me that problem on and on... I went to research about the car on-line. Turns out, there was a RECALL only it covered

the two years prior to mine. 2009 and 2010 REPLACED 140,000 STEERING COLUMNS. Turns out NOT MY year 2011. But here I am with the same problem. I Certainly did not have within my reach capacity to Drop a quick $1,554. So I had to search for a USED PART at 300.

find a LOCAL Affordable mechanic. LABOR at 200. However, they did not have the Machine to REPROGRAM the steering wheel to it.

NOW my Dash Screen dose NOT DISPLAY GAS MILES, ( how many left before more gas is required etc..) ALSO Now shows a light on that was not on before which wont turn off. The button to set tires for SLIPPERY ROAD. NOW, I HAVE TO DEAL with additional cost to This and who know to WHAT TUNE >:( I NEED HELP!!! THEY SHOULD SIMPLY INCLUDE MY YEAR MODEL ON THE RECALL AND REIMBURSE ME FOR MY COSTS.

- Ana L., Bell, CA, US

Jul 022016

Sonata SE 2.4L

This should be a recall. Too many people having the same problem

- Stephen S., corona del mar, CA, USA