CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2016 Tucson comes with a dual-clutch, 7-speed transmission. But Hyundai forgot to tell you about one key phrase – zero-move. That's right, an alarming number of owners have said their SUV wouldn't accelerate after a stop.

Turns out that's because the transmission's application logic has been stumbling all over itself. Hyundai recalled the issue in September 2016, but it's difficult to say if owners are out-of-the-woods, or if this is just a sign of things to come.

2016 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Tucson:

2016 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Aug 192020

Tucson

It started making load knocking noises and lost power while driving on the highway

- Conyers, GA, USA

Aug 312020

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, she heard an abnormal popping and grinding sound coming from the engine. The oil light warning light became illuminated on the instrument panel. Despite the vehicle losing power, the contact was able to drive the vehicle to her residence. Due to the failure, the contact had the vehicle towed to an independent mechanic where they diagnosed the vehicle with engine failure. The dealer nor the manufacturer had been notified of the failure. The vehicle had yet to be repaired. The failure mileage was 109,904.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Mar 012020

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that all four doors failed to open and close without several attempts. Additionally, the rear passenger's side window was inoperable. The engine splash cover detached from vehicle. The clean front radar message was displayed, and there was an abnormally loud noise detected from the muffler. There were no warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to woodhouse Hyundai of omaha (8410 S 145th St, omaha, ne 68138, (402) 592-1007) where the vehicle was diagnosed and the contact was informed that the door actuators needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted however, no further assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Apr 042020

Tucson

The vehicle I purchase at the dealership is loosing or flashing oil. In 3 months time, give or take, oil is low low and the car hesitate to on take off until oil pressure increases.

- Corsicana, TX, USA

Jun 302020

Tucson

The driver and back passenger door handles both just jammed one day, the driver window switch shorts out, dash lights will flash on and off randomly, the dealership has already replaced the transmission and the engine has been ticking for months and the dealership says its due to low oil and refused to look into it. Now its to the point of total engine failure.... please help me I havnt even had it for 2 years yet

- Chambersburg, PA, USA

Jun 132020

Tucson

While driving in motion on city street, West bound, people were yelling at me... wasn't sure what was going on...I roll down my window to hear them yelling " your car is on fire" so I pull off road in to a parking lot...stop and open door as fire rushing in as I'm "literally" having to jump out ! trying to put fire out with fire extinguisher, but did not work...maybe 10 mins later, fire department arrives and puts it out

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 092020

Tucson

Got this car at the dealership in July last year. A few weeks before this happened you would notice a hesitation from the car to move forward when you press the gas pedal whiles driving on the road. The engine began to make loud knocking noises one morning and broke down while driving on the street. Got it towed to a Hyundai service shop and they are talking about making a "goodwill" repair which will end up costing $4800. I have read many complaints noted from the 2016 Tucson owners who experienced the same issues with their cars. This is obviously a manufacturing defect. The vehicle has been recalled before for a Tucson secondary hood latch recall campaign.

- Jessup, MD, USA

May 302020

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai tuscon. The contact stated that while driving the vehicle suddenly stalled and smoke was present coming from under the hood. After opening the hood flames were discovered coming from the engine compartment. The fire department was called to the scene and extinguished the flames. A fire report was taken at the scene and the vehicle towed to the home. The cause of the fire was not determined. The manufacturer and local dealer were not notified. In addition, the rear driver side door latch was inoperable. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

May 012020

Tucson

Hyundai Tucson was being driven along us 290 in brenham Texas when the check engine light came on. Driver pulled over and tried to restart. SUV would not restart. Vehicle was towed to Hyundai dealer who said the engine was perforated and "blown" and needed to be replaced. *** more information dealer says engine is perforated. This should be covered as it is a manufacture defect as detailed at consumer reports. Https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/Hyundai/Tucson/2016/reliability/ full maintenance has been performed at Hyundai dealerships in albuquerque, New Mexico, for the past three years. My niece, jaycee seago, was driving SUV in brenham Texas when the check engine lights came on. She pulled off us 290 and had the vehicle towed to Hyundai of brenham where the mechanic diagonosed it as a perforated engine that needs to be replaced. Hyundai or brenham service: 979-337-8447 parts: 979-277-7580 1710 highway 290 wbrenham, tx 77833 I have also talked to Hyundai usa via phone and filled another case with more details Hyundai case #17003952

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Feb 072020

Tucson

Slow or no exceleration from stop slow transmission shift power loss knocking noise on front vibration continous service engine light low turbo boost this have been continous and several attempts have been made by Hyundai with negative results

- North Plainfield, NJ, USA

Feb 172020

Tucson

Hello, I bought a used 2016 Hyundai Tucson eco less then a month ago from autonation that had only 40,000 miles on it. Within 2 weeks of buying the vehicle, the check engine turned on for a P259F trouble code for a turbocharger position sensor that I had got from using autonation's vehicle app. Naturally, I called autonation to have my car fixed, but the engine light had gone off before I brought my in vehicle in for repairs. When I did bring my vehicle in to the dealership, they confirmed that there was a check engine light on from my turbo, but that it had gone off and that the car was functioning normally, and to go to a Hyundai dealership for a special diagnostic if the issue consisted. On the same day of getting my car back, I started noticing engine performance issues, my acceleration would be affected by 1 to 2 seconds where the car would not go, and when it would finally notice the throttle it would jump kick the car. Also the worst of all, it also cut out at one point where it did not want to give any sort of throttle at all, I needed to have my foot all the way down on the pedal to just go 30 mph. During that time I noticed that the engine would be revving high while no speed was being gained, and no check engine lights where going off either. Because of that, I was almost involved in an accident where I could not accelerate out of an intersection when making a turn. What makes me believe this is the turbo electrical problem, is that the way I got my car to accelerate normally is that I parked it and restarted it, after that it started accelerating normally, but at times the acceleration would still be affected.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 122019

Tucson

I¿M the original owner of a 2016 Tucson. Here are all the symptoms and issues with this vehicle: Dealer recommended replacing the catalytic converter Dec 2019 and I had the part replaced. Had an oil change on 1-26-2020 and the next week on 2-2-2020 the engine was tapping, checked the oil and discovered no oil in the engine. The low oil indicator light never came on. The car continues to burn oil. Mechanics checked car again and no leaks was discovered. And still unable to determine why this car is burning oil. Mechanic is recommending a new engine. Also, the car will not accelerate accurately and hesitates at about 45 mph. There is a clicking noise when turning the steering wheel. The dealership says that does cause any problems but the part can be replaced. The drivers door sticks have to pull on the door handle 2-3 times before the door opens. Major engine issues,

- Greenville, NC, USA

Jan 162020

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that while his wife was driving at 45 mph, there was an abnormal odor coming from the engine. Without warning the engine ceased. The contact was able to safely guide the vehicle off of the roadway. The contact turned the vehicle off and was unable to restart the vehicle. Triple -a was contacted and towed the vehicle to (freehold Hyundai 4065 U.S. 9, freehold township, NJ 07728 (732) 625-1200) where it was diagnosed and determined that the engine failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not subjected to any recalls. The failure mileage was approximately 65,000.

- Keyport, NJ, USA

Jan 062020

Tucson

This issue recur after the first incident that made us go back and forth to the dealership 3yrs ago. Hyundai of seattle should have a full record of this issue. Recently then, our car shows similar issues. The car is slow to accelerate from stop to go. Does not pick up accelerations when you step on the gas. On inclined or climb, engine has a hard time and seems to shake a bit then steady itself after 2 mins as you step in the gas to keep it in motion

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Dec 212019

Tucson

This evening me and my fiancÉ were driving 45mph down hill on a straight road to get christmas gifts, and all of a sudden out of no where the engine just died/stalled (no warning/dashboard lights). Thank god we were able to coast into a gas station and get off the road safely. The car wouldn't even turn over, so my fiancÉ checked the oil and it was low. The car doesn't leak oil and we do oil changes every 3,000 miles religiously. We carry extra oil in case an oil warning light appears so we added oil to correct fill level. To no luck the car still wouldn't turn over. As it is Saturday night and tomorrow being Sunday we have to wait till Monday morning to get the car to a Hyundai dealer to be assessed by them. Hopefully they will come to the conclusion that the car burns oil out of no where and that the cars oil warning/pressure light is malfunctioning/faulty. In finding that I am hoping the dealer will honor my warranty and replace my engine.

- Otisville, NY, USA

Dec 152019

Tucson

My car was making a low, rumbling noise when I accelerated. It started getting louder and as I pulled off the highway, the check engine light came on, my vehicle lost power and smoke started coming from the hood of my car. When I got out of my car and walked away from it, I could see a fire had started under the car around the engine. My car was quickly engulfed in flames as I waited for emergency services to respond. As a result, my vehicle was totaled and I lost all of my personal belongings in my car

- Duluth, MN, USA

Dec 052019

Tucson

The engine is burning oil, there are no leaks and no dashboard warning lights. On 12/5/19, mechanic found a dry dip stick and removed less than 1 quart oil from the engine and examined for leaks. Oil changes are in regular 5,000-6,000 intervals using synthetic 5W30 oil and this issue was not found at the last oil change on 4/11/19. Oil was checked on 12/8/19 and the oil below is already below full.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Nov 112019

Tucson

The vehicle is well maintained and the last oil change at 52,000 miles had no warning lights and the tech said there was no oil. It was just about 5,000 miles since last oil change. Search shows this is a far too common problem.

- Mcmurray, PA, USA

Nov 262019

Tucson

2016 Hyundai Tucson does not accelerate or reverse does not accelerate when in motion, does not reverse

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Nov 122019

Tucson

Recently bought 2016 Hyundai Tucson limited and the car has 29,000 miles on it. When in traffic and remove my foot from the brake the car with shake as it is about to stall out and then finally kick in and start moving forward normally. I've tried to pull out into traffic and had the car stall for a second before going forward. I don't feel safe pulling out unless I have enough time for the other car to stop just in case the car does stall out. I was told by the deal that the good news is the car is supposed to act like this. Dealers seem to know about this issue but since the computer doesn't throw up a flag they don't do anything about it.

- Baltimore, MD, USA