CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Dec 262018

Cherokee

I was driving on the highway and my check engine, transmission and park lights started flashing. My car wouldnżT accelerate and my computer said 'service transmissionż. now my car wonżT shift gears or accelerate. It has 40K miles on it.

- Greenville, DE, USA

Dec 012018

Cherokee

While driving on a 4 lane highway at 65 mph the vehicle partially lost power and would not accelerate, up shift, or ownshift, the brake lights started flashing, along with many other lights on the dash including check engine. I pulled over to the side of the highway and shut off the Jeep. I waited a minute then started it back up. The service parking brake message was on the message center, the odometer is blinking, and 4WD is temporarily unavailable. I had it looked at by a mechanic and they showed me the park brake module had water intrusion and was very much corroded.

- Greene, NY, USA

Nov 022018

Cherokee

After transmission recall repair, engine replaced due transmission recall repair 3rd time, vehicle idles rough when in neutral, check engine light came on and Jeep died. The vehicle started after a moment and the check engine light went off. Still having same issues after transmission repaired and a new engine due to the dealership resetting the computer instead of repairing the transmission. So new engine and repaired transmission, still having issues. Constant issue with the Jeep idling roughly, sometimes not starting or stalling in traffic on the highway and city streets.

- Garland, TX, USA

Feb 062016

Cherokee

The car stalls when pressing on the gas then jolts into gear making it feel and sound like Iżve been hit from behind, it is slow to accelerate at times and other times it accelerates extremely faster when I lightly push the gas, it will also decelerate at times when trying to accelerate, the electrical will flash all the signals and tell me to service the transmission after I fill my tank mostly and the car will shut off when I stop at a light and jerk until input it in park and turn it off while sitting in traffic. The controls to the lift gate do not always work when pressed inside of the vehicle. The check engine light is constantly on when I took it to the dealer the diagnostic said it was a sensor and valve but the dealer kept the car for a week and only changed the oil which was not needed and shut the light off only for it to come back on one day after I had to demand they fix my car or give it back because they were just holding it on the lot, the suspension and shocks are off they keep wearing my tires and the button for the shift gear fell off while I was attempting to put the car in gear which is an obvious defect

- Irving, TX, USA

Nov 042018

Cherokee

Traveling on town road. The battery light came lit up on the control panel with a warning to put vehicle in park. Engine completely shut off. Gas pedal unresponsive. We pulled over to the side of the road. Tried to restart vehicle several times over the course of 15+ minutes. Vehicle finally restarted like normal. Turned vehicle around by crossing over double yellow lines, put in reverse. Vehicle completely shut off leaving us disabled across road, same warning and battery light on. Engine finally restarted 10 minutes later. Returned the vehicle safely home.

- Athol, MA, USA

Oct 232018

Cherokee

Hi I have brought my car into the dealership several times and continues to experience the same issues. When I drive (20-25 mph), the car jolts as if someone has hit me from behind almost as if the car is shifting or downshifting gears. When im approaching a stop light and gradually slowing down without my foot on either the gas or brake, the car jolts back and forth. This also occurs when im driving uphill and downhill around 20 mph. I am scared to drive my car as this is a risk that I will crash due to the shifting. I have brought the car in several times, they have told me they did a software update in which did not work, I experience everyday when I am driving and continue to be worse everyday.

- Leominster, MA, USA

Oct 162018

Cherokee

I experience unintended acceleration when coasting. When the car attempts to down shift, there is a sudden increase in the engine rpms and a sudden and unintended increase in speed. I have gotten no satisfaction from the dealer or Chrysler. They claim that it is the way it was designed to operate. Note: When this occurs my foot is on neither the gas or brake pedals. This occurs mostly on level street and highways.

- New Berlin, WI, USA

Oct 132018

Cherokee

I was stopped at a light. When I depressed the accelerator, warning lights flashed on my dash, the engine stalled and a message to "shift to P then desired gear". car was hard to start afterwards, issue happened 3 more times on the way back home (less than 1 mile). Car has been brought to mechanic for diagnostic testing. I did research online and this appears to be a known issue with the transmission. Hopefully will still be covered under warranty.

- Shirley, NY, USA

Oct 072018

Cherokee

I was in the turning lane to turn into a grocery store and when I accelerated to turn my Jeep accelerated then the check engine light came on the service transmission light, traction control light, service parking brake light, there were several lights that came on and my Jeep was still running but stopped accelerating as I was turning into the store on a busy 4 lane road and I was pushing the gas but the vehicle would not move I coasted into the start of the parking lot where it was now telling me to shift my car into park as I did then shifted back to drive and tried to finish pulling into the store parking lot and still nothing. So I put the vehicle into park shut it off sat for a min turned it back on placed it back in drive the check engine light was still on so I drove it to the nearest auto zone to get the code checked because it was a Sunday (today 10/7/18) and the dealer ship is closed. They were unable to find a code and once the Jeep was turned back on all lights were off. I drove it home and parked it and I am taking it to the deal ship tomorrow. 2 weeks ago Thursday Sept 27th my car stalled and shut off at a stop light while taking my kids to school the morning after filling my car with gas. It started back up immediately then shook like it may die again then nothing. No light indicators at all came on during that incident so I figured it could have been bad gas and thought nothing of it since I didn't have any other trouble til today. My children were with me both times and we got lucky this incident that happened today Sunday Oct 7th 2018 we did not get hit because I barely made it into the parking.

- Hartford, KY, USA

Oct 032018

Cherokee

On several occasions, this car has just stopped while in motion. Dashboard lights light up, get transmission warning. Have taken the car in on numerous occasions to be told that it needed an update on the computer. It is very scary to be driving a car and not know when or if it will shut off, and that an "update" would cause such an incident. I have had trouble with this car since the day we purchased it. I have reached out to Jeep and they just said to take it back to the shop so they could run tests on it, this was after it had been in the shop for 3 weeks. It seems like many others are having the same issue with the same model car. Someone is going to get killed if something isn't done with these issues. There should have been a recall in this faulty vehicle. I am posting that this new occurance happened today, but it has happened on several other occasions.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Aug 152018

Cherokee

I bought my Jeep Cherokee 2014 AWD with 60K miles on it. Within in 6 months, my dashboard said service transmission and it was undriveable. The dealership said it was software issue and fixed it. Not even a year later and I had the same issue again and it is now getting a new transmission. Often when driving, it revs very high and goes nowhere, or if I'm cruising a parking lot, its revving very high and will jerk into another gear. Not only that, but I've had know drive shaft bearing ands a new radio put it. The big issue is the transmission and the repeated tows, missing work, late to work, engine shaking, grinding, and now being replaced. I've owned it my own for 1.5 years, am already at this point. Dealership won't replace it, just told me I have it covered under warrantly and oh well. These issues have happened when starting my car in the morning to leave my driveway, won't shift into gear. Driving on the highway attempting to switch lanes and have no acceleration so I slam on the brakes before I get into an accident because I know if it doesn't take off, its not going to until I least expect it.

- Rocky River, OH, USA

Jul 072018

Cherokee

Transmission issue causing a serious safety issue. While braking the vehicle has an acceleration surge. It also does this while coasting and the transmission goes into a downshift. There are also issues with it shifting in several gears. There is a check engine light on U0402. Chrysler dealership tried to program the tcm twice and the light comes right back on.

- Greene, NY, USA

Jul 212018

Cherokee

Vehicle died on main road just over 30000 miles said it was the uconnect. Turns out after a month and a half of them having it they had to replace the transmission. Ruff shifts over accelerates. Suspension right after that. Died on the highway going 55!!! semi truck almost killed my family. Took dealership over a week to even look at it said it was a sensor. Died again 4wheel drive light came on. Said it was a module. Now they say its the rear differential and its on back order and can take up to 2 weeks. This vehicle is not safe. Transmission constantly goes out. Afraid my family will get hurt

- Cross Lanes, WV, USA

Jul 142018

Cherokee

When using the cruise control it excelerates when going downhill and doesn't disengage when breaking or turning off the cruise control. This has been a continuing problem.

- Coupeville, WA, USA

Jun 272018

Cherokee

My Jeep in currently being serviced for the third time, same problem. My Jeep will stop on the highway, at highway speeds, transmission goes to neutral, engine idles. You stop the car, shift to park and turn the engine off, then you can start it up, all the dash board lights are lit and when you shift to drive it bangs. This same scenario has happened over 20 times.

- Arnold, MD, USA

May 152018

Cherokee

Car shut off then cranked back up began to drive car showed 80 mph only going 45 car running sluggish and engine revving up car then showed service transmission and shut off now service light is on only owned the car for a week seen lots of issues online with this same problem have kids and feel this is unsafe to drive dealer is looking at vehicle tomm.

- Prattville, AL, USA

Apr 042016

Cherokee

I have lost speed acceleration control while driving on the highway several times. I lose power than it comes back a few seconds later. Very scary

- Raritan, NJ, USA

Mar 152018

Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The consumer stated it was a wire harness malfuction. The vehicle is effected while in motion, and shifts to neutral state then stops due to loss of power. After car is turned on power is restored with trouble codes appear with no reasoning. The wire harness recall was addressed via reset, but wire harness was not replaced. The vehicle was taken to sherman Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (7601 skokie blvd, skokie, il 60077, 866-650-8000) the failure mileage was 45,000.

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Feb 032018

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving unknown speeds in July of 2017, the vehicle stalled and the service transmission and check engine indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a local dealer (darcars Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of rockville, 755 rockville pike, rockville, md 20852), but they were unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. While driving 45 mph, the accelerator pedal was applied, but failed to respond and the vehicle stalled. The service transmission and check engine indicators illuminated again. The local dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 40,729.

- Lafayette, CO, USA

Sep 282017

Cherokee

I had been driving my vehicle on side roads at a speed of approximately 25 mph after having dropped my daughter off at school when all of the sudden out of no where the transmission service came onto my screen on the dash and my Jeep lost power and the brakes locked up and said that I need to service the transmission. Multiple vehicle warning systems started sounding include "check transmission", "put vehicle in park, then select gear", accompanied by warning chimes, the engine light, etc. Vehicle switched gears and was difficult to drive. I will be bringing vehicle to dealership but see from reviewing on-line that this has occurred numerous times with the Jeep Cherokee (2014).

- Suffolk, VA, USA