ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

8.1

$110

2. no solution (23 reports)
  3. flash update (11 reports)
  4. replace transmission (10 reports)
  5. replace valve body (3 reports)
  6. recall transaxle calibration (1 reports)
2014 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 192015

Cherokee Latitude 4X4 9 Speed

I bought this Jeep Latitude 2014 in October 2014. The transmission problem started immediately. We kept reading the owners manual to see if there was something we were doing wrong. Sometimes it drives fine but when it starts it's scary. I have had this Jeep back to the dealership multiple times. And every time they look at me like I'm stupid. Then I start getting the recalls I thought, thank god there's hope. Not even close!!! The last time I took it back to the dealership was June 2017. I was told that they updated the computer module and that it was fixed. NOT!!! It was a touch better but after taking a short trip upstate it became soooooo much worse. I spent a lot of money on this Jeep and for the extended warranty!!! Something needs to be done!!! My family doesn't feel safe in this vehicle!!! You can get serious whiplash from this transmission!!!!!

- Deanna K., Lake Hopatcong, US

Jun 262017

Cherokee Lattitude 3.2L

I had this issue four times now and Jeep was not able to fix. Its still under warranty and dealer refused to give a rental or loner car when they have this issue. And they say they don't have appointments for a week. I am using Uber every day to commute to work, we only have one car for the family, its been very difficult. Called Jeep customer service like 5 times for rental car and they say they should get manger approval for this and they are delaying this from past three days.

Its the worst car and I will never buy anything from Chrysler.

- Satish C., Scottsdale, AZ, US

Feb 282014

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Transmission is a POS needs to be replaced with new one !

- Guy M., Hopatcong, NJ, US

Sep 012014

Cherokee Limited 3.2L

2014 Jeep Cherokee 9-speed transmission is a piece of junk. The dealer has tried the software "fix" Jeep recommends several times to no avail. It is becoming dangerous shifting gears because of the lack of acceleration and stalling. The entire transmission needs to be replaced as do the yahoo's at the dealership and the yahoo's at Jeep who decided to put this in.

- thompco8, Chicago, IL, US

Apr 142017

Cherokee Sport

The car would jump every time it was put into gear. After bringing it in 4 times for transmission related issues the dealership finally had a tech drive the car and he was able to duplicate the concern so they replaced the valve body. The car no longer jumps when put into gear but the shifting is as rough as ever. This car is a lemon and I am so frustrated that they cannot fix the issues that I am ready to trade it in and take the financial hit.

- scash, Fort Myers, US

Apr 022016

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

Car has bad pickup. It shifts roughly. It is a brand-new car, with less than 10,000 miles on it when the problem occored. It never went away and only got worse.

- Anthony C., Marlboro Township, US

Feb 212014

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

Had my Jeep Cherokee 2014 serviced 2 times for hard shifting of the transmission and lurching, jumping and sudden shut off. They said it was software but I still have the same problems.

- Mitch L., Lockport, IL, US

May 052014

Cherokee Limited V6

• CVT transmission

Have had problems with the transmission from the day we bought our vehicle. Love the vehicle itself and would keep it if it weren't for the transmission problem. Will be returning when lease it up.

- Jim C., West Fargo, ND, US

Dec 012015

Cherokee Latitude 4 cyl

PERTINENT INFORMATION:

CHRYSLER JEEP LLC CASE MANAGER FOR CASE #29804550: LYRISSA ID#: LS1521, HAS NOT CONTACTED/NOTIFIED ME OF ANYTHING ABOUT MY TRANSMISSION ISSUE INCLUDING THE CLOSING OF MY ACCOUNT.

SERVICE MANAGER FOR CORWIN DODGE: DARRIN LINDEMAN, NEVER NOTIFIED ME THAT THE JEEP WAS "OPERATING AS DESIGNED" (SO SICK OF HEARING THIS)VIA PAPERWORK, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FILE DISPUTE WITH CORWIN DODGE. JEEP TRANSMISSION IS NOT OPERATING PROPERLY!

DISTRICT MANAGER OF CHRYSLER LLC: TONY AGULIO, NEVER NOTIFIED ME THAT THE JEEP WAS "OPERATING AS DESIGNED" (SO SICK OF HEARING THIS)VIA PAPERWORK, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FILE DISPUTE. JEEP TRANSMISSION IS NOT OPERATING PROPERLY!

CHRYSLER LLC, FIELD ENGINEER/FIELD MANAGER/STAR ADVISOR: TYLER YOMAN, NEVER NOTIFIED ME THAT THE JEEP WAS "OPERATING AS DESIGNED"(SO SICK OF HEARING THIS) VIA PAPERWORK, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FILE DISPUTE. JEEP TRANSMISSION IS NOT OPERATING PROPERLY!

I WILL BE DROPPING OFF 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE ON Friday, August 12, 2016 @ 4:30 PM AT CORWIN DODGE, SPRINGFIELD MO. 65807, FOR TRANSMISSION ISSUES. DEALER CODE: 74-45581 Dealer Name : CORWIN DODGE OF SPRINGFIELD Dealer Phone : 417-862-9272

THE ISSUE WAS IN FACT DUPLICATED BY SERVICE ADVISOR DAVID O'NEIL SEVERAL TIMES WHEN I FIRST HAD THE ISSUE. HIS WAY TO FIX IT WAS THE UPDATES. THESE UPDATES DID NOT WORK AND ONLY MADE IT WORSE. HE WILL BE ABLE TO CONFIRM AS WELL AS THE FIRST THREE TO FOUR SERVICE RECORDS. ALSO, I HAVE NOT INITIATED THE LEMON LAW PROCESS YET, I AM NEEDING TO KNOW MY OPTIONS.

PLEASE, LET IT BE KNOWN THAT ON 7-26-2016 @4:30PM, YOUNGBLOOD JEEP, SERVICE MANAGER, MR. PHILLIPS; CHRYSLER LLC, DISTRICT SERVICE SERVICE AND PARTS MANAGER, TONY AGUILLO; AND DISTRICT FIELD ENGINEER, TYLER YOEMANS, HAVE DENIED ME TO GET MY 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE SERVICED AT YOUNGBLOOD JEEP. THEY ALSO STATED VERBALLY THAT LEMON LAW IS NOT AN OPTION BECAUSE ITS PAST 24,000 MILES AND/OR THE TWO YEAR PURCHASE DATE OF THE NEW VEHICLE. FIRST, IT WAS PURCHASED NEW (10 MILES) FROM YOUNGBLOOD JEEP. SECOND, INITIATED SERVICE RECORDS SINCE THE VEHICLE HAD APPROX. 6,000 MILES ON IT. THIRD, PURCHASE DATE WAS 10/4/2014. TWO YEARS FROM THAT IS 10/4/2016.

IN SAYING THAT, I WENT TO YOUR MANAGER MR. PHILLIPS AND HE NOTIFIED ME THAT HE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO WORK ON THE 2014 JEEP UNLESS I WAS ABLE TO PAY THE DIAGNOSTIC FEE OF $125. I AM CONFUSED SIR, I HAVE THE 100,000 POWER TRAN WARRANTY AND THE EXTENDED ROUTE 66 WARRANTY THROUGH BLU CURRENT. BEFORE I UTILIZE THE ROUTE 66 EXTENDED WARRANTY I WOULD LIKE TO UTILIZE MY 100,000 POWERTRAN WARRANTY. I WAS TURNED AWAY WHEN DROPPING ME VEHICLE TO GET IT SERVICED. THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE THAT I PURCHASED IN 10/2014 IS EXTREMELY UNSAFE.

I WAS ADVISED THAT I SHOULD BRING THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE TO A "TRANSMISSION SPECIALIST" NOT BUSINESS RELATED TO YOUNGBLOOD AND/OR CHRYSLER. WHY WOULD I DO THIS IF YOU ARE THE PROFESSIONALS OF JEEP SERVICE? I AM ONCE AGAIN DUMBFOUNDED AT HOW/WHY THIS IS HAPPENING. I WAS ALSO ADVISED BY MY. PHILLIPS THAT THE OPERATING DESIGN OF THE TRANSMISSION IS TO COMPLETELY STOP THEN ACCELERATE AFTER BEING COMPLETELY STOPPED. TWO THINGS... ONE, IF YOU COME TO A STOP LIGHT AND THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN, I SHOULD STOP BEFORE I ACCELERATE? TWO, WHEN I AM TURNING LEFT AND CROSSING ONCOMING TRAFFIC, I SHOULD STOP EVEN IF I HAVE SIGNIFICANT ROOM TO TURN LEFT?? FINALLY, THIS EXACT SAME VEHICLE THAT I PURCHASED IN 10/2014 HAS NEVER STUTTERED/HESITATED/PAUSED WHEN ACCELERATING AND/OR CROSSING TRAFFIC AND/OR AT A STOP LIGHT. WHEN THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE REACHED APPROXIMATELY 6,000 MILES IS WHEN THE PROBLEMS BEGAN. THEN THE UPDATES STARTED, AND THE TRANSMISSION BECAME WORSE AND WORSE.

WILL YOU PLEASE OFFER SUGGESTIONS IF ANY TO GET THIS RESOLVED? PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCEPT A TRADE IN FOR $12,000 LIKE MR. PHILLIPS SUGGESTED IN THE PAST. THAT WOULD PUT ME UPSIDE DOWN $9,000.

I have never heard of this in an effort to process Lemon Law. If we are unable to duplicate the concerns through driving the vehicle with you as we have done in the past and have not been able to duplicate we will not know what to repair. In previous documents through various sources you have stated that Corwin was able to duplicate the issue and that they were repairing your car. We on the other hand have not been able to duplicate. If you drop the car off here I will not put you into a Youngblood rental due to the issues we have had with renting you a car in the past. Before you drop the vehicle off I recommend you have someone at Chrysler reach out to us and advise us on what they want us to do. Otherwise I do not think we will be able to help.

Sincerely, John Widiger General Manager John Youngblood Motors

5-5-2016 SERVICE LOG FOR SAME TRANSMISSION ISSUE OVER 10 TIMES, OUT OF SERVICE SEVERAL DAYS

6-13-2016 THE ISSUE WAS DUPLICATED BY SERVICE MANAGER JD WEATHERFIELD

7-7-2016, THIS IS THE 3RD ARBITRATION THAT HAS BEEN DENIED.

7-7-2016, REJECTION LETTER FROM ME TO ARBITRATORS ON THE 3RD DECISION LETTER.

WHAT IS A "UNREASONABLE NUMBER OF REPAIR ATTEMPTS OR A UNREASONABLE NUMBER OF DAYS OUT OF SERVICE FOR THE SAME NONCONFORMITY"? 10 TIMES IN 17 MONTHS IS NOT ENOUGH? WHAT IS AN UNREASONABLE AMOUNT?

I WENT TO CORWIN DODGE ON 6-9-16. JD, THE SERVICE DID ADVISE ME THAT HE DUPLICATED THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSMISSION. JD STATED HE WENT TO TURN LEFT THEN ACCELERATED AND IT STUTTERED/HESITATED TO MOVE WHEN THE GAS PEDAL WAS PUSHED. THIS IS A MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE. THEN OTHERS FROM CHRYSLER WERE UNABLE TO DUPLICATE YESTERDAY. I AM SORRY THEY COULD NOT GET THE TRANSMISSION TO HESITATE AGAIN, BUT THE FACT CLEARLY REMAINS THAT JD, THE CORWIN DODGE SERVICE MANAGER HAD DUPLICATED THIS SAME ISSUE/PROBLEM WITH THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE. THE SAME WAY THAT THE TRANSMISSION WAS DUPLICATED PRIOR TO THE NEW TRANSMISSION. PRIOR TO THAT SERVICE MANAGER, DAVID O'NEIL, FROM YOUNGBLOOD DIAGNOSED AND DUPLICATED THE HESITATION/STUTTERING. FACT, THIS IS THE 3RD TIME (AT LEAST) THAT A SERVICE MANAGER HAS DIAGNOSED/DUPLICATED THE PROBLEM! NOTE: I HAVE NOT HAD A SAFE VEHICLE TO DRIVE IN 6 MONTHS AND AM STILL PAYING $370 MO FOR A BROKE JEEP??? WHAT GIVES?

- skidog, Nixa, MO, USA

Aug 312016

Cherokee

First time we drove our brand new car off the lot there were transmission problems and we had to take it back to the dealer. This is the second time. Driving to work with kids in the car in the rain. Was fine last night. Now check transmission and emergency brake lights are on.

Update from Aug 31, 2016: Constant transmission problems.

- Dee S., Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mar 202017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

car hesitates to move specially if you are doing a rolling stop

- Jeegar B., Davis, US

Aug 222016

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

I have had numerous incidents where the transmission shifts unreliably and dangerously. Of most concerns, I have had it repeatedly both shift to neutral, or shift to a much higher gear when trying to merge with traffic from a stop. It is scary to merge with traffic only to have the car lose power dramatically. Sometimes when pressing the gas pedal, the car just coasts for a second or so. Apparently one of the fixes was to keep the transmission from shifting to 2nd or first when slowing - you have to stop completely. at 3 mph, there is no acceleration available in 3rd gear. While there have been a couple of software updates, they have actually made these problem worse. I am the only driver, so it is not an issue with adaptive software being confused by multiple drivers. The dealer provides nothing but doubletalk and apparently is not being supported by FCA.

- Ken J., Boulder, CO, USA

Dec 122016

Cherokee Trailhawk 2.4L

The Jeep would hesitate when shifting into gear and then "jump" into gears. I was initially told the car is new 20,500 MILES and needs to be "broken in". However, when shifting from first to second gear or second to third gear the car shifts really hard, enough that my head hits the back of the seat from whiplash. On my daily drive home in bumper to bumper traffic, when stopped and then letting off the brake and then easing back on the brake, the car will jerk forward. The dealership thought that a software update would fix the problem, it did not. I've taken it in for the same issue 3 times. The 9 speed transmission is a horrible design. The dealership has been very helpful tho. No complaints about the dealership, they are doing the best they can to keep the customer satisfied.

- Edward C., Harlingen, TX, USA

Dec 112016

Cherokee Latitude V6

So let me start with me buying a brand new jeep about 2 1/2 years ago. So I always heard Jeeps hold there value and run like a charm. Well mine is a bad luck Charm. So where do I start, my shifter start to light up and then my window wipers would come on. They said its a electrical issue just had to be updated. So recently my engine cut off in the middle of the Park way in North Jersey saying I needed my transmission service I'm now hour away from home, put it in park pull off the side of the road call my husband and restarted the jeep. It was grinding and light all lite up in the jeep. Wow the longest ride in my life home. Call the jeep dealership the next day and took it to be repaired, as they say there was a recall. About 2 days later the jeep was done and they said they fix it . Well it happens again, took it back to the dealership they have my jeep for 3 weeks and had to make a special order for the part, Chrysler had a case opened and said they were rushing the order ok that didn't happen either. After three week having my jeep it finally was repaired per them. Well a week after having my jeep on a Sunday we were driving the jeep shut down in the middle of the highway. We restarted and about 1/2 mile down the road jeep engine shuts down again, started again drove to my daughter house parked the jeep and took my husband jeep for where we need to go. Went back to my daughter house took my jeep backing out of the driveway jeep cut off again this happen one more time. The next day my husband drove the jeep everything in the jeep lite up he took pictures and a video. We called Chrysler and they assign a case worker which does not return calls, her name is Kenya. We took it to a dealership about hour from our condo because all the other dealership are 2 week behind. The dealership tells Chrysler we need a new transmission they denied there request and said it only needs a line from the transmission to the electrical part. So that is being fix now. My husband call Kenya again for 4 days straight and left message phone numbers no call from her. He calls today twice 2/2/17 she has left for the day, ask to talk to a manager and he has left for the day. if you read a woman in NJ has been in a jeep accident everyone will know why and Chrysler will be at fault. I have never been so miss treated so poorly. By the way my jeep only has 36,060 miles on it and was always maintained by Chrysler shops. So we are suppose to get our jeep back and we are going to get rid of the jeep. I feel sorry for anyone that will purchase this used jeep now and the headaches the will assume. I putting this out there to let everyone know good luck and be safe apparently Chrysler does not want you too.

- dforce13, Union, NJ, USA

Feb 012014

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L I-4

I have reported to NTSB already. No one has ever done more than acknowledge my submission.

Without a doubt the worst transmission I have ever driven. It stutters, bucks, has lazy shifts, has abrupt hard shifts, will not shift into 9th gear, downshifts violently when coming to a stop, has front drivel ine shimmy when accelerating (not all the time). It has been called in several times for reprogramming without ever phasing how bad the transmission worked, or not. One time the service personnel told me they got the transmission to shift into 9th gear at 92 MPH but it would not remain there but that was how it was designed to work and there was nothing wrong with it.

- Tom McCord M., Oviedo, FL, US

Dec 302016

Cherokee Limited

Transmission went out again (3rd time). It is really dangerous, the car just stops moving.

- regan80, Pearland, TX, US

Jan 022016

Cherokee Trailhawk

Jeep will not go when stepping on the gas. It takes it a little while to actually kick into gear, then once it does, it jerks into gear. Once it's going, it shifts very roughly. Very scary when pulling into traffic. You never know if it will actually "go" or not.

- Chrissi W., Jackson, MO, US

Mar 022014

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

Shifting issue in the first few gears, 1,2,3. Rough shifting, had all recalls and flashes done for issue, did not improve.

- frankiek, Dyer, IN, US

Jun 012015

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

This issue has gotten progressively worse over time: from the time you put the car into Drive and step on the gas, the vehicle hesitates before jumping into gear. In some cases it lurches into gear, in other cases it has almost caused us to get into an accident because the transmission stalls in incoming traffic. We have been told it is just a software update and also told that if there are no codes there is nothing wrong with the transmission (yeah right. I sold transmissions for almost a decade. You can have transmission issues without a transmission code). Dealership said to bring it in...again... and said they would "take care of us." I'm trying not to be emotional (angry) about this; however, we paid a lot of money for this car and it is not working. Not to mention all of the other recalls!!! Don't buy a Jeep

- sakate, Beaverton, OR, USA

Oct 272016

Cherokee Sport 4 cyl

Took Jeep into local dealership on 10/19/2016, was told it needed a new transmission. So they provided me with a rental and said it would take approximately one week to fix. Was told on Wednesday October 26th that vehicle was ready to pick up. Drove on this day and it didn't seem any better, but did not appear to be any worse. The next day Thursday the 27th is when the issue started. Was parked at my daughters school and attempted to leave. Vehicle doesn't move for about 3 to 5 seconds while you are pressing the gas and then it finally starts and lunches forward. It then starts to move but continues to shake and lung through the next 2 gears. And then it will continue to go. Since then more than 1/2 of the time I leave from a standing position the vehicle stops does nothing, and then lunges forward as it catches gears. have contacted the local dealership and will be taking the vehicle down to them next week again :(

- Stacie S., Farmington, NM, USA