ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2014 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: not shifting properly

Not Shifting Properly

2014 Jeep Cherokee (Page 2 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

8.1

2. no solution (22 reports)
  3. flash update (10 reports)
  4. replace transmission (7 reports)
  5. replace valve body (3 reports)
  6. recall transaxle calibration (1 reports)
2014 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Dec 012015

Cherokee Latitude 4 cyl

PERTINENT INFORMATION:

CHRYSLER JEEP LLC CASE MANAGER FOR CASE #29804550: LYRISSA ID#: LS1521, HAS NOT CONTACTED/NOTIFIED ME OF ANYTHING ABOUT MY TRANSMISSION ISSUE INCLUDING THE CLOSING OF MY ACCOUNT.

SERVICE MANAGER FOR CORWIN DODGE: DARRIN LINDEMAN, NEVER NOTIFIED ME THAT THE JEEP WAS "OPERATING AS DESIGNED" (SO SICK OF HEARING THIS)VIA PAPERWORK, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FILE DISPUTE WITH CORWIN DODGE. JEEP TRANSMISSION IS NOT OPERATING PROPERLY!

DISTRICT MANAGER OF CHRYSLER LLC: TONY AGULIO, NEVER NOTIFIED ME THAT THE JEEP WAS "OPERATING AS DESIGNED" (SO SICK OF HEARING THIS)VIA PAPERWORK, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FILE DISPUTE. JEEP TRANSMISSION IS NOT OPERATING PROPERLY!

CHRYSLER LLC, FIELD ENGINEER/FIELD MANAGER/STAR ADVISOR: TYLER YOMAN, NEVER NOTIFIED ME THAT THE JEEP WAS "OPERATING AS DESIGNED"(SO SICK OF HEARING THIS) VIA PAPERWORK, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FILE DISPUTE. JEEP TRANSMISSION IS NOT OPERATING PROPERLY!

I WILL BE DROPPING OFF 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE ON Friday, August 12, 2016 @ 4:30 PM AT CORWIN DODGE, SPRINGFIELD MO. 65807, FOR TRANSMISSION ISSUES. DEALER CODE: 74-45581 Dealer Name : CORWIN DODGE OF SPRINGFIELD Dealer Phone : 417-862-9272

THE ISSUE WAS IN FACT DUPLICATED BY SERVICE ADVISOR DAVID O'NEIL SEVERAL TIMES WHEN I FIRST HAD THE ISSUE. HIS WAY TO FIX IT WAS THE UPDATES. THESE UPDATES DID NOT WORK AND ONLY MADE IT WORSE. HE WILL BE ABLE TO CONFIRM AS WELL AS THE FIRST THREE TO FOUR SERVICE RECORDS. ALSO, I HAVE NOT INITIATED THE LEMON LAW PROCESS YET, I AM NEEDING TO KNOW MY OPTIONS.

PLEASE, LET IT BE KNOWN THAT ON 7-26-2016 @4:30PM, YOUNGBLOOD JEEP, SERVICE MANAGER, MR. PHILLIPS; CHRYSLER LLC, DISTRICT SERVICE SERVICE AND PARTS MANAGER, TONY AGUILLO; AND DISTRICT FIELD ENGINEER, TYLER YOEMANS, HAVE DENIED ME TO GET MY 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE SERVICED AT YOUNGBLOOD JEEP. THEY ALSO STATED VERBALLY THAT LEMON LAW IS NOT AN OPTION BECAUSE ITS PAST 24,000 MILES AND/OR THE TWO YEAR PURCHASE DATE OF THE NEW VEHICLE. FIRST, IT WAS PURCHASED NEW (10 MILES) FROM YOUNGBLOOD JEEP. SECOND, INITIATED SERVICE RECORDS SINCE THE VEHICLE HAD APPROX. 6,000 MILES ON IT. THIRD, PURCHASE DATE WAS 10/4/2014. TWO YEARS FROM THAT IS 10/4/2016.

IN SAYING THAT, I WENT TO YOUR MANAGER MR. PHILLIPS AND HE NOTIFIED ME THAT HE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO WORK ON THE 2014 JEEP UNLESS I WAS ABLE TO PAY THE DIAGNOSTIC FEE OF $125. I AM CONFUSED SIR, I HAVE THE 100,000 POWER TRAN WARRANTY AND THE EXTENDED ROUTE 66 WARRANTY THROUGH BLU CURRENT. BEFORE I UTILIZE THE ROUTE 66 EXTENDED WARRANTY I WOULD LIKE TO UTILIZE MY 100,000 POWERTRAN WARRANTY. I WAS TURNED AWAY WHEN DROPPING ME VEHICLE TO GET IT SERVICED. THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE THAT I PURCHASED IN 10/2014 IS EXTREMELY UNSAFE.

I WAS ADVISED THAT I SHOULD BRING THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE TO A "TRANSMISSION SPECIALIST" NOT BUSINESS RELATED TO YOUNGBLOOD AND/OR CHRYSLER. WHY WOULD I DO THIS IF YOU ARE THE PROFESSIONALS OF JEEP SERVICE? I AM ONCE AGAIN DUMBFOUNDED AT HOW/WHY THIS IS HAPPENING. I WAS ALSO ADVISED BY MY. PHILLIPS THAT THE OPERATING DESIGN OF THE TRANSMISSION IS TO COMPLETELY STOP THEN ACCELERATE AFTER BEING COMPLETELY STOPPED. TWO THINGS... ONE, IF YOU COME TO A STOP LIGHT AND THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN, I SHOULD STOP BEFORE I ACCELERATE? TWO, WHEN I AM TURNING LEFT AND CROSSING ONCOMING TRAFFIC, I SHOULD STOP EVEN IF I HAVE SIGNIFICANT ROOM TO TURN LEFT?? FINALLY, THIS EXACT SAME VEHICLE THAT I PURCHASED IN 10/2014 HAS NEVER STUTTERED/HESITATED/PAUSED WHEN ACCELERATING AND/OR CROSSING TRAFFIC AND/OR AT A STOP LIGHT. WHEN THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE REACHED APPROXIMATELY 6,000 MILES IS WHEN THE PROBLEMS BEGAN. THEN THE UPDATES STARTED, AND THE TRANSMISSION BECAME WORSE AND WORSE.

WILL YOU PLEASE OFFER SUGGESTIONS IF ANY TO GET THIS RESOLVED? PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCEPT A TRADE IN FOR $12,000 LIKE MR. PHILLIPS SUGGESTED IN THE PAST. THAT WOULD PUT ME UPSIDE DOWN $9,000.

I have never heard of this in an effort to process Lemon Law. If we are unable to duplicate the concerns through driving the vehicle with you as we have done in the past and have not been able to duplicate we will not know what to repair. In previous documents through various sources you have stated that Corwin was able to duplicate the issue and that they were repairing your car. We on the other hand have not been able to duplicate. If you drop the car off here I will not put you into a Youngblood rental due to the issues we have had with renting you a car in the past. Before you drop the vehicle off I recommend you have someone at Chrysler reach out to us and advise us on what they want us to do. Otherwise I do not think we will be able to help.

Sincerely, John Widiger General Manager John Youngblood Motors

5-5-2016 SERVICE LOG FOR SAME TRANSMISSION ISSUE OVER 10 TIMES, OUT OF SERVICE SEVERAL DAYS

6-13-2016 THE ISSUE WAS DUPLICATED BY SERVICE MANAGER JD WEATHERFIELD

7-7-2016, THIS IS THE 3RD ARBITRATION THAT HAS BEEN DENIED.

7-7-2016, REJECTION LETTER FROM ME TO ARBITRATORS ON THE 3RD DECISION LETTER.

WHAT IS A "UNREASONABLE NUMBER OF REPAIR ATTEMPTS OR A UNREASONABLE NUMBER OF DAYS OUT OF SERVICE FOR THE SAME NONCONFORMITY"? 10 TIMES IN 17 MONTHS IS NOT ENOUGH? WHAT IS AN UNREASONABLE AMOUNT?

I WENT TO CORWIN DODGE ON 6-9-16. JD, THE SERVICE DID ADVISE ME THAT HE DUPLICATED THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSMISSION. JD STATED HE WENT TO TURN LEFT THEN ACCELERATED AND IT STUTTERED/HESITATED TO MOVE WHEN THE GAS PEDAL WAS PUSHED. THIS IS A MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE. THEN OTHERS FROM CHRYSLER WERE UNABLE TO DUPLICATE YESTERDAY. I AM SORRY THEY COULD NOT GET THE TRANSMISSION TO HESITATE AGAIN, BUT THE FACT CLEARLY REMAINS THAT JD, THE CORWIN DODGE SERVICE MANAGER HAD DUPLICATED THIS SAME ISSUE/PROBLEM WITH THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE. THE SAME WAY THAT THE TRANSMISSION WAS DUPLICATED PRIOR TO THE NEW TRANSMISSION. PRIOR TO THAT SERVICE MANAGER, DAVID O'NEIL, FROM YOUNGBLOOD DIAGNOSED AND DUPLICATED THE HESITATION/STUTTERING. FACT, THIS IS THE 3RD TIME (AT LEAST) THAT A SERVICE MANAGER HAS DIAGNOSED/DUPLICATED THE PROBLEM! NOTE: I HAVE NOT HAD A SAFE VEHICLE TO DRIVE IN 6 MONTHS AND AM STILL PAYING $370 MO FOR A BROKE JEEP??? WHAT GIVES?

- skidog, Nixa, MO, USA

Aug 312016

Cherokee

First time we drove our brand new car off the lot there were transmission problems and we had to take it back to the dealer. This is the second time. Driving to work with kids in the car in the rain. Was fine last night. Now check transmission and emergency brake lights are on.

Update from Aug 31, 2016: Constant transmission problems.

- Dee S., Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mar 202017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

car hesitates to move specially if you are doing a rolling stop

- Jeegar B., Davis, US

Aug 222016

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

I have had numerous incidents where the transmission shifts unreliably and dangerously. Of most concerns, I have had it repeatedly both shift to neutral, or shift to a much higher gear when trying to merge with traffic from a stop. It is scary to merge with traffic only to have the car lose power dramatically. Sometimes when pressing the gas pedal, the car just coasts for a second or so. Apparently one of the fixes was to keep the transmission from shifting to 2nd or first when slowing - you have to stop completely. at 3 mph, there is no acceleration available in 3rd gear. While there have been a couple of software updates, they have actually made these problem worse. I am the only driver, so it is not an issue with adaptive software being confused by multiple drivers. The dealer provides nothing but doubletalk and apparently is not being supported by FCA.

- Ken J., Boulder, CO, USA

Dec 122016

Cherokee Trailhawk 2.4L

The Jeep would hesitate when shifting into gear and then "jump" into gears. I was initially told the car is new 20,500 MILES and needs to be "broken in". However, when shifting from first to second gear or second to third gear the car shifts really hard, enough that my head hits the back of the seat from whiplash. On my daily drive home in bumper to bumper traffic, when stopped and then letting off the brake and then easing back on the brake, the car will jerk forward. The dealership thought that a software update would fix the problem, it did not. I've taken it in for the same issue 3 times. The 9 speed transmission is a horrible design. The dealership has been very helpful tho. No complaints about the dealership, they are doing the best they can to keep the customer satisfied.

- Edward C., Harlingen, TX, USA

Dec 112016

Cherokee Latitude V6

So let me start with me buying a brand new jeep about 2 1/2 years ago. So I always heard Jeeps hold there value and run like a charm. Well mine is a bad luck Charm. So where do I start, my shifter start to light up and then my window wipers would come on. They said its a electrical issue just had to be updated. So recently my engine cut off in the middle of the Park way in North Jersey saying I needed my transmission service I'm now hour away from home, put it in park pull off the side of the road call my husband and restarted the jeep. It was grinding and light all lite up in the jeep. Wow the longest ride in my life home. Call the jeep dealership the next day and took it to be repaired, as they say there was a recall. About 2 days later the jeep was done and they said they fix it . Well it happens again, took it back to the dealership they have my jeep for 3 weeks and had to make a special order for the part, Chrysler had a case opened and said they were rushing the order ok that didn't happen either. After three week having my jeep it finally was repaired per them. Well a week after having my jeep on a Sunday we were driving the jeep shut down in the middle of the highway. We restarted and about 1/2 mile down the road jeep engine shuts down again, started again drove to my daughter house parked the jeep and took my husband jeep for where we need to go. Went back to my daughter house took my jeep backing out of the driveway jeep cut off again this happen one more time. The next day my husband drove the jeep everything in the jeep lite up he took pictures and a video. We called Chrysler and they assign a case worker which does not return calls, her name is Kenya. We took it to a dealership about hour from our condo because all the other dealership are 2 week behind. The dealership tells Chrysler we need a new transmission they denied there request and said it only needs a line from the transmission to the electrical part. So that is being fix now. My husband call Kenya again for 4 days straight and left message phone numbers no call from her. He calls today twice 2/2/17 she has left for the day, ask to talk to a manager and he has left for the day. if you read a woman in NJ has been in a jeep accident everyone will know why and Chrysler will be at fault. I have never been so miss treated so poorly. By the way my jeep only has 36,060 miles on it and was always maintained by Chrysler shops. So we are suppose to get our jeep back and we are going to get rid of the jeep. I feel sorry for anyone that will purchase this used jeep now and the headaches the will assume. I putting this out there to let everyone know good luck and be safe apparently Chrysler does not want you too.

- dforce13, Union, NJ, USA

Feb 012014

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L I-4

I have reported to NTSB already. No one has ever done more than acknowledge my submission.

Without a doubt the worst transmission I have ever driven. It stutters, bucks, has lazy shifts, has abrupt hard shifts, will not shift into 9th gear, downshifts violently when coming to a stop, has front drivel ine shimmy when accelerating (not all the time). It has been called in several times for reprogramming without ever phasing how bad the transmission worked, or not. One time the service personnel told me they got the transmission to shift into 9th gear at 92 MPH but it would not remain there but that was how it was designed to work and there was nothing wrong with it.

- Tom McCord M., Oviedo, FL, US

Dec 302016

Cherokee Limited

Transmission went out again (3rd time). It is really dangerous, the car just stops moving.

- regan80, Pearland, TX, US

Jan 022016

Cherokee Trailhawk

Jeep will not go when stepping on the gas. It takes it a little while to actually kick into gear, then once it does, it jerks into gear. Once it's going, it shifts very roughly. Very scary when pulling into traffic. You never know if it will actually "go" or not.

- Chrissi W., Jackson, MO, US

Mar 022014

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

Shifting issue in the first few gears, 1,2,3. Rough shifting, had all recalls and flashes done for issue, did not improve.

- frankiek, Dyer, IN, US

Jun 012015

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

This issue has gotten progressively worse over time: from the time you put the car into Drive and step on the gas, the vehicle hesitates before jumping into gear. In some cases it lurches into gear, in other cases it has almost caused us to get into an accident because the transmission stalls in incoming traffic. We have been told it is just a software update and also told that if there are no codes there is nothing wrong with the transmission (yeah right. I sold transmissions for almost a decade. You can have transmission issues without a transmission code). Dealership said to bring it in...again... and said they would "take care of us." I'm trying not to be emotional (angry) about this; however, we paid a lot of money for this car and it is not working. Not to mention all of the other recalls!!! Don't buy a Jeep

- sakate, Beaverton, OR, USA

Oct 272016

Cherokee Sport 4 cyl

Took Jeep into local dealership on 10/19/2016, was told it needed a new transmission. So they provided me with a rental and said it would take approximately one week to fix. Was told on Wednesday October 26th that vehicle was ready to pick up. Drove on this day and it didn't seem any better, but did not appear to be any worse. The next day Thursday the 27th is when the issue started. Was parked at my daughters school and attempted to leave. Vehicle doesn't move for about 3 to 5 seconds while you are pressing the gas and then it finally starts and lunches forward. It then starts to move but continues to shake and lung through the next 2 gears. And then it will continue to go. Since then more than 1/2 of the time I leave from a standing position the vehicle stops does nothing, and then lunges forward as it catches gears. have contacted the local dealership and will be taking the vehicle down to them next week again :(

Oct 012016

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6L

I've been in the automotive business for over 35 years starting my career as a technician for BMW and working my way up to Service Manager. Now I'm a service Director for General Motors Dealership. So needless to say I think I might know a little something about motor vehicles.

I purchased my 2014 Jeep Traihawk for my wife with the intention of giving this vehicle to my daughter when she is ready to drive. Well, lets just say that I wouldn't put the best of drivers behind the wheel of this car. This vehicle has been in the shop more times than I care to count. The transmission characteristics are just horrible and the amount of recall are just uncanny. This vehicle is just a really bad accident waiting to happen. I'm paying for a vehicle that my wife is just scared to drive, but because its her only car is forced to drive it. I want out of it.

I called Jeep customer relations, but I'm still waiting for them to call me with a resolution. Again I'm going to have to take it back in to the shop only to have the same issue again.

- Alberto L., Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Jul 162014

Cherokee Limited V6

I am told all they can do is to reset the transmission.

- rcwi, Suamico, WI, USA

Oct 092015

Cherokee Sport 4 cyl

Purchased New Cherokee in September 2015. Drove for a week or so when I started noticing when we were driving and first started accelerating that vehicle would hardly move or progress and then it would jump into the next gear. Driving up any hills is almost impossible and it appears to never leaves 2nd gear on hills. We have a slightly inclined driveway and every time we pull in the vehicle basically stops and then lunges toward the garage. Our daughter has been thrown into the back of the drivers seat while trying to get into our garage. This vehicle has managed to throw her forward, even with her seat belt on. Was very surprised that a vehicle we have owned for such a short period of time was behaving this way. Read reviews online and thought maybe we just simply needed to approach taking off more gently. This didn't prevent the lurching from one gear to the next. The worst case of course being pulling into our driveway.

Oct 072016

Cherokee Sport 4 cyl

Husband had vehicle out of town some 8 hours from home. He gets in the vehicle after it had been left at the airport and the check engine light is on. The next morning he went to Brighton Colorado Jeep Dealer and had them run a diagnosis on the car. The company provided him a list of issues that were coming up and codes that the diagnosis sent him. Was told that basically the vehicle needed an update of some sort and they preformed those updates and he was good to go. He left town again and the vehicle was parked for a week with nobody driving it. Upon his arrival home on October October 16. Got in the car and the Check Engine light is back on. he backs the vehicle out of his friends driveway and puts it in drive to take off. The vehicle lurches forward and runs into a curb and dies. Husband starts the car again and attempts to drive off. Again the vehicle lurches through the gears and finally drives. The next morning he attempts to take it to the dealership again before returning home. Was unable to get in so he drove home. Thank god he actually made it. On October 18th I took it in to our local dealership. Was told they were not certain of the code that popped up but we would need to bring the car back in the morning and leave it for them to investigate further. 2 days later the dealership called and said they were going to have to put a new transmission in the car. We would be in a rental for at least a week.

Oct 242016

Cherokee Limited 4-cyl

Accelerated after turning to go uphill. Vehicle slowed considerably and the malfunction indicator ligbt, electronic stability control, and electronic throttle control lights came on. I was unable to dive faster than 25 mph, and engine revved between 2 and 3 rpms. Pulled over and turned car off. Restarted vehicle.

- Amber P., Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 232016

Cherokee Limited 4-cyl

Accelerated to merge into interstate, and it was rough. About a minute later the malfunction indicator light, electronic stability control, and electronic throttle control warnings lit up. We pulled over, restarted the car and made it home. It was a Sunday. So the dealership wasn't open for us to bring it in

Update from Nov 7, 2016: Dealership informed us that the Jeep needs a new engine, which I believe Chrysler is covering.

- Amber P., Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 272016

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

Same story, transmission was flashed and it still does not operate properly.

- Renee P., Milford, MI, USA

Jun 022016

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

We tried a new dealer, Pinckney Jeep, MI and they were a little better to deal with but they did not have a fix at the time we brought it in. The transmission is still defective.

- Renee P., Milford, MI, USA