2014 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: not shifting properly

Not Shifting Properly

2014 Jeep Cherokee (Page 1 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

8.1

2. no solution (19 reports)
  3. flash update (10 reports)
  4. replace transmission (7 reports)
  5. replace valve body (3 reports)
  6. recall transaxle calibration (1 reports)
2014 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 182018

Cherokee Lartitude 3.2L V6

Vehicle jerking, lunging and failing to shift at low speeds. Transmission delay in shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Jeep service road test and "quick learn" performed on vehicle. Returned to service without repair as test drive could not replicate problem.

- , Ocala, FL, US

Aug 012016

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

I first noticed this problem around 10,000 miles but didn't mention it until I had service. I have been mentioning it since and have been told it was fixed through a software update. Now I am being told there will eventually be a recall, but every time I ask, they say it is not ready yet or think there is not going to be a recall.

- , Monument, US

Sep 282017

Cherokee Sport 2.4L I4 9 Speed

I was driving at approximately 25 MPH when the transmission warning lights, ABS and traction control lights all came on and warning signs signaled. The car automatically shifted to a lower gear and was hard to drive. I pulled over. The dash read "CHECK TRANSMISSION" and "PUT VEHICLE IN PARK AND THEN SELECT GEAR". I turned vehicle off and restarted a couple of times. After a few minutes, only the engine light came on. Vehicle remained in a low gear, was drive-able. I drove home and made an immediate appointment with Jeep. Jeep provided a software update, flashed the TCM (update #21). Apparently this transmission engine problem has been occurring since this vehicle hit the pavement and Jeep does not know how to fix, hence having 21 different updates. I am concerned that all Jeep did was to put a band-aid on a large wound. I am afraid to drive my vehicle and if this happens on the highway, I know that I am risking being in an accident.

Update from Oct 1, 2017: The day after I got my car back from Hall CDJR Service Department, I got in the car and started it up to see that all the warning lights were on again (engine, check transmission, stability and ABS). I put the gear in Reverse and the car would not drive. I had shut the car off and started it again. This time, only the engine light came on but when trying to change gears, there was a repeated clicking noise. The vehicle jerked when I placed it in reverse. Needless to say, I had contacted Hall CDJR Service Department and got authorization to have the vehicle towed to the service department. I had to fight to get a loaner car since they will be keeping the vehicle over the weekend. From reading all of the horror stories about this transmission, I have made an appointment with a lawyer. This is a defective product and I do not feel safe keeping this car. There is no fix for this transmission.

- , Suffolk, US

Dec 222017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

I live on a tight budget. Very tight. As a result, there is no room for error. The purchase of this Jeep was an error. I traded in my 2011 Ford Ranger with 168,000 miles on it. It needed to go. I commute 100 miles a day for work and I need a reliable vehicle. I wanted a Jeep and the Cherokee is the only one I could barely afford to get into. I purchased it from Auto Lenders in Lakewood, NJ. All of the vehicles they sell are Certified Pre-owned.

This Jeep, according to CarFax, had no previous problems and was previously leased and turned in with just over 35K miles. I am the second owner. I purchased this Jeep in August 2017. My wife has driven it a couple of times a couple of weeks ago and she said she noticed some clanking and noises coming from the transmission when she put it in gear. I've noticed a few things here and there but nothing severe. Then on December 22, I went to get gas, after I filled up I pulled out of the station and wham! There was nothing. No power as I tried to accelerate into traffic. Then it bucked and clanged and banged... every light on the dash lit up and the "Service Transmission" warning kept flashing. The "D" light was flashing on the dash as well. I limped home after several traffic light close calls.

- , Brick, NJ, US

Dec 192017

Cherokee Lattitude V6

My check transmission light came on. The car is not shifting properly and parking brake is not engaging. I am very worried at what is to come.

- , Portland, OR, US

Aug 232017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L

Continuing Transmission problems...Starts in 3rd gear, very slow to downshift.. never uses 2nd gear. Step on the gas to get going and then slams it into 1st gear. Dealer Installed another new flash update. Think they will stall until out of warranty !!

- , Helena, MT, USA

Aug 312017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

This is a repeat problem with many transmission problems. In this case, many error and warnings were triggered and the vehicle would not move forward or reverse. The dealer says that FCM requires them to clear all error codes and then try to repeat the problem. Since it did not repeat, the dealer says they can do nothing until the problem recurs. Further, they say the only way to be certain the error code will be read and accepted by FCM is if the vehicle is kept running until it arrives at the dealer and the dealer reads the active error codes. Crazy and not practical!

- , Houston, US

Dec 122014

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

Vehicle jumps abruptly when pulling out at a stop sign or red light, Going up a hill it doesn't shift properly. Very erratic. Received a ticket from local police who thought we were trying to peel out due to the transmission. Complain to dealer numerous times and took in for repair to have them just say it needs to be reprogrammed!! Very dissapointed in the vehicles performance and tire wear is progressed by the bad transmission. Anyone who rides in the vehicle askes what is wrong with it and says I should complain to the dealer. The 9 speed transmission definitely had problems this year and Jeep does not want to admit it and replace the transmission!!

- , Jefferson Hills, US

Feb 012017

Cherokee Sport

When I step on the gas, it feels like it barely moves. Sometimes it sounds like I'm driving a racing car, except I'm going really slow. The RPM goes all the way up to 5 and it still moves slow. I feel like it's also using a lot of gas, and it's just getting worse. Sometimes it pulls itself forward, which on several occasions I almost got in a car accident.

- , Itasca, US

Jun 192015

Cherokee Latitude 4X4 9 Speed

I bought this Jeep Latitude 2014 in October 2014. The transmission problem started immediately. We kept reading the owners manual to see if there was something we were doing wrong. Sometimes it drives fine but when it starts it's scary. I have had this Jeep back to the dealership multiple times. And every time they look at me like I'm stupid. Then I start getting the recalls I thought, thank god there's hope. Not even close!!! The last time I took it back to the dealership was June 2017. I was told that they updated the computer module and that it was fixed. NOT!!! It was a touch better but after taking a short trip upstate it became soooooo much worse. I spent a lot of money on this Jeep and for the extended warranty!!! Something needs to be done!!! My family doesn't feel safe in this vehicle!!! You can get serious whiplash from this transmission!!!!!

- , Lake Hopatcong, US

Jun 262017

Cherokee Lattitude 3.2L

I had this issue four times now and Jeep was not able to fix. Its still under warranty and dealer refused to give a rental or loner car when they have this issue. And they say they don't have appointments for a week. I am using Uber every day to commute to work, we only have one car for the family, its been very difficult. Called Jeep customer service like 5 times for rental car and they say they should get manger approval for this and they are delaying this from past three days.

Its the worst car and I will never buy anything from Chrysler.

- , Scottsdale, AZ, US

Feb 282014

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Transmission is a POS needs to be replaced with new one !

- , Hopatcong, NJ, US

Sep 012014

Cherokee Limited 3.2L

2014 Jeep Cherokee 9-speed transmission is a piece of junk. The dealer has tried the software "fix" Jeep recommends several times to no avail. It is becoming dangerous shifting gears because of the lack of acceleration and stalling. The entire transmission needs to be replaced as do the yahoo's at the dealership and the yahoo's at Jeep who decided to put this in.

- , Chicago, IL, US

Apr 142017

Cherokee Sport

The car would jump every time it was put into gear. After bringing it in 4 times for transmission related issues the dealership finally had a tech drive the car and he was able to duplicate the concern so they replaced the valve body. The car no longer jumps when put into gear but the shifting is as rough as ever. This car is a lemon and I am so frustrated that they cannot fix the issues that I am ready to trade it in and take the financial hit.

- , Fort Myers, US

Apr 022016

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

Car has bad pickup. It shifts roughly. It is a brand-new car, with less than 10,000 miles on it when the problem occored. It never went away and only got worse.

- , Marlboro Township, US

Feb 212014

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

Had my Jeep Cherokee 2014 serviced 2 times for hard shifting of the transmission and lurching, jumping and sudden shut off. They said it was software but I still have the same problems.

- , Lockport, IL, US

May 052014

Cherokee Limited V6

• CVT transmission

Have had problems with the transmission from the day we bought our vehicle. Love the vehicle itself and would keep it if it weren't for the transmission problem. Will be returning when lease it up.

- , West Fargo, ND, US

Dec 012015

Cherokee Latitude 4 cyl

PERTINENT INFORMATION:

CHRYSLER JEEP LLC CASE MANAGER FOR CASE #29804550: LYRISSA ID#: LS1521, HAS NOT CONTACTED/NOTIFIED ME OF ANYTHING ABOUT MY TRANSMISSION ISSUE INCLUDING THE CLOSING OF MY ACCOUNT.

SERVICE MANAGER FOR CORWIN DODGE: DARRIN LINDEMAN, NEVER NOTIFIED ME THAT THE JEEP WAS "OPERATING AS DESIGNED" (SO SICK OF HEARING THIS)VIA PAPERWORK, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FILE DISPUTE WITH CORWIN DODGE. JEEP TRANSMISSION IS NOT OPERATING PROPERLY!

DISTRICT MANAGER OF CHRYSLER LLC: TONY AGULIO, NEVER NOTIFIED ME THAT THE JEEP WAS "OPERATING AS DESIGNED" (SO SICK OF HEARING THIS)VIA PAPERWORK, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FILE DISPUTE. JEEP TRANSMISSION IS NOT OPERATING PROPERLY!

CHRYSLER LLC, FIELD ENGINEER/FIELD MANAGER/STAR ADVISOR: TYLER YOMAN, NEVER NOTIFIED ME THAT THE JEEP WAS "OPERATING AS DESIGNED"(SO SICK OF HEARING THIS) VIA PAPERWORK, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FILE DISPUTE. JEEP TRANSMISSION IS NOT OPERATING PROPERLY!

I WILL BE DROPPING OFF 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE ON Friday, August 12, 2016 @ 4:30 PM AT CORWIN DODGE, SPRINGFIELD MO. 65807, FOR TRANSMISSION ISSUES. DEALER CODE: 74-45581 Dealer Name : CORWIN DODGE OF SPRINGFIELD Dealer Phone : 417-862-9272

THE ISSUE WAS IN FACT DUPLICATED BY SERVICE ADVISOR DAVID O'NEIL SEVERAL TIMES WHEN I FIRST HAD THE ISSUE. HIS WAY TO FIX IT WAS THE UPDATES. THESE UPDATES DID NOT WORK AND ONLY MADE IT WORSE. HE WILL BE ABLE TO CONFIRM AS WELL AS THE FIRST THREE TO FOUR SERVICE RECORDS. ALSO, I HAVE NOT INITIATED THE LEMON LAW PROCESS YET, I AM NEEDING TO KNOW MY OPTIONS.

PLEASE, LET IT BE KNOWN THAT ON 7-26-2016 @4:30PM, YOUNGBLOOD JEEP, SERVICE MANAGER, MR. PHILLIPS; CHRYSLER LLC, DISTRICT SERVICE SERVICE AND PARTS MANAGER, TONY AGUILLO; AND DISTRICT FIELD ENGINEER, TYLER YOEMANS, HAVE DENIED ME TO GET MY 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE SERVICED AT YOUNGBLOOD JEEP. THEY ALSO STATED VERBALLY THAT LEMON LAW IS NOT AN OPTION BECAUSE ITS PAST 24,000 MILES AND/OR THE TWO YEAR PURCHASE DATE OF THE NEW VEHICLE. FIRST, IT WAS PURCHASED NEW (10 MILES) FROM YOUNGBLOOD JEEP. SECOND, INITIATED SERVICE RECORDS SINCE THE VEHICLE HAD APPROX. 6,000 MILES ON IT. THIRD, PURCHASE DATE WAS 10/4/2014. TWO YEARS FROM THAT IS 10/4/2016.

IN SAYING THAT, I WENT TO YOUR MANAGER MR. PHILLIPS AND HE NOTIFIED ME THAT HE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO WORK ON THE 2014 JEEP UNLESS I WAS ABLE TO PAY THE DIAGNOSTIC FEE OF $125. I AM CONFUSED SIR, I HAVE THE 100,000 POWER TRAN WARRANTY AND THE EXTENDED ROUTE 66 WARRANTY THROUGH BLU CURRENT. BEFORE I UTILIZE THE ROUTE 66 EXTENDED WARRANTY I WOULD LIKE TO UTILIZE MY 100,000 POWERTRAN WARRANTY. I WAS TURNED AWAY WHEN DROPPING ME VEHICLE TO GET IT SERVICED. THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE THAT I PURCHASED IN 10/2014 IS EXTREMELY UNSAFE.

I WAS ADVISED THAT I SHOULD BRING THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE TO A "TRANSMISSION SPECIALIST" NOT BUSINESS RELATED TO YOUNGBLOOD AND/OR CHRYSLER. WHY WOULD I DO THIS IF YOU ARE THE PROFESSIONALS OF JEEP SERVICE? I AM ONCE AGAIN DUMBFOUNDED AT HOW/WHY THIS IS HAPPENING. I WAS ALSO ADVISED BY MY. PHILLIPS THAT THE OPERATING DESIGN OF THE TRANSMISSION IS TO COMPLETELY STOP THEN ACCELERATE AFTER BEING COMPLETELY STOPPED. TWO THINGS... ONE, IF YOU COME TO A STOP LIGHT AND THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN, I SHOULD STOP BEFORE I ACCELERATE? TWO, WHEN I AM TURNING LEFT AND CROSSING ONCOMING TRAFFIC, I SHOULD STOP EVEN IF I HAVE SIGNIFICANT ROOM TO TURN LEFT?? FINALLY, THIS EXACT SAME VEHICLE THAT I PURCHASED IN 10/2014 HAS NEVER STUTTERED/HESITATED/PAUSED WHEN ACCELERATING AND/OR CROSSING TRAFFIC AND/OR AT A STOP LIGHT. WHEN THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE REACHED APPROXIMATELY 6,000 MILES IS WHEN THE PROBLEMS BEGAN. THEN THE UPDATES STARTED, AND THE TRANSMISSION BECAME WORSE AND WORSE.

WILL YOU PLEASE OFFER SUGGESTIONS IF ANY TO GET THIS RESOLVED? PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCEPT A TRADE IN FOR $12,000 LIKE MR. PHILLIPS SUGGESTED IN THE PAST. THAT WOULD PUT ME UPSIDE DOWN $9,000.

I have never heard of this in an effort to process Lemon Law. If we are unable to duplicate the concerns through driving the vehicle with you as we have done in the past and have not been able to duplicate we will not know what to repair. In previous documents through various sources you have stated that Corwin was able to duplicate the issue and that they were repairing your car. We on the other hand have not been able to duplicate. If you drop the car off here I will not put you into a Youngblood rental due to the issues we have had with renting you a car in the past. Before you drop the vehicle off I recommend you have someone at Chrysler reach out to us and advise us on what they want us to do. Otherwise I do not think we will be able to help.

Sincerely, John Widiger General Manager John Youngblood Motors

5-5-2016 SERVICE LOG FOR SAME TRANSMISSION ISSUE OVER 10 TIMES, OUT OF SERVICE SEVERAL DAYS

6-13-2016 THE ISSUE WAS DUPLICATED BY SERVICE MANAGER JD WEATHERFIELD

7-7-2016, THIS IS THE 3RD ARBITRATION THAT HAS BEEN DENIED.

7-7-2016, REJECTION LETTER FROM ME TO ARBITRATORS ON THE 3RD DECISION LETTER.

WHAT IS A "UNREASONABLE NUMBER OF REPAIR ATTEMPTS OR A UNREASONABLE NUMBER OF DAYS OUT OF SERVICE FOR THE SAME NONCONFORMITY"? 10 TIMES IN 17 MONTHS IS NOT ENOUGH? WHAT IS AN UNREASONABLE AMOUNT?

I WENT TO CORWIN DODGE ON 6-9-16. JD, THE SERVICE DID ADVISE ME THAT HE DUPLICATED THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSMISSION. JD STATED HE WENT TO TURN LEFT THEN ACCELERATED AND IT STUTTERED/HESITATED TO MOVE WHEN THE GAS PEDAL WAS PUSHED. THIS IS A MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE. THEN OTHERS FROM CHRYSLER WERE UNABLE TO DUPLICATE YESTERDAY. I AM SORRY THEY COULD NOT GET THE TRANSMISSION TO HESITATE AGAIN, BUT THE FACT CLEARLY REMAINS THAT JD, THE CORWIN DODGE SERVICE MANAGER HAD DUPLICATED THIS SAME ISSUE/PROBLEM WITH THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE LATITUDE. THE SAME WAY THAT THE TRANSMISSION WAS DUPLICATED PRIOR TO THE NEW TRANSMISSION. PRIOR TO THAT SERVICE MANAGER, DAVID O'NEIL, FROM YOUNGBLOOD DIAGNOSED AND DUPLICATED THE HESITATION/STUTTERING. FACT, THIS IS THE 3RD TIME (AT LEAST) THAT A SERVICE MANAGER HAS DIAGNOSED/DUPLICATED THE PROBLEM! NOTE: I HAVE NOT HAD A SAFE VEHICLE TO DRIVE IN 6 MONTHS AND AM STILL PAYING $370 MO FOR A BROKE JEEP??? WHAT GIVES?

- , Nixa, MO, USA

Aug 312016

Cherokee

First time we drove our brand new car off the lot there were transmission problems and we had to take it back to the dealer. This is the second time. Driving to work with kids in the car in the rain. Was fine last night. Now check transmission and emergency brake lights are on.

Update from Aug 31, 2016: Constant transmission problems.

- , Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mar 202017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

car hesitates to move specially if you are doing a rolling stop

- , Davis, US