ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2014 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: not shifting properly

Not Shifting Properly

2014 Jeep Cherokee (Page 1 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

8.1

2. no solution (22 reports)
  3. flash update (10 reports)
  4. replace transmission (10 reports)
  5. replace valve body (3 reports)
  6. recall transaxle calibration (1 reports)
2014 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 102018

Cherokee Lattitude 4 cyl

In the summer of 2017, Wilson Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler in Winnsboro, SC replaced the transmission under the Powertrain warranty because of the transmission slipping and rough starting. However, one year later with the new transmission, it is slipping between the 5th and 8th gears. This is ridiculous. I remember that I purchased a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and the transmission went out on it and also had to be replaced under warranty. It appears to me that Jeep products are sub par and WAY overpriced for the low quality of the vehicles.

- Kim B., Myrtle Beach, SC, US

Feb 192018

Cherokee Trailhawk

I had noticed it had been getting lousy gas mileage on the highway for 8 months and questioned my g/f why. She had no explanation, other than it was "finally getting up and going". I thought she had mistakenly activated Sport mode, but that should clear each time the ignition is turned off. We used to get 27 to 29 MPG when it was new on the highway. This occurred just after it hit 55,000 miles.

Upon receipt of the vehicle, I did notice very aggressive shift points, and it would NEVER enter 7th or above gears even at highway speeds of 80 MPH. Uphill or downhill, and we have some big hills here. It was averaging less than 20 MPG, but phenomenally great at acceleration, but diving down to 3 or 5 MPG during any acceleration, and RPM well over 3,000.

I have actively been working to get a more economical mode going with it (I had heard that the computer would "learn" how the driver operated the vehicle, and respond). Using the most gas conservative skills I could utilize, I have experienced 24 to 25 MPG, but any need for acceleration finds it reverting to the old shift points and lousy MPG for at least the next 20 miles. After 3,000 miles of working on this, I am feeling that something is not correct.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome. This is a very good vehicle, though I suspect the transmission/CPU to be the culprits here.

=)

Bill

My question to all is has anyone else experienced this situation? Do I need to have the computer re-flashed to return back to the way it was when new?

- William T., Rock Springs, WY, US

Nov 112017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L

I had to have a whole new transmission installed at 48000 miles. It at first started downshifting really hard, then would cause me to come to a screeching halt. My Jeep was in the shop for 2 weeks and I missed 2 days of work because of it.

- Brett K., troy, US

Nov 302017

Cherokee Trailhawk 2.4L 4 cyl

The fact that ChryslerFiat could release such a garbage transmission for public consumption and use is criminal. Additionally, to not offer any form of real resolve is an additional slap to the face with this issue. The fact they continue to produce vehicles with this transmission is proof as to how little they care about the faulty machinery they are allowing the public to obtain and use. Every vehicle with this transmission should be recalled and replaced. To further elevate this, the fact that there isn't an oversight committee that hasn't flagged this is even more disturbing.

My vehicle drives worse than a 16 year old learning to drive stick shift. Not only does it shift hard but it will also grind the lower gears when accelerating SLOWLY.. not aggressively, but slowly. Shifts are mistimed, hard and downright horrible with only 2% of driving time seeing proper shifts.

ChryslerFiat or more specifically Jeep will watch the Cherokee, Renegade and Compass die because of this transmission. All great vehicles except for the fact that they simply can NOT shift in a safe and efficient manner. I guess this is the new "American Made".. insert eye roll here..

- Anthony H., Beachwood, NJ, US

Apr 012015

Cherokee Trail 4

The 9 speed transmission in this jeep has never worked properly, The beast never knows what gear it wants to be in, slipping and sliding and skipping gears, once jumping from 1st gear into reverse which was a real exciting thing to experience, guest headed to windshield while the seatbelts engaged to catch us all, there was a loud explosion which made us almost pee out pants, finally got it off the road, thought someone had hit us from behind and got back in the car and drove off like nothing had happened, went straight to the dealer 3 miles away, they drove it said it was fine, and not codes so I must have lost my mind.

Taking off the a stop is interesting experience, you may a have lag of 30 seconds before you actually start to move, sometimes the people behind will blow there horn to wake the jeep up, then you may lurch forward or you may barely crawl slipping as you go, sometimes it will miss second gear or just hang out in second gear for a period of time and then lurch into 3rd. It is always a surprise and when you have guest with you, you need to explain you are not a bad driver and you mean no harm by all the lurching and bucking, reminds me of when I first learned to drive a stick shift, but I was smoother then this tranny is in shifting.

Also a big challenge is beach parking, backing out onto a busy highway is like playing Russian roulette with all the cylinders loaded. You back out quickly drop it into drive and walla!!! you sit there nothing no move and nothing, give it more gas and bamm it hammers into first and makes your teeth knock.

Been to the shop over a dozen times usually take the damn thing in for a monthly flashing and have it flashed each time I go for an oil change. No codes ever appear and the dealer thinks I am nuts!!!

Just recently had it in and this new dealer tells my husband the problem is I drive differently then he does so the transmission is confused. Ha HaSso we have a good argument about which of us is the most aggressive driver. My decision is the dealer is confused!

Now for the last little episode. Stopped a a light tranny was doing good that day, fingers crossed, light turns green, touch the gas a load explosion and lurch and then nothing. Give it gas nothing! Put car in reverse, nothing, drive nothing, put car in park go to get out car starts rolling down the road Sh*t!!!! jump in hit the brakes get the damn thing stopped apply the emergency brake call the tow truck haul the damn thing away!

Power train module blown new one installed in 2 weeks, recall shows up today for a PCM flash that if you are using the cruise and it fails you may speed up, what the hell else can happen to this p of s tranny.

Wish me luck, car will be done in a week, we shall see.

Update from Jul 24, 2018: Great news I am happy to say the PCM must have been faulty from the day I purchased this car. They replaced the PCM that blew up and my Jeep runs like it never has before!! There are no jerky stops and starts, there is no lag at the stop when accelerating. The gas mileage has improved by 2MPG, The Jeep actually downshifts when going down the hills and holds it's speed, not like the runaway train that it was before. You actually can feel the smooth shifting in all the gears, and no longer 1st gear to 5th or 6th gear. What a difference! I had my doubts on this fix, and actually had a new car picked out to trade this one in on as soon as it got out of the shop, but I will keep it as long as it continues to run this way, too bad it took over 3 years to have a brand new car start to run like a brand new car. Folks insist they replace the PCM, not just keep flashing it if you have these problems, I had mine flashed so many times I lost count. Good Luck!!!!!

- Diana B., Blairsville, Georgia

Jan 012015

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

I picked up my Cherokee in November of 2014. Within the first month of driving it I started noticing that the transmission would hesitate when coming out of a complete stop. I would hit the gas to go and the car just would not move, and then it would catch and the tires would screech and the entire car would jerk forward. This has been a constant problem. It has been recalled twice for supposed software corrections, but none have made a difference.

The problem is so severe that it almost caused an accident when my car froze for several seconds when I was trying to pull into a busy intersection, causing me to miss my window, only to then jerk forward right into the path of an oncoming semi. I have complained multiple times to jeep dealerships and have been told everything from "we could not replicate the problem" (which is BS because they took it on the highway. Not surprising you couldn't replicate a problem starting from a dead stop when you drove it on the highways for 90 percent of your test run) to "That is how the transmission is supposed to work". Which is equally laughable.

- cbrockman, Aurora, US

Mar 122018

Cherokee V6

Car does not shift smoothly and lunges and jerks. It even would not move from start from a stop and the "D" started blinking (this happened twice). First time at the dealer they said they did a PTM and TCM update. I checked the VIN on Mopar website for the S55 recall and it said all fixes have been implemented. This was before the first trip. Acted the same and now were at Second time back to the dealer.

I spoke with the service manager who said they don't know what it is and that he was waiting from STAR. The service advisory who is dealing with my girlfriend says the service manager couldn't find what was wrong and was going to drive it home to see if he could reproduce the issue. This is after he told me he was waiting on STAR.

Sounds like there giving us the run around. Bought used but with power train warranty. Any thoughts?

- Matthew R., Iron Station, NC, US

Nov 112014

Cherokee Sport 3.2L

dealer was unable to correct problem as they were getting no support from Chrysler Fiat. This is the first and last jeep i will ever buy and will not recommend a jeep purchase to anyone. My 2014 is a piece of crap.

- Michael S B., Edmonton, Canada

Jan 182018

Cherokee Lartitude 3.2L V6

Vehicle jerking, lunging and failing to shift at low speeds. Transmission delay in shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Jeep service road test and "quick learn" performed on vehicle. Returned to service without repair as test drive could not replicate problem.

- John G., Ocala, FL, US

Aug 012016

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

I first noticed this problem around 10,000 miles but didn't mention it until I had service. I have been mentioning it since and have been told it was fixed through a software update. Now I am being told there will eventually be a recall, but every time I ask, they say it is not ready yet or think there is not going to be a recall.

- kkbrofft, Monument, US

Sep 282017

Cherokee Sport 2.4L I4 9 Speed

I was driving at approximately 25 MPH when the transmission warning lights, ABS and traction control lights all came on and warning signs signaled. The car automatically shifted to a lower gear and was hard to drive. I pulled over. The dash read "CHECK TRANSMISSION" and "PUT VEHICLE IN PARK AND THEN SELECT GEAR". I turned vehicle off and restarted a couple of times. After a few minutes, only the engine light came on. Vehicle remained in a low gear, was drive-able. I drove home and made an immediate appointment with Jeep. Jeep provided a software update, flashed the TCM (update #21). Apparently this transmission engine problem has been occurring since this vehicle hit the pavement and Jeep does not know how to fix, hence having 21 different updates. I am concerned that all Jeep did was to put a band-aid on a large wound. I am afraid to drive my vehicle and if this happens on the highway, I know that I am risking being in an accident.

Update from Oct 1, 2017: The day after I got my car back from Hall CDJR Service Department, I got in the car and started it up to see that all the warning lights were on again (engine, check transmission, stability and ABS). I put the gear in Reverse and the car would not drive. I had shut the car off and started it again. This time, only the engine light came on but when trying to change gears, there was a repeated clicking noise. The vehicle jerked when I placed it in reverse. Needless to say, I had contacted Hall CDJR Service Department and got authorization to have the vehicle towed to the service department. I had to fight to get a loaner car since they will be keeping the vehicle over the weekend. From reading all of the horror stories about this transmission, I have made an appointment with a lawyer. This is a defective product and I do not feel safe keeping this car. There is no fix for this transmission.

- gailc2704gs, Suffolk, US

Dec 222017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

I live on a tight budget. Very tight. As a result, there is no room for error. The purchase of this Jeep was an error. I traded in my 2011 Ford Ranger with 168,000 miles on it. It needed to go. I commute 100 miles a day for work and I need a reliable vehicle. I wanted a Jeep and the Cherokee is the only one I could barely afford to get into. I purchased it from Auto Lenders in Lakewood, NJ. All of the vehicles they sell are Certified Pre-owned.

This Jeep, according to CarFax, had no previous problems and was previously leased and turned in with just over 35K miles. I am the second owner. I purchased this Jeep in August 2017. My wife has driven it a couple of times a couple of weeks ago and she said she noticed some clanking and noises coming from the transmission when she put it in gear. I've noticed a few things here and there but nothing severe. Then on December 22, I went to get gas, after I filled up I pulled out of the station and wham! There was nothing. No power as I tried to accelerate into traffic. Then it bucked and clanged and banged... every light on the dash lit up and the "Service Transmission" warning kept flashing. The "D" light was flashing on the dash as well. I limped home after several traffic light close calls.

- Theodore J., Brick, NJ, US

Dec 192017

Cherokee Lattitude V6

My check transmission light came on. The car is not shifting properly and parking brake is not engaging. I am very worried at what is to come.

- Ryan G., Portland, OR, US

Aug 232017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L

Continuing Transmission problems...Starts in 3rd gear, very slow to downshift.. never uses 2nd gear. Step on the gas to get going and then slams it into 1st gear. Dealer Installed another new flash update. Think they will stall until out of warranty !!

- Gary H., Helena, MT, USA

Aug 312017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

This is a repeat problem with many transmission problems. In this case, many error and warnings were triggered and the vehicle would not move forward or reverse. The dealer says that FCM requires them to clear all error codes and then try to repeat the problem. Since it did not repeat, the dealer says they can do nothing until the problem recurs. Further, they say the only way to be certain the error code will be read and accepted by FCM is if the vehicle is kept running until it arrives at the dealer and the dealer reads the active error codes. Crazy and not practical!

- Teresa L., Houston, US

Dec 122014

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

Vehicle jumps abruptly when pulling out at a stop sign or red light, Going up a hill it doesn't shift properly. Very erratic. Received a ticket from local police who thought we were trying to peel out due to the transmission. Complain to dealer numerous times and took in for repair to have them just say it needs to be reprogrammed!! Very dissapointed in the vehicles performance and tire wear is progressed by the bad transmission. Anyone who rides in the vehicle askes what is wrong with it and says I should complain to the dealer. The 9 speed transmission definitely had problems this year and Jeep does not want to admit it and replace the transmission!!

- Jackie C., Jefferson Hills, US

Feb 012017

Cherokee Sport

When I step on the gas, it feels like it barely moves. Sometimes it sounds like I'm driving a racing car, except I'm going really slow. The RPM goes all the way up to 5 and it still moves slow. I feel like it's also using a lot of gas, and it's just getting worse. Sometimes it pulls itself forward, which on several occasions I almost got in a car accident.

- luriostegui, Itasca, US

Jun 192015

Cherokee Latitude 4X4 9 Speed

I bought this Jeep Latitude 2014 in October 2014. The transmission problem started immediately. We kept reading the owners manual to see if there was something we were doing wrong. Sometimes it drives fine but when it starts it's scary. I have had this Jeep back to the dealership multiple times. And every time they look at me like I'm stupid. Then I start getting the recalls I thought, thank god there's hope. Not even close!!! The last time I took it back to the dealership was June 2017. I was told that they updated the computer module and that it was fixed. NOT!!! It was a touch better but after taking a short trip upstate it became soooooo much worse. I spent a lot of money on this Jeep and for the extended warranty!!! Something needs to be done!!! My family doesn't feel safe in this vehicle!!! You can get serious whiplash from this transmission!!!!!

- Deanna K., Lake Hopatcong, US

Jun 262017

Cherokee Lattitude 3.2L

I had this issue four times now and Jeep was not able to fix. Its still under warranty and dealer refused to give a rental or loner car when they have this issue. And they say they don't have appointments for a week. I am using Uber every day to commute to work, we only have one car for the family, its been very difficult. Called Jeep customer service like 5 times for rental car and they say they should get manger approval for this and they are delaying this from past three days.

Its the worst car and I will never buy anything from Chrysler.

- Satish C., Scottsdale, AZ, US

Feb 282014

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Transmission is a POS needs to be replaced with new one !

- Guy M., Hopatcong, NJ, US