CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2019 Cherokee is racking up engine complaints for suddenly shutting down while driving. But the problem could possibly be related to the increasingly defective 9-speed transmission which suffers from hard shifts, lurching problems, and a wiring harness defect that can cause sudden shutdowns or an unexpected shift into neutral.

8.5

$80

2. oil change (1 reports)
2019 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Jeep Cherokee:

2019 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 222018

Cherokee Plus 2.4L

I just had bought this new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus earlier in July. The car only had about 3800 miles on it when with no warning stalled in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in Independence Ohio. I had a hard time restarting the car as oncoming traffic was coming at me. Once it finally restarted I called the dealership and they mentioned it was probably low on oil and needed to come in for a oil change, and that is is very common with this Jeep. I was told by the dealership that this car burns oil fast. They started a oil consumption test for the next 6 mornths and said it was within the limits of jeep standards. I also placed a phone call into Jeep complaint line where they also told me that the manual states to check the oil every time you put gas in it. I have had this jeep stall on me 3 times in the past 18 months due to low oil. No warnings no lights nothing. Someone is going to get hurt, i cant even imagine if this jeep would stall on the highway. I have been trying to get out of this purchase of this jeep for the past 12 months with no success. If someone starts a lawsuit please contact me as I have all my documentations regrading this oil issue with this jeep.

- Heidi C., Stow, US

Nov 162021

Cherokee Latitude Plus 3.2L V6

Just bought the car back in 8/18/2021 the car was driving fine ,till 11/16/21 driving down the road engine just turn off by itself right on the road for no reason I tried to restart engine, 1 second than turn off by itself have to call tow truck to take back to Jeep dealer service garage .

When I picked it up after the service they said it was loose cable so when they went to get it happen again right there. I have leave it there for another week this time they said the cable battery connector is dirty so they have to clean it . 2 weeks later it happen again while driving at 25MPH the engine just shut off , lucky this time when I try to restart the engine turn back on I quickly drove back home as soon as I get to my driveway the engine stall in middle of my driveway and wouldn't start again have to call tow truck again take it back to dealer service garage . Now they said something wrong with electrical system box and Chrysler will replace the part for free so as of right now 12/16/2021 my car still at dealer garage

don't know when i am going to get my car back they are back order . Not happy.

- lvt, Waukesha, US

Apr 012021

Cherokee UT 2.4L

On 3 separate occasions my car has completely shut down (stalled) while driving on a highway. This is extremely dangerous and an unacceptable problem with my vehicle (engine). Jeep should be ashamed of themselves for putting people's lives in danger. The next time we may not be so fortunate to not be involved in a car accident due to this defect.

- Laura B., Fort Mill, US

Feb 172021

Cherokee LL 2.4L

Someone is going to get hurt. We bought this car for my 17-year-old son, and the engine keeps shutting off while he is driving down the road. Putting oil in it seems to help temporarily, but then it happens again. I need to know whom to go to for this. Can someone please let me know? We have gone to our auto mechanic, but it's a defect with the Jeep 2019 model. Is there a recall?

Dec 142020

Cherokee LL 2.4L

The engine keeps shutting off while my 17-year-old son is driving down the road. This is extremely dangerous. I see other complaints about this same problem. Who can resolve this situation? Someone is going to get hurt.

Nov 092020

Cherokee LL 2.4L

The engine completely shuts off while driving down the road. Our 17 year old son drives this car. He takes my 14 year old daughter to school in it every day. There is going to be an accident if this problem isn't fixed. We have taken it to a mechanic, but they don't have a solution. I don't know whom to go to for it. If we fill it with oil, then it doesn't happen, but then the oil leaks out within a month. This is very dangerous.

Oct 012020

Cherokee LL 2.4L

We bought this car for our son, who is 17 years old. The engine just stops while he is driving. Very dangerous. When we fill it with oil, then it doesn't happen, but the oil runs out in less than a month.

Jan 282021

Cherokee 2L

I HAVE A 2019 JEEP CHEROKEE, I bought it 6 months ago and only just put 5000 miles on it, and my engine shut down while driving. NO warning, no lights. I called the Dealer, they had me come right over, and stated it needed oil change, it shut down to protect the engine.

THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUES!!! IF DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD AND IT SHUTS OFF, I COULD BE REAR-ENDED, AND COULD CAUSE DEATH... THESE ENGINES NEED TO BE REPLACED!!!

- Melody B., Sayre, US

Jan 272021

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

The past 3 weeks I have had an issue causing me to take my car into dealership. In week one, my car wouldn’t start, so under factory warranty the dealership replaced battery. Week 2 check engine light came on - the dealership stated there was a recall for a software update.

Week 3 which is today, I'm driving my kids to school who were in the backseat and I am 6 1/2 months pregnant when all lights flashed on dashboard, the steering locked up and I lost all power. The car completely shut off and the car battery light stayed on. Dash of car said to push start to turn car on and I did - the car started back up. I pulled over off of the main road and called dealership and they stated nothing they could really do if no recall. So had this been closer to 8am lunch time or the afternoon I would have literally got smashed from behind - super dangerous. I guess it is going to take someone getting seriously injured before they will do something.

- Brianna G., Corsicana, US

Apr 222020

Cherokee

My 2019 Jeep has turned off twice in the last 10 days while driving. The first time while MY CHILD was driving the car. The second time while I was driving at 45 miles an hour. Thank goodness no one was in an accident, injured, or killed.

There is no warning, no engine light--the car just turns off completely. The dealer has advised that despite the book stating to change the oil when the light comes on that the car actually needs the oil changed every 4,000 miles. Also have had issues where the engine has had to be replaced, but I have to be inconvenienced and jump through hoops for a pressure test before that can occur. Wasting my time and my money on gas.

Spoke with corporate--they are no help either. I encourage everyone that has had the issue to go online and file a complaint with the department of transportation.

- kimmymp, Rome, US

Aug 022019

Cherokee

2019 Jeep Cherokee with 3000 miles, multiple times engine has completely shutdown. Worst part is two times this happened in traffic, near miss accidents. This mostly happens in morning hours when i apply brake at traffic signals or when i take left/right turn, battery alert pops out on screen and engine shutdown, then I need to press alert/emergency button which flashes all indicators and # alert the world that my Jeep has screwed up again. People, please don't hit my ass. This can lead to major accidents, driver might not get enough of time to press alert button when this happens in busy roads. Prioritizing public safety, manufacturer needs to take necessary action on these type of life threatening issues. Finally I dropped my vehicle at Jeep service center, lets see how they gonna fix it ...

- Syed W., Redmond, WA, US

Dec 182018

Cherokee Latitude Plus 2.0L 14 Dohc Di Turbo Eng

I bought a brand new 2019 Jeep Cherokee. I was really excited about getting this vehicle but it has so many issues. Actually had it in twice for the car shutting down while driving. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. I had no steering and no brakes. I nearly went through the stop light in to traffic. The shop never really found the cause. Everytime I take it in for service they say, "We did a software update." Battery light kept showing low charge and they charged the battery and was going to give it back. I insisted that a brand new vehicle shouldn't be losing power in the battery and demanded a new battery. The repair bill states followed LIN Circuits and found active GR ILL Shutter Actuator taking Down Lin Circuit ordered AGS. It took three days for the part to come in. The battery has been charging since. This vehicle runs rough, lurches forward when you take your foot off the brake, has engine knock on acceleration. I feel like the thing is going to fall apart at any minute.

- Jennifer O., Alpena, US

Jun 282019

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

I was driving up a hill in our brand new Jeep. The hill was not significant, just a hill. We had recently passed a railroad crossing so I wasn't going very fast. All of a sudden the dash lights flashed, the battery light came on and the car died. I had to literally put the car in park and start the car again with a fresh start. Unbelievably dangerous! It only lasted a few seconds, but what if I had been turning across traffic, or there had been a big truck behind me. It's just a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured. At what point will you begin to look into this; how many lives need to be affected?

- hisjeep, Enterprise, US

Aug 092019

Cherokee Latitude V6

I have a 2019 jeep cherokee latitude. While driving in the last month the I have lost power and steering 3 times.Jeep now has 4300 miles on the vehicle. While driving the battery and stop/start technology light come on ,on the dash.The dash also reads that my stop start technology is off.I always push button in when I start to drive to turn start /stop technology off.I don't lose complete power but lose steering.Very dangerous situation.I also get a reading that the oil is low when I start the vehicle.This is not true since I have checked the oil on numerous occasions.Brought it to the dealer under warranty once and they performed a flash on the computer,maybe an update.I never received a notice about an update or recall.My wife has received two recalls so far on her 4 cylinder jeep,but not for these issues.I will bring it back again to have it checked.The research I have done so far says to start by replacing battery,then maybe alternator.I have checked my battery on the dash and sometimes it appears to be jumping all over the place from 13.2-14.0.I have been able to restore power when losing steering by stopping and shutting vehicle on and off through ignition.I have also read that this problem could be caused by the 9 speed automatic transmission.I have also noticed that when I start going faster is when this problem seems to occur.My guess is a hard shift by transmission.Losing that power steering is no joke.Three times to many.

- Robert R., colchester, VT, US

Jul 182019

Cherokee Overland 4x4 3.2L V6

I have only had this Jeep for not even a month. I bought it brand new. The auto/start/stop feature said it was malfunctioning. I took it to my local Dealer and was told it would be two weeks before they could get me in. Later that night while I was driving 70MPH, the engine cut off and died. When I voiced my concern and the fact that I will not drive this car, seeing how it almost killed me, I was given a service date of a week from now. NO ONE I spoke to from the dealer to Jeeps Corp. number gave a flip. If they don't have a recall or offer to buy this Jeep back due to a lemon law they are setting themselves up for a huge financial burden when one of these cars kill someone due to their gross negligence.

- Mike P., Huntsville, AL, US

Jun 282019

Cherokee Lattitude 2.4L

Slowed down before an intersection and when I accelerated the engine died, lost power steering in the middle of the intersection. I've had the car for one month. Not happy about this, since this is a dangerous fault of the engine.

- drm01, Greenwood, US

May 092019

Cherokee 2.4L

First incident took place yesterday when slowing down to stop. The car died and I lost power steering and everything went blank. I sat for 10 minutes due to not starting up. It sounded like a grinding noise when I went to turn it over. After starting it back I took it to the dealership. They stated it was a recall and it was fixed.

Well this morning I went to slow down at a stop sign when i went to accelerate the car died, I was stuck in 4 lanes of traffic. I finally got the car restarted and took it back to the dealership. They stated that they changed my oil and could tell that in looking into the issue that's what it is. They are going to keep the car over the weekend and let me know. However my friend has the same 2019 and her car has done the same thing after an oil change.

Something has to be done before someone gets killed.

- Brittany C., Ardmore, OK, US

Feb 022019

Cherokee Plus 2.4L

Purchased my Jeep in June 2018, excited to become a proud JEEP GIRL and owner. Since then I've been pretty disappointed.

First of all, what BRAND NEW vehicle as 3 recalls pretty much right off the back, even before their selling year. I found that to be a bit off and concerning but all issues were repaired free of charge and I managed. Then we moved on to the current issue. While driving to go out to dinner, I was driving a decent 35-40mph and out of no where the car stalls and turns off. Shocked and not sure what was going on, I did as the dash said and turned it off and restarted. Started back up and went on. . .Then it happened a second time, within minutes.

Once restarting again, we immediately turned around and took the car back to the house and I called the dealership to take it in. Once taking it in the next day, I was informed I was out of oil. Pretty shocked being that it is a brand new vehicle and hardly a handful of miles, why am I already out of oil. I had them do my oil change and I was off for another "quoted" 7500 miles.

Then about two weeks later, it happened again, while driving into work. This was just a one time and it restarted and didn't have any other issues. About a month later, simply driving around and the same thing happened again in the middle of traffic on my way to take my son to school. After dropping him off, I immediately went to the dealership and was told I was out of oil yet again. How was this possible that a vehicle could burn this much oil in such a short amount of time?

They stated that they wanted to monitor the oil and see how it was at 1500 miles and then again at another 1500 miles. I went about four/five weeks and that being today, I was leaving work and the vehicle turned off as I was leaving the parking lot of my job, about 100 ft more as I was going through the round-about and then yet again as I was driving on the highway. I immediately drove straight to the dealership where I was yet again informed I was completely out of oil.

They made mention to me that this is an issue with the 2.4L Jeep Cherokees and that they will monitor my oil levels at 1000 miles and then again from there and if I am still losing oil, I will more than likely need a new engine as it is a problem with that Jeep model but was informed that if I do get a new engine, I would be getting it replaced with the same kind of engine as Jeep has yet to "repair" the problem in the engines to correct this problem. And on top of that, I had to PAY for the oil they had to put in my vehicle as my "Free Oil Change" voucher was not good until June.

All in all, I think this is completely BS and thank God at each time I wasn't going at extreme speeds when this malfunction occurred. To put it plain and simple - - LEMON LEMON LEMON!!!! I will pursue further with this and by all means do what I can to get something out of this, in hopes of it being a new vehicle. This has definitely turned my nose to Jeep 100%!

- tequilatat2, California, US

Aug 312018

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L V4

Drove my new 2019 JEEP Cherokee to a campsite Labor Day weekend 2018. Close to our destination we left the major highway, where I had been driving 70+ mph, into town and now onto a side road. I was going slow, under 20 mph, and the engine shut off. My husband says "what are you doing?" I said "nothing, the car just shut down." We both just stared at each other, not sure if it was an EMT or what. Oddly it restarted, almost making it even more weird. I was very grateful I was on a side road and no longer going 70 mph.

Upon return I took the JEEP to the dealer and told them what had happen. They did not have an answer. November 2018 I received a recall from JEEP. Improper transmission calibration may result in a stall. Dealers will re-flash the transmission controller with a new calibration, free of charge. The recall began November 2, 2018. I took my JEEP in immediately. The dealership was unaware of the issue and did the update. Apparently it is not the only issue, because this happen two more times since. I'll submit in separate complaints.

- Julie I., Fox River Grove, US

Jan 232019

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

I had just made a turn onto a road from a main road and my car shut off. No warning or anything just shut off and battery light came on. I sat for a few minutes and tried to restart it had a hard restart. I went online and searched issue to find out everyone had the same issue. I brought my car to the dealer for an oil change. They said my oil was low, that this vehicle is known to burn oil due to a Fiat engine and this is why my car was shutting down. Why is there no warning my oil was low this is a brand new car

- Theresa W., Montgomery, US