2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems: TIPM faulty

TIPM Faulty

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn't seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It's worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Swedish Magazine's "moose test". The test measures a vehicle's ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn't want to hit while driving down the road ... like a moose.

7.9

$1,110

1. replace TIPM (20 reports)
  3. replace external fuel pump relay overlay (2 reports)
  4. rebuild TIPM (1 reports)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 242018

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.2L V6

Power locks and windshield washers failed suddenly and without any prior warning or history (i.e. no abnormal sounds or conditions prior to failure). Took into shop and was told it was TIPM failure, which cost $1200 to replace (received a second estimate from dealer which was almost identical). This is not by and stretch of the imagination a normal repair to make for a 2012 car that has been well maintained and moderately driven.

- G B., Denver, CO, US

Feb 012017

Grand Cherokee LTD 8 cyl

I rarely drive this vehicle so I have not wanted to make the investment to fix the TIPM, which I was told would be over $2k, since it's a very known problem and should have been handled under a recall. About 10 months ago my trunk stopped locked and my key batteries kept "dying." I replaced them several times and had the trunk latch replaced, spending hundreds of dollars on those things. Still, I was getting warnings that the keys were not identified or had left the vehicle, which wasn't true, and my latch wasn't working. Finally the service manager at the dealer admitted that this is a very well known problem with the TIPM, and I should expect many more issues if I don't get it fixed. Through the last few months I have had more and more issues, and now I cannot even get into my car, it doesn't recognize the keys at all, and when I try to open it manually, it won't turn on.

This is ridiculous. Jeep needs to fix this immediately. I will never buy another Dodge product.

- Heather K., San Diego, US

May 122016

Grand Cherokee Limited V8

Problem started approximately 2 weeks ago. The rear hatch on the vehicle would not unlock. Once I started the vehicle and drove it would eventually begin working again. It's beginning to happen more frequently and now the passenger and drivers door(s) are affected. I noticed in many Jeep forums that a strong possibility exists that the TIPM is bad. I've already had my vehicle in for the TIPM recall for the fuel pump. I didn't have any issues before the recall but now I'm noticing more "glitchy" electrical issues starting to pop up.

- William L., Perry, GA, USA

May 012017

Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 5.7L

The 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit is a beautiful SUV unfortunately the manufacturer could care less if you car shuts off while driving with no way to restart it until you come to a complete stop and put it in park. That's hard to do when you are the highway grinding your way to work and your power steering and power brakes go out. Putting you, your passengers, and other motorists safety at risk.

This car was the subject of a recall in September of 2016 for a faulty fuel relay switch however the underlying problem is in the TIPM a $1,000+ part (model # 68244870).

I returned the car to a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer ship in Tamarac FL and the service mgr. and service rep. stood in front of me and admittedly lied saying they had no knowledge of this model ever having an issue and they had no record of any coming back for the problem.

Surprisingly there was a class action lawsuit Jeep settled out of court for the matter. The settlement must have made the attorneys fat and happy while leaving the car owners with a ticking time bomb.

Word of advice before considering another vehicle use carcomplaints.com to see how the manufacturer handles consumer complaints. Apparently my manufacturer has put a considerable amount of unreliable products on the road verses some others who have identified inherent flaws and sent notices out offering replacement of original faulty parts at no cost to their customers.

- stonefish, Coral Springs, US

Dec 042016

Grand Cherokee

The issue started with the alarm system on our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We pulled into a parking lot and shut off the car. a couple of seconds later the horn went off and the lights began flashing. then the doors would lock and unlock repeatedly. After a minute or two of this behavior we were able to get it to stop. A few days later we noticed the back up lights were no longer working. And a couple of days after that we noticed the interior courtesy light on the drive side only began to intermittently stay on when existing the car but it would eventually turn off after several minutes.

We then went to the dealer. The diagnosis was that the car Key Fobs were defective and needed to be replaced (465.00 parts and labor). They looked at the courtesy light while programing the new keys. We were told the entire overhead cluster would require replacement, which we would have to reschedule to have done. After leaving the dealer ship we googled know issues with this make and model Jeep. What a shock. so when calling back the dealer ship to schedule the repair we noted that the suggestion of the courtesy cluster needing to be replaced did not appear to be an accurate diagnosis so we wanted to have them look at it more thoroughly. In the several days while waiting for the appointment date we got an engine code in the instrument cluster. took it to the auto parts store and was informed it was a code for a pressure leak in the gas cap. which we checked and it was not the issue.

Upon returning it to the dealer we added all the issues and told them to keep the vehicle and diagnose each issue. Today we discovered that the sensor that issued the pressure leak for the fuel cap was faulty and that they had tested the entire system and there in fact was no leak. They said they could find no issue with the overheard courtesy light malfunction and the back up lights were not being told by the TIPM that the car was in reverse so would not come on. They kept the car overnight to again attempt to recreate the courtesy light issue while we mull over the repair cost to replace one sensor and the TIPM unit. I obviously am taking a moment to file a complaint with NHTSA , CSA and here as well. The settlement that Chrysler made was due to attempting to avoid long drawn out litigation for know issues with faulty TIMP units. We are looking at over $1500.00 to replace that unit alone and not including the other issues. I know I am not a genius but instead of dragging this out and damaging the relationship of existing loyal customers why not simply replace the units period instead of patches that bypass the TIPM?

I am not happy with the situation at all and in fact if I do not receive any compensation for the cost to replace a part that is known to be faulty and has been directly linked to the problems I am having I can assure you that I will probably add myself to the list of folks who will not only get rid of this vehicle shortly but will never buy another Jeep or Chrysler product again. Step up a little more to the plate Chrysler and deal with your error of installing defective materials..

- Craig R., Mount Vernon, WA, US

Dec 292016

Grand Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

My power door locks stopped working. I made an appointment to have it repaired and the day I was going to drive my JGC to the dealer, all hell broke loose. Park assist stopped working, anti skid and 4 wheel drive also indicated errors. But worse, I could not move the shifting arm out of park. I had to have it dragged out of my garage by a local towing service.

The dealer said it was a faulty TIPM and had to be replaced. Once it is replaced, they can check on the power door lock issue. I've read the this is a pretty common problem for the 2012 JGC. In fact, it must be, because the dealer said that he probably wouldn't be able to get a replacement part for at least a month. I guess I was lucky that it occurred in my garage. I could have been stuck in the middle of nowhere with my family. Come on Chrysler, you have a defect, step up and take responsibility or you'll see the last of me as a consumer.

- Ted N., Seneca Falls, NY, USA

Dec 152016

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.2L V6

My car was manufactured 3 months after the current Grand Cherokee TIPM recall. This is a larger problem and needs covered with the existing recall.

- Joe H., Greenwood, IN, US

Feb 122016

Grand Cherokee Laredo V6

I bought my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo in August 2015. It acted funny at times, the navigation/music screen would get really weird. Then one day in February 2016, I'm driving and the whole electrical system starts going insane, dashboard goes on and off and everything is going crazy. I try to pull into the nearest driveway a few yards away, which was a gas station, and it totally dies. Totally f'n died as I'm driving and I'm blocking the whole entrance in and out of the gas station now. I can't put it into neutral or anything. Thank God I wasn't on a highway! I get it towed to dealer and they replace the TIPM for $1300. Money I don't have! Now fast forward a few months into September 2016. I'm driving and the whole jeep starts going crazy again! The dashboard is going absolutely insane, wipers going on and off. Then a few more yards as I'm about to turn into an intersection, totally dies again, mid turn! Totally dead and in the dark! Hazards wouldn't work, can't put it in neutral. AGAIN. Thank God I wasn't on a highway! Get it towed to dealer and they say its the battery. I argue that no it's not, did the same thing as before, its the TIPM. They disagree and replace the battery for $500. As I'm driving home, the f'n battery light comes on!! I turn around bring it back and say its the TIPM! They say its the alternator and it'll cost $1000. Then guess what??? It wasn't the damn alternator either! Did the same thing after I got it replaced and now they finally to agree with me that it was the TIPM! The second one was covered, thank God or I would have gone absolutely nuts and left the damn jeep there. I just lost my job, I really don't have the money to fix all this crap on a jeep that is only 4 years old! If I knew all the issues I was going to have with this piece of garbage, I would have kept my 2002 Durango. Now I'm stuck with this thing and God help Jeep if the TIPM dies again. I'll get it towed to their Headquarters and leave it there. So anyone thinking of getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee - DON'T!!!!!! I didn't read enough reviews. And there is a class action lawsuit that I think I missed out on because my repair happened after the judgement. I'm so pissed I put in thousands into this piece of sh*t.

- Sanja S., Smithtown, NY, USA

Mar 012016

Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L

Good day

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee (LIMITED) 3.6 ltr. 2012 model. After about 12,000 miles have experienced TIPM,,, Totally Intregrated Power Module, problems. Error mark “Anti Skid sys. And 4WD” was lite with no reason. After about 6 days of general computer testing at the Chrysler garage, they did not find the reason for the error. They told me that the TIPM whole fuse case should be replaced. The cost is about USD 1,950. Shall I claim Chrysler full coverage. In Israel the catalogue number is : C68244875.000.AA

Please help.

Sharoni (Mr.)

- ncsc, Ashdod, Israel

Jun 072016

Grand Cherokee Sport 3.2L V6

October 2015-

This car has given me nothing but nightmares.

The day after purchasing, the vehicle wouldn’t start. It was promptly towed to the North Arlington, Texas Don Davis Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership, where a recall in an alternator was fixed. I picked up my Jeep a week later, and thought my problems were solved, but boy, was I wrong.

Two days later, the original problem began again. My father, who is quite handy with cars, did a little research and discovered that a recall had also been issued on the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), which causes an issue with the relay system in the fuel pump. We quickly called Don Davis in North Arlington, where our previous service associate, David Vaughn told us to bring it back and it would be fixed with the correct recall part. I took my Jeep back a week later, and was told the issue was solved. I was so glad to have my Jeep back. I had definitely bought a car that was in the shop more than I had gotten to drive it.

Immediately after getting home, I discovered that the recall fix mandated by Jeep did not solve the problem that I and thousands of others have had. I took my car back, asked for it to please be repaired once again and after all. A week went by, I went to pick my car up, and I was told that a “mishap” occurred and a mechanic had hit my car with another car they were servicing. Mr. Vaughn stated that Jeep would provide a rental car for me and they would fix my car the next week. I took my car home, and thought my only issue was the dent they put in it. Again, I was mistaken. The original problem continued.

My car went back into the shop, and they spent a week diagnosing the original problem with the vehicle randomly not starting, or making a traumatizing cranking noise for about 20 seconds. The mechanics gave up and just put a different recall fix for the TIPM in the car, hoping it would work. Mr. Vaughn called and informed me that my car was good to go, running great, and was headed to the body shop for a bumper replacement, at their cost of course. After three weeks, I picked up my car.

Today, my original problem continues, and I’ve continually been told there is nothing they can do for me. This situation is not right. Don Davis Jeep treated me terribly. I was hung up on twice last week. This kind of customer service is unacceptable and I will not stop fighting this until my car is fixed or replaced. No customer, especially a loyal one, deserves to be treated the way I have.

June 2016-

Original problems remain, and TIPM totally failed yesterday as I was driving on a curved road. IT could have caused a wreck and I could have gotten killed. I am done with this car. Jeep, I am no longer a jeep customer nor will I ever set foot in your dealerships EVER again.

- Lauren W., Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 082016

Grand Cherokee Overland V8

I bought my 2012 jeep grand cherokee overland edition about 2 years ago. I started having TIPM problems right away , constantly shutting off while driving, let me just tell how thrilling that was! I'm mean I just love driving a newly purchased vehicle and having the damn thing just stall in the middle of an intersection, it's not unsafe at all! Apparently enough complaints were made that Chrysler finally decided to have a recall for the. TIPM ( I'm skipping all the parts in between that I spent time and money trying to fix the problem before the recall)

Blah blah blah... Recall done and my jeep is still jacked and no one gives a sh*t! One story I would just love to share , is yesterday I managed the courage to drive my jeep to the grocery store, while crossing a railroad track it decided to stall, luckily I had enough momentum roll the rest of the way , but almost got into a wreck!

I really wish Chrysler could do something to help me, I think soon I will get into a wreck and really injure myself or someone else! Has anyone fixed this problem ?

- Emilie H., Pensacola, FL, USA

Apr 012016

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L V8

Vehicle stalls while running or just won't start. Super scared. I cannot believe that these vehicles remain running on the streets but like everything else, no one will do nothing until someone get injury or dies in an accident. My Jeep has the fuel relay recall done and that DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. Not sure why Chrysler don't have the solution for this yet... my last Chrysler vehicle EVER!

- emmanuelv, safety harbor, FL, USA

Feb 042016

Grand Cherokee Sport Utility 3.6L

On vacation, loaded down with gifts for family back home, got to motel tried locking doors with remote. Would not work, tried with lock button armrest, nothing worked. Had to lock doors manually but could not lock rear hatch door as there is no way to lock it manually. Took it to hometown dealer in Seward, Nebraska. Was told that the TIPM was bad & that it would cost approximately $975.00. Was told they checked to see if there were any recalls & that there wasn't any. Picked Jeep up and brought it home. Also have a 2012 Dodge diesel p/u, but there won't be any more Chryslers in this household!!!!!!!

- meinberg, Seward, NE, USA

Jan 132016

Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi V8

I purchased my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited February 14th 2015, used from a Car Dealership. I received a notice in the mail a month or so later telling me about the recalls on my Jeep. The "TIPM" was one of them. I did have the Jeep just stop running twice right after I bought it, and I was pretty perplexed and pissed at the same time! So I was glad to get the recall notice and brought the Jeep in for repair. Well, it went quite awhile with no issues, until about a month ago. Now the Jeep has stopped running several times again now! Usually when decelerating up an off ramp, or turning down the on ramp. But has shut off just driving straight on a flat road too. Suppose I've got to bring it back in!!

- joefmn, Columbus, MN, USA

Oct 012015

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

on multiple occasions i was unable to get the jeep started and on multiple occasions the jeeps engine shutoff while at dangerous speeds

- Stephen M., Hornell, NY, USA

Sep 292015

Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.7L V8

The car started having issues with the door locking system. Dealer said it was a broken wire. Charged $110 for the diagnosis. Brought the car in for the repair and after half a day I got a phone call saying the wires are in good shape, but the problem now was the TIPM that needed to be changed all together. Part was not in stock and had to be ordered. Now I won't be able to drive my car for another day. Estimated cost to get the part and replace it (10 minute procedure) $1,350. Are you crazy? Dealer says I am not covered by warranty. Still he proceeds telling me it is a common issue that happens all the time. Are you kidding me??? If it happens all the time why is it not covered by a recall???

Come on!

- Carlo A., Norwalk, CT, USA

Dec 052015

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6L V6

I bought a 2012 grand cherokee used three weeks ago to the day when while driving the kids to the library Saturday, suddenly all the warning lights (check engine, abs, traction control, brake, service power steering system etc.) buzzers, speedometer and transmission position started acting erratically. I pulled over and turned the car off. After a few minutes I restarted it and made it to my driveway when it did it again. i got it into my garage, disconnected the battery cable and let it sit until this morning. when I re-connected the cable and started the car only the check engine light came on. So the wife followed me to the dealer where we dropped it off. luckily it made the 8 mile trip without any other issues. then a few hours later the service dept. called me to say it was the TIPM, appx. $950.00, not under warranty, and about 3 to 5 days to fix.

- Steve E., Brunswick, OH, USA

Oct 292015

Grand Cherokee Overland V8

In the last 2 days, my 2012 Grand Cherokee has shut off while driving twice. On 10/29/2015 exiting the highway with my 2 year old daughter. The second time was the following day 10/30/2015 with my wife driving by herself.

I have had the vehicle for about 30 days. I purchased it from the dealership.

The vehicle shut off. There were no warning lights. The radio and lights all still worked. I had to coast to the side with no brakes, no power steering. Once stopped I could put it in park and start it again without issue.

- James S., Woodbury, MN, USA

Nov 142014

Grand Cherokee ES 4.6L

TIPM failed and left me stranded. Dealer had no replacement and had to build one to go around the original TIPM the service manager said these should be recalled any day. So far not!

- Sam W., Cedar Park, TX, US

Oct 052015

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8

We took the Grand Cherokee to the dealer in August 2015 due to the R09 recall for the faulty fuel pump relay. Two months later, the car won't start. Our (non-Chrysler) mechanic identifies the problem is low fuel pressure, and suggests we take the car to the dealer since the repair should be covered under the recall. However after three days (!) of diagnosis, they say the problem is with the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) but NOT with the fuel pump relay WHICH IS PART OF THE TIPM!! They say they have to replace the TIPM, costing $1300! I tried calling the Chrysler customer service number, but after a long, heated, discussion, got nowhere.

We need the car back, so I authorized the repair, but I am furious with Jeep.

PLEASE NEVER BUY A CHRYSLER/DODGE/JEEP VEHICLE!! I know I never will again.

- craigknj, Princeton Junction, NJ, USA