Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 302017

Grand Cherokee

When I try to start Jeep it won┐T start acts like not getting fuel does this randomly after getting started sometimes takes days or minutes it runs fine not battery new not started checked had fuel relays replaced never know when I turn car off if it will happen

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Feb 092018

Grand Cherokee

Intermittent stalling usually during deceleration. Four times in the past 3-months. Twice while slowing for a right turn, once while slowing on a downgrade. The vehicle can only be restarted if in park forcing the need to come to a complete stop and shifting into park. The only indication is the loss of engine noise, power steering and confirming using the tachometer. This condition could lead to a rear collision on a busy road way, a roadway with no breakdown lane or trapped in a center land of a multilane road. Prior to the current stalling repairs per R09 / NHTSA 15V-115 were implemented. The repairs may not been effective.

- Jensen Beach, FL, USA

Aug 262017

Grand Cherokee

In late August 2017, we began to experience intermittent failures of the fuel pump manifested by difficulty starting the engine and engine cutouts at highway speeds (I.e., the same issues that required the R09/NHTSA 15V-115 safety recall). Within days, the engine would start at all and the car had to be towed. Ultimately, it was determined that the external fuel pump relay installed as part of the recall and the fuel pump itself were defective and had to be replaced.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Dec 052017

Grand Cherokee

My car stalls out while I am driving.

- Ramona, CA, USA

Nov 052017

Grand Cherokee

Car suddenly accelerated on its own when slowly being driven in reverse in driveway. Shot backwards and eventually hit tree and stopped. This was not user error. The floor mat was not stuck. All this was checked.

- Mount Kisco, NY, USA

Oct 012017

Grand Cherokee

Car had previously had R09 / NHTSA 14V-115 completed to fix a fuel pump issue. I have had the car in twice since then and informed Jeep that it is still having the same issue. The fuel pump has randomly stopped three times since the repair and is now having intermittent no start issues. The dealership could not duplicate and claims there is no issue. We replaced the battery hoping it would solve the issue to no avail. This is a huge safety issue and I have read of multiple people having the same problem. The car restarts each time, but it is the fact that it just randomly shuts off when it wants.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Nov 042016

Grand Cherokee

Alternator / electrical issues- November 4, 2016 my wife was taking our son to school when she began getting a burning smell from under the hood. After dropping off my son, she pulled over and noticed smoke coming from under the hood. She cut the car off, initially thinking it just overheated. We left the car in the school parking lot overnight hoping it would start up the next day. I tried to start the car, but it wouldn't start and the key got stuck in the ignition. After having it towed to a mechanic, we learned that the alternator suddenly failed, draining the battery and causing the engine stall. This is my second time submitting this complaint with no response from your organization.

- Lancaster, SC, USA

Sep 072017

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of engine power. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The vehicle was taken to myrtle beach Chrysler Jeep located at 785 jason blvd, myrtle beach, SC where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The contact stated that prior to the failure, the vehicle was remedied under NHTSA campaign number: 15V115000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 108,000.

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

Sep 042017

Grand Cherokee

While on a nearby highway the vehicle stalled out on me. I was able to get into shoulder and after, immediately after stalling out I attempted to start the car right away, it took about 4 attempts for vehicle to start up again. Took vehicle to the dealership they first diagnosed it being an issue with the key fob battery after being replaced the vehicle ran for about a week then the original problem reoccurred. This time in town in the middle of an intersection. Vehicle was not able to start and had to get vehicle towed. After taking it bake to the dealer they informed me that there was an issue with the primary and secondary fuel pumps.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Jul 282017

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V115000 (electrical system), for which the fuel pump relay was replaced. Approximately two years after receiving the repair, the contact began to notice that the vehicle would crank, but failed to start. The contact would have to make several attempts to start the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to Chrysler fullerton (located at 1044 us route 22, East summerville, NJ, 08876; 908-722-2500) where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump relay failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that they were unable to provide another repair. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Middlesex, NJ, USA

Jul 242017

Grand Cherokee

Car stalled 2 times, towed to jim click Jeep in tucson R09. My fuel pump was replaced for $1284 at only 81,230 miles. I believe the go around fix of a cable vs replacing the computer caused my fuel pump to fail prematurely, and I could have been hit when my car stalled 2 times in motion

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 012016

Grand Cherokee

Engine light will come on and when I attempt to accelerate the Jeep will not go over 25 mph. I need to pull over as soon as possible and turn the car off. I may need to do this several times before it will start to drive normally. The engine light will remain on anywhere from hours to several days while the car drives normally. There is no pattern to when it happens. I have taken the Jeep in to a dealer. Oil filter housing replaced. Did not correct the problem - drove fine for 4 days. Can happen anywhere - pulling out onto major highway or just driving on a country road. It is very dangerous and scary. It is back at the shop again. Each time I have to pay for the repair and rent a another vehicle. It has been happening for a for quite awhile, but since I need my vehicle I have lived with it. I will soon be transporting 2 young children to camp every day and it is happening more often so I had to have it fixed. Also the cost of repair is almost $3000 so far plus renting a vehicle at $50/day. I just purchased the vehicle 11/12/15. I put the date as 01/01/2016 since it has happened regularly since I got it, but it is now happening every few days.

- Manchester, MD, USA

Apr 302017

Grand Cherokee

SUV would not start, towed to a local mechanic, replaced air metering valve, still did not start. Was informed by my mechanic there is a recall on the sensor in the fuel tank but I was not told by Chrysler anything about this problem when the truck was in the shop four other times for two other recalls. Truck must be towed to Chrysler so they can look at this problem.

- Keller, TX, USA

Apr 142017

Grand Cherokee

While Jeep is in drive motion, the engine goes off, causing the power steering to become very hard to handle and stalling. Problem has escalated. Contacted Jeep and they made me an appointment at my expense. This is very scary when it happens and you have no warning. It has happened on the interstate as well as county roads.

- Raymond, MS, USA

Apr 182017

Grand Cherokee

On regular occasion vehicle will fail to start, occasionally vehicle will stall while driving causing lose of power steering and brake assist rendering vehicle hard to control. Fuel pump relay recall has been completed and wcm has been replaced.

- Abrams, WI, USA

Jan 182017

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that the fuel pump fractured and caused a host of electrical failures in the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle would not accelerate and smoke appeared under the hood of the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jan 052017

Grand Cherokee

Similar to other complaints I've seen and related to the tipm / fuel pump relay in my opinion. Car cranks but fails to start, however with a little patience and re trying it occasionally works. The battery was replaced and still persisted. Then the keys were replaced and still persisted. Then the win module was replaced and still persisted until finally I couldn't get it started after several attempts. Towed to dealer and they think its fuel pump. ( but not 100% sure ) noticed intake manifold is cracked now too. ( from cranking over and over perhaps ? ) recall on the tipm resulted in them installing external fuel pump relay but my guess is the tipm is defective and the external fuel pump relay was band-aid solution. I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer. I told them to start a tech ticket with head office so the unnecessary costs don't escalate any further.

- Toronto, NY, USA

Dec 192016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic), 15V115000 (electrical system), and 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting). The contact later found out that the repairs were not completed. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Medford, GA, USA

Jan 042017

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

When driving the vehicle within the first 20-45 minutes of starting, the vehicle will stall while driving when slowing down. The vehicle is still at speed but the engine stalls leaving no power steering or brakes. This occurs when slowing typically but can occur at speeds of up to 30-40mph. This happens almost daily at this point and seems to be getting worse.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Dec 172016

Grand Cherokee

Took my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee to arrigo Chrysler Dodge Jeep for 2 recalls in September 2016 one wiring issue in the visor and one fuel pump relay. Dealer informed me recalls were remedied. December 16, 2016 I was experiencing problems starting vehicle and problems with vehicle sputtering while driving and while stopped. Took car back to arrigo to diagnose problem. Was told problem was fuel pump relay at cost of approximately $650. Expressed my concerns that although recalls were recorded as "performed" in their system, car was not properly repaired. Service advisor told me there was nothing else wrong with my vehicle and the recall actually took place June 2015. That is incorrect as I called fca and they in fact verified that in their system, recall was entered as "completed" in September 2016 at same dealer, arrigo. Called arrigo and service advisor said he re-checked the vehicle and the fuel pump relay was actually in good shape, it was serviced in September 2016. He said the reason the check engine light was on was because the software needed updated and the check engine light would be okay and the vehicle was performing "as it is designed to work" having no other problems. I hesitantly paid $75 to have the "software updated" to avoid the $150 diagnostic fee if there is no service. One hour after I paid and left the dealer the check engine light came on and the vehicle began acting exactly like it had before "servicing" at the dealer. Also later in the evening I tried starting the car and noticed the car would continue to crank without turning the vehicle on. Again, the same problem I had before I took my car in. I believe no action was taken in repairing recall issues and they are trying to make customers pay ($650 in my case) to actually make the repairs.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA