2014 Kia Sorento engine problems: engine blown

Engine Blown

2014 Kia Sorento

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Kia dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2nd generation Sorento (2011-2014) has just too many engine problems at early mileage, year after year.

8.9

$8,500

1. replace engine (10 reports)
2014 Kia Sorento engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Sorento:

2014 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Dec 242018

Sorento LX V6

I took my 2014 Sorento in for recall checks on Friday December 21, 2018. I was told there was 3. 2 were part replacements and 1 was the metal check in the engine where they told me they did a "complimentary" oil change. They said everything checked out an sent me on my way. We noticed immediately one of the head lights was out, but my husband fixes those no problem, so we didn't pay it any mind. It was Christmas weekend so we didn't do much besides drive a few miles to the store, so the car mostly sat until Christmas Eve. He were headed to see family, not to far maybe 15 miles at most. We noticed the engine making noises that didn't sound great but thought we would at least make it through the day. NOPE! Engine completely friggin died. There we were on the side of the road 3 kids in the car at 10PM on Christmas Eve. Kia has had my car now for 24 hours and I haven't heard a word.

- Brooke Lauryn M., La Plata, MD, US

Dec 052017

Sorento LX 2.4L

Purchased my wife a 2014 Kia Sorento back in November of 2017 at our local Kia dealership. The SUV looked like new and only had around 50,000 miles on it. I was the second owner and looked like the previous owner took care of the car. Took it home and not three weeks later the engine blows.

Last time I drove it without any issues was on my way back home from work on the freeway. Got home, parked overnight, then the next morning as we started our routine, I hear this small ticking coming from outside the car. I though I had a rock on one of the tires and was ticking as I drove forward. But the ticking continued at the stop sing. We drove one more block and the ticking turned to louder as a tap. Then I figured the cooling fan must be hitting a hose or something under the hood. Drove another block, right before getting onto the freeway and the tap turned to a loud knocking noise. That's when I knew it was more than the fan. The engine was a goner.

I drove back home, as the car began to die due to the problem. Parked it at home and called the Kia dealership. Thank GOD this car was still under the 60,000 mile warranty and the replacement of the engine cover under this. Had I drove it 7,000 more miles, I would have had to pay this out of pocket.

- Fernando R., Georgetown, US

Sep 212017

Sorento EX 4W 3.2L V6

I have been trying to get a slight miss repaired since the first oil change. Eighteen (18) injectors, 4 new tires (could not balance original tires) later, I took the new service manager for a drive. He agreed there is something wrong with this car. Took it in for scheduled repair (again) on 8/13/17 and on the morning of 8/14/17 when the mechanic started the motor, the parking lot filled with smoke from exhaust. Motor blew in their shop.

Good news: covered under warranty. Bad news: will be rebuilt with a new short block (back ordered until unknown @ this time) and original heads. The short block is the only new part assuming all other components are reusable. This work will be done by the same mechanic's that could not solve the problem over the past 4 years.

Note: this car only has 12400 easy miles, stored in garage, oil changed due to time not miles. This near new Sorento already has 17 items listed on Carfax and someday will have a rebuilt motor someday. Kia has NOT been customer friendly! Unfortunately, this case does not qualify for the "Lemon Law" in the state of Oregon.

- snsshidewayss, Hammond, US

Jan 152016

Sorento ES

I had all of my receipts from my oil changes. However, I was told by KIA that they would not honor the warranty because one of the oil changed used an after market oil filter instead of a KIA oil filter. My car smoke upon acceleration and has very little power. I was told there is sludge in the engine and I need a new one. I just cannot afford an $8,000 repair. I will never trust KIA again. This was my very first brand new car and I am upside down in payments. I owe more than it is worth. I am stuck and this is so miserable.

- vaedra, Alexandria, VA, USA

Sep 022016

Sorento LX 2.4L 4 cyl

Purchased 2014 Kia Sorento in December of 2014. First three service jobs were completed at the dealership. On 9/9, I noticed smoke coming out tail pipe upon acceleration. Husband checked oil, said it was fine but said it needed changing. I knew I was about 2K over recommended oil change. Took to Jiffy Lube to have oil changed on Monday 9/12, when pulling into Jiffy Lube, smoke is billowing out the back of the car. They checked oil said there was no oil. They put oil in it and I went straight to dealership.

After a 3 hour wait at dealership, I was told my engine is gone it is burning oil due to sludge. I proceeded to tell them there shouldn't be any sludge I had oil changed every 5K miles or so. I did realize I was about 2K miles past my service. I was told the warranty would not cover engine because I was over the recommended mileage and to even be considered under warranty I would need to produce receipts for all service done on the car. My husband changed the oil the past three times and I did not have any receipts. I was then told warranty is null and void. I mentioned I received a letter a week earlier from Kia stating a known issue with the engines and the warranty had been extended. He said provide receipts where your husband changed the oil.

I contacted the owner of the dealership, he owns 5. Supposedly, he was out of town for a week and I was told the GM would call me. I never received a phone call from anyone. Needless, to say I traded within a few days. I LOVED my Sorento and had sent Kia of Auburn several customers after I purchased my car, one of which had to have her engine replaced. I will NEVER buy another Kia/Hyundai product and will share my experience with anyone and everyone that will listen!

- Karen C., Opelika, AL, USA

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Jul 302016

Sorento SXL 3.3L V6 Awd

I was driving my vehicle to Amarillo,TX and the trip is about 100 miles from where I live. Shortly after I left home my A/C stopped working and would only blow warm air, I had an appointment the following week to get the 60,000 mile service, so I just added to the things they would have to look at because it was working intermittently prior to that. About 55 miles into the trip while my cruise control was set my vehicle started losing power, there was no warning lights or indicator that there was a problem. I pulled over to the side of the highway and noticed smoke coming out of the hood. I wasn't in a town and it was 95 degrees outside. While on the phone with Kia roadside assistance a state trooper pulled up behind me, roadside assistance told me that it would be 90 minutes to get a tow truck to me and at that time the state trooper told me he could have one there in 20 minutes, so instead of waiting on the side of the road for 90 minutes I let the trooper get a tow for me. The vehicle was towed to the same dealer that I bought it from, this happened on a Saturday, so they couldn't look at it until Monday. Kia did not have a loaner vehicle and since I was stranded and due to the time, I had to rent a vehicle from the airport, which was $300 a week. Monday they called and told me that it would need a new engine and they had to see if Kia would cover it, 5 days later they said they would cover it, but in the meantime I am still having to pay for a rental. My car was towed there on 30 Jul and was not finished until 24 Aug. It is now 7 Sep and I am still waiting on a decision from Kia to reimburse me for the tow and rental expenses. I was told that Kia would reimburse $25 a day if I rent a non Kia vehicle and $35 a day if I rent a Kia, I did not find a rental for less than $50 a day. I live in a small town, the closest rental agency is 30 miles away and there is only one agency in the area, so I'm lucky if they even have a car available, let alone it being a Kia. I have more I can say but I think people can get the picture. I loved my car, but after my experience with how they do business I will never buy a Kia again.

- Jenna S., Portales, NM, USA

Apr 292016

Sorento

Kia has yet to say that they will honor the warranty. My husband changed the oil and they are trying to determine if my husband put some other substance in the car. He has been changing oil for 50 years - I think he knows what he is doing. We are still waiting for an answer but after reading the four other comments about blown engines, I am not too optimistic. They have said it is an $8000.00 repair!!! They have given me a free loaner though.

Update from Jun 7, 2016: Kia notified us that are repairing our car at no cost to us. They installed a new engine and had it back to us in record time. Kia informed us that they could fine nothing wrong with the car that they felt was their responsibility but they were fixing the car out of "good will"!!! They said it was not properly maintained!!! Are you kidding me? when was the last time a large corporation did something like that out of "good will"? They have a problem with that engine and they know it and they don't want any one screaming "lawyer".

- Marie I., Brandon, FL, US

Dec 102015

Sorento

I purchased the Kia Sorento new June 2013. I had my first oil change at the dealer at about 5700 miles on or about November 2013. The dealer told us that Kia had the best warranty and only suggested oil changes at 7500-10,000 mile intervals. I purchased the oil and my father changed the oil 2 more times once in July 2014 and again September 2015. This vehicle was purchased for my wife who gave birth to our son three days after purchasing the vehicle. It was not driven often because she did not return to work until October 2013. As a teacher she only worked until May 2014 and did not return to work until September 2015. She worked less than 10 miles from home therefore our mileage was low. Around December 10, 2015 my wife said the car was “acting funny”. I told her to come home and I would have my dad look at it. When she came home the car appeared fine no lights, no warnings, no sounds that wasn’t normal. The next day we were driving and the car it just stopped on the side of the road. We had it towed to the dealership. The dealer took several days to tell us that the engine was blown because we didn’t change the oil enough. We were not due for another oil change for 5000 miles. After a month of waiting Kia told me they were not fixing under warranty. I have spoke to many people, dealerships, junk yards, mechanics... all say after only 30000 on the car no way it should have that much engine sludge to blow the engine even IF it was never changed. (But it was I am not an idiot I know a car needs oil changes this isn't my first car and I wasn't born yesterday!!!!!)

So here I am with a car that is due to come off lease in June, I have a second child due to be born in June and we had to go buy another car so we could WORK... I have a 5000 bill for an engine that came from a piece of crap company. I see so many with same issue and wonder what do I have to do to start a class action lawsuit against KIA???

#screwedbyKia

Fact: Kia has had a previous class action lawsuit for the 2004-2009 Kia Sorento due to engine issues.

Fact: Toyota had previous class action lawsuit for their engine sludge issues.

Fact: HYUNDAI SONATA has known issues - KIA AND HYUNDAI SAME COMPANY!!!!

- Jason W., Mishawaka, IN, US

Nov 262014

Sorento 2.4L 4 cyl

2013 KIA Sorento was driving fine when suddenly it died. I was on the Interstate in Holiday traffic. No lights indicating a problem. Fortunately I was able to get it to the side of the road. Had it towed to closest KIA Dealership where I was told the Engine had blown. Still under Warranty, however KIA will not honor it. When the engine blows, there should be SOME indication, before it happens. Had I not been able to maneuver to the road side, any number of horrible accidents could have occurred.

- Paula S., El Paso, TX, US

Oct 292014

Sorento

As stated by the previous person that had a blown engine, mine was the same thing. I was sitting at a light and accelerated to go when there was a pop and the engine started loosing compression. I immediately pulled over to the side of the road. I had the vehicle towed to the KIA dealer that I bought it from.

I was informed that the engine was blown and because my husband changed our own vehicles oil (he has been changing oil for his own vehicles for over 30 years and never had any problems) it was no longer under warranty. To repair it, the cost will be over $6000 of which I don't have. A 25,000 vehicle that is useless!

I bragged how I loved my KIA and virtually sold three of my friends into getting one. Now I am not a happy KIA owner!!!!

- Jamie H., Vandalia, OH, USA

Jan 212014

Sorento 2.4L

I was riding down the highway and felt a pop underneath my car. Few min later my car started sputtering. I turned the radio off and checked the warning lights to see what was happening. There was no warning light on and no noise. The car cut off and would not restart or even make a sound. I had it towed to Battleground Kia where we bought the car. They said the oil plug is gone and the engine is gone. They blamed it on my husband who was the last one to change the oil. He changed it 2850 miles ago. He has been changing oil his whole life. If the cap was just loose, it should have come out long before then. It also was not leaking any oil nor burning oil. KIA admitted this was very strange and that they haven't seen this before but still refuse to help us at all. They want 12,000 for a new engine or 7,600 for a used one. We also paid for the extended warranties and cant even get a rental car. The service manager Billy Milone admitted that he made the decision before he looked at my car. He sure put a lot of time and effort into finding out the truth. What customer service....I don't have thousands of dollars to fix this car because I JUST BOUGHT A NEW CAR!!!!!!! THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!!! I have done a lot of research this week and I know now that KIA's have a long history of oil gasket and engine problems. Not sure what to do next.... Advise.. Anyone ever heard of this

?