1. replace engine (3 reports)
2017 Kia Sorento engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Kia Sorento:

2017 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

May 102019

Sorento LX V6

engine light started blinking and car wouldn't go over 40 mph, carried it straight to dealership.

today is june 6, 2019 this happened may 10, 2019, after 2 days they said they would replace engine.

2 days later now they are checking all engines before shipping new engine. we called yesterday and now they are saying the first of july.

this is ridiculous.

we are driving their optima right now.

we are wondering when we will really get our sorento back.

- Barbara W., Ocean Springs, MS, US

Feb 162019

Sorento LS 2.4L

Back on January 22nd, the check engine light on the Sorento came on. We took it to our local dealership who said it was a bad sensor but there was also a recall on the vehicle to update the firmware. On February 16th, the check engine light comes on again, this time it is flashing. The vehicle goes into what they called limp mode. We take it in and they tell us this is an issue with the engine and that it will need to be replaced. It is part of the Theta II issues that have been happening. They set us up with a rental from Enterprise. They don't have a timeline but we were fine with the solution at the time.

On March 6th we get a call from the dealership saying they talked to Kia and were told just to replace a NOX sensor. They did that, the check engine light went away, they rode it around for a while and gave it back to us. This morning it went back into limp mode and the check engine light was flashing again.

Not too happy at the moment. The dealership wouldn't confirm that the engine would be replaced at this time nor would they say what it would be replaced with. From what I saw, Kia has been under investigation for this engine since May of 2016. We bought the car on July of 2016. I can't help but feel that Kia sold us a car they knew would fail.

- Tom S., DYER, IN, US

Mar 202017

Sorento EX 3.5L V6 Awd

I leased a 2017 KIA Sorento EX V6 AWD on Feb. 23, 2017. Within two weeks, and less than 500 miles, there was a buzzing sound on start up that lasted for 5 minutes or so. It was very cold out so I thought it may be related to that. The problem continued so I called the dealer where I leased the vehicle (785 miles on it at this point). They said to bring it in. It is more than 50 miles from where I live to them. There is another dealer within two miles, they said I could take it there, March 20, 2017. I was at 1,005 miles at this point because I had to travel for business over the weekend. The dealer I took it to took two days to diagnose the problem. The oil pump failed and the engine was full of metal pieces. The fix, replace the engine. This is the fourth KIA I have owned and it may be the last. I have contacted KIA customer support and they were not much help. I suggested that because it has been less than 30 days and the problem started around 500 miles they should replace the vehicle. At trade in time having a remanufactured engine, whether it is good or not, will greatly affect the trade in value. I should not have to suffer financially because of their faulty product. Their response, "read your warranty". I contacted the selling dealer but there has not been a response yet.

- Harry T., Cleveland, US