2013 Nissan Sentra transmission problems: revving and jerking

Revving And Jerking

2013 Nissan Sentra (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

8.6

$3,370

1. replace transmission (24 reports)
2013 Nissan Sentra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Sentra:

2013 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 222019

Sentra SL

• CVT transmission

I purchased my 2013 Nissan Sentra used in 2017 with 97000 miles.

- Brittany S., West Monroe, LA, US

Dec 062018

Sentra 4.6L

I WAS DRIVING AND IT JUST STARTED STALLING AND JERKING. I WAS IN TRAFFIC AND IT GOT VERY DANGEROUS. WHEN I WENT TO GO UP THE HILL IN RAINY DARK TRAFFIC THE CAR STARTED ROLLING BACK WHEN I TOOK MY FOOT OFF THE BRAKE PEDAL. I HAD TO HAVE FOLKS PUSH ME OUT OF TRAFFIC AND GET A TOW. MY CAR IS STILL SITTING.

- La M., Washington, DC, US

Jul 122018

Sentra SI 1.8L

• CVT transmission

This is a Nissan Sentra 2013 first CVT transmission was replaced at or near 28,000 miles under warranty, currently vehicle is at at or near 80,000 miles when RPM's on motor cycle up and down, transmission slipping when traveling. If they (Nissan) had this problem with CVT transmissions why would they not correct problem.

The dealership gave verbal estimate to replace transmission for $4,000.00 or offered a $1.00 on trade in for new or used vehicle. Why would they think I would want another Nissan vehicle? Why would they think I wanted a new car payment?

I hope they go bankrupt for not taking care of customers

- William D., Buford, US

Nov 152017

Sentra 3.2L Lit

My car was taken to the dealer 3 times before the warranty was up, which was March of 2018. I was always told they couldn't identify the problem. So of course, once the warranty was up, a code finally set. This was addressed at no cost to me, but the problem was not fixed. The next time I took it in, they replaced another part and that cost me $350. Within a day and a half of that repair, the issue was worse and I mean a lot worse! I took my car back and they finally put in a new transmission for which they charged me $975. They stated that Nissan would cover 80%, I guess they did otherwise it would have been a lot more. What also irks me though is they would only give me a 12,000 mile/12 month warranty on their new part!! The final repair was completed in December 2018.

- Janice K., Fresno, US

Oct 102018

Sentra SL 1.8L 4c

• CVT transmission

Note: I am not a mechanic, any knowledge shared in here is based off of my own research and conversations with mechanics regarding CVT transmissions and Nissan cars in general.

I purchased this car in Feb. 2018 after doing some research online and seeing that there was a transmission issue with some of the Nissan's on the road. Like anything, you have to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt.. (ironic now that I am here) so I ended up purchasing the car WITH an extended Power-Train Warranty as a safety net. At the time of purchase, the car had roughly 60k miles on it. I did not notice a shudder or anything when I test drove it. I don't actually remember the exact time that passed before I did notice it, but I didn't think anything of it for quite awhile.

It wasn't behaving like any of the cars that I read about in reviews or complaints. Honestly, I figured that most people just didn't understand how a CVT transmission works and wanted to complain due to their own negligence and/or ignorance. A lot of complaints consisted of RPMs wildly varying while the car was accelerating, this was not my issue at all. I mean, yes, the RPM's DO fluctuate but that is part of a CVT transmission.

My issue was occasionally when I would slow down for say, a red light, and that light turned green and I immediately accelerated it would do this shudder. It would immediately even out and I learned to drive it so I would barely ever get the shudder. Then, it started to progressively get worse. It was harder for me to avoid causing the car to shudder. Eventually, I just stopped trying. I should probably mention that during that time it isn't like I didn't mention this to various mechanics that are familiar with CVT transmissions. I even had a (formally) trusted mechanic try to diagnose the issue. He came up empty and told me he couldn't get it to shudder and that it was most likely nothing more than the CVT trying to gauge where it needed to be.

Fast-forward until this fall. I have had the car now for 8 months. The shudder is now so predictable that I brought it in to our Honda dealer where we purchased our other car (2013 Civic - awesome car) and asked them to do a Drain and Fill on the transmission (they call it that instead of a transmission flush for some reason) and brought up that I thought there was something wrong with the transmission's performance. I brought it in this past Friday (10/12/18) and while I was waiting they came and told me that although they could do the transmission service, they had to get the fluid and the parts from Nissan itself. The parts would cost them about $280 without labor. It would be cheaper to do the transmission service at the Nissan dealership instead.

With that information in mind, I still asked if we could do a test drive with a technician so I could show him what I thought was off about the transmission's performance. Of course we could, so a few minutes later we were off. It took a little coaching as you have to slow down and then aggressively accelerate in order to produce the shudder, but once the technician heard/felt it he asked if I had a warranty on the car. Concerned, I replied that I did and asked why. He told me he had another Nissan in a different bay that he was working on with the same exact problem. He thought it might need a software update. Software updates are of course, done only through Nissan.

Once I left the Honda dealership, I made a call to one of the local Nissan dealerships and asked them about a transmission service and software update. I tend to ramble when I am nervous, so I mentioned the shudder and the Nissan technician stopped me immediately. He explained that neither a software update nor a transmission service was going to solve the shuddering issue. He said (and he was very confident) that if there is a shudder like I described, it was the transmission and it most likely has a internal failure. The only fix? Replace the transmission. Since he has not seen the car yet, he can't be sure but he is confident that is what he will find when I do bring it in this Wednesday (10/17/18).

So.. currently, the car is up to go to Nissan this coming week to be scanned and diagnosed for a transmission failure. The Nissan technician asked me to bring in my warranty information and he will start the claims process for me. He informed me that this may take a few days to do and to set up a rental car or other arrangements.

In my personal opinion, Nissan sucks. There are thousands of complaints with these transmissions in varying years, I have seen them as new as a 2015 Altima on another site. Even knowing what I was getting into in the beginning, I didn't really expect to have to replace the transmission 10-15k miles into owning it. Like I mentioned previously, I just figured most of the complaints I read were from people that had issues - because, let's be honest, 9/10 times the only people who post reviews are the unhappy ones. In this case, I was wrong. It is a common issue with the CVT transmissions in Nissan cars and Nissan is doing nothing about it that I can see. They just keep burying the issue and hope that it goes away.

It's not going away. Did you know, I was flipping through an auto magazine, the ones with the ranks of the brands of cars for the year? And did you know where Nissan fell on the list? Below Ford. I mean, c'mon. Ford?! No offense to Ford lovers, but they don't have the best reputations. The only brands that I can remember that ranked lower than Nissan were Chrysler, Jeep (second to bottom of the barrel shockingly), and Fiat (no surprise.. bottom of the list). There were more in between that but that is what I remember.

Anyways, I will try to remember to keep this updated with how my experience goes. How much my warranty actually covers, what I pay out of pocket, etc. for those who are wondering if they are in the same boat.

Toodles!

Update from Oct 21, 2018: The car was seen by Nissan, but they didn't get any reports from the scan they did. The car had two recalls for a software update and an air bag issue so I had those taken care of and the technician wants me back for an oil change in <1000 miles to check to see if the software update is the solution for why they weren't getting any failure information on the transmission. Will update as soon as that happens.

- Ash D., Allendale, MI, US

Oct 122018

Sentra S 2

Dont every buy a nissan. My transmission is gone at 80k miles and there is nothing that nissan can do to correct or fix.

- Monica S., Fairburn, US

Sep 012018

Sentra

• CVT transmission

My 2015 Sentra transmission is terrible- jerks, hesitates and lurches forward. It sometimes will not take off after making a complete stop, or will sometimes not shift to the next gear. I have to stop, place in park, and then back in drive for the vehicle to shift gears.

- wenesak, Fort Worth, US

Aug 032018

Sentra SR

I really have enjoyed having a Nissan, but this Sentra is making me have second thoughts, especially if Nissan is aware of this issue. Why don't you all have this listed as a recall. STEP YOUR GAME UP NISSAN, THIS IS A PAIN IN THE ASS, REALLY.

- Jacqueline H., Lynchburg, US

Feb 062018

Sentra SR 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I bought a Nissan thinking it would last, as they use to be reliable cars. I do a daily commute to work 100 miles a day. Starting around 98,000 miles the car began having a weird jerking like something was wrong with a tire or I drove over a bumpy road from first and second gear at times. Wouldn't happen all the time but here and there.

Then one day I went to give it gas and it wouldn't go. I was told to clean my fuel injectors which I did. I stopped having the issue of not picking up any speed but the weird jerking and bumping still occurred here and there. Now at 113,000 it has gotten worse as now when I drive and if I give it to much gas it will stick in a high gear and I have to pull over and place in park and then get back on the road. But now it is hesitating to go into gear and I am driving it until the stupid thing breaks.

I have already called three transmission places and the cost will range from $4500-3800. I really cannot believe Nissan is not stepping up the plate with these numerous complaints and class action lawsuits and us as the buyers are the ones suffering. I also have a friend who has a 2014 Nissan Sentra who hasn't had a car in 30 days due to his transmission going out at 60,000.

Update from Jul 24, 2018: Brought my car in and my transmission was shot. Had transmission replaced at 113,700. The total to fix was $4,491.00 at the dealership. Fortunately, I still had an extended mechanical warranty that I didn't realize I still had that was good up to 120,000 otherwise I don't know what I would have done.

- Erika A., Slidell, US

Jun 072018

Sentra

I bought my vehicle brand new in December 2013 and there were only two miles on it when I drove it off the lot. I use my car mostly for city driving and seldom drive more than 100 miles in one trip. I'm shocked that I've had the car for less than five years and I'm already replacing the transmission.

- Colleen M., Durham, US

Apr 112017

Sentra ES 1.6L

• CVT transmission

2013 Nissan Sentra started having problems shifting and acting like it was missing. After changing plus I realized it was the transmission. Took to the dealer and they charged me $748 to replace as the original price was double that. Now I find out this should be a recall and cost me nothing. NOT HAPPY!! Also own a 2013 Versa with the same transmission CVT and it is now doing the same thing has 89,000 miles. These cars are a joke.

- mustang67gt1, Kingman, US

Feb 012018

Sentra SL 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Have 2013 Nissan Sentra I bought new and is my 3rd Nissan. It has been maintained well and I was shocked to see the transmission go out after 69k miles. After researching online though I have found that the issue they extended the warranty coverage for models up to 2000 does not appear to be fixed at all. This is something that should be a recall. Shame on you Nissan for this big cover up.

- Michael M., Saint Augustine, US

Dec 212017

Sentra FE 1.8L

• CVT transmission

Bought car used 1 yr ago, at 19k miles. Noticed it would jerk, rpms bounce...called dealer...they said it was normal...drove the year..decided to take in while warranty was still cover it in Dec 2017.

Service was shown videos, and see that cvt slipping/ rpms bounce when slipping. Nissan replaced cvt.

Pick up car, drive car 4 blocks and attempt to enter freeway...car revs and jerks bad... I call dealer while I'm on interstate...was told to drive and see what happens...drove a week with same slippage as original cvt.

Returned to dealer Jan 2018. Cleared tcm and supposedly updated software for transmission.

Picked up car... seemed ok until about 60 miles from dealer..and cvt slips just as before... usually going up hills.

Called service guy... he goes off saying they have done everything they can, and I must be driving the car wrong..or something...I stop him, listen.. the car is on interstate, cruise on, what could I be doing to make cvt slip?

Drove home, called Nissan support and opened a case...have not heard from anyone as of yet.

Update from Jan 9, 2018: update

returned car to nissan service

nissan reginal rep called, basically said she was the rep for the area

service advisor asked a few question about how long the car has been doing the slipping, and said he was awaiting to hear back from nissan engineers on how to correct problem...

advisor also spoke of this was the first gen of the xtronic cvt, it is in the 2013-14 Sentra's and that they had simular issue in the Altima and they redesigned the cvt valve body to correct the issue in that car, but no redesign was made for the 13-14 sentra, and 15-18 got gen 2 xtronic cvt with updated cvt valve body... awaiting word on what they are going to do...but sounds like nissan is going to say, the cvt is working as designed, not that its working correctly...but will see in a few days!

Update from Jan 15, 2018: Car returned today from Service.. Dealership service explains they drove car 300 miles.. and it was not bad, only moderate jerking and slipping, and they think its the Transmission Control module causing the problem, but while they drove, they atempted to record data to determine failure... nothing was recorded out of the normal ... and then stated on warranty paperwork, Problem cold not be duplicated, Nissan Case Manager calls also, says Dealership could not recreate problem, I play Audio recording of Service advisor stating they DID recreate the problem, and dont know how to fix, Nissan repeats herself saying it dont matter, Its stated on paperwork they could not recreate problem, and they are done with any warranty work

I have all paperwork, Many Video recordings of orginal transmission jerking/slipping, with mileage on video, then when reman transmission was installed by nissan, Video shows same slippage/jerking , returned to Service with Videos, Service preforms additional warranty work of updating the transmission control mondule, I pick car up again, Make it 65 miles from dealer... and transmission slipping/jerking once again... I do many videos to back prove issue still exists, return to nissan... and now Dealer/nissan claims are saying its not happening... so opening up a claim ony with nissan ony got the two on the same page, Nissan will not warranty the issue because the dealer can't create or duplicate... But I have proof that they actually did recreate by recording the service manager explain what they did, results, and now I am on barrowed time, Nissan is waiting me out for the warranty to expire, I will be doing more videos and documenting .....I feel like big nissan has showed they will do what they want, and not back up the warranty by having the service write it up as no problem found or "seems normal to us"

If anyone would like to see videos or paperwork on hw they will do you... I have it all

Update from Nov 13, 2018: I lost the battle..and so will you...so just trade or sell..and be over the nissan cvt

yeah..its not right...

it sucks

but there is no fix, dealer will eventually get rid of you

they cant fix it

the only way out...is to get rid of car

- John B., Byesville, OH, US

Oct 182017

Sentra LX 1.8L

• CVT transmission

click to see larger images

revving and jerking

Bought the vehicle at 70 000 Km (42 000 Mi). Certified 124 pt inspection by Nissan Dealer. Great Value ! Mostly Highway miles ! Ha! Found transmission jerking and revving started in the 90 000 km range. Went for service at Nissan dealership at 95 K and mentioned the problem : diagnosis all is fine ( I was within Nissan's drivetrain warranty limit). Problem worsened progressively but came to a head in late october 2017. 25 000 km

after the «all fine» diagnosis, I am told I need a new transmission...

Should have bought a Honda or Toyota.

- Georges D., Longueuil, QC, Canada

Jun 202017

Sentra SV 1.8L

It's very depressing. Not sure if it stops moving anytime.

- Victor O., los angeles, CA, US

Aug 012017

Sentra SV 1.8L

• CVT transmission

I purchased my vehicle brand new off the lot in 2013. I just paid it off about 3 months ago, which made me very happy. Now to be slapped in the face that the transmission is going to have to be replaced and will cost me another $3700 pisses me off. I hit my 83000 mile mark about the beginning of August 2017 and all of a sudden my car began to jerk as I am driving along of 30 miles per hour, it sometimes will not take off after making a complete stop, or will sometimes not shift to the next gear. I have to stop, place in park, and then back in drive for the vehicle to shift gears. I am just so out done with this issue. It seems these new transmissions are more costly to the client then to the dealer. Just another way to get money. I have always thought of Nissan as a high quality product and have purchased several over the years. Majority of my vehicles are still on the road , the oldest being a 95 Nissan Sentra, with over 200k miles. Now, go with this one with the new CVT transmission ain't worth the money I have spent. I hope that Nissan will consider this to be a defect and make this a recall. Too many issues from different people not to. From my understanding this CVT caused them to warranty the older models because of the same issue, but they did not offer the same on the 2013, I guess thinking all the kinks were out. Well, they are not.

- Teressa S., Winston Salem, NC, US

Oct 062017

Sentra SR

• CVT transmission

It used to happen every once in a while, now it occurs every morning. For the first 3 starts off a stop sign every morning, you will hear the car rev up, feel it shudder and you can tell the transmission belt slips and grabs repeatedly until it finally grabs hold, revs then come down and the car starts moving again. Now it even does it in SPORT mode, when it would not do it before in this mode. Also whenever I am coasting along and need to accelerate the transmission will skip and jump repeatedly making the car shudder, it doesn't matter if the car is warm or not if I try to accelerate after coasting for a bit. The car is at the dealership now getting diagnosed. I had to pay $120 dollars for the privilege of having Nissan diagnose their crappy transmission that they already know has had issues for years so for know they're making me do the tap dance, but at least now it is documented in their system. There is no reason for a car with 30,000 miles to be doing this. I drove another brand's CVT powered car for two years and that was the peppiest, most responsive car I've ever owned, no issues whatsoever. This car is a slug, the tranny can barely keep up with it. They keep making the cars bigger and heavier but insist on powering them with go cart equipment.

- Saul P., Williamsburg, VA, US

Mar 022017

Sentra 3.2L

• CVT transmission

I purchased my 2013 Sentra brand new. I just noticed when putting it reverse/drive it shutters. when driving it feels like the transmission is slipping and it revs up and has no power. is there any quick fixes for this.

- bhamblin, Mount Airy, US

Jun 022016

Sentra SL 1.8L

• CVT transmission

I just got my car of the lot on 2013 with 8,000 miles. At first my car wouldn't start. At one point I went to auto zone and they told me it was the battery. The battery in my vehicle was from Mexico, I had to replace it. Now my car jerks when I try to accelerate once I hit 40 mph. Then when I brake its starts to shake. I had my brakes replaced and the noise went out. Now its back but with the jerking when I try to accelerate after a stop. So annoying. I already still owe $10,000 on my vehicle and I'm not going to spend another 4,000 fixing what should of been fixed in the first place. I'm a single mother of 1 working full time and this sh*t is not acceptable. I don't even have food to feed my son right now. nor will I have money to pay this sh*t.

- andradeana, lathrop, CA, US

Nov 242016

Sentra SV V4

• CVT transmission

AS I WOULD DRIVE OFF FROM THE STOP SIGN MY CAR WOULD JERK, AND THE OTHER PART IS WHEN I DRIVE OVER 60 MPH AND SET IT ON CRUISE CONTROL, THE RPM NEEDLE WOULD MOVE UP AND DOWN. AS THE NEEDLE MOVES DOWN AS DRIVING 70 MPH THE CAR WOULD BARELY MOVE BACK AND FORTH THEN I WOULD PRESS THE ACCELL BUTTON UPWARDS TO 75 MPH THE RPM HAND WOULD MOVE UP TO 4000 RPMS AND THE HUMMING SOUND WOULD START. AS I STOP THE CRUIZE CONTROL AND STEP HARDER ON THE GAS PEDAL THE RPM HAN GOES DOWN TO 3000 RPMS IVE NOTICED AROUND 20 TO 30 MPH AS I DRIVE I WOULD HEAR THE CVT BAND SOUNDS LIKE A PERSON SHAKING A PLASTIC CUP WITH ROKS IN IT AND THE GEAR WHINING NOISE IS THIS NORMAL FOR A 2013 SENTRA?

Update from Apr 15, 2018: LAST WEEK MY CAR WOULD JUDDER AS I STEP ON THE ACCELERATER THE CAR WOULD FEEL LIKE YOUR GOING BACK AND FORTH AS THE RPM HAND GOES UP AND DOWN 3 CENTAMETERS OF AN INCH RAPIDLY AS I SLOW DOWN CAR WOULD SHAKE BAD I THOUGHT WOW!! LAST TIME I WOULD EVER BUY A CAR WITH A CVT

- Rockin R., Greenwood, IN, US