- October 19: Toyota Recalls Highlander and Highlander Hybrid SUVs recalls | 8 days ago
- October 13: ZF Airbag Lawsuit Includes 15 Million Vehicles news | 14 days ago
- October 2: Toyota Fuel Pump Recall Fix Lacking, Alleges Lawsuit news | 25 days ago
- September 23: Toyota RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid SUVs Recalled recalls | 34 days ago
- September 20: Toyota Soy Wiring Class Action Lawsuit Resurrected news | 37 days ago
2003 Toyota Camry
CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2003 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.
The problem with NHTSA data for the 2003 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.
So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.
CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2003 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.
2003 Toyota Camry Engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Stripped Head Bolts24
- Engine Died18
- Bad Valve Seals Causing Smoke6
- Knocking Noise From Intake Manifold6
- Sudden Unintended Acceleration6
- Excessive Oil Consumption4
- Low Idle Heavy Vibrating2
- Runs Roughly2
- Engine Dies After Starting1
- Engine Sludge And Blown Engine1
- Engine Turns Over But Won't Start1
- Oil Filler Baffle Damage1
- Yellow Light Appeared While Driving1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control229
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling52
- NHTSA: Engine45
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine32
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal27
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline2
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota Camry Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Camry compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota Camry overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Camry.