CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

7.8

$2,420

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (39 reports)
  3. replace engine (30 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (7 reports)
  5. replace piston assembly (6 reports)
  6. toyota has admitted there's a problem (6 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 14)

Mar 292018

Camry LE 2.4L

Awesome husband who is a mechanic changed the oil and only 1.5 quarts came out. This was a 3000 mile oil change. Upon research, he found out this is a problem for all these Camry's. He called the dealership only to be told there is a TSB but we are out of warranty with it being 2018. OK, we bought the car used May 2017, all oil changes have been normal. Three months after we are out of warranty, we have to spend thousands to repair something THEY knew was wrong. How are they getting away with this??????

- jlbrgn, Lavista, US

May 102017

Camry XLE 2.4L

Getting Low Oil message in every 1000 miles.. there is no leakage. Car is consuming extra oil.

- Rakesh K., Chester Springs, PA, US

Jun 012016

Camry SE 2.4L

if toyota knew about the issue, why weren't we notified?

- terencenolan, Raleigh, US

Jun 052017

Camry CE 2.4L

I talked to the help and they said recall info was sent. They had "Extended warranty", but when I dug into it, they didn't have the parts for the first 6 months. The 2nd notice was sent saying parts are available, but that notice was sent shortly before the warranty expired. When I called to find out how they plan to fix it, they essentially said "sorry, you're on your own". I bought a Toyota thinking Toyota is a respectable company with a great product. Very disappointed in Toyota on both counts.

- Rick G., Andover, US

Oct 072017

Camry LX V4

Being a 'reasonable' person- I have accepted my responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of all of my cars. I am a long-term Toyota owner- they have been in my family for 30 plus years and currently, my immediate family owns (4) FOUR. Our family routinely takes our Toyota's to the dealership for all service and maintenance. Most recently, the past (8) years I have lived in Catonsville, Maryland and taken my 2007 Toyota Camry to Russel Toyota- who has changed the oil and serviced and maintained it regularly. Evidently, an extended warranty notice was mailed out regarding the engine and excessive oil usage to my former address (who knows). According to the Corporate Toyota Rep. Toyota's standard was required to send out '1' one notice notifying it's valued customers of an extended warranty on the engine regarding the potential for this year to have a "high oil consumption and advising them of an extended warranty. As I had moved, this notice was never receive. Despite the move from Virginia where it had been previously serviced at First Team Toyota and Checker Flag Toyota- located in Virginia Beach, Virginia - I was never made aware that I should be concerned with high oil consumption. I maintained the oil and had it changed frequently. The oil light would flash sometimes when the brakes were applied and I always told the mechanic. There was never any mention of concern, warranty, or that this was a 'common' problem (High Oil Consumption) of the 2007 Toyota Camry- as I have now learned after reading various web-sites and blogs.

The old adage, "BUYER BEWARE" truly does apply- It's not so much that Toyota knew that the 2007 Camry built a 'faulty' motor during this year- 'they owned it' by extending the warranty. But the lack of information and knowledge truly does not benefit the owner- and call it what you want... I will call it deception- and being mislead- I don't know anything about cars- I trust the brand and dealership to keep me informed- as they do this SO WELL by telling me all the required and recommended service and maintenance updates. Not so much Toyota ever again-

When speaking with the corporate representative, he 'Prescriptively' told me that Toyota had an extended warranty (10 years)- that is very generous.- That would have been all well and good had I received the (1) one notice that he stated they are required to send out or told at just (1) one of the dealerships I took it to be serviced over an eight year period of time. And what about the dealerships... they knew I was getting my oil added and changed very frequently... yet the Corporate Representative in their defense quickly told me.. well they wouldn't have known you had a problem unless you told them... What? Frequent repeated oil changes.. 2007 Toyota Camry's - known issue with the engine? How am I suppose to know that Toyota created a faulty engine with high oil consumption is 2007, I am just the consumer...

Well, now we are just (3) months past our warranty time and you guessed it... Need a new engine and NOW I am told about the warranty... But it get's better.. the engine is knocking, cuts off.. and the Car is taken in where it is repaired with an oil change, and new spark plug in cylinder $150.00. (Drives like a champ...!) BandAid. 2 months later it's taken to yet another Toyota Dealership in Virginia Beach, Virginia Checkered Flag Toyota - guess what... this time it's identified we need a new fuel pump- new spark plug- more oil and change- cost approximately, $700.00. What year 2007? Anything we should be concerned about.. nope.. you're good. Okay... you're the expert. Today, it's knocking, cutting off, burning oil- we take it in.. and oh.. guess what.. you have a 2007 Toyota Camry- they are known to burn a lot of oil- they have an extended warranty. You need a new engine.

So this is my 'beef' ... how is a customer/owner suppose to know that a 2007 Toyota Camry has a KNOWN problem with high consumption of oil? I am very disappointed with the responses I got from the corporate office regarding their (1) one required notice.. "Well it wasn't a recall"... it was a warranty and it is the Customer's responsibility at this point, "you had 10 years". My question is... Why as MANY times as I had my car serviced and for HIGH OIL CONSUMPTION wasn't I told from the dealership.. His response, "well if you don't tell the dealership about the problem, how are they suppose to know?" Good point Mr. Customer Service Man... Well guess what Toyota?... This customer is going to buy a new car.. and guess what it's not going to be... EVER again... 30 years of Service and Satisfaction and we break-up over this..I plan to share these details of my experience regarding how well Toyota keeps it's customer's up to date and in the know about potential issues that may crop up with their cars. Trust me.. as a frequent dealership service customer- I was minded frequently of the necessary scheduled maintenance and replacement requirements set-up by the Toyota schedule - and they were performed and paid for.. Why would I not have taken advantage of my warranty earlier when I had known HIGH OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUES. I am just one of a million of your customers- so know great loss.. but of a family and extended family who owns... (8) EIGHT Toyota's currently - not all Camry's.. We will NOT be purchasing any Toyota's in the future. My complaint number through Toyota Corporate is #1710131260 and they basically told me to "kick rocks". Thanks Toyota.. it feels great to be a faithful and loyal customer.

- Elizabeth P., Suffolk, US

Sep 012017

Camry LE

I had no idea that my 2007 toyota camry had an excessive oil consumption problem until now. I just now learned that the company had given up to 10 years or 150,000 miles to supposedly offer to fix this problem. In my case, that expired back in August of 2016. I'm being punished because I had conservative miles on my car and just recently turned over 100,000 and that's when the problem arose as my husband starting noticing I was low in oil between oil changes. This is total bullshit and I will NEVER buy a Toyota again. I don't ever remember getting any kind of notification, but even if I had, I never had the problem until now. NOT FAIR.

- Nicky S., Des Moines, US

May 012017

Camry LE 2.4L 2az

Seems like every 1,000 miles I need to put a quart of oil in the car. Is that part of being a Toyota owner?

- mctwil01, Omaha, US

Jan 212017

Camry LX 2.4L

I wish the Toyota Dealership would have told me about this problem. I checked the oil the day I bought the car and it looked good... they conveniently kept the oil topped off so it looked good. I feel like they knew about the car and just wanted to get rid of it. I think Toyota should stand by their work and do whatever they need to do in order to stop my car from burning oil every 1,000 miles. Please help!

- Charles D., South Bloomingville, OH, US

May 062016

Camry LE V4

My car has excessive oil consumption but Toyota dealer refused to cover it under Toyota warranty enhancement because it has 198,640 miles. I discovered the problem when the car was under the warranty enhancement period but the Toyota dealer blamed the low oil on an oil pan gasket leak. I waited over a year before I fixed the leak and when I did just few month ago, my Toyota camry still low on oil. I took it few days ago to the same dealership and they told me there is no oil leak and it is low on oil because my car has excessive oil consumption and I need to replace the piston assembly to fix it which cost about $4900 and told me since the car has now 198,640 the warranty enhancement program is not going to cover it. I told them that it has been doing low on oil over a year an half ago which was under the enhancement warranty. They had me talk to Toyota hot-line but could not get it approved for repairs.

Please help me solve this issue with Toyota.

Imad

- Imad A., Melbourne, US

Oct 072014

Camry SE 2.4L

Car-2007 Toyota Camry 179000+ miles.

Bought a Toyota brand name in 2007 because they are so dependable.... Traded a 1996 Honda Accord for it with only 150k never used oil. I love the Camry but probably won't buy another Toyota product if they don't recognize and fix this oil consumption issue.

How many miles before the Catalytic Converter plugs up?? Then I can't drive it until I pay big$ AND the oil problem continues... Very Very disappointed! Come on Toyota let's make this right!

Never had a problem like this with the "beaters" we needed to buy when family was growing up.

We first caught this problem while changing plugs at around 140,000 miles. We were halfway through an oil change and found the oil level down a quart. Since then been checking and topping off as needed. Use to need top off once during oil change cycle, now it's 2-3 times. We get oil change at dealership so they provide free top offs. I have to carry oil " just in case " when we travel". Pain in the Butt! Who wants to lift the hood in a Holiday Inn parking lot? Looks bad for Toyota, right?

- Robert Q., Empire, US

Sep 112017

Camry LX V6

Toyota Camry 2007, Its a good car but consuming too much engine oil. For 1000 miles, I put 2 Bottles of 5 Galen Valvoline Synthetic.

- Ramesh B., Edison, US

Aug 312017

Camry ES 2.4L

Brought this car in March 2017 with 118,000 miles from dealership. Aginst advice to by a GM or Ford product. Had 2600 miles on oil change and herd a noise. Stopped at a local gas station and had them check the oil. NONE ON THE STICK!!! Added three quarts. Took the car back where I bought it. Now the say it needs a engine due to excessive oil consumption. Called Toyota and they told me there had been a program on this but it had expired so I could go F*CK MYSELF. This is the worst piece of sh*t vehicle on the road so don't beleive all the bullshit about them going 2-3000,000 miles. Unless they are on the back of a wrecker.

- Lennie B., Elkader, US

Mar 172017

Camry LE 4

I DONT HAVE $5.000 TO REPLACE ARE REBUILD A ENGINE FOR THE CAMRY AND IAM TOO OLD TO KEEP CHECKING THE OIL LIFTING THAT HOOD UP. EVERY WEEK TO PUT OIL IN THE CAMRY.THE DEALER TOLD ME IT WAS OKAY FOR THE CAR TO BURN OIL JUST KEEP MONTORING YOUR LEVEL I WHATED TO SCREAM FOR REAL ARE YOU FOR REAL RIGHT NOW HE SAIDED WE CAN FIX IT BUT IT WILL BE CLOSE TO FIVE THOUSAND TO FIX THE CAR . THREE PEOPLE THAT FIX THE CARS CAME UP FROUNT TO TALK TO ME ABOUT AND ALL THEY WOULD HAVE TO DO.HOW SAD.( IN THE MEAN TIME IAM PUTTING AT LEAST A QUART ARE A HALF A QUART OF OIL IN THE CAMRY BEFORE THE SCHEDLCE OIL CHANGE. SOMEBODY HELP ME

- Katherine J., Killeen, US

Aug 302017

Camry

Toyota issued a TSB for this "excessive oil consumption" problem. Owners were told to take their vehicles to dealers for a "test" to see how much oil was used in 1200 miles. If more than a quarter, Toyota would fix; if not, no fix.

I took the car for a test and just barely "passed", so the dealer said there was nothing they could do.

One year later the problem has gotten worse and oil consumption is going at an even faster rate. I called Toyota Customer service and they said (case #1708302982) that since the car is more than 10 years old, they no longer offer the TSB extended warranty protection if a car does not pass their test.

So, I'm stuck.

Unless Toyota relents and does an actual "recall" to fix this problem.

- Matthew R., Worcester, US

Jan 012016

Camry LE 2.4L

Have owned this Camry since new. This car started using oil after it was 4 years old. In the last 18 months it has started smoking after setting for a few hours and is very embarrassing. We never received a letter from Toyota in regards to the oil consumption issue test that was going on. I found out about the test on my own and had it done. It did pass their so called test. This car currently has 133,000 miles on it and Toyota is not willing to offer any help in anyway. In my opinion this car does not have the value it should with this problem and couldn't sell it with good conscientious as if it had no problems. Oooo what a feeling Toyota!!!

- M W., Gresham, OR, US

Oct 042016

Camry GE

1 QUART EVERY 1000 MILES I DRIVE AVERAGE 30000 MILES AYEAR

- Peter T., Powhatan, VA, US

Jun 012017

Camry LE 4 cyl

The engine is going through a quart about every 1000 miles. The mileage, for a Camry is moderate. Not sure what Toyota might do for repair. If they've known about the problem, it would have been appropriate to notify us and recommend a remedy. We've had a few Camrys and I like to think that they remain a reliable car.

- lrbwiner, Oak Park, US

May 302017

Camry XLE 4

Bought Toyota Camry xle about three months ago with barely 86,000 miles. Have since noticed we have to add quart of oil every 300-500 miles. This is ridicules in this day and age.

- Bob D., Norfolk, US

Feb 012017

Camry

We purchased the Camry from a private party here in town. We were not told of oil consumption. Sometime around the fall of 2016 we noticed the issue. Now it is 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, or more...The Toyota dealer had no idea. The local garages thought it perhaps was a leak. There was no information I could find, until in the first part of May 2017 I found the "warranty enhancement" 10years/150,000 miles. I immediately called my local dealer with the LSC and was told that my 10 years ran out on March 1 2017, less than 90 days prior. Now they seem to be more than happy to tell me all about this horrible issue I have and need to get fixed. Or, as I was told by the Service Manager -and I quote-"trade it in, and if you like the car, have a brother or son buy it back. then have the dealership fix it and it would be covered under the "lemon law"....

and Toyota HQ is absolutely NO HELP.

- Roger B., Bainbridge, NY, US

Oct 102014

Camry 4 cyl

yesterday I took the camry to Toyota, they had me pay for an oil change to test the excessive oil consumption on the engine. when I changed the spark plugs last week the 3rd cylinder plug in from the left was saturated with oil, so I looked up the recall info on this car and found that it has a problem with the piston ring engineering from the factory so I took it to have the test. I get pissed when they told me that other gaskets are leaking, making it sound like that is what they will blame it on when I bring it back after 1200 miles driven from yesterdays date.now I'm waiting. has anyone been through this process?

- Lou U., Orlando, FL, US