CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

8.5

2. replace the dashboard (17 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (6 reports)
  4. install dash cover (1 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 032015

Camry

I bought this car new and noticed the start of the dashboard problem years ago. It started with a slightly sticky feel to the surface texture, then noticing tiny cuts. The problem worsened with time, the surface texture is like clay dough and anything that touches it, leaves a mark or gouge. I've never experienced nor have I heard of this type of material breakdown until now. This is clearly a defect in the material, which affects the quality and value of the vehicle. I feel that there should be a manufacturer allowance to fairly compensate or replace the dashboard as a solution.

- Tina L., Pensacola, US

Jul 012019

Camry 4 CYL

Apparently Toyota and other car companies were using a new dashboard material which is unable to withstand the heat of the sun and humidity. The result is a sticky and defective dashboard that is prone to melting and obstructs your vision when driving. I have the 2009 Toyota Camry and the years involved are from 2007-2011. There is an extended warranty on the cars but this expired in May of 2019. I just purchased this car in May of this year and the seller did not disclose this to me. On top of this I also discovered that I have an issue (a really big one) with multiple failures (ABS and brake lights on, speedometer, RPM and temp gauge fail to register and are fixed at zero which results in the AC unit shutting off) when the dashboard panel completely fails. Used to love Toyota but not now.

- Sandra S., Simi Valley, Ca, US

Jan 012018

Camry LE 3.2L

There was a recall and I was not notified. It ended in May 2017.

- jeg030963, Leesburg, US

Jan 012014

Camry

The dashboard is melting and very tsicky. I didn't know other people have the same problem until I googled it just now. I have a terrible car for > 5 years and feel unhappy every day.

- Guilian X., Gainesville, FL, US

May 192019

Camry ES V6

click to see larger images

dashboard melting

Toyota is aware that they manufactured this car and others with a defective dashboard. They have already been sued for this. The melted dashboard causes a glare in the window making driving unsafe and people have been in accidents. Plus, the goey dashboard may cause the airbags to fail. Rather than recalling the defective cars and replacing the dashboards on all these cars, Toyota chose to offer a 10 year warranty. First of all, I never received notification of this warranty, but it would not have made any difference if I would have, because the problem occurred in my car 2 months after the 10 year warranty expired. Car brakes wear out, tires need replacing, dashboards are NOT SUPPOSE to melt! I imagine toyota expects the dashboards to melt in most cars after 10 years and this is why they offered a 10 year warranty. They can now profit from their own manufacturers defect.

- Cheryl T., Los Angeles, US

May 012019

Camry 2.4l4-cyl

How do I have this problem fixed? My dashboard is starting to melt. It has stayed in garage since new.

- Joann B., Pinellas Park, FL, US

Jul 112017

Camry SE 4 cyl

It's a hot mess. You can't roll the windows down because bugs adhere to the dash like fly paper. Trying to clean is worse. Everything sticks to it. The fibers off rag its AWFUL. Then the gooey stuff it gets on the windshield. It makes a reflective glare on the windshield make seeing in sunlight difficult at times. Can it be cleaned or replaced. Help!!!!!

- Lisa S., Summerville, US

Jul 082016

Camry SE 4cy

I didn’t know what was happening to the dash that I couldn’t clean it. I started coughing every time I got in the car. I started carrying cough drops in the center compartment and have to take one every time I get in the car.

- antongiovanni, Laguna Woods, US

Sep 012016

Camry LE 3.2L

Not only does it depreciate my cars value, it is a safety hazard in bright sun, there is a blinding glare, and it is ugly. I have two dogs and the hair sticks to my dashboard. I contacted Toyota, and the end of the warranty on my car was April 2018. I never received any letter concerning this warranty extension!

- Bari E., Paris, TX, US

Jan 012016

Camry LE 3.2L V6

Everything sticks to the dashboard. Dust covers the dashboard and I can't get it off. Now, recently, its been so shiny that I can't see the road. I can't drive in this condition. I tried cleaning with different solution and the black stuff keeps getting everywhere. Its like a science experiment gone wrong!

- Kitty P., Whittier, CA, US

Sep 022017

Camry LE 2.4L

The dash on my 2009 Camry feels like glue whenever the dash is exposed to the sun. I just did a google search to see how much a repair would be and found that Toyota extended the warranty for this problem. The issue I have with Toyota is that they never notified me of the problem or warranty extension. When I called Toyota they said the warranty has expired and there is nothing they can do to help. I have seen several other complaints of not being notified, their must be something Toyota can do to fix this problem. If not this will be the last Toyota I ever purchase, this is my 5th Toyota.

- Don C., San Clemente, US

Oct 052011

Camry LS 4 cyl

We purchased this vehicle 3/13/2009. It had been used by dealership for 6 months. We financed with TMC. We regularly brought the vehicle in for oil changes and tire rotations. We told the dealership several times about the dash melting, and the technician even put his hand on dash & felt the stickiness. We were told they did not have anything they can do about it, and it was new to them. We first told them of the problem in 2011, and continued telling them till 2013. Now, when I called recall center, I was told there was a recall on this, but we were not notified. The case number is 1808201119. Mr. Randle said that since it was 2 months after the recall ended, it could not be done. We notified Toyota many years ago. It is not our fault that the technician was not aware of the recall, or warranty. We had no way of knowing to bring it back in for that same problem, since we were already told nothing could be done. Toyota should honor this warranty or recall and take care of the dash. We notified them well ahead of time. The dash is horrible, even though the car runs fairly well. There are bugs stuck to the dash and we cannot get it cleaned (we have tried everything) I want the dealership or Toyota to correct this. I called today about another recall, and complained again about the dash, that is the first time I was notified of any correction available. I do not want to have to make any more complaints. This is my 3rd Toyota, and I would like to continue doing business with Toyota, but do not feel I can unless this problem is resolved. Thank You. Deborah Moore

- Deborah M., Arlington, US

Apr 012018

Camry

So annoying and the glare was blinding. The dash was so sticky until it was nasty to the truck.. My hand would literally stick to the dash from the heat. Purchased a dash cover to kill the glare and not have to touch the sticky goo feel.

- Jennifer R., Durham, US

Apr 272017

Camry LE 4 cyl

My dash looks like a lint ball since I am unable to clean it or touch it really. Plus it is causing glare and I already have bad eye sight. Want it fixed/replaced immediately. I filed a Case with Toyota over a year ago with no results. Case No. 1704270307. I went to my local dealership which was a joke. They have a horrible reputation and to date I have heard nothing from them.

- Sharon P., Forest, VA, US

Nov 092016

Camry EX 3.2L

I bought this Camry in 2011, love the car no problems. I noticed about 1 or 2 years ago that my dash was melting. MELTING, who ever heard of any such thing. I tried to put the mothers polish on it, nope didn't work. Nothing is going to fix this dash.

I want to know why my dash is melting. If this was a recall, why did I not get a notice. I would like for the Toyota Company to fix this problem for me. I do not have the money to do that. I will probably never buy another Toyota because of this.

I can certainly say I only put gas in the car and changed the oil every 3000 miles and is runs perfectly. I just wish Toyota would make this good. Thanks.

- Jody S., Madison, GA, US

Sep 232017

Camry XLE 2.4lV4

I was at the TOYOTA dealer 6 months ago and they told me that the dashboard wasn’t that bad. And now I went to the dealer and they said that my 10 year warranty expired 26 days ago.

- Justo M., Naples, US

Jan 102016

Camry

This is annoying, the dashboard melts in heat, not sure if Camry going to fix it

- Saji M., Lakeland, US

Dec 012014

Camry XLE V6

Dash is slowly melting away. Sticky, gooey, and has a shiny finish that causes reflection when looking through the windshield.

- John M., Bakersfield, US

Sep 012015

Camry LX 3.2L

I received a notice from Toyota about this issue and the notice indicated we would be notified when the solution was available, I have been patiently waiting and this melting issue is creating terrible glare from the shininess of the melting dash that is bothersome and poses a potential hazard to driving. Toyota what is the deal you know about this and you should have fixed it by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- opie176, Tye, US

Sep 162016

Camry XLS 3.2L

Dashboard is so sticky need it replaced,toyota motor must recall this model for replacement

- arrieta, Anaheim Ca, US