ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2012 Toyota Camry transmission problems: transmission failure

Transmission Failure

2012 Toyota Camry

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

7.0

$5,900

2. replace transmission (4 reports)
2012 Toyota Camry transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Camry:

2012 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Dec 042016

Camry SE 2.5L

Ok I can't understand why my transmission has gone already. It only has 64,000 mile on it and yes, I bought the car used but the transmission should not have gone out. The dealership told me that In Jan 2016 I took it for a oil change and they did a recall on a sensor of something then so I need to know if Toyota had a lot of problems with year model transmission because this is a expensive fix.

- Tuwanna M., Macon, GA, US

Jun 062016

Camry LE 4.0L V6

This year model 2012 has more recalls and problems than any car I have ever owned. (period)

- Linda R., Redwood, MS, USA

Nov 202014

Camry SE 2.5L

After I bring my Camry for a recall that Toyoya sent a letter to me about, speed accelerator needed to be replaced. So I took it to Folsom Lake Toyota and had them work on it for a day. Had to pick it up the next day and the guy from Toyota said if I have any problem with the new part that they just installed, bring the car back and they will take of it.

Drove the car for a week, something was off. I knew my car was faster then this, I told myself. I keep on driving the car two months later that problem is getting worse. When I get on the freeway my car doesn't pick up speed. I had cars trying to avoid me beeping horn and following close trying do road rage because it seemed like I was going to cause an accident by not entering the freeway right or not with the right speed.

I will never in my life buy a Toyota ever again. I'm going with Acura. I just bought a to Toyota because it holds it value. Beside that, it's a piece of sh*t.

- htn822, Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 052014

Camry

First off, let me say that I love Toyota but my problem started with my 2012 Toyota Camry. At approximate 25- 40 the car seem to just stalls and has no power. God forbid if I have to pass someone because I will be stuck like chuck. I took it to the dealership and what a run around. First the company wants to charge you a fee for test driving the vehicle after you tell them exactly whats wrong, only to find out you need a transmission. This problem will cause lives if not attend to because I was told just to scroll on and it will be looked at on a later date. As of right now, still no service. Bad business.....bad business....bad business

- Larry D., Natchez, MS, USA

Nov 212014

Camry XLE

2012 Camry stalls when you suddenly accelerate during passing, which is dangerous and could cause a collision. This might happen during passing on a 2-lane road and another vehicle suddenly appears ahead of you in the on-coming lane, leaving you in a precarious situation.

- S C., Augusta, GA, USA

Oct 032014

Camry LE V6

I own a 2012 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 25-40 mph, the vehicle begins jerking abnormally and hesitates to shift into 2nd gear. I took the vehicle to the dealer, informed them that the transmission failed and needed to be attended to. But they said there was a charge just to test it which I felt should not be a charge. The failure mileage was approximately 35,000. The current mileage is approximately 61,111.

Please advise me of what steps I need to take next?

- Carrington R., Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 122012

Camry SE 4 cyl

Transmission had a dent in transmission pan noticed at oil change. Service tec told me it didn't matter if dent caused any damage Toyota wouldn't pay for it. Not a very good start. Trans worked fine, Toyota removes pan and claims I need new transmission. They did a computer scan and there was no problems, didn't matter cost my insurance 5900. Rember my trans worked find it only made a low wine. I heard a new Camry being driven out of shop making the same sound as mine. Was told by aquaintce they had to replace there 2012 Camry trans also. Watch out for trans problems on camrys. Toyota evendently looks for any excuse not to honor warranty. I contacted Toyota and was told they would contact me in few days, I haven't heard from yet. My advice is, if you buy a Toyota have the dealer put the car on lift and inspect the underneath of car for any kind of damage because Toyota will not honor warranty

- stphnjohnston, Cottonwood, CA, USA

Nov 302012

Camry SE V6

The first time I experienced an issue I was at the car wash waiting in line with the car in drive and my foot on the brake. When it was my turn to go I took my foot off the brake and pressed the gas to go, and the car rolled back and would not drive until I put the car in park twice. A few days later on the way to work I reversed out of the space, put the car in drive and pressed on the gas the car did not go forward for about 3 seconds and eventually jerked forward and started to go. After I got out of work the same day, I got in the car put the car in reverse to back out of space to go home and the car would not reverse. In fact, instead of reversing the car actually moved forward. After trying for a while I eventually called Toyotacare for a tow to the dealership. The car has 600 miles and will be receiving a new transmission.

- gcnj, Montclair, NJ, USA