ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.4

$25,000

2013 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Camry:

2013 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Sep 102017

Camry SE 2.5L

On Sept 10th 2017 I was going to visit someone in the hospital. I entered the parking garage, and proceeded up the 2nd floor of the structure. I found a parking spot, and I began to enter the spot. With my foot on the brake, and proceeding slowly, my car took off at a high rate of speed, all by itself. I accelerated forward, and slammed into the baring wall in front of me. The engine was still racing, and the tires were still spinning, while I was crashed into the wall. I was slamming on the brake so hard to try and get the engine and tires to stop, that I broke 2 bones in my foot. The only way I could get the car to stop was to throw it in park. Needless to say, the front end was smashed, the airbags went off. My chest is extremely sore and bruised and my foot is broken in 2 places. I am currently speaking back and forth with toyota, waiting to see what they will do to try and fix this situation. If they offer no remedy, I will be seeking legal action.

- Pamela B., Prospect Park, US

Oct 012013

Camry SE 2.5L I4

My 2013 Camry SE has shown slightly unintended acceleration (surge) right after releasing gas pedal to require harsh braking frequently since new.

Update from Sep 2, 2017: I think it's just the way the car's ECU takes a second to respond when accelerating and letting off. I just adjusted my driving habits and have learned how to drive with it, still seems to be a bit of a flaw. It felt to me like an intentional holding of the throttle by the ECU to keep high RPM just a bit longer than usual. It could be the drive by wire issue. I reported it to my dealer a while back, they did some updates but it is still the same.

- Peixiong Y., Gaithersburg, MD, US

Feb 262015

Camry SE 4 cyl

I WAS PULLING INTO MY GARAGE, FOOT ON THE BREAK, WITHIN A FOOT OR TWO OF STOPPING WHEN MY 2013 CAMRY SUDDENLY ACCELERATED FORWARD. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS SHOCKED FEELING MY CAR ACCELERATING WHILE I WAS SLAMMING MY FOOT ON THE BREAK!! I RAMMED INTO SOME SHELVES AT THE BACK OF THE GARAGE SMASHING MY GRILL AND THE SHELVES. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. THE CAR WAS STILL ACCELERATING WHEN I HIT THE BACK OF THE GARAGE EVEN THOUGH I WAS BREAKING AS FORCEFULLY AS I COULD. THANKFULLY THE CAR ONLY TRAVELED THREE OR FOUR FEET OTHERWISE I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE GONE THRU THE BACK OF THE GARAGE. WHAT IF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED AT AN INTERSECTION?

AFTERWARDS I WAS IN A STATE OF SHOCK AND DISBELIEF. MY CAR COMPLETELY FAILED ME AND OUT OF THE BLUE MY PEACE OF MIND WAS SHATTERED. I WAS THE UNLIKELY VICTIM OF "UNINTENDED ACCELERATION". WHAT ON EARTH WENT WAS WRONG WITH MY CAR? I HAVE TO SAY I FELT SOMEHOW BETRAYED OR VIOLATED AND I NO LONGER TRUSTED THIS CAR. THERE WAS ONE VARIABLE - TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE "UNINTENDED ACCELERATION" I HAD MY 20,000 MILE CHECK UP AND THEY PERFORMED A FACTORY RECALL FOR AN ACCELERATION LAG AND DID SOMETHING WITH THE CAR'S COMPUTER SOFTWARE. EVER SINCE THIS "FIX" MY MILEAGE WENT WAY DOWN. I USED TO GET 34 - 35 MPG ON THE HIGHWAY AND I NOW GET 21 -22 MPG ON THE HIGHWAY. AND NOW MY CAR ACCELERATED WHILE I AM BRAKING??

IT GETS EVEN BETTER. I CONTACT THE TOYOTA DEALERSHIP WHERE I BOUGHT THE CAMRY WHICH IS STILL UNDER FULL WARRANTY AND THEY TELL ME THE MILEAGE DECREASE IS DUE TO THE COLD WINTER ?? AND THAT I NEED TO DEAL WITH CORPORATE TOYOTA ABOUT THE UNINTENDED ACCELERATION ISSUE. WELL THREE WEEKS LATTER, NUMEROUS PHONE CALLS LATER, AND LOTS OF BS AND RUNAROUND THE ARE FINALLY GOING TO INSPECT THE CAMRY'S COMPUTER IN ANOTHER WEEK.

SO HERE I AM WITH A DAMAGED CAMRY SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY AS I DO NOT TRUST THIS CAR ENOUGH TO DRIVE IT. I HAVE SO FAR GOTTEN NOTHING BUT PUT OFF BY TOYOTA WITH EMPTY PROMISES AND APOLOGIES OF "I'M SORRY" AND THEY'RE GOING TO..... I COULDN'T BE MORE DISAPPOINTED WITH TOYOTA AND I AM VERY UPSET. I THOUGHT TOYOTA HAD FIXED THESE "UNINTENDED ACCELERATION" PROBLEMS AND LEARNED THEIR LESSON AFTER THE 1.2 BILLION DOLLAR LAWSUIT THAT WAS JUST SETTLED IN 2013 AGAINST TOYOTA.

I AM STILL HOPEFUL THAT TOYOTA WILL MAKE THIS RIGHT BUT I AM NOT ENCOURAGED BY THEIR ACTIONS THUS FAR. I USED TO BE A FAN OF TOYOTA HAVING OWNED THREE OF THEM BUT I NO LONGER FEEL THAT WAY . PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE IS HAVING ANY PROBLEMS WITH TOYOTA MOTORS, COMPUTERS, TRANSMISSIONS., OR ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS.

- Philip P., Montague, MI, USA

Oct 172014

Camry

On October 17, 2014, with my 15-year-old daughter in my 2013 Camry, I put my car into reverse from my parking space at in the northeast corner (facing the east wall) of a parking garage in Los Angeles; of course, shifting gears out of park requires that I depress the brake. Releasing the brake, I began turning the rear of my car to the north wall when the car suddenly accelerated and slammed hard into the northern wall. In disbelief, and concerned about what had happened to the rear of the car, I shifted into drive to look at the back. However, the car suddenly accelerated into the eastern wall at a high rate of speed. I drove about 10 feet, and may have accelerated to 25 mph.The driver-side air bag deployed. Beyond a few mild bruises on my calf, and my daughter’s experiencing pain in her knees, we were unhurt; we both had our seat belts on.

- Nicholas R., Burbank, CA, USA

Apr 272014

Camry SE

As I turned my car into a parking spot (with both hands on the wheel at the time) my window wipers started going like crazy and as I put on the brake the car accelerated - surging over the huge curb (it's one foot or more because it's on the edge of a huge drop off) and smashed into a light pole. I was jamming the brake as hard as I could and it only ever accelerated. The car was 7 months old. Thank God my baby wasn't in the car at the time and only me.

- Jessica K., Aurora, IL, USA