ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.1

2018 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Toyota Camry:

2018 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Sep 212018

Camry

Hi I recently purchased a 2018 Toyota Camry in September with 7,000 miles on it and now it has almost 8,000 miles on it. After 1 week of purchase I am having some problems especially with the engine and transmission. Engine because I am feeling a lose of power when accelerating and not smooth when driving also it is noisy when you start the car. Also when at a full stop I can feel the vehicle shake and when you put your foot on the gas pedal and drive at 20 mph you can feel the pedal shake. Transmission because I can feel the transmission jerking and when you put it on drive it doesn't feel like you are on drive it feels like you are on neutral driving because of how rough it is when you accelerate. I also went to the dealer for this matter but they couldn't do anything. Please help me because I am very frustrated with Toyota because many of my family members have Toyota and they never had this issue. The car is good but the lack of performance has disappointed me because Toyota have a great reputation and now they are just giving that all up just to save money on fixing this issue that's what I feel that they are doing. Thats why I am disappointed with Toyota and there engineering because I feel that they put in too much for the redesigned part but not the performance part.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Jun 122018

Camry

"takata recall". I bought brand new Toyota Camry SE 2018 from the Toyota dealer for taxi in New York city. I drive in New York city and sometime go to out of town up to 150 miles. On my first 10000 miles maintenance, I told the dealer that when I drive, car jerking/breaking the speed or say hesitation after drive few miles. I feel suddenly the speed start is jerking/breaking the speed for few seconds and then come back in regular speed. Even my leg is at the accelerate continues. On my complaint, the dealer technic drove the car and he reported that at present time he did not find any problem. I think, he lied. I did reported to Toyota and they open the case. They going to check on my next maintenance. Because of jerking/breaking or say hesitation, I feel might car suddenly stop in highway or any where. I drove over 1500 different cars in last over 33 years in my life and never see this kind of problem in past. I do see Toyota Camry 2018 have lot of new feature and use new technique but somehow this jerking/breaking or say hesitations during driving in any speed not good. Need to investigate and found why this happened.

- Fresh Meadows, NY, USA

Dec 302017

Camry

The contact owns a 2018 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration, even when the accelerator pedal was not depressed. There was also a lack of acceleration when attempting to merge, abnormal shifting, and the vehicle stalled. In addition, the odor of anti-freeze filled up the cabin. The failures occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to Toyota grand rapids (located at 2555 28th St SE, grand rapids, mi) where the failures were confirmed, but could not be remedied. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 250.

- Comstock Park, MI, USA

Dec 302017

Camry

The contact owns a 2018 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle surged forward and accelerated independently without depressing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle then decelerated and the contact depressed the brake pedal to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. In addition, the vehicle stalled as the motor revved. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to Toyota of grand rapids (2555 28th St SE, grand rapids, mi 49512, (877) 703-5930) where it was diagnosed that a new software program update was needed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not assist. The approximate failure mileage was 275.

- Comstock Park, MI, USA

May 232018

Camry

I've had this 2018 Toyota Camry since May 23, 2018 & I noticed not even a week later that this car has a problem accelerating. I contacted the salesman, the service manager, & the sales manager & they all been giving me the run around. The service manager told me my car was sluggish, but told the customer service rep they couldn't find anything wrong when they put the car on the machine which is a lie. I literally have to mash the gas down hard and pray it goes. There's definitely something wrong with this transmission & they way it accelerates. At this moment it seems as if they don't care. I'm really stressed & dissatisfied about how they are handling this.

- Greenwood, SC, USA

Jul 192018

Camry

After taking delivery of the vehicle I noticed that the vehicle accelerates very poor and when the vehicle was set on cruise control it would drop speed for no reason.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 012018

Camry

4-cylinder xse has significant acceleration delay after depressing the pedal; this is especially apparent when accelerating from a rolling stop at approximately 15-25 mph. Occasionally, the gear will also shift abruptly when accelerating from 15-25 mph, causing the car to lurch forward suddenly. This is dangerous; if there is a car in front of you, there is a high chance of causing a rear end accident.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Jun 012018

Camry

The car has acceleration/speed problems. It takes too long to accelerate when changing lanes, passing other vehicle, or entering freeway. This issue is going on all and every time I drive it. I purchased the car one month ago. This is my 5th Camry and I never had this problem. Car is unsafe and im scared to drive. Toyota, do something before someone dies!!!!!!!!!!. I almost got rear-ended couple of times

- Montebello, CA, USA

Dec 312017

Camry

When the car in the low speed around 20 miles/hour and the engine around 2000rpm, the transmission is wired trying to find specified gear, make the car speed increased and decreased, it like jerk the car. Another problem is when you trying to speed up catch up cars speed from lower speed on highway, press the gas pedal, the car just like thinking the life philosophy the RPM reach 4000 the car suddenly speed up.

- Troy, MI, USA

May 012018

Camry

The 2018 Toyota Camry is having a problem shifting and allowing the car to increase speed. The car constantly jerks when you try to move and sometimes when you¿re sitting it still jerks. It's like the transmission is missing a shift or something.

- Mount Holly, VA, USA

Mar 232018

Camry

Car is hesitating/sluggish when accelerating from a stop/rolling stop. Takes forever to get to highway speeds, which is extremely dangerous. When there is traffic on a highway, changing lanes into a lane in which traffic is going faster is extremely hard due to fear being rear-ended. Car struggles to get from 0-45 and will only do so when the accelerator is stepped down all the way. Transmission shifts are very jerky. Seems like the transmission doesn¿T know what gear to be in 90% of the time. All these symptoms appear to be in only the 4 cylinder model of the 2018 Camry.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

May 042018

Camry

Water going to engine bay when driving in raining weather.

- Arlington, TX, USA