CarComplaints.com Notes: Well, it's not a 2002, so it's got that going for it.

4.0

2000 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Explorer:

2000 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Oct 012010

Explorer LXT 4.0L

It's my wife's car, so I don't get to drive it much. I finally did a good drive/listen, and determined the tranny as the source. I DO have a dip stick, thankfully, but it seems that a fair amount of the leakage is taking place in that area-as if it doesn't fit well or something. So far, it "only" mis-behaves sometimes, and we have been driving fine. The fluid is clean, and having read another post, I don't plan on changing it, which can induce trouble due to "setting up" from age. I'm looking at replacing the tranny and/or torque converter, which has been ID'd as a trouble area.

Question: Does anyone recommend a rebuild over a rebuilt? JEGS over rebuild?

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 012008

Explorer V6 4.0L Ohv

My car has a loud dinging that sounds like metal on metal but im not sure if its the tranny or the rear dif. I don't know i checked all my fluids they looked good. but im not sure Please help if you have any ideas i don't got the money to go to a shop right now but i will if i have to

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA