CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

8.0

$2,499.00

1. recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (187 reports)
  2. replace transmission (50 reports)
  4. replaced transmission (32 reports)
  5. replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
  6. Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 12 of 18)

Feb 012009

Accord LX 4 Cy

I purchased Honda because of the long lasting reputation. When the problem with the transmission began I called Honda Canada and they told me it was not under warranty. This, of course I understood. However, they went on to tell me that they had no other complaints about this problem. Don t bullsh..t me Honda this IS a manufacturers default and should be recalled . Guess what my next car will not be!!! and, you just bought yourself a whole boatload of bad advertising.

- , Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada

Feb 102009

Accord EX

Had to replace my transmission on my 2002 Accord with only 82000 miles on it! Was shocked when this happened. Thank God it was under warranty still.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 282009

Accord EX 4 cyl

When I first noticed the transmission problem my car had about 75,000 miles on it and the service dept at Honda said it was supposed to do that. I of course after that didn't think about it. There should have been a recall on these transmissions, Honda took the easy way out and just ignored it. My next car will not be a Honda. Now i'm out 2,200 dollars plus rental car fees. I guess i'll just keep the car and hope nothing else happens.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 012008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

In 2004, I purchased a 2002 Honda Accord EX w/ 40k miles for about $26k. Yeah...I was a dumb first time buyer that bought every warranty the dealership had offered including a 100k mile/5 years extended warranty for my transmission. After about 1 and a half years later and @ 101,000 my vehicle that I though was reliable and gonna last me forever started having problems.At first TCS was turning on/off, then the one day while I put the car in reverse the D4 light was still blinking. I had noticed the car hesitating whenever I would like off, so finally I took it into the dealership and a diagnostic test.They told me I needed to replace my transmission and it would cost $2883.I was like no big deal because I had a warranty.But later on they told me that my warranty is exhausted. I was upset and didn't understand why so I spoke to the accounts manager that originally sold me the warranty and she told me the same thing.She said that the warranty expires at 100k odometer miles, not at 100k added on from the time I bought it.I was really pissed off. Why would I paid for a $2k for 100k warranty that only lasted me 60k miles?That's stupid.I wasn't satisfied and tied talking to another account manager and same response.They freakin' riped me off and would not pay for the repairs so, that's the last time I buy from HONDA.

- , Olivehusrt, CA, USA

Feb 202009

Accord EX V6 3.0L

Lord help us all. Never thought I would see the day that a Honda would fell. Well my story started in Sept 08. I went to the dealership because the lights on the dash started to go crazy. It took the service rep about 30 minutes to return and tell me I need a transmission and that it would cost me $2800. I informed that he was crazy in his @$$ if I would pay that much for a transmission. I was told that I was no longer covered under the warranty. I asked what was the reason for me paying for it all of those years. He proceeded to apologize. He told me that I should get it fixed quick because it could fail me any day. The car did not seem to ride any different when I left him standing there.

I then went to Aamco and asked them too check my transmission. Their result were that the car is fine. It has a slight jerk that is normal for this year of the car. And told me to drive it til the engine fell out. I thanked them and drove off.

Well Well Well. It is now Feb 09 and I have NO transmission. What am I to do? First I will take the car back to the Honda dealership and see if the price quote changes (cheaper and yes I'm praying). If not I might have to invest in a BETTER car not a Honda. I am sick with this and disappointed. Especially since I maintained all of the scheduled services. Those warranties are just to get your money because when you need them they have expired.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 172009

Accord EX 3.2L V6

I have always been a huge honda fan, of the 5 cars I've owned, 4 have been hondas. It was always my impression that honda stood behind their cars, and the parts they put in them. I have recently discovered, like many other on here that this is not the case.

I bought an 02 V6 accord 3000 miles ago, (it was a replacement for my 01 accord that ended its long life in a auto accident) The car was inspected and sold running fine (it had documented regular maintenance and one previous owner (carfax), a week ago I started to notice a small slipping when shifting into lower gear, at which point I looked up any transmission issues and found this site as well as a site detailing the recall of the 98 to 01 accords. This is where some panic set in, and I called honda, and they told me to get the car inspected, and set up a case. So I did.

I took the car into honda and they told me that nothing was showing up (no diagnostic errors) but they would test drive it. Then they came back from the test drive and told me the transmission was definitely failing and strongly suggested I look into getting it replaced ($3600). They told me to call honda and see if they would issue goodwill credit. So I did that. Then I got the call back.

An agent named Charles called me back and told me that since I was not the original owner and did not buy it from honda there was nothing they could do, when pressed he said there was nothing he would do. I asked why this was not included in the 2001 recall, were the parts different (I have had several mechanics tell me the transmissions are identical to the ones with the extended warranty) and he said he couldn't say. I had a long and in the end meaningless discussion with Charles, and then hung up. When I called back to talk to someone else (apparently Charles who sounded under 21, is the end-all-be-all voice of honda, you can not talk to a case workers supervisor, you're just not that special) the agent told me that the reason honda warranties the 01 transmission to 109000 miles is because they are known to have a defect, but if you have an 02 that goes out before 90000 miles its because you drive it too hard.

Sorry for the long ramble, I really just don't get this. Honda why would you extend a 01 transmission warranty to 7 years and 109,000 miles, and it not matter who the original owner is or where they bought it, but if the transmission involved is a 02 then its not covered and every detail is an issue. If I was the original owner honda would not make a claim that I drove the car rough, but if the transmission has an internal error on the second owner, then something must be criminal??? Seriously, I hate to say it but I wont be buying a honda again, and I love my car, even my messed up 02 with the horrible transmission. Honda you're being a weasel here, I always expected so much more...

...I am price shopping a transmission outside of honda, but if anyone has suggestions for me, including having honda make good, please message me.

- , Placentia, CA, USA

Feb 112009

Accord LX V6

This is so ridiculous, I purchased this car brand new and at 64,000 I have transmission problems. This really sucks. I have a Code 40-01. Torque Converter Clutch. Does this make any sense to anyone. This should be Honda's problem

- , Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Feb 012008

Accord V4

Honda extended the warranty for the 2001 Honda Accord for 7 years/100K miles but did not include the 2002 models although a lot of owners are experiencing the same transmission problems.

- , 1831 North Kenwood Street, CA, USA

Feb 032009

Accord EX Coupe 3.0L V6

So I bought this car two years ago for $17,000 and I thought it was completely worth it. I'd always been told that Nissans, Hondas, and Toyotas were the best cars to purchase. Well, obviously not.

I was driving my vehicle one day and it just jerked violently. At that point D4 began to flash, TCS lit up, and Check Engine lit up. I immediately went to my nearest Honda dealer to tell them about the problem.

They then told me I needed to purchase a new transmission for $2800.00 plus tax. I think it's completely stupid for something like this to happen to a 2002 vehicle!!!! Never buy a Honda....EVER!!

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 182007

Accord SE 4 cyl

So I know I not the first and definitely not going to be the last I just wish Honda would admit their problem instead of loosing customers by saying that since people haven't fixed every little problem at a Honda dealership that they don't cover the problem. Well lets be honest....there are several hundreds probably thousands of people that have bought a 99-02 Honda Accord V6 or 4-cyl that expected this car to last and the sad fact is it didn't because we drive down the road with the transmission slipping everyday and it's too expensive to say sure I'll just shell out close to $3,000 to fix it...or I could make that a down payment on a new car. Which could have been another Honda except I'll probably never buy another Honda again or recommend another Honda again to anyone because of the fact they don't want to admit fault on four years of faulty transmissions and potentially more than that.

SO HONDA YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE NOTICE OF THE MORE THAN 100 COMPLAINTS ON THIS ONE WEBSITE ALONE. THEY SAY FOR EVERY ONE COMPLAINT THERE IS AT LEAST 3-4 THAT DIDN'T COMPLAIN. NOT LOOKING GOOD HONDA.

- , Clarksville, TN, USA

Dec 122008

Accord L 3.0L V6

I bought this car in Dec, 07 for my daughter who is in college. I have driven Honda's before and have heard a lot of talk about there reliability, which I think is true. This car is fully loaded and runs great. On Dec 12th, the "check engine light" came on. I had a mechanic friend run the diagnostic and he got P070 (I think), said it was transmission related and told me he heard that Honda was covering some problems on extended warranties. He sent me to the Honda dealership, where they searched for any warranties (they reported none) and printed out some paperwork for me to take to another mechanic friend who had transmission training and experience. He felt the trouble might be solenoids so he replaced three. The light went out, but after test driving he reported that the transmission continued to "jerk" when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. He suggested I return to Honda and have them do a diagnostic, which I did. They reported an "hydraulic pressure" problem causing the "jerking" and offered to fix for "only" $2600.00. Of course I took the car home (which is shifting as smooth as silk - I have never actually felt any jerking to speak of) and began to do research on the net. I called Honda Relations and had them run the VIN. They also reported no recalls or warranties related to the 02 transmission (although I have learned of extended warranties for some 2000-01 and 04-05's). I am taking back to my mechanic tomorrow and asking him to drive me around and point out the supposed problem. I trust my mechanic friends - they are as confused as I am. Most people are suggesting I drive it until I feel a problem - may take their advice but don't want to do unnecessary harm. Not sure what I will do. ALSO: Since I have had to unhook the battery, the radio locked up and is asking for a code (Honda radio). Honda Relations told me I would find a serial number or code in the glove box, but can't seem to find anything. Honda dealer offered to pull the radio out and read the serial number on the back for $40.00. Anybody know a cheaper fix?

BTW - "Check engine light" came on once a couple of months after I bought the car. Diagnostic pointed to problem with gas tank (don't recall the code). I remembered reading about problem with gas cap. I simply took it off and put it back on -no light since!

Wish every fix could be as easy and cheap!

- , Coffee Springs, AL, USA

Dec 252008

Accord SE 2.3L, 4 cyl

I have a 2002 Honda Accord. I took my car to the Honda Service Center after experiencing some jerking with a cold engine and found out the transmission needed to be replaced. I was told that it would cost me $3200.00 + taxes to replace the transmission. After reading all the complaints about this make and model, I called corporate and was told that the warranty was no longer effective and there was nothing they could do about it. I spoke with a case manager by the name of SIMON NG, who gave some bull about if you don't have documentation on the maintenance with the previous owner, then you can't prove that the service was maintained. I let him know that given all the complaints on the transmission for this car, a recall should have been issued, but still he refused to correct the issue. I'll advise everyone not to buy a Honda, because you may get stuck!!!

- , Kinston, NC, USA

Aug 182005

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I had slipping problem with my transmission in 2005. I searched online and found out many Honda owners had same problem. I called Honda America, but they didn't give a sh*t about it. I ended up paying $2,200 out of my own pocket to a Honda dealer to have the transmission fixed. The dealer didn't do a good job, they didn't replace the transmission(with that much $, I thought they would replace it with a used one at least), instead they took the worn parts out of the transmission and replaced them with new parts (this is the story they told me). As soon as I got my car back, I went back to see them the next day. Somehow the new parts reduced the slipping problem a bit, but problem didn't go away, transmission still slipped. I'm still driving my Accord and suffering the slipping problem every day.This is my first Honda and will be the last one, and I'm telling my friends not to buy Honda (all models) because obviously Honda has huge technical problems with their transmissions and I don't want my friends going through all the hard time that I had. To car buyers: HONDA's reputation is not as good as you think, so research more before you commit to it!

- , New York, NY, USA

Dec 272008

Accord EX 2.4L

I bought this car from a used car seller. When he sold this car to me, he said everything is OK and I needn't to check it. Thus I bought it with a high price at 89K miles.Four months later, the transmission begins to slip, with code P0730 and P1751. During the highway back home, we have to drive at 30-40mph. It's very dangerous for us. Luckily, all other cars speed up us as we let the urgent light on. Thanks Gosh. When the report was given by one dealer, he said we should pay about 3000 $ to change a rebuilt transmission. We were very angry. When we asked whether this transmission should be recalled by Honda. He said No. When we give the report to the used car boss, he said we may pay 2500$ to change a used transmission. What should I do? I think if I change a used transmission, and it may fail in one or less than one year. There is no warranty for the part. If I sold this car to the boss, he decrease 4000$ to buy it. I think Honda should recall the transmission or at least half price the transmission. I hate Honda and will never buy Honda car, and Japan cars. Who can give me a good suggestion, I should pay another 2500$ or sell it with 4000$ loss. Damed.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jan 022009

Accord EX-L V6

In July, had the car to Honda for the ABS light coming on. Upon receipt of the car, received a bill for over $6000 for new transmission, mounts, radiator, battery, etc, you name it, it was listed. When speaking with service manager, I said, "Do I need all this-the car drives fine?" I was told "not now, but very soon. You might as well do a new trans now or buy a new car." I was driving all summer and all fall with car...no problems. Check engine light came on week before Christmas (of course-the mo$t wonderful time of the year)-MY mechanic recommended AAMCO-again, car has no problems. They ran diagnostics and long story short-he replaced 4 Solenoids with the hope that would cure this check engine light. AAMCO said it may fix it, it may not. Again, no problems driving. Check engine light came on again New Year's Day. AAMCO again, ran diagnostics and now the Shift Malfunction code was coming on again. They cleared it and recommended to drive the car, but to be mindful of any problems. Found this website, thank god! and will be contacting Honda prior to any problems to see what they can do for me. Outside of the check engine light, the car has had no other problems and I really have no reason to look for something else. Will keep you posted if anything changes (cross your fingers it won't).

- , Nutley, NJ, USA

Dec 022008

Accord SE 4 cyl

I have a 2002 Honda Accord SE 4cyl. I have to admit, since I purchased the car there were no real issues, just routine maintenance (as expected). But lately I have been hearing a loud "humming" sound and my "check engine" light has been coming on. I took it to MY mechanic who diagnosed the problem and told me I needed a new bearing on the front drivers side a catalytic converter (that is why the check engine light was on). This was all repaired in October of 2008. Now, two months later, I noticed that the "check engine" light was on again (there was also some rattling in the front end, (come on I have over 120k miles on it)). I replaced from stabilizer bars and struts and the mechanic told me that the check engine light now revealed a transmission problem. He did a quick once over, and found nothing visibly wrong and he reset the light. Now, three days later the check engine light is on again, I called my mechanic and he told me to bring in the car and make sure it was the same transmission code. If so, he told me that it is common for the solenoid to go bad and also the EVAP solenoid, especially in states that use salt during the winter. The car, as stated before, has had all the required maintenance (oil changes, timing belt......) I really cannot complain, especially with the amount of miles (123k) and years of reliable service. HOWEVER, seeing that all proper maintenance was completed, and the fact that I absolutely love the new accords and want to get one, I also would like Honda to assist me in any transmission repairs that I will eventually have to deal with or I too, will switch to another brand.

- , Euclid, OH, USA

Dec 012008

Accord SE 4 cyl

Well, I took my car to the Honda Service Center after experiencing some jerking with a cold engine and found out today the transmission needed to be replaced. I just wanted to thank everyone who posted their comments because I was able to ask for the Goodwill Discount up front which reduced the cost by 50%. This does not justify the issue, especially since this is a well known problem which Honda should acknowledge and respond with a recall. Otherwise, why are they willing to give a 50% discount on the repair? I was a big supporter of Honda and unfortunately we will no longer purchase another Honda automobile. I understand cars are not perfect and even Honda can have challenges with their autos, but to have this happen at 86,000 miles is not acceptable and I can no longer continue to be brand loyal. I would have purchased a Honda for the rest of my life......Toyota, here I come!!!

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 122008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I bought my Honda Accord in January 2004 from the dealer, and it was slightly used at that point in time. It had only had one owner, and there were barely 8,000 miles on the car when I drove it off the lot. Since then, I have not experienced many problems with the car...until now.

Last week Friday, the check engine light went on. With 73,000+ miles on the car, I had been meaning to take it in for the mileage milestone check-up, and since the engine light went on, I figured now was as good a time as any. Then, I received the phone call that the diagnostic test had detected the transmission was the problem causing the light to go on. "The transmission? How could it be the transmission?", I asked. I should have known something was up when the receptionist told me she had been trying to get in touch with the service manager (RED FLAG #1). She assured me she would get in touch with me later to let me know what he had said. Meanwhile, I was still floored that my transmission was the culprit.

Later that afternoon, I did get a call from the service manager, who explained the problem once again, and he proceeded to tell me that he was going to call American Honda about working with me on this issue. He then wanted to know what I wanted from American Honda. I was dumbfounded because I had never haggled for service before, so naturally I explained I didn't think it was fair to have to pay for any of this. The service manager claimed that in the past (RED FLAG #2), customers had been granted 75% coverage from American Honda, while they only had to cover the remaining cost plus labor. I encouraged him to shoot for 100% coverage, seeing as how I earlier that morning I was looking at $300+ for a 60,000 mile service visit and was now looking at adding another zero to that price. He said he'd get back to me.

Amazingly, he did. This time, he claimed that American Honda wanted to know what else my car needed, to which he gave them a long list of recommended services. Then, the service manager told me American Honda would cover 100% of the transmission IF (RED FLAG #3) I agreed to authorize two of the recommended services: a new battery for $89.99 and an alternator for $415. Should I not go with the recommended services, the service manager could not guarantee American Honda's cooperation in the 100% coverage of the transmission. So...there I stood with a sort of ultimatum regarding my car care. Either I accept the 75% coverage from American Honda and plan to shell out $1,300 on my own to cover the remaining cost of labor, or I can pay $1065.99+tax to take care of the transmission, alternator and battery.

The choice sounds simple, but here are my concerns: would this be a new transmission? is it covered under warranty? are these prices/coverage plans in writing? what about my 60,000 mile service needs? what about the other Honda owners who have had to deal with this same issue? These are the questions I have yet to answer, but I will be contacting the service manager tomorrow to try and get this all in writing or at least negotiate my 60,000 mile services into the deal.

I do wish to thank Scott from AAMCO; I called to get a second opinion in terms of transmission pricing, and he is the one who said I should look into the service bulletin released by Honda. Once I hopped online, I found this site, and many others, that describe other similar situations in detail. Reading about other people's situations has certainly given me more leverage in terms of negotiation power.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 082008

Accord EX Coupe 3.2L V6

Well I'm not alone and I'm glad I found this website b/c I'm bringing these complaints to my dealership. I never would have thought my transmission would fail on a 2002 Accord Coupe Honda with 80,00 MILES! The mechanic said this can happen but I knew that at 80,000 miles on a HONDA IS UNACCEPTABLE. I drove the car maybe 4 out of the 7 years I had possession of the car. This is ridiculous and Honda should be ashamed . I'm never buying a Honda again! I tried calling "Good Will" but with this economy and their stinginess they don't care especially if IT'S HONDA'S FAULT! Someone can get killed with a failed transmission.

- , White Plains, NY, USA

Dec 012008

Accord LX 3.2L

I am yet another owner of a 2002 Honda Accord. When I first bought the car I was happy. I'm in sales so I do drive alot. At 72,000 miles I noticed a little bit of slipping, and took it in to my mechanic for a diagnostic test. The transmission was not mentioned. Now, when the car reached 112,000 miles I noticed it slipping again--in low gear, and starting to jerk pretty hard. I have maintained this car really well because I wanted to keep it running after it was paid off (5 months ago). I have changed the timing belt, etc...I have been told the transmission is going out, which normally is not surprising for a car with this mileage, but I found it surprising for Honda. The repairs are going to be very costly---$3,700 which includes engine mounts.

What pisses me off is hearing all the other reports of how Honda is not claiming fault, and is not taking responsibility for this major and costly repairs for their customers. Esp. those still under warranty! A class action lawsuit has not been filed, due to no reported "safety concerns", but Honda needs to be forced to step up and make things right. Any suggestions anyone?

- , Katy, TX, USA