CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

8.0

$2,499.00

1. recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (187 reports)
  2. replace transmission (50 reports)
  4. replaced transmission (32 reports)
  5. replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
  6. Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 5 of 18)

Apr 192011

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I found my Honda’s the acceleration from low speed to high speed had some kind of un-smooth transition. After the speed is up, everything will be ok. I had been driving manual shift car and military vehicle before I drove auto transmission car. I thought all the auto transmission will act like that, so I have never thought anything wrong with my Honda.Until recently, when My wife drove the car on a local street, suddenly the engine check light was popped up (maybe need oil change) and the D4 is flashing. She thought something wrong with the D4 transmission, so she shifted it down to D3 at the stop sign. My Honda was shaken, my wife was shocked. After the shake, the car was still drivable. She went to local Jiffy Lube to change oil on next day. The mechanic told my wife that my Honda had a code PO780 for transmission problem, which need to bring to a dealer to fix it. She let me know the following day when I called her from Iraq. Since time zone difference, I had one of my friends to help her find out what was wrong with the car. Later, my friend told my wife that for some Honda vehicles were produced during that time period had transmission problems. Honda Company gave a time frame to fix all Honda Accord’s transmission. Right now, the time window was closed, if I want to fix my Honda. I have to pay from my pocket which may cost me about $3000 (my car’s market value is less than $7000) or go to some other auto shop to get some second hand transmission which can’t grantee to fix my Honda. I like my Honda very much. Because of its low mileage, I thought I could drive this car at least for another 10 years. But now this thing happend to me. I felt very disappointed.

- , Glendora, CA, USA

Feb 012011

Accord SE 4 cyl

I woke up this morning to take my kids to school and I noticed that my car was making a weird noise after being started up. Once I warmed the car up as I put it into reverse the car was jerking and would not go forward without a jerk. As I proceeded to drive the car kept pulling and jerking. This is a pain in the ass because I get everything done and fixed on my car this is the second time for this.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 012009

Accord EX 4 cyl

I purchased a used 2002 Honda Accord EX ecstatic. Previous car was an 01 Honda Civic (manual). Mother has owned various Hondas and Toyotas as well. However, after noticing slipping and jerking while in motion and taking off from a stop I took it in for diagnostic. Two mechanics said that the transmission was failing and referred to either rebuild or replace. However, Honda said that merely the transmission fluid needed to be flushed. Meanwhile, Google lead me here where I've found multiple Hondas within the 2000 and up to be problematic with TRANSMISSIONS. Sorry I have been told basically all my life and it makes perfect sense to me that if I have to replace the motor and/or transmission then it is time for another car and it does typically lead to more replacements and issues and repairs far out weigh the down payment for another car. But the financial burden of a car note it balanced with dependability in some cases. I continued to drive the car and it got increasingly worse. Initially when I found this website this car was around #13 for the worst car to ever own. I have seen it climb to #9 and here is my AUTOBEEF.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 012009

Accord LX 2.4L V4

I have been told that Honda Accord vehicles were the best operating vehicles on the market. I went with the advice and brought one. After 95,000 miles later, the transmission is slipping out of first going into second. The problem is getting so bad that I told my wife not to drive it any more until it it fixed. I believe that Honda should RECALL the 2001 - 2004 models for transmission failure and replace the transmission by paying at least 75% of the cost.

- , Longview, TX, USA

Jul 022010

Accord SE 4- cyl

The transmission broke at an unbelievably low amount of miles. When talking with transmission dealers and they asked for the mileage they said it was unheard of. This problem randomly started in the middle of the highway and I seriously thought I was going to get in an accident.

- , Alpine, CA, USA

Mar 272011

Accord EX

Really devastated and disappointed with Honda Accord. I bought Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder in 2002 and one owner and well maintained car, no accidents at all. First, I noticed the gear slipping problem in less than 100K miles, when I speak with my friends circle (Honda Accord owners) and all of them had same transmission problems. When it start jerking in 125 K, I took the car to the mechanic and he told me a mjor problem in transmission. Transmission repair guys has charged close to $4K for rebuilting the transmission and for changing timing belt. I am very skeptical how long this car will run with rebuilt transmission. I believe Honda cheated the consumers and I lost confidence in Honda. I never buy Honda anymore.

- , Highland Park, NJ, USA

Feb 012011

Accord EX 2.4L

Same problems as other slip and jerk between 1st and 2nd. Hope car last till Thursday when new Toyota comes in. Also air bag light is on, may be computer or right side sensor, Honda's response to bad. I have no idea if air bags will deploy if I am in an accident. Also for the plastic junk they use around leather seats is cracking ready for duck tape. Have driven Honda's sine 1995 never again.

- , Phila, PA, USA

Dec 202010

Accord EX V6

Having the same issues as a lot of people on here. The check engine & TCS lights came on and the D4 light was blinking. Even with the trouble codes the car was running fine, so I took it to the dealer who ran the code which came up P0780 which the dealer called the transmission death code. They quoted me $2800.00 to replace the transmission.

I decided to drive it to another shop and have them look at it. I was told the code is a solenoid failure problem in most cases so they cleaned the solenoid screens for $150.00 and now the car runs better than it has in a few years. No more revs between 1st and 2nd gear and the mileage has increased as well.

The cost for a replacement solenoids runs about $200.00 and most dealers won't replace it unless you ask. I was told most of the Hondas transmission problems were clogged solenoids screens since they do not have a transmission filter

- , Chantilly, VA, USA

Nov 012009

Accord EX V6

Through the research I have done, several Honda Accord customers complained of the same issue with the transmission. I would like Honda Corp. to take responsibility and pay for the cost of a new transmission.

- , Folsom, CA, USA

Feb 212009

Accord SE

OK...so the warranty expired and so did the transmission.....couldn't believe I had to spend another 3 grand! Had to do it AGAIN!!!!!

- , Snellville, GA, USA

Oct 012010

Accord EX V6

I called Hersons Honda in rockville and was told that the repair would cost about 5,000 dollars and that it wasn't covered under the extended warranty because it was more than 7 years past. This is a rediculous amount to charge for a single repair I could buy an entire honda accord for that much money. I have bought my last honda.

- , Gaithersburg, MD, USA

May 312010

Accord SE 2.3L I4

YES! ANOTHER TRANSMISSION SLIPPING PROBLEM. SAME SYMPTOMS AS EVERYONE ELSE. PRIOR TO TRANSMISSION FAILURE I WAS GETTING 27 MPG MIXED. AFTER TRANSMISSION FAILURE 22MPG. TRANSMISSION STARTED FAILING LAST YEAR AROUND MAY TO JUNE OF 2010. IT WAS STILL DRIVABLE BUT WOULD SLIP AND JERK MANY TIMES. I ACTUALLY GOT USED TO IT, THOUGH UNSAFE, AND STILL DROVE IT FOR ABOUT A YEAR. PROBLEM GOT WORSE AS TIME WENT BY. I TRIED TO DRIVE A STEEP HILL TO GO HOME AND WOULD ONLY STAY IN 1ST GEAR. THERE WERE STOP LIGHTS GOING UP THE HILL AND WHEN I STOPPED AND HAD TO GAS UP HILL, THE CAR WOULD NOT GO IN GEAR. I WAS PRAYING THAT I WOULD MAKE IT UP THE HILL. I HAD TO GO UP HILL ON 1ST GEAR. I FINALLY GOT FED UP AND TOOK IT TO A MECHANIC TO REBUILD MY TRANSMISSION. IT COST ME $1600 WHICH IS A STEAL COMPARING TO HOW MUCH OTHERS PAID HERE. HONDA I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING BECAUSE YOU JUST LOST A CUSTOMER!!! I WILL NEVER BUY HONDA AGAIN! I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING BUYING TOYOTA, HYUNDAI OR EVEN FORD OR CHEVY! NO MORE HONDAS!!!

- , Chino Hills, CA, USA

Dec 152010

Accord EX V6

Read several editorials by Honda owners and I have the same problem as everyone else in the shifting of the car. Well, I decided to call American Honda and the customer service rep won't admit that Honda has had a problem with transmission shifting and has refused to escalate it to mgmt. I indicated that I have also a 2005 Honda Accord and I asked if this problem was fixed before 2005 vehicle year. She indicated that Honda cannot answer that question and I asked her if she could provide a number where I could ask the question. She "flatly" refused to escalate or provide any assistance. I am "really" disappointed, as with every other owner of prior year Honda, with the customer care support. All they said is that the car is out of warranty and will no longer be supported with questions or answers.

I don't know if it is a TPS or some type of other electronic problem but someone at Honda needs to step up to the table. If anyone comes up with a solution please post. If they don't, it will definitely affect future sales but maybe they just think they are too big or maybe just don't care about previous and current owners.

Thanks

- , Petaluma, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Accord 4 cyl

Replace a transmission on a Honda at 85,000 miles? I bought Honda expecting at least a couple of hundred thousand miles before any major work. $2,759.00 for a rebuilt transmission and a 12 month warranty. Ouch!!!

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 102011

Accord SE 2.3L

Bought new February 1, 2002. Transmission just went out at 146,000 miles. Been keeping a feel on this transmission for the past 4 or 5 years as consumer reports shows the 2002 accord has an above average problem on these transmissions. I was hoping I got one of the lucky good accords. Unfortunately I did not. AAMCO to rebuild transmission at a cost of $2800. Can't complain though, all cars have their problems.

- , Oakland, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Accord LX V6

Honda is very negligent in accepting any blame for this epidemic transmission problem. I am paying everything out of pocket, because the transmissions are of course, going out right after the warranty ends.

- , Reston, VA, USA

Jul 012008

Accord LE 2.3L 4 Cl

I have had my car serviced regularly at my neighborhood Sunoco station, which follows Honda service procedures - only with more frequent oil changes than recommended by Honda. They advised me to change the transmission oil at the 50,000 mile service, which I did. Some weeks later, the transmission started slipping going around corners. Now at 75,000 miles it still slips - not terribly, but terrible quality for a Honda. I bought a new Honda Accord in 2010 (my fourth Accord) and gave the slipping one to my son. Possibly I would have bought a different make if I had seen all the complaints on the web about Honda transmissions.

Shortly after I noticed the problem in 2008, I asked County Transmissions in Vienna, VA if they could look at it and possibly fix it and they said it is sealed and can't be fixed and that I should just drive it until it breaks and then replace the transmission. I called Honda and they said it would cost about $3,500 to 4,000 to replace the transmission. County transmissions said they would replace it with the same three year 36,000 mile warranty for $2,650.

- , Vienna, VA, USA

Apr 052010

Accord Special Edition 2.3vtech

We switched to Honda cars in 1997 and we had good service. Since we had good service, we decided to buy another one and now we have nothing but trouble out of this transmission. We are not pleased at all!!! Honda should have done a recall on all 2002 Honda's regarding the transmission. We are now having second thoughts about purchasing another Honda.

- , Sardis, MS, USA

Jan 032011

Accord SE 2.3L

02 Honda accord coupe se with 54000 miles on it. KNOW THE TRANSMISSION IS GOING OUT. This is my first Honda and going to be my last if Honda step up and issue a recall.

- , Millersville, PA, USA

Jan 132011

Accord SE 4cl Vtech

My husband and I purchased this car brand new from the dealership initially through the lease program but ended up with the car permanently. The car has been maintenanced regularly using Honda certified mechanics.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: transmission is slipping and jerking when upshifting and downshifting between 1st and 2nd gear. As you accelerate normally, the tachometer will suddenly zing up past 4k rpms as engine accelerates, but it will fail to shift up to 2nd gear leaving you stranded in the midst of an intersection, on-ramp, or with traffic bearing down on you. You essentially stall (although the engine is running the transmission will not engage). You can only let off the gas and decelerate until the transmission winds down and eventually catches at which point your card will move forward again.

HONDA... HERE IS THE SAFETY ISSUE: using breaks does not help to hasten the re-engagement of your transmission. it only worsens your stranded situation. And without breaking, you are left at the mercy of gaining traffic since the speed of your car, on level or inclining road-grade is at least 15 - 40 mph less than other moving vehicles. PLUS you may not have any place to steer the car out of the way if you could. After the transmission finally engages your car will sluggishly move forward and this to is in a poorly controlled fashion. AND its possible to let into the gas and again find your transmission slipping - you are HOSED !!! as honking horns and screeching vehicles swerve to miss you. (duck and cover and hope no-one gets hurt?) and the profanities fly in front of your minor child.

<< Did I mention that this is my 4th but likely my LAST HONDA... very disappointed ...read on >>

OTHER TRAFFIC HAZARD FROM THE SLIPPING DOWNSHIFT: Likewise, if the transmission fails to engage on the downshift it occurs as follows... You are in traffic because you are coming through an intersection where you have the green light (or rounding a corner or curve ) and you slow down appropriately. which places the tranny at the point it should be downshifting. Something suddenly changes in the traffic situation that you need to accelerate (as an oncoming car that is judging your car to be in control of its forward motion). as you press into the gas to accelerate as you should, the tachometer zings up to the red, you car continues to slow while your engine races and you become a sitting duck in the middle of the intersection as the oncoming vehicles AND vehicles behind you catch on to the fact you aren't moving anymore (again you can only wait until your tranny winds down and decides to engage and hope you don't get hit).

<< I don't see why there is not an investigation in to this as a safety issue >>

MAINTENANCE STRING OUTS ARE DESIGNED TO KEEP YOU GUESSING AND TELLING YOU VARIOUS REASONS THAT THE TROUBLE CODE CAN COVER MORE THAN ONE THING ... When this problem first started my car was only getting these occasional P CODES that the dealer and mechanics told me could be a slew of possibilities (including an O2 SENSOR - dirty ports - or a solenoid - air cleaners, air lines, emission system, too much ethanol in the gas, on and on. and at the time the transmission was not slipping that often. Each time i spent the money required to change an oxygen sensors and clean ports, do tune ups, clean the air filter and hoses. And constantly being told to every thing on the list while saying nothing about factory defective transmission. Eventually as the shifting grew more frequent and more severe, I was told to change my fluid (twice i was told the wrong fluid went in) then I was told I needed a transmission flush (two of those have been done).

All this work strung across 5 or more years and started back when my drive-train was still under warranty and now the extended 93k factory extension for goodwill repair is no longer available. FINALLY my mechanic tells me the truth... the transmission is failing. its clear to me that i was strung along on all the while. Since my problem started in 2006 (3 years after buying the car). I am sure the dealers were well versed in the way to string a customer out to avoid correcting the problem. I have to think that Honda USA is complicit since it must have encouraged the coverup ( dealers get paid for recalled parts ).

As you can tell by my description, i very accurately described the problem. One mechanic even beat me to the description after asking the year of my car, he asked does it happen more when the car is cold but clear up later and does it only happen changing to second gear. Its clear to me i have been strung along while my warranty and extended mileage possibilities were run out.

Now he tells me my tranmission could go out at any time and that its 3k or more to fix it.

WHAT I DON'T SEE IS WHETHER ANYONE HAS HAS SUCCESS WITH THEIR REPLACED TRANSMISSIONS ???

- , WalkersvillE, MD, USA