CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2004 Nissan Maxima wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Feb 242006

Maxima 6-cyl

All four Goodyear Eagle rs-a P245/45R tires on my 2004 Nissan Maxima developed deep sidewall cracks. Nissan would not cover the defective tires. Goodyear provided some relief by discounting the replacement cost to $264.15. Upon searching the internet to see if other owners had experienced the same problem with the 2004 Nissan Maxima and Goodyear tires, I discovered there were 113 registered owners who had the identical problem, extensive sidewall cracks. Neither Nissan nor Goodyear would acknowledge a problem. Some of the owners experienced crashes and injuries. The web site is www.mycarstats.com/safetystation.asp#safetystation. Underinflation was not the problem. I check my tires regularly. Jack burns..

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Sep 232006

Maxima 6-cyl

2004 Nissan with Goodyear tires P245/45R18 had car in for oil change and tire rotation and was informed insides of tires all cracked and deemed to be defective by garage. Garage advised take to Goodyear to replace obviously defective tires.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 122006

Maxima

2004 Maxima has sidewall cracks on Goodyear tires. All four tire developed cracks, both on the inside and the outside of the sidewalls. The tire had been regularly rotated and per instructions contained in the Nissan owner's manual.

Sep 152006

Maxima 6-cyl

2006 Nissan Maxima SE oem Goodyear Eagle 245/45/18 defective sidewalls. More specifically, subject tires developed major cracks of 6 inches or more on the inner and outer sidewalls. An internet query yielded numerous identical complaints concerning Maximas and Goodyear tires. Three of four tires had major cracking on inside sidewall, damage only detectable when vehicle was placed on lift. One of four tires had obvious signs of major cracking on outside sidewall; which prompted further investigation and discovery of inner sidewall cracking. All tires could catastrophically fail during normal use.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 232006

Maxima 6-cyl

All 4 tires of my Nissan 2004 (first owner) develop cracks on sidewalls, not sure when cracks developed however, based on 1/8" wide crack (gap) on right rear inside tire, crack must have started between 25,000 & 30,000 miles, all along perimeter where sidewall meets tread. Tire size (original equipment manufacturer) P245-45-R18, Goodyear Eagle rs-a. dealer (central valley Nissan, modesto ca). Condition of tires are obviously a sign of structural defect. Tires can explode at any time and should not be driven until new tires have been placed. Dealerships should be notified to watch for conditions on models that were sold with this particular tire. I found the condition myself and unfortunately have never been warned by the dealer who sold me the vehicle. I believe many others with the same type of tire are at risk today and not aware of the impending consequence.

- Ripon, CA, USA

Sep 102006

Maxima 6-cyl

All 4 tires of my Nissan 2004 (first owner) develop cracks on sidewalls (25000 miles), all along perimeter where sidewall meets tread. Tire size (original equipment manufacturer) P245-45-R18, Goodyear. Dealer (sheehy Nissan, springfield, va) released document : "found all 4 tires have splits in sidewalls. No apparent damage -- looks like under warranty." Tires have been rotated by dealer at recommended intervals, wheels balanced. Nissan manual:at rotation dealer inspects for abnormalities; no mention of problems at about 2600 miles. Dealer advise contact Goodyear hq, tires not guaranteed Nissan. Was advised by Goodyear hq to have car inspected @ craven tires, fairfax station, va. Craven tires released written statement: "we found cracks in all 4 tires inconsistent with dry rot due to mileage and age of tires. Customer was offered 25% courtesy discount on new tires. Customer has declined at this time. Offer stands for 30 days. Note tread depth on all 4 tires is 4/32 of an inch." Note that 4/32 is measured from embedded "consumption" bar, note also that new tires are 10/32 inch, hence tires would still have 40% life (4/10). My opinion is a structural defect and therefore a danger for all these tires, not only on my car. Dealer (Mr. Ron del rio, sheehy Nissan, springfield, va) confirmed by mouth that the problem had occurred on many other Maximas en Altima, but that all clients had decided to pay themselves for replacement. These tires will see separation of sidewalls/tread, rapid deflation and may cause accident. Do not use the car until this is solved to my full satisfaction; will not hesitate to bring the matter in front of the court. I am awaiting answer on my notes that I sent to Goodyear corporate address and Nissan customer services. Nissan has notified me that it will answer me within 2-3 days, as the matter had to brought to the attention of "higher level" people within their organization.

Sep 142006

Maxima 6-cyl

: the contact stated cracks were noticed on the sidewall of the tires. The vehicle was taken to the dealership who advised to call the tire manufacturer. The manufacturer of the tires determined the cracks were a result of wear and age, not dry rot. The tires needed to be replaced.

Aug 232006

Maxima 6-cyl

: the contact stated while washing the vehicle, the sidewall of all four tires were discovered to be cracked. The vehicle was taken to the dealership who determined the sidewalls were worn and the tires needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was alerted. The tires are Goodyear, model Eagle rs-a, P245/45R18.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jul 192006

Maxima 6-cyl

While driving on the NJ turn pike at 70 mph, my husband felt what seemed like a tire going flat. He proceeded to try to get to the shoulder. Suddenly, the left rear tire blew and he totally lost control of the vehicle. He was hit head-on and in the rear. Both he and the driver of the other vehicle were injured and transported to the hospital. Two days later we went to see the car at the towing garage and we saw the rear passenger tire was split on the sidewall. These tires were replaced recently and were rotated and checked by Goodyear three months ago. Goodyear saw nothing wrong with the tires at that time. Is Goodyear waiting for a death to occur before they issues a recall? there are many complaints about the rsa18" tires.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Jul 272006

Maxima 6-cyl

: the contact stated that there were tears on the inside wall of all 4 tires. The vehicle was taken to a service dealer, who determined that the vehicle was unsafe to drive with the tires in that condition, however the dealer was unable to determine the cause of the problem.

- Plainview, NY, USA

Jul 252006

Maxima 6-cyl

Goodyear Eagle rsa tires P245/45R18, on Nissan Maxima 2004, with 20,000 miles. All four tires are defective. Tread is separating from sidewall. Goodyear has no recall and Nissan has no recall on this issue. The dealer I took the car to said that mine was about the 3rd Nissan he seen with this issue. I just took my 2004 Nissan maximum into the dealer for a front seat and undercarriage recall issue and ask them to look at my front tire because the sidewall of the tire had a large split in it. The dealer told me that all four tires were bad on my car and the inside of the tires were much worse than the split in the sidewall that I pointed out to them. My car only has 20,000 miles on it and the dealer would not replace the tires because Goodyear will not acknowledge this problem and send the dealers replacement tires.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Jun 102006

Maxima

This complaint documents a very disturbing situation regarding Goodyear Eagle rs-a P245/45R18 tires on our 2004 Nissan Maxima. We are the original owners and there were 29,500 miles on the car at the time. We had a violent flat tire (passenger rear) and upon removal noticed that the inside side wall had split in multiple regions around the circumference of the tire. When the car was up on the lift as the tire was being replaced at a Goodyear dealer, it was noticed that the remaining three tires also had multiple long, deep inside side wall cracks, evident around the entire circumference. It was obvious that the car was extremely unsafe to drive in this condition, and we had all 4 tires replaced. We have no idea how long the tires had been in this condition, though it looked like the rubber had degraded significantly. Since the cracks were on the inside, they were impossible to see with normal visual inspection. We consider ourselves extremely lucky that we were not seriously injured or killed as a result. It is also evident that this is a defective condition of the tires, for this to happen to all four tires at only 29,500 miles. Once home, we checked the internet to see if there was any recall issued. We were horrified to find numerous complaints from owners of 2004 Nissan Maximas that have experienced the same problem. We find it hard to believe that prestigious companies such as Goodyear or Nissan would be so irresponsible as to allow people to unknowingly drive around on hazardous tires. We are extremely concerned that other Nissan Maxima owners may experience the same problem but may be hurt or killed as a result. It is irresponsible of both Goodyear and Nissan to not respond to this situation. We believe they should issue a recall or safety alert and fully reimburse the owners for the tire cost. We then sent letters to both Goodyear and Nissan to address their intent.

- Chadds Ford, PA, USA

Jun 012006

Maxima 6-cyl

I purchased a 2004 Nissan Maxima approximately 18 months ago. The car now has 17000 miles on it. I took it to the Nissan dealership where I purchased the car, pohanka Nissan in fredericksburg, va, the car failed inspection because the tires have failed. The tires are Goodyear Eagle rs-a M+S P245/45 R18. The tires have sidewall cracks on the inside of the tires and cords are showing. The dealership said that this is a recurring problem on Nissan's equipped with these tires. I believe that this is a safety issue. I am also disappointed that this apparently widespread problem has not resulted in a recall. These are expensive tires and should not have failed after 18 mos. And 17,000 miles.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

May 172006

Maxima 6-cyl

: the contact stated while adding air to the tires, it was noticed the sidewalls of the two front tires were cracked. There were no warning indicators of a problem other than the cracked sidewalls. The tire manufacturer was contacted and agreed to replace the two front tires. The two rear tires do not appear to have a problem. The tires were regularly rotated and the proper pressure was maintained. The tire dealer informed the contact this was the forth vehicle seen with this same problem recently. The tire brand name is Eagle rsa and the size is P245/45/R18.

- Madison, CT, USA

May 102006

Maxima 6-cyl

: the contact stated when inspecting the tires it was discovered the driver's side rear and front passenger tire sidewalls were cracked. The tires are still maintaining air pressure; however the cracks are more severe. The dealer and manufacturer have not been alerted.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 252006

Maxima 6-cyl

: the contact stated upon inspection of the tires it was noticed the sidewalls on all four tires are cracked. The vehicle dealer and tire manufacturer have been alerted.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 062006

Maxima

At a recent oil service the tires on my car were found to have deep cracks in the sidewalls. The tread on the tires appears to be good for 10K more miles. However I had to have them changed as they amy fail due to rupture of the sidewalls.

- Vanceboro, NC, USA

Apr 032006

Maxima 6-cyl

I notice a few days ago that 3 out of 4 tires on my Nissan Maxima 2004 have developed cracks on the side walls. After doing some research on the internet I came across numerous complaints about the same thing. I strongly believe that these tires are defective and further investigation by the NHTSA is required. Lets not wait for someone to get killed before action is taken. The tires are manufactured by Goodyear. The model of the tires are Eagle rs-a P245/45 R18.

- Perth Amboy, NJ, USA

Apr 012006

Maxima 6-cyl

: the contact stated on Friday night the vehicle was pulled into the driveway. On Saturday morning the contact noticed the front passenger tire was flat. The side wall was split. Upon further inspection it was noticed all four tires had a split on the side wall, but only one had gone flat. The tires have not been inspected to determine what caused the sidewall damage.

- Rockmart, GA, USA

Apr 032006

Maxima

My 2004 Nissan Maxima has been experiencing loud rattling noise when driving and severe shaking of the steering when applying the brakes. In April 2006 I took the car to the dealership. They stated the struts and suspension needed to be placed and insisted I pay for it. The struts had been replaced in the car previously in April of 2005 along with defective rotors. They also suggested the belts be replaced because they were cracking. I have not had the car two years yet, but parts on this vehicle continue to malfunction exhibiting all signs of defective manufacturing. Additionally I replaced two of the originally tires (Goodyear rsa 18") at 12K and 20K miles for tears in the sidewalls. I have reviewed the other complaints on file for this vehicle from other owners and unfortunately I share the same problems with my Maxima.

- Edison, NJ, USA