CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 12)

Jul 012015

Maxima

Over a period of about three weeks, the transmission on this car went from occasional rough shifting to being stuck in 5th gear all the time. The car would "reset" with the ignition turned off, than the car restarted, but that too failed to work after about a week. The situation now has the car un-drivable. Nissan claims the transmission is totally failed, and an independent repair shop agreed. The car will still do one normal shift cycle when it is cool, but than remains in fifth gear after that.

- New Ipswich, NH, USA

Apr 012015

Maxima

The car's transmission slipped, the RPM''s went up and then the car slammed into gear.

- Charlestown, NH, USA

Jun 022015

Maxima

Excessive/harsh transmission shift 1st, 2nd and 2nd to 1st, problem gets worse after vehicle heats up. Repairs range from $3,000 and up. Vehicle was inspected by Nissan dealership on June 2,2015, I was advised that without repair could cause additional damage. I am afraid that this will cause an accident.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 042014

Maxima

Pulling away from a stoplight, the transmission jerked violently from 1st to 2nd gear of the automatic transmission. The vehicle went into "limp mode" only going to 20 miles per hour on a very busy street with no turn off. Car was towed, and new transmission needed. Nissan will not take responsibility for the repair.

- Troutville, VA, USA

Oct 152014

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission started shifting hard and occasionally revving before going into gear when starting out or backing up. We had the fluid changed and added lucas transmission fix. This seemed to fix the issue for 3 months or so then it started again. Going to have the transmission checked at a local specialist shop. With so many people having this issue why has Nissan not issued a recall. They pride themselves in selling reliable and quality products this is not so.

- Endicott, NY, USA

Jan 072015

Maxima 6-cyl

It started hard shifting and jerking in the beginning and then it would level out. After awhile it wouldn't go in gear. Took it to get it checked and was told that the transmission needed to be replaced at the cost of $3000 or more. I have friends and family the have had this same issue, with so many people having this issue why has Nissan not issued a recall. They pride themselves in selling reliable and quality products this is not so.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Aug 252014

Maxima 6-cyl

I had my valve body replaced due to hard shifting and a delay in transmission engagement when shifting from park to drive. Vehicle is start to exhibit same symptoms and I was informed the transmission would need to be replaced at the cost of $2,500 vehicle had 148,000 miles on it. Nissan should be held responsible for its inferior quality and workmanship.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 032014

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2006 Nissan Maxima began hard shifting while driving, reversing, and shifting into drive. I took it in to have it serviced over the summer and the Nissan dealership recommended a transmission flush and said nothing was wrong. Of course that did not fix anything. The problem has gotten progressively worse to the point where it can take up to 5 seconds for the car to shift into gear when I am putting it into drive. I contacted the Nissan corporation and they advised me to go to the dealership and have it diagnosed. Well of course now the dealership says we need to have the transmission replaced...to the tune of $3,000. When I contacted the Nissan corporation they informed me there was nothing they could do to help me and that my car didn't fall within the parameters of the cvt transmission extended warranty. So not only are we out $150 for a diagnosis that we already knew what the problem was, but now we have to get the vehicle repaired or it won't be safe to drive. We have owned two Nissan and the previous one was a 1996 Maxima that never gave us any problems. I wish I had that car back and not this "upgraded" model. I use to think that Nissan was a company that stood by its customers and strived for satisfaction, but I now know that is not the case. Will NHTSA ever look into these complaints and force Nissan's hand as far as this transmission issue goes? there needs to be a safety recall, not just a bulletin.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Oct 022014

Maxima 6-cyl

I was driving my car, doing approximately 35mph, when the engine revved and the car bucked. I had my transmission fluid checked, and added what needed to be added, figuring that's what the problem was. It wasn't. the car has continued to do this for the last 3 months, and today the transmission went on the car. I bought the car in 2013 with 88,000 miles on it and no warranty. It is now 2015, and the car has just above 100,000 miles.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

May 012014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle jerked when shifting gears. In addition, the contact stated that when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle accelerated excessively. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Byhalia, MS, USA

Dec 012014

Maxima 6-cyl

In heavy traffic, at low speed, car began to rev high when trying to accelerate. Had to have the valve body replaced for $1300. Car has 55,000 miles on it.

- Churchville , PA, USA

May 072010

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission problems in 2010, 2012, &2014(now)

- Middlesex, NC, USA

Jul 152014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that there was a delay when he attempted to switch the gear from reverse to drive. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the valve body from the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Columbia , MS, USA

Mar 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

I bought a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE from a used car dealer with roughly 36,000 miles on it in 2006 March. The car ran great for a while, but right around when it hit about 65,000 miles it started having problems with the transmission. Initially, the problem would only surface when I put my car from reverse to drive, and the car would lurch forward violently. I took it to the dealer who said that 2003-2006 Nissan Maxima's were known to have an issue with the transmission, but said it is not covered by any recall and would not be covered by a warranty as my car was beyond the 5 yr coverage period. The car now has 94,000 miles on it and the transmission problem is getting progressively worse. The car transmission slips intermittently which leads to problems with acceleration or maintaining speed and is a serious safety issue and due to this reason I avoid driving on freeways.

- Irving, TX, USA

Jan 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

Immediately after purchase, various instances of electrical malfunction, including mirror lights flickering, dash lights flickering/half doesn't come one, as well as faulty wiring in sun roof causing it to open and closes randomly on it's own. Shortly thereafter, transmission started to slip and knock hard into gears, even though proper maintenance was always completed. Brakes replaced several times. Suspension lacking. As of last week, the traction/slip lights come on and the car will not accelerate properly, almost causing several accidents. This problem has yet to be resolved, as no one seems to know what the problem is. This vehicle has caused financial harm as well as near physical harm on several occasions.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Feb 102014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 5 mph, the gear shifter was switched and the vehicle jerked forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000. Updated 01/13/15

- Winter Garden , FL, USA

Jan 062010

Maxima

I was at the light waiting to make a left turn into my neighborhood and as I got a break to turn in front of traffic my car jerked and cut off. My 2 year old and 3 year old was also in the car I was terrified and now scared to make a turn in front of traffic bc my car may cost me and my kids our life car isn't safe to drive like that.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 022014

Maxima 6-cyl

Hard shift when transmission is hot.

- Morrow, GA, USA

Jan 072014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 30 mph, the transmission began to jerk violently and the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also heard a constant rattling noise coming from the timing chain while driving various speeds. An independent mechanic recommended that the faulty timing chain be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 012014

Maxima

My transmission slowly began to kick and jerk. After a while it got worse and worse. It has got me into many near accidents do to either jerking or failed to shift and accelerate. It now will not shift into gear at all, and is currently in the shop. I have seen many complaint about this issue with Nissan, and think it is unacceptable that they do not recall these transmissions.

- Austin, TX, USA