CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 12)

Nov 022013

Maxima

Have taken the vehicle to the local Nissan dealership several times to have issues diagnosed and they would state there is nothing wrong. First started with having low and dirty oil and making a weird noise even after it has been serviced. Took the vehicle to a different place that the Nissan dealership said we should go. Their oil solution of royal purple synthetic oil did not work. Talked to the place where the vehicle was bought and because the warranty was expired they were unwilling to help. The vehicle currently has almost 108000 miles on it and have only owned it a year. I am afraid to drive the vehicle because of the hard shifting when driving and the slamming of the head against the head rest. It will slam into second, third and even fourth gear once it gets warmed up and take several seconds for the vehicle to engage and adjust the speed. I experience jerking coming from the rear while driving and recently while going from speed limits of 45 to 30 I felt a lose of power like it did not want to go. While parked it also slams into reverse and the first. I have a young son and this vehicle is defiantly not safe for him to drive in. I was told to replace the solenoids, timing chains, and to put a kit in it for the shifting issues. I also need to get an alignment done to address the shaking when going over 55mph. At this point the motor mounts probably need to be replaced. I'm still making payments on this vehicle and all warranties are expired. The air bags are also malfunctioning and the lights blink on and off this will cost up to a $1000 to have fixed. The check engine light also comes off and on but no codes show up. The RPM gauge gets stuck at 3 and you have to go over 40mph to get that gauge to work. Really don't want to have an accident because of the issues with the drive train and transmission.

- Redding, CA, USA

Jul 152014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the transmission would slip. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would jerk and slam into gear. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Aug 022013

• 9,930,000 miles
The vehicle shifts really hard between first and second gear.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Aug 172014

Maxima 6-cyl

The car started to jerk and the transmission started to slip. Car will not move now. It slams into gear.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 032014

Maxima 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate, I had cruise control set at 80mph. There was a stalling/jerking motion that took place. After looking over the instrument panel. I notice it was still on cruise control but the mph had dropped a few miles. Once cruise control was disengaged, I noticed the difference in acceleration. It felt like my car was stuck in third or forth gear. I had to hold pedal to the floor and wait as it picked up speed.

- Atmore, AL, USA

Feb 052014

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph and approaching a stop, transmission shifted hard. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the timing belt and the tensioner needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,800.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jul 042014

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission started slipping and jerking while trying to accelerate. First occured on a busy 4 lane bypass. We were barely able to get it pulled off of the highway the problem was so bad.

- Somerset, KY, USA

Jan 062014

Maxima

Slowed down to round a corner. Transmission slips upon acceleration.

- Webster, NY, USA

Mar 012014

Maxima 6-cyl

Same issue as another "transmission defect. I am experiencing a problem with my 2006 Nissan Maxima. The transmission in my car is slipping. When I am driving many times the acceleration increases the RPM above 3, before it changes. There are other internet postings with the same issues that I have. Based on the internet research, this seems to be a common problem with this year and model. Why isn't the Nissan corporation being held responsible for their actions?"

- Moravian Falls, NC, USA

May 262014

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission defect. I am experiencing a problem with my 2006 Nissan Maxima. The transmission in my car is slipping. When I am driving many times the acceleration increases the RPM above 3, before it changes gears. Also sometimes when taking off there is a very hard kick before you take off. There are other internet postings with the same issues that I have. Based on the internet research, this seems to be a common problem with this year and model. Why isn't the Nissan corporation being held responsible for their actions?

- Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

The car doesn't downshift properly (automatic 6 speed transmission). Also it shifts very hard from reverse into first. While traveling down a hill, the car revs hard when you step on the gas at the bottom of the hill and slams into gear. Car transmission also sometimes slips while accelerating. Lots of forums with people complaining about the same issues. Transmission repair facility said there is a service bulletin from Nissan for this problem.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

Jun 172014

Maxima

TL the contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the transmission failed and the engine warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. A mechanic stated that the transmission failure was due to the valve body. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 88,000. Jcc

- Camden, SC, USA

Jan 272012

Automatic transmission replaced.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Aug 232013

Maxima 6-cyl

While driving through the town of westport, ct, the car started to jerk and then it was difficult to get past 25 miles per hour and then all of a sudden the car shut off a couple of times. I then made it to a gas station and after a few minutes it started up and I made it home. I have now been told that there is a problem with the transmission on my car that causes jerking, gear slipping and sudden acceleration and cut offs that Nissan is aware of (on the 2006 Nissan Maxima models) and they have not addressed any of these problems or issues. I guess they will wait until someone gets killed before something happens. It is going to cost me $3000 to get my car fixed when it should be free because of the defect in the transmission on this model year car.

- Bridgeport, CT, USA

May 172011

Maxima 6-cyl

Upon accelerating, the vehicle lost power and harshly shifted into the next gear, surging forward and causing the operator to almost hit a vehicle in front of the vehicle. When Nissan was advised I was told to have the trans replaced (not cheap). Upon checking Nissan forums and speaking with other owners turns out this is a common problem with Nissan of the same generation, like the murano, and Altima. The problem has persisted, I refuse to repair an issue that seems to be a defect, along with the power steering issue that is 'common' in these cars.

- Florence, AL, USA

May 122014

Maxima 6-cyl

During upshifts and down shifts the car is very harsh. Slams into gear making acceleration and de-celebration unpredictable.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

After car has been driven for about 30 minutes the transmission slips and hesitates when shifting, especially into and out of 3rd gear. Took it to the dealership and I didn't even have to tell them what was wrong, he asked me if my transmission was acting up. When I said yes he rattled off about 5 things people have been experiencing (hard shifting in reverse, hesitation in upshifting, etc) and I said yes to each one. Without even looking at it he said it would be $4,000 for a new transmission because all of them have that problem. I contacted Nissan about paying for it and they refused, twice. I've almost gotten into a handful of accidents because of this. Switching lanes to pass someone on the highway and the transmission hesitates and sends the RPM's to 7000 and I almost get rear-ended, then when it does shift it jerks so hard the car swerves all over the road. It shifts so hard my engine mounts are broken and need replaced too.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Dec 042013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunge forward while the brakes were engaged. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the transmission was separating from the engine. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 108,000.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

May 082012

Maxima

Transmission has acted up and gotten stuck in 5th gear since I bought the car. It is very slow to take off from a stop when this happens and does not drive well at all. It also slams in and out of first and second gear before getting stuck in 5th.

- Arundel, ME, USA

Mar 262014

Maxima 6-cyl

The vehicle shifts gears in a very rough jerking motion. I have experience late gear engagement, which have resulted in multiple near collision accidents. Jerking also occurs when changing from reverse into drive. When pressing down on gas during highway travel, the RPM's raise and then a few seconds later the car will jerk into gear and then the speed will increase.

- Mt Pleasant, SC, USA