CarComplaints.com Notes: We don't recommend the 2009 Maxima nearly as highly as the 2007-2008 Maxima, because NHTSA complaints show a pattern of the steering lock module failing.

When the module fails it prevents the car from starting, & Nissan dealers charge over $1,000 (!!) to repair it. Nissan recalled the module on some other 2009 models with the same steering lock problem, but for some reason they left out the 2009 Maxima.

If you're thinking about buying a 2009 Maxima, instead consider a 2007-2008, or 2010 (or newer).

2.6

2009 Nissan Maxima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Maxima:

2009 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Nov 212014

Maxima

Nissan intelligent key was not communicating with engine start function. Yellow key light was on, key would unlock and lock the car, but it will not start. Suspected issue from reading all other Nissan Maxima owner forums is that it is a steering lock failure. Had tow truck take our car to the nearest car max Nissan dealer where we purchased the vehicle back in September 2012.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 022014

Maxima

Reaches a normal beverage center in my Nissan Maxima 2009 and went out in 4 hours when not lit it wanted to turn on my car, the screen showed two intelligent keys warning lights Nissan and security indicator, the key worked properly, the lights of the car too, the problem is just not turned on at all, I went to Nissan dealership and are charging me 1400 usd to fix my car and I see I'm not the only one with this problem in 2009 Nissan Maxima is very common to have some guarantee should the damaged piece, I need help with my car.

- Lawrence, MA, USA

Nov 072014

Maxima

I have had several complaints with my 2009 Nissan Maxima, first I keep having to replace the battery which I received a new battery from the dealer in January of 2013 with an 84 month warranty, well today the battery died again. I have had issues with the steering column since I purchased the vehicle in August of 2008. The first time steering column locked and the vehicle had to be towed to dealer and was replaced under warranty. It was replaced again the next few months and I was told it was the battery and then several months later stopped working again the up and down function. Second the vehicle suspension was supposedly replaced due the recall...but I was told recently by dealer that it need to be replaced again and they were trying to charge me over $1200 for a recalled item. Which I refused to pay.

- Camp Springs, MD, USA

Jun 192013

Maxima

Was driving and steering wheel started grinding and moving. Took to dealership and cost over $800 to replace two motors steering wheel. They turned it off so it stopped moving on it's own. Still making grinding noise. They need to issue a recall as this has happened to hundreds of cars and is causing accidents. Shame on Nissan for just wanting to collect the money, because you can't even order the parts on your own to have someone else repair.

- Nottingham, MD, USA

Oct 142014

Maxima 6-cyl

Went to turn the car on and the breaks were stiff and the steering wheel didn't want to turn. Apparently my steering wheel locked for no reason. This has been a big problem with the Nissan max. And they refuse to have a recall and expect me to pay for it out of pocket.

- Jacksonville , NC, USA

Sep 152014

Maxima 6-cyl

Tilt motor and telescoping motor ceased to work. Grinding sound when using the 4 way rocker switch to telescope or tilt the steering wheel.

- Lucas, TX, USA

Jan 152013

Maxima 6-cyl

Steering wheel tilt motor failed, grinding gear noise and when preset button is pressed, steering wheel goes all the way down. Pushing the up control for tilt only produces gear grinding noise, steering wheel will not go up.

- Winnebago, IL, USA

Jul 292014

Maxima 6-cyl

The steering wheel column is locked in the down position making it very difficult to steer with the wheels hitting my knees and extremely hard entering and exiting the vehicle. I am unable to adjust the steering wheel column at all. There is a very loud grinding noise coming from the column, which seems to be the motor or electrical component/ gears.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 252014

Maxima 6-cyl

Tilt and telescopic motors both failed locking the steering wheel in an awkward and uncomfortable position for driving. Motors continue to try and run thus depleting the battery of energy while the car's engine is off.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 142014

Maxima

There was an open recall on the the struts I purchased the care from alantic Nissan September 2009. I took the care to get checked out and was told that the origanal struts were on the care yet alantic Nissan said that they proformed the recall December 2009. My spouse and I did not take the care to get this done because we were not aware never told that there was a recall. The campaign #09V358000. I only found this out because at service in Nissan 112 I was told. I was told the Nissan is not required to tell consmers about recall NHTSA is requirded to do so. If so was I not informed that the tranmisson coverage was changed to 120,000 the steering was recalled and motors in the seat.

- Brentwood, NY, USA

Jun 172014

Maxima 6-cyl

Motor in steering column failed and caused the steering column to jerk and make a grinding noise when ever the steering column moved or when the door was opened. Nissan had a service and technical bulletin (ntb09-094) on this item dated September 23, 2009. So this has been a known issue and no recall has been done on this. I even have an extended warranty and in my warranty it states it should be covered by Nissan and they refuse to cover it.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Feb 212014

Maxima

I stopped at a store for about 5 minutes. When I returned to my car to leave, my car would not start. The anti theft and the yellow key symbol was blinking. The steering wheel would not lock so I could press the brake pedal to start the car. My car had to be towed to the dealer. They found that the steering lock assembly was faulty. The part was covered under the extended powertrain warranty. I am a female and I was along. This could become a dangerous situation and I think the 2009 Maxima should be a part of a recall that is for the 2009 Altima as well. The same problem!

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Feb 062014

Maxima

I returned to my parked car after commuting on the train home from work and tried to start the vehicle. It was a bitter cold evening and the temperature was approximately 3 degrees. When I tried to start the car, the key icon showed up on the left hand side of the instrument panel and the steering was locked and push button ignition did not start the car. The brake pedal was very stiff and did not "give" when depressed. Also, I couldn't get the car to shift to neutral to move it when my husband arrived to see if he could determine the problem. I had the vehicle towed to a repair shop and they said it is a Nissan problem and the part is on an extended warranty because of the well-known and ongoing issues. I am in the process of having the car towed to my Nissan dealer to have them inspect it and repair it. They are instructed to search for any recalls or warranty when entering the VIN number. I've searched the internet and it seems like a very common issue. Even the towing company driver said he tows about 3-5 Nissan a week with the same issue and it's very common, as it happens all of the time. I'm hoping they have this part on recall or have it listed on an extended warranty repair. My 2009 Maxima has 37,000 miles on it.

- Lemont, IL, USA

Feb 012014

Maxima 6-cyl

The engine would not turn over or start and the steering wheel is locked. A small yellow key appears on the left side of the left instrument dial. The intelligent key does not engage. Web research indicates probable steering lock failure. The car was towed to nearest Nissan dealer today Feb. 5 who confirmed that steering lock has failed. The dealer service personnel tells me the replacement part is on back order, none of the other dealers in the Washington DC area have one. Technically it may not be a safety problem requiring a recall but if you had this problem on the shoulder of an interstate highway or sitting on the tracks at a railroad crossing it could be very dangerous. Now we will need some experience in order to trust the car to operate correctly in a safe manner. I am glad we have another car that is working correctly.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 282014

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2009 Nissan Maxima will not start. The yellow key light on the left comes on briefly. I had it towed to a repair shop and was told it is the steering column lock module. Part is not available due to a high failure rate.. the dealer, repair shop and the tow truck driver all noted this is happening frequently. This was also confirmed by some internet research. I think a nationwide recall is in order. Drivers are being stranded with no warning.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 282013

Maxima

Warranty just expired after 5 years. Few months later, the telescoping steering wheel started making grinding noises and will not telescope back and forth unless I manually push or pull hard. Got quoted $850 for a repair, but I refused to pay that much to get it fixed as it is not my fault. I see many 2009 Nissan having this problem and I am extremely disappointed in the manufacturer to not recall this! this might be my last Nissan as I already had 3 Nissan batteries, my alternator replaced and my driver's seat frame replaced! I can't wait until my car loan is paid off!

- Imperial Beach, CA, USA

Jan 132014

Maxima 6-cyl

Steering wheel motor started grinding and locked in the lowest position difficult to steer in that position until fixed called Nissan and they said there was no campaign, extended warranty, or problem they know of. They admitted to extended warranty on push button ignition replaced motor at a cost of $420 Nissan is ignoring the hundreds of complaints I have seen on the internet forums, problem occurring in 2009 Maximas and muranos. The dealership said they replace 2-3 a week. If it is true, at every dealership it is about 40 % of all Maximas sold in 09 have the bad motor which costs $189. Nissan needs to cover the cost for this defective motor !!!!!! the start button and steering column are related parts !!!!!!!

- Trumbull, CT, USA

Jan 152014

Maxima

My 2009 Nissan Maxima will not start. The yellow key light on the left comes on briefly. I had it towed to the dealership and was told it is the steering column lock module and that it will cost over $900 to repair, not to mention over $100 for the diagnostic exam. I don't feel consumers should have to pay for a problem that they have not caused. It's apparent that this is happening frequently according to the research I have done. I feel that Nissan should pay this cost.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jan 102014

Maxima

I parked and went into local post office. Got back in my car and it wouldn't start. Tried to get a jump and was told nothing was wrong with battery, doors unlocked, lights came on and hazard lights worked. Called local Nissan dealership and explained to service gentleman what was going on and he immediately told me the steering lock release had gone out and I needed to have the car towed to the dealership. Three days later the service gentleman called me and told me it was indeed the steering lock release that'd gone out and it was $775 + tax to get it fixed. I'm baffled because my car is my only means of transportation and I can't believe that the end result is that I have to pay for this. The car will not work without this release switch being replace and I don't have the money to get it fix so what now am I to do. I began to read upon this issue and see it's an ongoing problem with '09 Maximas and it has been recalled on other such Nissan vehicles. I think Nissan should take the responsibility for this and recall this part for its customers. This is unbelievable and also not covered under warranty.

- Violet, LA, USA

Jan 072014

Maxima 6-cyl

My wife parked the car on Monday night, and the next day when she tried to start it, nothing would happen, like it wasn't registering the key fob. So I went to the car and I tried to start it, and I noticed that I could turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, and all the way to the right. The steering wheel lock isn't working. After researching this problem on the internet, I found out that this is a common problem with an expensive fix that has to be fixed by the dealership. The problem with that is that we live 2 hrs from the nearest dealership, and on top of the lock being replaced, we will have to pay around $200 to have it towed. I'm thankful that my wife was here at the house when this happened, and not out somewhere with our new born daughter considering it has been below 0 degrees here the past few days.

- Cannel City , KY, USA