2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 transmission problems: surges and jerks

Surges And Jerks

2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 has an early trend of the transmission shifting hard, surging & jerking.

At the moment these trucks are still under warranty. However this transmission problem shows up right away with the average reported mileage only around 3,000 miles, so for now the 2017 Silverado earns our "Beware of the Clunker" badge.

2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 152017

Silverado 1500 LT All Star 5.3L

I have the 6 speed transmission in this Silverado. From day one it has never shifted smoothly. It seems to get confused when slowing down to make a turn. It hunts for the right gear to slam into. I have read just about every post about this and it seems I am not alone. I'm at the point where I want to flash this POS transmission with a Diablo Tuner and take a chance with the warranty.

I watched a video from a guy with the same truck. He commented that his new truck is absolutely miserable to drive and wanted to know what GM was thinking when they designed this transmission tune. He then flashed his transmission with a Diablo Tuner. He couldn't believe the improvement with the new tune. Shift points were higher at around 2000 RPM. No more lugging the engine as well as smoother shifts.

- Fred S., East Northport, NY, US

Jan 032018

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

Purchased 2017 Silverado 5.3 w/8 speed auto on Dec 20 2017. At approx 535 miles, transmission began shifting hard at speed under 15 miles per hour, included a "clunk" similar to a universal joint going bad. Problem exists with both up shift and down shift. At 2066 miles truck started to surge as I slowed to stop. A heavy clunk and surge gave me the impression I was hit from behind. I stopped at selling dealer and service advisor assured me that this transmission had a "learning" curve that adjusted to my driving habits and i should drive for 10,000 miles to allow the system to "learn" my habits. Deciding that sounded like a great story I Googled for Silverado's with 8 speed transmission issues and found more than I cared to.

I have seen all the complaints and concerns but no solution from GM. I fear I have invested a bunch of money into a disaster. Having owned over 7 GM products over 57 years I am disappointed with this one.That said I'm heading back to dealer today.

Any GM service people monitoring this or anyone that has a definitive solution I'd appreciate a reply.

- Gary L., Cumming, US

Feb 042018

Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2

$62,000.00 truck including the new CORSA 3.5" exhaust and COLD AIR INDUCTIONS sealed cold air intake box. This truck shifts horribly throughout the 1-2 shift and especially the 2-3 shift. How can these 8 speed transmissions function this poorly. I had a 2012 AUDI Q7 S-LINE with over 110K miles on it. The 8 speed transmission worked flawlessly the entire time I owned it. Every single shift whether flooring it or accelerating as slowly as humanly possible, were seamless and exuded quality engineering and workmanship. How can this transmission shift as poorly as it does with only 4637 miles on my truck. GM big wigs need to start taking some pride and responsibility in their most profitable and best selling vehicle that they sell.

- 98supra6spd, YPSILANTI, Michigan, United States

Oct 012016

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

I have had my truck into the dealer, Len Lyall Chevrolet, twice and they tell me that they can't find anything wrong. The transmission hesitates that could cause an accident when pulling out into traffic. It also slips when cold and pulling into my driveway causing the truck to lunge forward. This happens daily since I purchased the truck.

- stevil, Aurora, US

Jan 102018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Took back to dealer on 1-19-18, reprogrammed tcm again, did not fix.

- stuntman350454, Wagener, US

Jan 192018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Picked truck up from dealer, drove it one mile, still doing the same thing. They did not fix problem, still have my truck. Gave me an 18 Silverado to drive while repairs are being made to mine, it does the the same thing as my truck and only has 2200 miles! Very aggravated!

- stuntman350454, Wagener, US

Aug 022017

Silverado 1500 V8

Transmission surges when I first start car in morning and back up. Then problem stops with a occasional surge.

Dealer has truck trying to duplicate problem. Problem is erratic.,

Dealer seems to be aware there is a problem with Chevrolet transmissions and is trying to duplicate problem.

Stated that GM states if there is a 3 second delay on surge they recognize it as a issue.

dealer stated they replaced one transmission with similar issues. Stated they knew there was a problem shifting but when they tore down old transmission they could not find issue.

Hope this is not like the Chevrolet A/C condenser issue with no parts and no factory recall where they re engineered condenser. Traded my 2014 Chev in because I had no air in the summer. Tried to buy a new Ford but it broke down on last test drive so I went back to Chevrolet

- John L., Akron, OH, US

Oct 012017

Silverado 1500 Z71 V8

Brand new Z71 1500 6 speed auto gas v-8. Transmission surges when cold and very hard downshift 2 to 1. Took back to Chevy Dealer who told me I had 'air in the trans' with a straight face. Told me to always shift to reverse before shifting to drive. Ridiculous answer. Still shifting hard & surging, dealer refuses to acknowledge after telling me they could replicate they now backtracked and printed me out a statement that they were unable to replicate. Straight up lied. Next truck will be an F250.

- 327vette, Sykesville, US

Jul 172017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

Bought a new Chevy 1500 LTZ Z71 (5.3L) with the 8 speed transmission in July. Within the first 1,000 miles notice that it shifts really hard from 1st to 2nd gear. Almost seems like it shifts way to early, especially at low speeds, particularly at parking lot speeds or in stop and go traffic. At low speeds it shifts so hard that the truck jerks and surges, and sometime it feels and sounds like the rear drive shaft is going to snap. Also almost every time when exiting a stop sign and turning into an intersection the transmission shifts so fast with a short hesitation giving the sensation of loosing power in the middle of the intersections, very unsettling. I have brought the truck back to the dealer twice to look at it and had a service tech ride with me to feel the problem. He stated that this was normal and needed to give the adaptive learning (if that's even a thing) time. Well I can tell you I have over 8,000 miles on this truck and the problem still exist. Hoping that GM will address this issue before the transmission goes. I have owned a Chevy truck all my life, I would expect a truck that cost $57,000 dollars to shift much smoother than this.

- nra1, Suamico, US

Dec 062017

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

I purchased a new 2017 Silverado 1500 LT. I was hesitant about purchasing a Chevy as my last 4 trucks have been Toyota's but I took a shot at a GM product and it's been both a mistake and a major red ass.

Like all the other complaints I'm having the issue when I'm coming to a stop or slowing down from 2nd-1st or 3rd-2nd. The truck is jumping or jerking and I'm hearing a loud clunking sound, metal to metal contact of some sort. feels like the transmission is grabbing gears improperly.

I called Nimnicht Chevrolet, my local dealer and asked the women who picked up the phone if she's been getting complaints about transmission issues. She said that they gets these complaints daily and that when they owners bring in their vehicles they leave being told that there's nothing wrong with their vehicles.

I'm going to schedule a service appointment and get them to take a look at it. I have a guy who works for me that just took his identical truck in and they told him that they are aware of the issue and that a nation wide study is being conducted on the issue but they aren't able to fix the problem because GM hasn't made a determination on how they want to handle the issue.

I's encourage anyone who is having this problem to keep taking their vehicles in and getting these complaints documented, squeaky wheel gets the grease. Let's hope that GM does right by their customers and takes care of this.

- Jon W., Orange Park, US

Sep 122017

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

the transmission jerk all the time between 45 and 50. been back to the dearler 5 times had the area rep take it for drive he scott said that it was ok, well its not. I want a smooth ride for 47000 the truck should ride smooth. it took me 4 hrs to buy this but 90 days later its still not fixed . so general motors is that how you are going to treat people that buy you cars and trucks ? so all you Silverado owner let get together and file all your problems with your 2017 Silverado. make general motors fix or replace our trucks

- Gary S., Windsor, US

Oct 122017

Silverado 1500 LTZ, Z71 6.2L V8

Truck hesitates when lightly accelerating from a rolling position, low mph, it will hesitate then jerk and slam into gear. The truck chokes and it feels like it is going to die while making turns in front of traffic or accelerating from a stop sign. Feels very unsafe.

I took it in to a dealership, they could not replicate the issue. I called to make another an appointment to have a service tech drive with me, he felt the issues and told me that Chevy hasn't released a bulletin to repair it, hooked it up and it showed no trouble codes. I plan on taking my truck to other dealerships in the area to see what they say. In the mean time what am I supposed to do?

- godfather, Chicago Heights, IL, USA

Oct 022017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

Bought it new from a dealer. I noticed it shortly after driving it for awhile when it shifts from 1st to 2nd or down shifting from 2nd to 1st, it would jerk really hard sometimes, but it doesn't do it all the time. It feels like got rear-ended. Concern what it will do to the transmission in a long term. Will bring that up when I take it in to the dealer for the first service.

After reading other posts, sounded like a similar issue/symptom with the transmission. Would like to know why it's doing it and get it fix before it breaks!

- clifft99, Eagan, US

Sep 302017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

As I come to a stop the vehicle surges forward and sometimes makes a clunking sound like metal to metal. Clunking sound also happens from a stop to moving forward as transmission first shifts. Sound is coming from underneath and rear of truck. This is an 8 speed transmission. Dealer said there are several service bulletins regarding the issue. Bulletin # 4748992 and 4694724. The bulletins state that this is "normal" and dealer should not attempt repair. I have owned 3 other Chevy Silverado's and never had this problem. Now have 2200 miles and still the same problem. Service Dept. said they could not duplicate issue when test driving. Bringing in for 2nd time with this issue and a few other minor issues like back seat aux plug not working and the charging pad for iphone not working.

- John B., Sacramento, US

Oct 052017

Silverado 1500 LT

I have a new 2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab with only 10,000 miles and the truck broke down on the freeway. I was going home on the freeway at 10 miles an hour when my car started jumping and jerking. This happened for a few seconds and then the truck could not longer accelerate . I was able to quickly merge to the shoulder. After waiting 5 hours for a tow truck driver provided by Chevy, they took it to the dealer to drop off overnight. I noticed when it was delivered there was transmission fluid pouring under the truck. The dealer informed me that they had to overhaul the whole transmission. I am concerned that being a new truck this is the 2nd time I had a major issue with a new truck. My 2015 Chevy Silverado had a major issue with the engine at 9,000 miles that had to be fixed. Since I wanted to trade the 2015 for the 2017 being it was a lemon, I ended up with another lemon! I am perplexed that Chevy markets their truck as being reliable!! I am going to have to completely disagree!! My next truck will not be a Chevy ever again. I can't imagine if I was towing up a mountain and it breaks down that could have been dangerous.

- bebs, Fullerton, US

Aug 202017

Silverado 1500

Took my Silverado to the dealer complaining about the transmission jerking from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1. They said it was how I was teaching the vehicle to drive. Seriously??!! I drive the vehicle the same way as I do all my cars and none of them jerk that way including my other Chevy. They said there was nothing they could do about it......

- dtorres, Gypsum, US

Aug 272017

Silverado 1500 LT Crew 5.3L

The truck has issues down shifting. It surges and has made metal to metal clunk noise more than once. It appears to be from 2nd to 1st. Very annoying, the lurch makes the truck feel like it is being pitched sideways almost. Now has 500 miles on it and I live 2 hours from the dealer so it is hard to drive by.

- lowinsure, Kailua Kona, US

Aug 152017

Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ V8

Only 3000 miles and the transmission has begun surging on down shift from 2nd to 1st, very slow, feels like I just got rear ended . Usually shortly after first start. Began looking on web sites and found this site where several others have complained about similar issues. I have been waiting until my first service to have it addressed. Don't know how the dealer will approach it but was looking for similar complaints and possible solutions to tell the dealer. If this is a common occurrence, as it appears it is, GM should address it. Keep you posted

- John G., Banning, US

Aug 222017

Silverado 1500 2LT 5.3L

thought gm had problems fixed with transmissions. should have bought a ford or dodge.

- Andy W., Ashland, US

Jun 102017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2L V8

There is a decent jerk when downshifting from either 2nd to 1st, or 3rd to 2nd. Usually happens somewhere around 10mph when coming to a stop and braking. Happens about 90-95% of the time.

- Frank E., Hillsborough, US