CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 has an early trend of the transmission shifting hard, surging & jerking.

At the moment these trucks are still under warranty. However this transmission problem shows up right away with the average reported mileage only around 3,000 miles, so for now the 2017 Silverado earns our "Beware of the Clunker" badge.

7.6

$3,880

2. replace torque converter (3 reports)
  3. replace transmisison (3 reports)
  4. keep full tank of gas (1 reports)
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 302021

Silverado 1500 LT V6

Bought the truck used with 88k. 3 weeks later at 89k the truck began to miss. Took it to the shop to find out it was the transmission. It threw a few codes, but then it would disappear. So pissed that the truck has less than 100k miles and is already having serious issues. I cannot afford this! I paid over 24k for this truck! Chaps my ass. Grr...

- Amy P., La Follette, TN, US

Jan 232021

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

This problem happened on vacation 600 miles from home. The transmission finally died 400 miles from home. We were almost hot multiple times on the side of the highway. Then my truck was left in north Texas for three weeks waiting to be fixed. Chevy only covered 800.00 of the 6,300.00 transmission replacement. I will never buy another Chevy again.

- Luke M., Huffman, US

Mar 092018

Silverado 1500

2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 started to make a "clunking" noise when moving from low speed to road speed. Took it to the dealership to tell them and they said nothing was wrong. Took it in 4 times for same complaint, and was told nothing was wrong. Suspect it's either the transmission or the U-Joints!

Now my truck is out of warranty and GUESS WHAT??? Yep, NNNOOOWWW they see the issue. WTH??? I will be calling the Chevy Customer Service number to file a complaint. I'm sure I will get some person in India who's name is George but can't speak a clear word of English!! I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A FORD!!!!

- Cynthia B., Palmer, US

Oct 222020

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

This truck is a trash heap! It will be the last GM product I own and they won't warranty anything on a know issue. This thing has 3 other issues total cost to fix $6400. I look forward to their bankruptcy headlines. Shout out to Tesla and Rivian - I will be looking to you most likely for my next truck.

- Chris B., New Hope, US

Jun 152020

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

My wife and I have noticed the jerking and surging since June. Sometimes we also hear a clunking noise underneath the vehicle. We are very concerned about the situation.Please keep us informed on any resolution on this problem.This is quite disconcerting.Thank you!

- Nestor S., Hagerstown, US

May 102020

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.8L V8

Have not paid for this one yet but now the transmission after being fixed the first time now completely slows down with only an engine light after being repaired the second time. It is currently in the shop which I am now angry because the first fix was supposed to fixed the transmission that I paid a lot of money for since the truck is out of warranty. Told Lena at Stonebriar Chevrolet I wasn't paying for the rental this time and she was to make this right as I look for a reliable vehicle going forward. I will never buy Chevrolet again because they don't back their craftsmanship in their product and I have owned five Hondas that got up to 300K miles on them before having the issues I have had with this one. DON'T BUY THE CHEVY SILVERADO IT IS A MONEY PIT AND BAD INVESTMENT.

- Chance G., Aubrey, US

Feb 292020

Silverado 1500 High Country 5.3L V8

Bought my 2017 Silverado used in March 2019. No issues for the first couple of weeks then started feeling the surges in the transmission. Did some research and found the TSB, reached out to the dealer for the fix. They did the “fix” and sent us on our way telling us that the transmission had to learn our driving habits. The surges never stopped. Took it to a different dealer for the service and went over the issue with them, they again did the “fix” (and scratched my truck in the process) and sent us on our way telling us it needed to learn our driving habits. Our service advisor did tell us that if after a couple hundred miles it was still doing it then we could bring it back and they would look into it further because they had to jump through some hoops to get to the ultimate fix for this issue. The torque converter. So fast forward to this past weekend, I take the truck back to the dealer for service and the transmission surges. Got a call from them this morning telling me that the reason for the transmission surges is because the truck was in auto 4wd. So it sounds like they are trying to pass the buck here and find excuses so they don’t have to fix it. I think it is bs that that is their excuse for it doing the surges. They said that after they switched it to 2wd they couldn’t get the truck to duplicate the issue.

Has anyone else been told that it was because it was in auto 4wd??

- bclerk, Buford, Ga, US

Oct 032019

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

Bought new Chevy 1500 Silverado on 6/30/17 and have a little less than 66,000 miles on the truck, transmission needs to be replaced and not covered under warranty. Cost is $3,000, truck has only towed something maybe 2-3 times, don't live in the mountains, don't live on a dirt road and have the truck serviced every 5,000 miles. If your transmission can't last longer that 2 years and 4 months you shouldn't be in the car business!!

- Tony H., Denver, US

Aug 302019

Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 5.3L V8 Ecotec3

I am a big GM fan and have several GM vehicles and trucks. Over the years GM's engine and transmissions have been the best...you all can keep your Ford's (can anyone really read the gauges!!!) and Dodge's (yeh they have the Cummins but don't you think they could make it more quiet, I mean we sent a man to the moon 50 years ago) The transmission on this truck has not been right from the beginning. Ditto to everything folks are reporting. When starting in the morning it will do one of three things: run normally, hesitate and then race or jump ahead, or chunk and thunk like it really doesn't want to go to work.

Changed fluids per GM recommendations. I have not had the higher speed issues, but it is definitely not right and definitely not up to GM standards. Recently have had the check engine light coming on and it is throwing a torque converter error code....sounds like the problem. Taking in next week for further examination and a potential reeming!!!! I fully expected to get the same run around everyone else is getting so I have not bothered to take it in. Figured it would run or break. Now that it is throwing a code, dealer has something to go by. Dealer is aware of the issues with this transmission and hopefully will make it right.

- Scott T., Clearfield, Pacific Islands (US)

May 292019

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Since my truck had 3000 miles on it. It always jerks and shifts hard. I have brought it in to the dealer about 6 times and they never find anything! The problem continues and I fully expect next oil change visit they will magically find the non warranty issue.

- Lawrence R., Edgewater, US

Jan 152018

Silverado 1500 High Country 6.2L

Transmission bumps in gear at low start speeds. Problem persists during start tow mode.

- Earl B., Hoschton, GA, US

Jun 052017

Silverado 1500 LT

Various dealerships told me that it’s not a problem, I assumed that it was normal. 91,800 miles later, a trip to Texas the transmission slipped so bad it would not drive. Stranded in Kansas City at a Dealership on Saturday afternoon.Still waiting to hear the cost to repair it.

- Tom A., Eldridge, IA, US

Nov 222016

Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 5.3L

My problem is like a lot of the other complaints that I've been reading. I purchased my 2017 LTZ Z71 with a 5.3 and 8 speed transmission in late 2016 and after driving it for a month or so I really started to notice surges and jerks mostly at low speeds and sometimes slowing down coming to a stop. The jerks sometimes feels like I got hit from behind. After several visits to the dealer and long discussions with service management, I was first told it had to learn my driving habits. Then I was told it is a characteristic of the transmission. I recently took it back and they replaced the transmission fluid and told me they were going to replace the torque converter early next year when the new design came out. So I guess have to just put up with it, I just don't know for how long.

Update from Aug 12, 2019: Even though I was told problem was from 2015 to present, I traded in my LTZ for a 2019 Trail Boss, I have 2000 miles on it and so far no problems, much happier with this truck.

- Rudy D., Corpus Christi, US

Sep 012017

Silverado 1500 High Countrys V8

click to see larger images

surges and jerks

I found hundreds of complaints about a transmission slip, bump feeling when starting to drive or slowing to a stop with no solutions or suggestions. Took it in last week for the third time and after hearing the previous 2 times that it was a "programming issue" they told me it might be the drive shaft.

When I went to pick it up at Chevy they told me the drive shaft was fine and gave me the following bulletin (#PIT5161F). Basically states that if you do not have a full or empty tank - the shifting in fuel can cause these characteristics. So here I am thinking that I have a $56,000 truck (high country 4x4) with no rear a/c and now I have to deal with a feeling of getting rear ended if I do not have a full tank of gas. Rear AC - my fault for not noticing...but not sure how GM thinks this gas tank issue is acceptable. Its a truck that weighs over 5,000 lbs and a couple hundred pounds of gas "shifting" can make it feel like it has transmission issues. Owned it about a year and has 15,000 miles on it. Wish I could just return it at this point.

- Brian S., Dallas, US

Dec 102018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Purchased a 2017 Certified Pre Owned. I have driven a lot of trucks in my time and i started to notice this one. Feels like the transmission is slipping and jerking. Took it to the dealership and I was surprised to hear that they actually saw the issue. They told me that they were going to reprogram the transmission. In the meantime I was driving a loaner 2019 Silverado and I didn't notice anything with it. I picked mine up and let the truck learn my habits but the problem is still there. After reading all these complaints I am starting to regret trading my Ram for this. Will be scheduling another appointment tomorrow.

- Todd M., Waxahachie, US

Dec 032018

Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2L

Same as others, new 2017 1500 Silverado, jerks, surges, during acceleration. Now and then I get a loud thud in the rear like I got rear-ended. Dealer first acted like they never heard of this issue but I confronted them with TSB bulletins and multiple complaints online. They finally flashed it a couple times and drove it about 50 miles. It seemed to get better after this. Then started acting the same.

Took truck in yesterday and they wouldn't even look at it. Service manager came out and said it's just the way the transmission works. He then said you have warranty coverage until 60k miles so don't worry. Total BS. Not what I expect from a dealer I've bought 3 trucks from 2014, 2015 and this 2017. And for a $54k truck.

- Ron A., Irving, US

Aug 012018

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

When I bought this truck off a lot over the summer, I asked the dealer why would anyone sell such a beautiful looking truck only after a year. Well owning this truck for the past 6 months I completely understand why. This thing shifts like a farm tractor going from 1-2 2-1. Taken it up to the dealership 5 times now with no resolution to the hard shift problem. They gave me the same story as everyone else has been getting, that it's normal for these trucks to shift like that. There is no way that its normal. I've owned many vehicles and driven other trucks that never sounded like that. A $45,000 truck should not be shifting like a bus. I really wanted to love this truck but this problem is driving me crazy. If GM doesn't come out with a fix for this soon I'm trading it in for a F150.

- David J., Revere, MA, US

Oct 212018

Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2L V8

Service Request Number: 8-3968027860 / GM Program# 2044120 / Document ID 4567465 Cracked clutch piston that causes a 1-2 upshift / downshift slipping and or flaring/ hunting issue that feels like you are bumped by another car from behind.

I have reached out to GM Customer Satisfaction and AutoNation Dealership West Austin multiple times to only get negative feedback if any. "Tony advised that he himself was able to duplicate the 1-2 shifting issue at low speeds. Solution: The transmission has been reprogrammed and or reset to factory specification in an effort to relearn my driving habits.I advised Tony yesterday that I hope that this resolved the issue but I am not confident that is will. Today my concern(s), is what caused the transmission not to learn my driving habit for stop and go traffic as explained below within 1100 miles? I don’t believe that stop and go traffic as explained below is considered as a “driving habit”. I am now at 21,000 miles and the issue is present with the low-speed-2 hunting issue. I finally got the service Manager Steve to acknowledge the SRN# above but was told that it was a recall on Silverado's before 2017 and manufactured in Mexico. I have been told by the AutoNation Service department that I must duplicate the issue in their presence before they are going to acknowledge there is an issue.

Research shows that my truck was manufactured in Mexico as well as the Fact sheet that was taped to the window when I purchased the truck, but I still cannot get them to fix the transmission issue. I am in the process of trying to purchase a gopro camera just to be able to video this issue. I joined this website because I saw there was an active lawsuit

Update from Jan 22, 2019: This issue happens every day when I leave work in stop and go traffic. I have noticed that it will happen on a decline more often than level ground between 8mph and 18mph upshift and downshifting with foot slightly on the gas or slight on the brake. It has also happened when I have slowly come to a stop from higher speeds. Despite this happening every day leaving work, I still cannot seem to duplicate it on demand.

Update from Jan 22, 2019: Not sure if the transmission temperature has anything to do with it considering that the issue is similar to older non-fuel injected cars when the transmission fluid is low and or hot / burned and thinned out causing the transmission to slip.

Update from Jan 28, 2019: Issue still with 1-2 upshift/ downshift

Update from Mar 26, 2020: I am currently over 36k miles now and still having the same issues with the transmission that started at 900 miles. Chevy refused to acknowledge that this could be the issue with the 8-speed transmissions as well as it has developed sputtering/ hesitation issues that possibly fuel injectors. Considering that I have only used 91 octanes or higher from Exxon, Chevon, and Costco gas stations it is a little hard to think that the injectors are clogging. I will update this site with what I find out about the sputtering but I was really hoping that this transmission issue being published on this site would somehow aid in getting GM to acknowledge a recall or just fix the issue with the transmission.

- Jason P., Austin, US

Nov 102017

Silverado 1500 High Country 5.3L

Took a lot of time but dealership in Madison Sd stuck with it and fixed it.

Update from Jan 25, 2019: New tranny put in at 25,500 miles by Chevy, worked fine until 27,500 miles, now jerk back at 2nd to 3rd up shift, and when coming down from 5th to 4th.

- Steve S., Chester, SD, US

Aug 092017

Silverado 1500 Z71 V8

This is same complaint that everybody has. Very irritating that a new truck has these issues and GM will not fix the concerns. Almost 50k for junk. They all say "could not duplicate concern. working as designed". REALLY! or "we can feel something and GM is working on an update of some kind, but don't know when it will be released". 2018 are out and have same issues so doubt they will ever fix. They should buy them all back!!!

- sbartman, Weirton, wv, US