- October 21: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit Filed by Police Officer news | 1 days ago
- October 18: Ford Recalls 1.3 Million F-150 and Super Duty Trucks recalls | 4 days ago
- October 17: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Recall Needed, Safety Group Says news | 5 days ago
- October 13: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fears Will Be Calmed news | 9 days ago
- September 27: Ford Recalls F-150, F-650 and F-750 Trucks in 3 Recalls recalls | 25 days ago
2001 Ford Escape
body / paint Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape body / paint Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- grille fell off1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body18
- NHTSA: Structure7
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door 5
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members: Underbody Shields3
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Tailgate 2
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members2
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door: Hinge And Attachments1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Trunk Lid 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.