- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 9 days ago
- September 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Investigation Upgraded investigations | 10 days ago
- September 12: Ford PowerShift Dual-Clutch Transmission Settlement Questioned news | 13 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls F-150 and Mustang Over Deadly Airbags recalls | 25 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls Explorer, Taurus and Police Interceptors recalls | 25 days ago
2001 Ford Escape
cooling system Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape cooling system Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- the cooling light stays on1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Cooling System5
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Cooling System: Fan1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Cooling System: Radiator ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.