- November 19: Feds Deny Ford and Mazda Petitions to Delay Takata Airbag Recalls news | 5 days ago
- October 27: Ford Fusion Loose Steering Wheel Bolts Investigated investigations | 28 days ago
- October 26: Ford Recalls Transit Vans After Reports of Fires recalls | 29 days ago
- October 26: Ford Recalls 2017 F-150 Over Transmission Problems recalls | 29 days ago
- October 25: Ford Recalls 2018 F-150 Trucks For Shift Lever Problems recalls | 30 days ago
NHTSA — Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission Control: Gas Recirculation Valve (Egr Valve) Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
- Crashes / Fires:
- 0 / 0
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 0 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 18 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
This data is from the NHTSA — the US gov't agency tasked with vehicle safety. Complaints are spread across multiple & redundant categories, & are not organized by problem.
So how do you find out what problems are occurring? For this NHTSA complaint data, the only way is to read through the comments below. Any duplicates or errors? It's not us.
exhaust system problem