2016 Ford Escape engine problems: stalls when driving

Stalls When Driving

2016 Ford Escape

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

2. throttle body replaced (2 reports)
2016 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Escape:

2016 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Jan 032017

Escape

SUV turns off, shakes violently. Loss of steering. Thanks fully this didn't happen on the freeway.nit has happened twice going about 50 mph. Taking to dealer.

- Terry G., BUCKEYE, AZ, US

Sep 272016

Escape SE

THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY NEW FORD ESCAPE SE. THE ONE I BOUGHT BRAND NEW AND HAVE ONLY HAD FOR 8 MONTHS. THE ONE BOUGHT FOR PEACE OF MIND AND SECURITY BECAUSE A NEW VEHICLE IS REASONABLY EXPECTED TO BE RELIABLE, RIGHT? I WAS ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A LEFT HAND TURN ACROSS 3 LANES OF TRAFFIC. WHEN I ACCELERATED TO GO, WARNING SIGNS AND SOUNDS STARTED GOING OFF IN MY CAR. IT LOST POWER AS I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF TURNING. IT SHOOK AND VIBRATED HORRIBLY. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS SCARED TO DEATH AS I COULD SEE THE TRAFFIC COMING AT ME AS I WAS STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 3 LANES LIKE A SNAIL. THE CAR WOULD BARELY MOVE. FORTUNATELY FOR ME I WAS CLOSE TO MY HOME AND WAS ABLE TO LIMP THERE. I COASTED INTO MY YARD AND TURNED THE KEY OFF. I WAS ABLE TO RESTART IT AND BACK IT INTO MY DRIVEWAY. HAD IT TOWED TO THE DEALERSHIP. I ALREADY KNEW IT WAS THE THROTTLE BODY AS I HAD RESEARCHED IT ON THIS WEBSITE. I ASKED WHAT THEIR "FIX" WAS GOING TO BE AS I HAD READ HERE THAT THEY ONLY WANT TO REPROGRAM THEM. SURE ENOUGH THAT'S WHAT I WAS TOLD THEY WOULD ONLY DO. I WAS CALLED THE NEXT DAY AND TOLD IT WAS "FIXED" AND READY TO GO. THE CAR RAN NORMAL FOR 1 DAY. I WENT TO LEAVE TO PICK MY DAUGHTER UP FROM SCHOOL AT 8:30 THURSDAY MORNING. I WAS DRIVING ALONG AND BOOM, HERE WE GO AGAIN. THE CAR LOST ALL POWER DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD WITH ALL THE WARNING SOUNDS AND MESSAGES GOING OFF. HOW. INFURIATING. I WAS ON MY WAY TO PICK UP MY CHILD AND HERE I WAS AGAIN WITH THIS NEW CAR TRYING TO GET BACK TO MY HOUSE SAFELY AGAIN. I HAD IT TOWED BACK TO THE DEALER, CAUGHT A RIDE WITH THE TOW TRUCK DRIVER AND HAD DISCUSSIONS WITH THE SERVICE MANAGER THIS TIME. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE OF FORD TO TREAT THEIR CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS. THEY KNOW THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THE THROTTLE BODY BUT APPARENTLY DON'T SEEM TO CARE ABOUT SAFETY AS MUCH AS THEIR BOTTOM LINE. I DO CONSIDER MYSELF LUCKY THAT I DIDN'T GET NAILED CRAWLING ACROSS A VERY BUSY ROAD. I RECIEVED A PHONE CALL THIS EVENING FROM THE SERVICE MANAGER SAYING THEY WERE NOW AUTHORIZED TO REPLACE THE THROTTLE BODY. THIS HAS BEEN A HUGE INCONVENIENCE TO MY FAMILY. SCRAMBLING TO FIND SOMEONE AT THE LAST MINUTE TO PICK UP YOUR CHILD BECAUSE YOUR BRAND NEW VEHICHLE CAN'T EVEN BE RELIED UPON. I HAVE BEEN FORTUNATE IN THAT I HAD BOUGHT THE PLATINUM WARRANTY SO THEY HAD TO GIVE ME A RENTAL. HOPEFULLY REPLACING THE THROTTLE BODY THIS TIME WILL MAKE IT RIGHT.

- L J., Lehigh Acres, FL, US

Jul 312016

Escape SE 2.0L

The vehicle began to violently shake and then stalled at an intersection. I couldn't get it to turn over, had to sit in the middle of the road and wait. The engine light came on and a message stated Engine Failure. I was able to get it home, only 2 miles away, but the incident continued to occur for those two miles. Super scary, so fortunate I was not on the freeway.

- 4867jill, Roseville, CA, US

Jul 012016

Escape

Purchased 18 2016 Escapes. Five have had this problem and Ford replaced the throttle body to resolve. One instance, it took 5 weeks to get the part.

- harmantx, Dallas, TX, US