- October 21: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit Filed by Police Officer news | 1 days ago
- October 18: Ford Recalls 1.3 Million F-150 and Super Duty Trucks recalls | 4 days ago
- October 17: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Recall Needed, Safety Group Says news | 5 days ago
- October 13: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fears Will Be Calmed news | 9 days ago
- September 27: Ford Recalls F-150, F-650 and F-750 Trucks in 3 Recalls recalls | 25 days ago
2003 Ford Explorer
accessories - interior Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2003 Explorer accessories - interior Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- door ajar light comes on all the time53
- power lock fails9
- visor jammed and cracked6
- instrument panel malfunctioning4
- back up sensor malfunction3
- fuel gauge is inaccurate3
- seat heat not working3
- 4x4 high light flashes2
- cracked door panels2
- gear shift lever broke off in my hand2
- gear shifter jams2
- plastic trim breaking2
- cd player not working properly1
- control for mirrors not working1
- cruise control not working1
- defective stereo1
- failure to shift out of park1
- gauges don't work during warm weather1
- interior door panel top is fading1
- low fuel warning light stopped working1
- mirror light stopped working1
- seat leather tears1
- seat memory doesn't work1
- turn signal not working1
- unable to calibrate compass1
- uncomfortable seat head rest1
- visor fabric tuck issue1
- visor vanity cover broke off1
- wood grain trim breaking loose1
- NHTSA: Seats5
- NHTSA: Equipment2
- NHTSA: Equipment: Electrical2
- NHTSA: Seats: Front Assembly: Power Adjust2
- NHTSA: Seats: Mid/Rear Assembly2
- NHTSA: Child Seat: Harness1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Instrument Panel1
- NHTSA: Equipment: Electrical: Nav System (GPS)1
- NHTSA: Interior Lighting1
- NHTSA: Seats: Front Assembly: Recliner1
- NHTSA: Seats: Front Assembly: Seat Heater/Cooler1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.