- October 16: Ford Ranger Recall: HVAC Blower Motor Fire Risk recalls | 2 days ago
- October 15: Ford MPG Lawsuit Alleges Fuel Economy Ratings Are Wrong news | 3 days ago
- October 4: Ford Escapes Added to Seatback Recliner Recall recalls | 14 days ago
- October 4: 2020 Ford Explorer Recalled For Wiring Harness Problems recalls | 14 days ago
- October 4: Ford F-Series Super Duty Trucks Recalled For Axle Problems recalls | 14 days ago
Catalytic Converter Plugged
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 96,000 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 1 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace catalytic converter through local garage (1 reports)
exhaust system problem