- October 27: Ford Fusion Loose Steering Wheel Bolts Investigated investigations | 21 days ago
- October 26: Ford Recalls Transit Vans After Reports of Fires recalls | 22 days ago
- October 26: Ford Recalls 2017 F-150 Over Transmission Problems recalls | 22 days ago
- October 25: Ford Recalls 2018 F-150 Trucks For Shift Lever Problems recalls | 23 days ago
- October 22: Ford Explorer Class-Action Settlement Awaits Appeal Court news | 26 days ago
Wheel Bearings Bad
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 2 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 84,058 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 53 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace wheel bearing (25 reports)
- relace both front wheel bearings (11 reports)
- not sure (4 reports)
- replace bearings assembly hub (4 reports)
- Replace wheel bearings and rims (4 reports)
- replace wheel bearings & rear axle (3 reports)
wheels / hubs problem