- September 18: Ford F-150 Master Cylinder Problems Cause Huge Lawsuit news | 0 days ago
- September 13: Ford Recalls Edge and Lincoln MKX For Faulty Door Bolts recalls | 5 days ago
- September 7: Ford Recalls Edge, Flex, Lincoln MKX and Lincoln MKT recalls | 11 days ago
- September 6: Ford Recalls 2 Million F-150s After 17 U.S. Fires recalls | 12 days ago
- September 3: Ford Transmission Lawsuit Includes Fiesta and Focus Cars news | 15 days ago
Wheel Bearings Bad
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 3 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 84,100 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 53 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace wheel bearing (25 reports)
- relace both front wheel bearings (11 reports)
- not sure (4 reports)
- replace bearings assembly hub (4 reports)
- Replace wheel bearings and rims (4 reports)
- replace wheel bearings & rear axle (3 reports)
wheels / hubs problem