- October 13: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fears Will Be Calmed news | 3 days ago
- September 27: Ford Recalls F-150, F-650 and F-750 Trucks in 3 Recalls recalls | 19 days ago
- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 30 days ago
- September 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Investigation Upgraded investigations | 31 days ago
- September 12: Ford PowerShift Dual-Clutch Transmission Settlement Questioned news | 34 days ago
Rear Timing Chain Broke
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 133,667 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 3 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (2 reports)
- new engine (1 reports)