- October 22: Ford Explorer Class-Action Settlement Awaits Appeal Court news | 1 days ago
- October 21: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit Filed by Police Officer news | 2 days ago
- October 18: Ford Recalls 1.3 Million F-150 and Super Duty Trucks recalls | 5 days ago
- October 17: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Recall Needed, Safety Group Says news | 6 days ago
- October 13: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fears Will Be Calmed news | 10 days ago
Whooping Sound From Rear End
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- No data
- Average Mileage:
- 38,667 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 3 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (2 reports)
- tsb 05-23-3 (1 reports)