- October 16: Ford F-250 and F-350 Tailgates Opening Without Warning investigations | 4 days ago
- October 12: Ford F-150 Brake Pedals Go to the Floors: Lawsuit news | 8 days ago
- October 10: Ford GT Recall Issued After Car Catches Fire recalls | 10 days ago
- October 10: Ford Fiesta and Focus Owners in Thailand Win PowerShift Case news | 10 days ago
- October 7: Ford Water Pump Class-Action Lawsuit Says Engines Fail news | 13 days ago
2006 Ford Explorer
Crash Test Safety Ratings
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.