- November 19: Feds Deny Ford and Mazda Petitions to Delay Takata Airbag Recalls news | 1 days ago
- October 27: Ford Fusion Loose Steering Wheel Bolts Investigated investigations | 24 days ago
- October 26: Ford Recalls Transit Vans After Reports of Fires recalls | 25 days ago
- October 26: Ford Recalls 2017 F-150 Over Transmission Problems recalls | 25 days ago
- October 25: Ford Recalls 2018 F-150 Trucks For Shift Lever Problems recalls | 26 days ago
2006 Ford Explorer
Crash Test Safety Ratings
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.