- September 26: Honda Ridgeline Bed Cover Recall Issued recalls | 4 days ago
- September 8: Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 22 days ago
- September 2: Honda Settles Takata Airbag Charges For $85 Million news | 28 days ago
- August 5: Honda Recalls Odyssey, Passport and Pilot Vehicles recalls | 56 days ago
- August 5: Honda Odyssey Recall: Rearview Camera Failures recalls | 56 days ago
2003 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially was replacing the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
2003 Honda Accord Engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Excessive Oil Consumption64
- Engine Went Out12
- Excessive A/C Engine Drag4
- Caught On Fire Without Warning3
- Stretched Timing Chain3
- Sudden Unintended Acceleration3
- Clicking Noise When Idling2
- Motor Mounts Failed Prematurely2
- O2 Sensor Went Out2
- Check Engine Light On1
- Died While Idling1
- Engine Light Blinking1
- Engine Quits At Stoplight In Gear1
- Oil Pan Leaking1
- Piston Slap1
- Rear Main Seal Leak1
- Very High Idle On Hot Days1
- Vibrations When Idling1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control65
- NHTSA: Engine48
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling41
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine15
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal10
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control4
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: Belts And Associated ...2
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.