- December 14: Honda Recalls Pilot and Ridgeline Due To Airbag Problems recalls | 2 days ago
- December 11: Research Shows GM's Forward Crash Warning Systems Work news | 5 days ago
- December 4: Honda Recalls Civic Hatchback and Civic Type R Cars recalls | 12 days ago
- November 20: Honda Odyssey Power Sliding Door Problems Cause Recall recalls | 26 days ago
- November 16: Honda Recalls HR-V, Odyssey and Acura MDX For Brake Problems recalls | 30 days ago
2004 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
2004 Honda Accord Engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Engine Burning Excessive Oil9
- Engine Burns Excessive Oil & Engine Seizes6
- Belt Tensioner Loose3
- Excessive Vibration When Idling3
- Clanking Noise When Idle2
- Engine Stalls/Dies While Driving2
- Motor Mounts Need Replacement2
- Timing Chain Broke Causing Significant Engine Damage2
- Burning Oil Smell With Ticking Noise1
- Cam Sensor And Crank Seal Leaking1
- Check Engine Light On1
- Engine Knocking1
- Engine Tapping Noise1
- Spark Plug Dropped Into Cylinder & Destroyed Engine1
- Unintended Acceleration1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control49
- NHTSA: Engine23
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling16
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine8
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal4
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.