- May 29: Honda Clarity Fuel Cell Recall Issued For Water Pumps recalls | 18 days ago
- May 29: Acura and Honda Vehicles Recalled Again Over Takata Airbags recalls | 18 days ago
- May 28: Honda Civic and CR-V Oil Dilution Warranties Extended news | 19 days ago
- May 23: 2019 Honda CR-Vs Recalled After 3 Drivers Injured By Airbags recalls | 24 days ago
- May 9: Honda Civic Electric Parking Brake Problems Lead to Lawsuit news | 38 days ago
2004 Honda Accord
Crash Test Safety Ratings
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.