- March 12: Honda and Acura Recall 1.1 Million Vehicles Over Takata Airbags recalls | 8 days ago
- February 14: 437,000 Honda and Acura Vehicles Recalled For Fuel Pumps recalls | 34 days ago
- February 10: 2015 Honda CR-V Vibration Lawsuit Settlement Approved news | 38 days ago
- February 8: Honda Ridgeline Recalled To Replace Fuel Pumps and Covers recalls | 40 days ago
- December 22: Honda Clarity Fuel Cell Recall Ordered For 1,082 Cars recalls | 88 days ago
2004 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 11)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 110,100 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 208 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (67 reports)
- paid for a new transmission (47 reports)
- replace transmission (39 reports)
- complete rebuild (15 reports)
- honda paid partial "goodwill repair" (15 reports)
- fixed with new warranty from transmission specialty shop (9 reports)