- March 28: Honda Side Mirrors Can Fall Off, Recall Announced recalls | 2 days ago
- March 26: Honda Civic Sticky Steering Wheel Complaints Cause Investigation investigations | 4 days ago
- March 15: Honda Seat Belt Buckle Recall Includes 500,000 Vehicles recalls | 15 days ago
- February 7: Honda Fit and Honda HR-V Recalled Over Backup Camera Images recalls | 51 days ago
- February 3: Exploding Airbag Warning: Stop Driving 2001-2003 Honda Vehicles recalls | 55 days ago
2004 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 11)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 109,950 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 207 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (67 reports)
- paid for a new transmission (46 reports)
- replace transmission (39 reports)
- complete rebuild (15 reports)
- honda paid partial "goodwill repair" (15 reports)
- fixed with new warranty from transmission specialty shop (9 reports)
- No one has added a helpful site for this 2004 Accord problem yet. Be the first!
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
The car keeps going after its been put in park.The gears are not catching to allow increases in speed. The car has a recall on the transmission at the NHTSA website but the Honda representative said its not on my specific car. But its the exact problem.
- Sharaka M., Little Rock, AR, US