2010 Honda Accord engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2010 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 6)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Honda Accord has a solid reputation (so far), with one very significant flaw: uncomfortable seats.

Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight.

The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.4

2. Honda replacing engine (12 reports)
  3. pistons and rings replaced (9 reports)
  4. replace engine or take car back (7 reports)
  5. rebuilt engine (2 reports)
  6. replace ignition coil (1 reports)
2010 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Accord:

2010 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jan 012015

Accord EX 2.4

My Honda burns a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles. The oil light must not work because I almost ran it dry between my 3000 oil change and no indicator came on. not sure if the engine was damaged. It only has 90,000 miles.

- , Chanhassen, MInnesota, US

Dec 212017

Accord EX V6

This problem first occurred on 7/13/17. I change the oil every 5,000 (synthetic), The check engine light came on around 4800 miles since the previous oil change. The oil level was very low. On 12/21/17, the check engine light came on with less than 4000 since the previous oil change. In both cases the oil was very low. This problem seems to be getting worse with each oil change. I recently found out that this is a known with problem with V6 Hondas.

- , Smithfield, US

Dec 072017

Accord EX V6

Major oil consumption problem. Honda has class action suit. Just opened complaint with Honda. This engine is defective. Need them to replace engine.

- , Mission Viejo, US

Dec 132016

Accord EX V6

I bought this 2010 Honda Accord EX V6 used in March of 2015. I have always used synthetic oil in this vehicle. The problem began two oil changes ago. I always have the oil changed at 5,000 miles. The first occurrence was on 12/13/16. The engine oil was very low when the routine oil change was performed. The check engine light went on again on 12/21/17. I brought to my regular auto service center (North Providence Tire & Auto). It had only been 4,000 miles since the last oil change. The oil was changed again on this date. The frequency of oil loss is getting shorter and this is why I am filing this complaint.

- , Smithfield, RI, US

Oct 202017

Accord EX-L V6

This is second time that I have a problem with spark plug fowling due to the excessive oil consumption. The engine uses excessive oil with no indication of any leakage at all. After I researched the issue on line I found that is was a major problem for a lot of Honda owners and that there had been a Class Action Lawsuit filed which included about 1,593,755 vehicles with the same problem. Honda issued Technical Service Bulletin (TSB # 11-033) in july of 2001 but still denied the problem was their fault. The class action suit appears to have been settled quietly by Honda in October 2012. I'm looking for recourse to get reimbursed for the spark plug replacements and consideration under the class action lawsuit. Not a very happy Honda owner anymore.

Update from Jan 4, 2018: Dealer replaced the short block due damage in one cylinder, along with the spark plugs. Reworked engine appears to be performing normal. Have had it back for about two weeks.

- , Aberdeen, MD, US

Oct 152015

Accord V6

I've had other Honda automobiles. None have ever used oil and I had over 250,000 miles on an '84 CRX before trading. Current car uses 2+ quarts every 4-5000 miles and there is no leak, just consumption - black exhaust pipes. I do not notice smoke but there must be some.

Have just reported problem to Grainger Honda, Savannah, GA while having the air bag recall accomplished and having the HVAC control motors replaced. Grainger suggested running an oil consumption test which I agreed to have done. The engine oil has been changed and Grainger will check the consumption at 1000 mile intervals.

Until I went on-line to check the consumption issue I was unaware that it was a big problem with the newer Honda cars.

- , Allenhurst, US

Oct 272017

Accord EX 2.4L Inline 4

I bought this car in September 2009 brand new, drove for 7 years without any trouble except recently for the last couple of months it started taking too much oil. I had to top up every 1500 KM. Richmond Hill Honda advised that this is a manufacturer defect and they replaced the pistons. But also advised that i should replace Timing Chain, 4 gears and VTC actuator.

I agreed and spent almost CAD $1500.00 extra along with warranty replacement. Got these fixed in 4 days and so far this went good. But awful things happened after that. I drove for on a week - when i heard loud grinding noise (like metal rod hitting the container). I Had to tow my car to the dealership and they said that the Crank Shaft bearing was broken and I have to pay for it - while at the time of replacement, they did not give any warning - charged me for another CAD $700.00.

Now today they called back and that even after replacing the bearings, its making the same noise - because the Crank Shaft is shot!!!! they will have to machine the Crank Shaft (charged me another CAD$250.00) - not replace, because the replacement won't be covered by Honda Motors. And these all happened because of oil starvation i.e. excessive burn of oil. Which is originally a manufacturer defect. I really don't know what else they will charge me for. I am really concerned of the quality or parts and service here.

This would be the last Honda vehicle in my life!!!!

- , Whitby, ON, Canada

Nov 052017

Accord EX-L V6

The car sputtered and the engine light came on. Took car to Goodyear who indicated it was down 2 quarts in a month, and they could not find any leaks. Checked Car Complaints and noticed a service bulletin issued by Honda. Took car to dealer who ran a diagnostic and also could not find a leak. We requested they do the software update as the car was identified as not having had it performed. They wanted to do the oil consumption test first. We were not comfortable with that because our daughter drives the car. So we asked if they would replace the engine if it runs out of oil? Software update completed. Still doing the consumption test to see if the update 'fixed' the problem. If not, it may be a 'ring' issue. Stay tuned!

Update from Jan 11, 2018: OK, since the software update (which the dealer did for free), there has been no 'excessive' oil consumption. It appears that was the 'fix'.

- , Los Angeles, US

Nov 022016

Accord LX 2.4L

In 2016 I got a grinding noise from the engine a couple of times and found out that dipstick didn't show any oil. I took it to dealership when the service was due and they told me that oil was low and started the oil consumption check. I had to visit the dealership every 1000 miles to show how much oil is consumed and every time I was told that 1/2 quart consumption is okay and they used to refill it without a charge. They completed the oil consumption check in June 2017.

On 10/22/2017 at 50% oil level on my dashboard, I checked my dipstick and found out barely a peck of oil at the end of dipstick and the level was way below the lowest dot marked on the dipstick. I took it to dealership and called Honda but nothing happened.

I paid for the oil to be added and waiting for resolution from Honda.

- , El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Jun 072016

Accord EXL 3.5L V6

I bought a Honda because they are supposed to be reliable, what a crock of sh*t! It burns 2 quarts of oil between every oil change. I've replaced the spark plugs twice in 16 months and the catalytic converter in the front bank needs to be replaced also. Honda V6 is a piece of sh*t! :(

- , New Franklin, US

Dec 012016

Accord LX 4 cyl

My 2010 Honda accord is burning oil. The oil will be so low that it does not register when tested using the dipstick after about 1200 miles. Yet, no light turns on to indicate an issue. The car begins to make a grinding noise when the oil is low. I've been advised to use high mileage oil and to get my oil changed every 3000 miles instead of the recommended 5000. I have taken these actions without resolution.

- , Morrisville, PA, US

May 022017

Accord EXL V6 Navigation V6

This car is still under the 8 year, 120,000 mile warranty I purchased on 9/17/09. Honda changed the oil and started an oil consumption test every 1,000 miles. As of 8/28/17, tests showed usage of 1/4 qt., 1/2 qt, 1/2 qt., and 1/2 qt. I have asked for the permanent repair a couple of times, but the dealership insists that the oil usage is normal even though there is no prior history that this car has used oil. All service/repairs were made by the dealership, and records do not mention oil consumption. I appealed to McConnel Honda's service manager and opened a case with Honda America. Both the service manager and Honda America representative insist that there is NOT a repair needed. The service manager told me that usage of up to 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles is expected and normal. Further, he said that the owners manual stated that oil needed to be added. I referred to my owners manual and found no such reference. I asked for the pages referenced and a copy of Honda's official oil consumption policy. Neither request was honored.

Kim and Steven at Honda America corroborated the message that oiled consumption of up to 1 quart per thousand miles was normal. When I asked Kim for a written policy regarding this statement, she said that Honda's policy was NOT a written one. She closed my case because she considered the inquiry over. My research tells me that the fix has to do with piston rings--most likely an engine rebuild, Honda is cheating me by not honoring the warranty I purchased from them. I get that cars have problems. It's Honda's responsibility to fix the problem when a warranty was purchased. Sigh....

On another note, I have a friend who has a 2009 EXL V-6 Honda with about 150,000 miles. She does not have oil consumption issues.

- , Wetumpka, US

Mar 202017

Accord LX 4 Cillendar

My 2010 Honda Accord is burning excessive oil. At 44,298 miles the engine oil light came on and the oil dip stick showed barely any oil (just the tip of the dipstick). I took it to the dealership and they made me pay for an oil change with them and said it is normal to burn 1quart of oil per 1000 miles. They started an oil consumption test and when I got home and checked, they had overfilled the oil, way beyond the dipsticks fill line.

- , Portage, MI, USA

Sep 062017

Accord ES 1.9L 4 cyl

I'm reporting this particular incident, oil a quart low with 50% oil life indicated on dash, however, it has occurred several times in the past. It seems the engine consumes oil faster than the usage indicator monitors oil life. I feel that this offers a false sense of security to the owner. I change oil well before the oil life cage expires but have been adding a quart at 50% oil life for some time now. If a person did only watch the oil monitor on the dash, she might up ruining the engine.

- , Belle Vernon, US

Jul 012016

Accord LX-P 2.4L

My car needs an oil change after driving, city commute only, 1500 miles!! I believe this is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous and Honda needs to do something about this! I received a letter from Honda America saying that the Piston Rings need to be changed due to high oil consumption. My vehicle needs this and it isn't qualified. Instead of burning all oil at 1,000 miles, how isn't 1,500 miles close enough?! I've about HAD it with Honda and I'll never consider or recommend Honda to anyone!

- , Omaha, US

May 042017

Accord EX-L 2.4L V4

The only solution they've offered is to do an oil consumption test. I've been adding anywhere between 1/2 quart to whole quart of oil per week. Waiting for the issue to be resolved.

- , Silver Spring, US

Jun 012017

Accord LX 4cly

A CLASS Action lawsuit needs to be started for this problem.

- , Trenton, US

Oct 102014

Accord V4

This car began using a lot of oil the first few months I owned it. It is only a four cylinder so I don't see it in the lawsuit info. But I went back to Honda dealer several times. They have done oil consumption check repeatedly only to say it is okay that the amount of oil is not a problem. Even when the dipstick showed no oil more than once at the dealer and even when the oil light was on. Truly ridiculous. Honda corporation suggested more than once that Stockton Honda or Tracy Honda do the repairs needed, yet both dealers refuse to do the work and say the oil consumption is okay.

- , Stockton, US

May 012015

Accord EXL V6

Found there was next to nothing for oil at last two oil changes on my 2010 Accord. Have to keep adding oil, due to excessive oil consumption. When I first mentioned to Honda dealership they started to allude to the fact that this was a known problem but the manager just said I would get nowhere complaining to Honda about it because they would even end up saying that if you don't check your oil at every fill up then you don't have a leg to stand on. Thanks for the help, guy! I took it to a mechanic friend and he did some research and found that this is a known problem with certain Hondas. H suggested switching from synthetic to regular oil and he found no leaks and checked the PCV valve too and found it to be ok. We did what Honda suggested - a hot oil flush. Just want to get rid of this car now and am disillusioned with Honda now.

- , Gibbons, AB, Canada

May 012017

Accord EX-L V6

They (Honda) dealership says a quart of oil consumed every 1000 miles "normal." Say what. Upgraded PCM, changed plugs. Say it's fixed. What crap.

- , Tiverton, RI, US