2013 Honda Accord electrical problems: starter failure

Starter Failure

2013 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 6)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013-2014 Honda Accord is showing signs of an electrical problem with the starter failing soon after the 36K mile warranty expires. It's compounded by reports that the OEM battery doesn't have sufficient amps to start the V6 reliably after a year or two.

For now we are rating this problem with the "Beware" seal because it's occurring so soon after the 36K mile warranty expires. The upshot is when your Accord won't start, that's never good, but especially bad when it's just a few years old.

Also once again, owners are complaining that the 2013 Honda Accord seats are uncomfortable. Uncomfortable seats has been a significant complaint with the Accord since the 2008 model year.

7.9

$620

1. replaced the starter (59 reports)
  3. dealer replaced the starter (15 reports)
  4. replace starter (11 reports)
  5. replace starter, flexplate, rotate torque converter (2 reports)
  6. dealer replaced the starter which fixed the problem (1 reports)
2013 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Accord:

2013 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Aug 192019

Accord EX 3.2L V6

This is the second time I replaced my starter in less than a year!!!!!!! Pissed off.

- Artamise L., Alexandria, US

Dec 012016

Accord V6

I have a 2013 Honda Accord V6; purchased new in 2013. First my battery goes when I have less then 30K on the car; then a terrifying experience when my power steering goes out while I'm out driving (clients in the car as I'm a real estate agent) and now my starter. All in a car that is less then 5 years old and has less then 55K on it. When the battery went, I replaced. What can I do?

When the power steering went, I bitched to corporate as well as my local Honda dealer. Yes, they are aware of this problem and fixed if for free. WHY NO RECALLS? Guess they're waiting for someone to die first. NOW, less then a year from the power steering incident, I'm told yesterday my starter needs to be replaced to the tune on $800. This was no surprise as I was having issues and found (on this site) numerous people having the same problem.

Here's what was happening to my car: There are been maybe a half dozens incidents in recent years, when I start my car and it makes a sound like the car is already on. Being 60ish, I assumed the first couple of times, maybe I'm senile and did leave the car on. When this happens, the brake peddle cannot move. I shut the car down, and after a few seconds try again with no problems. The last time this happened was about a month ago and I KNOW the car was off. I started and that same problem.

I took the car in yesterday for a routine oil change and I told them what I experienced and had them check the started (due to what I found on the internet). Presto! Yup, it's the starter. We can change for $800. Now, either it really is the starter or this car is merely a piece of crap, as is HONDA, or perhaps both. In either case, I'm having the Service mgr call corporate (yes, they may pay to have this fixed) but either way, I'll have fixed an then walk to the closest Toyota dealer (had toyota's all my life.

My 2000 Avalon is probably still running with no issues) trade this piece of crap in and get me a car I can depend on. NEVER AGAIN WILL I PURCHASE A HONDA. PERIOD.

- contes217, Melbourne, US

May 012019

Accord EX 2.4L

• CVT transmission

We bought a 2005 CRV that was great and we put 190K miles on it and it was almost trouble free. It looked like new when we traded it for a 2013 Accord. The Accord has had several issues in the 5 years we have had it. Now it is the starter which is acting up and matches most of the other descriptions I read on here; takes several pushes of the button to get it to start, sometimes, getting worse every day. I have a new starter on order. Other problems: excessive oil consumption at 1 quart/1,500 miles (CRV never used a drop), the heater has never worked well, door lock actuator problems, thermostat failure. I bought the extended warranty to 120K or 5 years and local dealer(JCH) would not change the thermostat without a $120 diagnostic fee and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to diagnose a bad thermostat. Bought one and changed in 30 minutes for $30 which fixed it of course. The only thing I like about this car is we average about 32 mpg. CVT has been OK but groans when pulling out on a really steep hill. I think Honda is slipping in their reliability rating. The starters are a known problem and we are lucky ours made it this far. This car has had more issues than my 20 year old F150 with 188K on it.

- Mark C., KINGSPORT, TN, US

May 012018

Accord EXL 3.5L V6

Starter continuously doesn't engage and start the car. Several times pushing the start button for it to work. There is a service campaign about this issue but Honda will not recall the part and pay for any of this. Very frustrating as my quote is in the range of $500 to $1000 dollars. The torque converter ring gear was apparently not positioned right. How am I supposed to know for sure if I get a replacement OEM Honda part that this will not keep happening?

- Brian H., Knoxville, TN, US

May 042019

Accord V6

I bought my car new in 2013 and have had to replace the starter TWICE in 6 years!!!

- Paula C., Hampton, VA, US

Apr 052019

Accord EXL 2.4L

• CVT transmission

I own a 2013 Honda Accord EXL, Ive had the car for about 5 years now. I purchased the car brand new, thinking Honda was a very reliable car brand, well I was incorrect. Not only has the alternator gone bad which I had to replace, but now my starter went bad as well. For a brand that relies on reliability, I have to say the company has gone down the drain. I just don't understand how both the alternator and stater have already gone bad. This simply just an embarrassment. Never again will I purchase a Honda.

Luckily for me, I was able to replace both parts on my own. I honestly say there should be a recall on both, or we should all get together a file a lawsuit with the company.

- David P., Santa Ana, US

Jan 082019

Accord Sport 4 cyl

Like many of the other reports I've read on this forum, my 2013 Honda Accord Sport begun having issues starting about 2 months ago. Sometimes it would start right away and others it would take 4-5 times before it fired up. Eventually, the car quit starting entirely so I had it towed to Goodyear. While the tow truck driver told me the issue was surely the starter, Goodyear ran a diagnostics test and resulted the problem was in fact the battery; which was about a $120 fix opposed to approximately $700 fix for a starter (called about 4 different places in my area and they all quoted around this number). Now, fast forward a couple months, my car has quit starting again.

- Anthony M., Royal Oak, US

Oct 172017

Accord EX-L 4

• CVT transmission

There are multiple posts about starters failing at 40K miles. My car failed to start at the same point. I had it repaired and Honda reimbursed my expense. But why are starters failing at 40K?

- loyal honda owner, Portland, US

Aug 012018

Accord Sport 2.4L

Had to turn the key 3 or 4 times to get it to start. Replaced the battery, but that did not fix it. Starter had to be replaced.

- David C., Mather, US

Jan 182018

Accord LX 2.0L

• CVT transmission

The starter stopped working after killing my battery. I had to change the battery. Tthen the car won't start anymore after one day from changing the battery. I towed it to the dealer and apparently the starter has died. Luckily I have extended warranty and it was covered.

- Yasir A., Surprise, US

Aug 152018

Accord EXL

Bought my Honda brand new in August 2013. In January battery went completely dead. I had to replace the alternator fro $750. Now for the past month, push start button started acting funny... many clicks before the car could start. Worried I took the car to Honda. Was charged $150 to diagnose the problem. Per Dealer I had to replace the starter $834. Car only has 36000 miles.

Tried to complain to the dealer about a discount, No response. Moreover when I dropped the car to get fixed at Brickell Honda, they do not have a courtesy shuttle service for clients. I had to Uber to and from home at my own expense. I would never imagine I would spend $1500 for an alternator and a new starter for a car with only 35k miles on it.

Now I feel that the car is not reliable.. Getting rid of it at the end of the year and never getting a Honda again.......

- Moise J., Miami, US

Aug 252016

Accord 2.4L

We bought our first Honda for my wife. A brand new 2013 Honda accord. I thought this would be a reliable car with good resale value. Boy was I wrong! First a front wheel bearing went out at about 25,000 mi., luckily this was under warranty. Then at around 34,000 starting problems. Would have to push start button several times to start, then it would be ok for awhile. I saw a video of how Honda changed the starter so now the bushings in the starter become corroded and the starter fails. This is BS!! Honda should have a recall on this defect in the starter! This will be the last Honda we ever buy! I'm going to replace the starter at a cost of 730.00 at Honda dealer and sell this piece of crap!

- Brad L., Circle Pines, US

Jul 022018

Accord

Push start has to be pushed four or five times before cars starts up. Don't believe its the starter like the dealer wants me to believe. After view You Tube, I strongly believe its the ignition sensor. Honda dealer wants $160.00 just to diagnose the problem. From what You Tube is saying that the ignition sensor is a on going problem with the 2013 Honda. and they can't believe that Honda hasn't recalled this sensor. Not sure if I'll buy another Honda, because they are starting not to be honest. This is the 5th Honda I have own.

- smchilds, Waldorf, US

Apr 302018

Accord ES 3.2L

At the beginning it randomly happened. Sometimes it cannot start, only the light on. After I restart, it will start normally. After a week or so, the engine completely cannot start. I tried to jump start with battery pack, however. I called the road assistant to tow the car. When the tow truck came, the driver can jump start the engine.

I brought the car to the dealer. After diagnostic, I was told that the problem is in the starter. The cost is about $890 + tax.

This is the first time I have the starter problem. It is only 4.5 years car and 51K.

Honda was always my priority because of their reliability...but maybe not anymore.

- F B., San Jose, US

Jun 152018

Accord LX 2.4L

Very, very sad. We are a Honda Family. We have a 2013 Accord (first owner) and just bought a 2015 Odyssey.

On the Accord we have only 28,000 miles. About 4.5 years. Out of warranty. The vehicle does not crank about 50% of the times. It starts within 4-5 tries.

Took it to the dealership (Larry Hopkin Honda in Sunnyvale). Highway robbery. They said the Starter needs replacing. However, they said that to give that in writing (which is what the Honda America Main Company needs), they will charge ~$180. We got it diagnosed by a local mechanic for ~$80. He said you need a new starter.

Honda America Customer Support (1-800-999-1009) said that I'm pretty much on my own. No warranty. They said that however if I get a diagnosis from a Honda Dealer, then they may consider a loyalty discount. However, no guarantees. So I'm stuck paying $160 to another dealer (South Bay Honda) to get the starter replacement recommendation in writing, and then pay about $760 to Honda to get the Starter replaced (parts + labour). This is insane given that this is such a common complaint and the vehicle has so few miles.

I am tempted to go with a local mechanic and doing this cheaply without warranty, but this is crazy expensive, given that I just paid for another Odyssey just a few weeks ago. I am scared of the Honda's. Folks are even complaining about the starter for the Odyssey.

Honda, please listen to this and take some action. Please do a recall and reimburse customers who have to deal with a bad manufactured part.

- Nishit S., Sunnyvale, CA, US

May 212018

Accord LX 4

2013 Accord 4 cyl 6m trans. Same as other posters, first the battery died. Definitely the battery was bad, all the classic symptoms. Month or so later, turn the key and lights come on but engine doesn't crank. It takes 2 or 3 tries then cranks and starts like normal. I ordered the brush holder assembly, I'll see how that works.

Update from Jul 16, 2018: Update: Replacing the brush holder completely solved the problem.

Update from Jul 23, 2018: I purchased the brush holder set, P/N 31210-5A2-A01, from HondaPartsNow.com. Price was $28.16 plus shipping. If you have the skill to remove and replace the starter, you should be able to replace the brush ring.

- Dan H., Pilot, US

Jun 052018

Accord 2.4L

Just completed a call to Honda concerning getting a starter replaced on a car that is only 4 yrs old. My previous car (Saturn) was 12 yrs old with 150K miles and still had it's original starter. I thought Honda was a good car. I am very disappointed with the quality and will never buy another Honda and will not recommend them to anyone I know! Honda offered no assistance on the cost to repair. This starter should be a recall item - Honda knows they are defective. I will probably contact a local Consumer Watch Dog group to draw more attention to this issue. I am additionally concerned as the replacement was a refurb due to the high cost. I assume since Honda removed the original starter from my car that was defective that they will sell it as a refurb to some one else. So this will be an ongoing issue for all Honda Accord owners with starter problems. Other than being able to stop your car when needed - I believe that being able to start it is right up there as a basic necessity! So disappointed.

- db1, Delray Beach, US

Feb 022018

Accord EX 2.4L

When I push start button sometimes the dash lights and radio come on, but will not engage starter. Then I turn everything off and try again. At times it has taken six tries before the car starts. Dealer says they haven't seen this problem. They checked battery and found it was good. I called Honda but customer service lady does not have access to maintenance or complaint records. She gave me another number but they were no help. I have seen others on this site and they had to replace the starter. This car only has 15600 miles so hard to believe it is a starter problem.

- tomi60, Victoria, US

May 092018

Accord LX 2.4L

My 2013 Honda Accord needed a new starter at only 47,000 miles. Fortunately, I had coverage for it under the extended warranty. I did a search and found this website with the many complaints about this issue; it is very disappointing that Honda has not issued a recall for the starters. I also saw online that this problem affects 2013-2015 Accord models. Owners who had had this problem and don't have warranty coverage should not have to pay hundreds of dollars out of their pockets (mine would have been $900) to replace a part that is obviously defective.

- Kathy S., Osseo, MN, US

Feb 032018

Accord LX 2.4L 4 cyl

Like most complaints about the starter on a number of 2013 Accords, mine started acting up when I hit 40K miles. I took it to a local Honda dealer and they checked the starter, alternator, battery, etc. and said every thing was fine...which it wasn't. I kept track of the starting and about 50% of the time my car would start on the first try, then about 30% on the 2nd try, and the other 20%, sometimes up to 6 attempts before it started. Like most, the dash would light up when I turned the key but sometimes nothing at all happened.

The fix: I guess the dealer would have replaced the starter at my insistence but the starter was $485.00 plus labor and this just seemed unreasonable. Like some others have noted, I checked E-bay and picked up a brand new starter for $84. I checked around and got to labor quotes from repair shops ($150 & $120) so bottom line my problem is fixed , car works fine, and total cost was about $204.

- Morris C., Prairieville, LA, US