ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2004 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda CR-V:

2004 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 012017

CR-V

Faulty door locks causing the need to manually use the key and in the case of the rear doors - the inability to unlock from the outside. Issue started with one door lock (driver rear) and now has started on the drivers door. This is a permanent default as it now does not function.

- Ridgefield Park, NJ, USA

Nov 112017

CR-V

The door locks do not operate properly. You have to use the key in the drivers door to manually open it. The interior door lock switch will only unlock the front passenger door. You have to climb around inside the vehicle to open rear doors. To lock the doors you have to walk around to each door and open it to manually lock them to secure vehicle or crawl back through the vehicles interior to lock the doors. The remote can only open the front passenger lock even though you hear noises occurring trying to unlock the other doors. The remote is useless. This is not just an inconvenience but is a serious safety issue.

- Decatur, AL, USA

Nov 082017

CR-V

Stirring is locked. Key won't turn. This happened 11082017. I was at a shell service station. Car was in proper park position and should have started. Mechanic couldn't start it either. Problem being investigated. Car has 172K.lucky there was a mechanic.went to fill up gas tank.

- Hot Springs Village, AR, USA

Nov 022017

CR-V

We were leaving a parking lot when we had to pull over and get out of the car. A very strong electric smell and smoke was coming from drivers side window area. We were all outside the car on a very busy city street because of this incident. After a while the smoke cleared and I went back into the vehicle to see if it would function. The rear windows were no longer functioning. Had a friend take the family home and drove the car myself home and parked it away from the house. Looked it up on the internet and found that a recall for the drivers side power window switch ( 12V486000 10/05/2012 2002 to 2005 CRV )was made including 2004 CRV models for this very issue. Contacted Honda support to find out why we were not notified. According to Honda support, our model is not covered because we have a different VIN than the same year models that were recalled for the very same issue. This is a serious driving and fire hazzard!. I am very dissapointed this is not something they take serious. We are original owners and have never received notice of this issue. They say it is my expense because my VIN is not one included in the recall for this very same issue of the very same year and model. Had to pay thousands for our air conditioner to be completely replaced shortly after we bought the car because of a later recalled issue with it that also was not covered at the time. Used to be Honda believers, but this kind of treatment is not sitting well.

- Granite Bay, CA, USA

Sep 012015

CR-V

NHTSA recall number: 12V-136 / service bulletin 12-023 - - the low beam headlights may become inoperative, reducing driver visibility and increasing the risk of a crash. The problem happens when parked or driving, city or highway travel.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Jul 172017

CR-V

My window came down on its own today and there was smoke and a very strong burning smell. I had a mechanic look at the driver side front window and he stated the insides were melted because some wires were burning. I read online that this has been a problem for these vehicles.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 012017

CR-V

Car caught fire while parked. I did not receive a recall or warning notice. The electrical cables from driver door looks melted and fire spread quickly. Firefighters had to be called and they had to wet the car and disconnect the battery. This mode vehicle and year shows 5 open recalls, but when I search by VIN# it shows no open recalls. I was lucky not to be driving the car.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Jul 042016

CR-V

The driver and passenger side door locks have failed. I cannot lock my car with the key on either side. I can only open from the inside. I'm resorting to keeping my driver's side door unlocked (a very dangerous thing). I first was unable to open the driver's side and days later, the passenger side also stopped working.

- Oakland Gardens, NY, USA

Aug 042016

CR-V

The contact owns a 2004 Honda CR-V. when inserting the key into the ignition switch, the key fob failed to start the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 152013

CR-V

The contact owns a 2004 Honda CR-V. while the vehicle was parked, the rear passenger door and tailgate door locks would not engage and the vehicle failed to start. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- St Pete Beach, FL, USA

Dec 282015

CR-V 4-cyl

Passenger window got stuck about a week ago and delayed in rolling back up. Once it rolled up I set the window lock button so it wouldn't accidentally happen again while having wet weather. Yesterday, 1st sunny day, had rolled driver and front passenger windows down. Parked and rolled up windows. When got back into car 10 minutes later, noticed bad smell and yellow smoke coming from main window control panel on door before even turning the ignition on. Had to pull the fuse for the windows to stop it from smoking. This is the second time this has happened since I bought it off the lot. Replaced part on May 21, 2011 and paid out of pocket. Again Honda is asking me to pay for inspecting and replacing of this problem. I should not have to pay for this! I return tomorrow night to pick up my car.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 022012

CR-V

For the last 3 years we have had three (3) main issues with this vehicle, 1) air bag SRS light has been on, 2) the front passenger window will not roll down and 3) the air conditioning system has not operated. From the begining I have checked on recalls/ campaigns for these items and the only recall we received for this vehicle VIN # was the air bag recall (btw we took it in for the recal and the SRS light is still on). When you look on Honda's website to check for recalls no other issues come up with my VIN#, yet if you look the vehicle up by the model and year, a whole list of "campaigns" come up under this vehicle. My vehcile has had the same problems as the said make and models for years. I filed a complaint with Honda America (case # 04205532) this morning and spoke with "serinity" of the product concern section of Honda America and basiclly she is telling me because my particilar vehcile was manufactured in Japan (VIN # starting with a "J") that no recalls apply to me. But yet I am having the same issues with my vehicle of the same model and year. Honda basically has stated that they cannot offer any help on this matter. Please note, there are other safety "campaigns" that I never got notices, such as wiring harnessess. I took my vehicle into a non-dealer mechanic for air-conditioning services and they stated to me 2 + years ago that this vehicle is known to have a major defect in the ac clutch on the ac pump was designed too close to the engine and thus heats up and shatters into many pieces and flows though the whole ac system thus requiring that the whole ac system is required to be replaced (Honda service bulletin # 12-072). Honda has issued a campaign increasing the ac system warranty to 10 years/ 100,000 miles, but again this does not apply to my vehicle, yet I have the same exact issues on my vehicle. Please help on this matter.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Aug 132015

CR-V

Drivers side automatic lock failure lock will not work remotely or by manual key on going problem for the last 1-2 years sometimes intermittent, now not working at all as of above date (approx.)

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jun 222005

CR-V

Affected parts section will not let me list parts or choose from drop down. Tripometer quit working at 45,000 / on pch 1 from monterey to san deigo, ca at dusk, head ligths went out 2005. Did not learn of recall til SRS light came on in 2012 and switch wire was replaced. Also learned of airbag issue at this time, serial ck'd, was told did not fall within recall # maintenance light came on 3 dys later and has remained on / from the 1st year I owned it, batteries were replaced every 11 to 16 mos. From 2004 untill headlite issue solved. / at 51,882 mi condenser and compressor went out, at 63,985 ac out again this time comdenser out and compressor locked up leaving me stranded on a mtn road yards from a blind curve, ac out again at 84,948 for the 3rd time forcing me to drive in 90 to 102 temp from hampstead, nc for 14 hrs to lumberton, ms, leaving myself and my dog suffering from heat exhaustion / winter 2012, prior to last ac issues, problems with driver and passenger windows raising. Had to use power button and have manual assistance on windows to get up. In spring, I accidentally put window down, however it raised without assistance. / I did not receive a recall on any issues with this Honda until the end of mach 2015. The car was purchased in April 2004 and I noticed the first airbag recall being June 2004. / other issues: Vent swiveral broke off, hood release lever broke off, mileage lite out, in cabin air lite stays on, glove box lite stays on./ this vechicle has almost got me killed on two occasions-1) when the lites went off on pch 1 at dusk, had it been dark and there was no pull over I could have ended up in the pacific ocean. 2) when the condenser went out and the compressor locked up on a mtn road in mt I was yards from a blind curve with no shoulder or way to move car for 2 1/2 hrs waiting for tow truck in hail storm. One on coming car was force off road.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Mar 272015

CR-V

Summary: While driving, the master power window switch overheated and began to emit a strong burning odor. Afterwards the left rear window failed to operate. Since I initially did not know where the odor was coming from, I went to the dealer the next day to see if they could find the source of the odor but they couldn't. after sniffing around, I found the source of odor, the master power window switch. I had the dealer remove the fuse for safety reasons. The dealer said the window regulator had failed but I suspect the failed switch burnt out the window motor. I was worry that the car would catch on fire.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Jan 162015

CR-V

I have gone through 3 separate right low beam headlights in the past three years, got the recall notice for a short in the headlight system, had it fixed, and yet the right headlight keeps going out, even though the bulb is not burned out. Dealer has no idea what is wrong, and believes it to be a fuse issue. This car is absolutely falling apart.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Sep 152014

CR-V

The contact owns a 2004 Honda CR-V. the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 12V486000 (electrical system, visibility) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bonita Sping, FL, USA

Jan 122015

CR-V

The contact owns a 2004 Honda CR-V. the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V486000 (electrical system, visibility) and 14V351000 (air bags); however, the parts needed were not available. The dealer was contacted. The contact believed that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bonitaspring, FL, USA

Aug 112014

CR-V 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway, I bumped my keys lightly with my right knee causing the car to suddenly switch off, and making steering difficult. I was able to coast off the freeway to a stop at an exit, and restart my car. It appears that the car switches off with even the slightest bump to the keys in the ignition. The problem appears to be similar to the current GM recall.

- Newton, MA, USA

Jun 102014

CR-V 4-cyl

Door actuators do not always work making it difficult to get in and out of the car quickly.

- Frederick, MD, USA