CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends, & the 2017 Honda CR-V has at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only conducted a recall in China & a "product update" in Canada.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

7.1

$140

2. replace battery (7 reports)
  3. fixed for now - technician could not find the issue (2 reports)
  4. tsb 17-032 software update (2 reports)
  5. replaced (1 reports)
  6. traded car (1 reports)
2017 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Honda CR-V:

2017 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 122021

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

In May we parked our car at BWI airport and when we returned, we could not start the car. It was late and it was a big problem to get home. Most recently we left our CRV in our garage for eight days and when we returned on July 12th the battery was dead. I called Honda of America and asked about our problem, and they promptly disavowed any knowledge of such an issue. There are three other CRV owners in our neighborhood who have experienced this problem.

If my car had still been under warranty, they might have replaced the battery, but all I got was the old Sergeant Schultz routine--I hear nothing--I see nothing-I know nothing! I need to be part of a class action suit since Honda won't correct anything until pressure is brought to bear.

- portsider, Cover, US

Jan 032020

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Had to have car towed by Honda. Battery replaced for free. No meaningful explanation - the internet has many similar cases.

- David W., Brookhaven, NY, US

Apr 032021

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Second time in less than 4 years. I previously replaced under warranty 2 January 2020. So this battery lasted only 15 months.

- David W., Brookhaven, NY, US

Jun 102021

CR-V EX-L 1.5L Lt 4 cyl

2nd time this has happened. Dealer inspected battery and it was ok. Dealer unable to find what the problem is and suggested to run the car more often. Absurd.

- Harry L., Washingtonville, NY, US

Sep 082021

CR-V EXL-AWD 1.5t

• CVT transmission

Own a 2017 Honda CRV EXL-AWD, and during my four years ownership period, battery has died numerous times for no reason. Very unreliable. Honda never address the parasitic battery drain issues on top of their oil dilution problem and Honda sensing blinding issues. Thumb down for Honda engineering and their quality.

- Daniel W., Reading, MA, US

Sep 282020

CR-V Excl 1.5L

The car is just about 3 years and this problem happens. It doesn’t start.

- Olga S., Rockville, US

Oct 132020

CR-V Touring 1.5L 4-cyl

Looking to find fellow Honda CRV users with battery drain problems.

Update from Aug 31, 2021: Honda replaced the battery as it was still in warranty (2 weeks before it expired)

- rachel.rambo, Issaquah, US

Nov 072020

CR-V EX-L 4-cyl

Battery dead in December 2019, so I called AAA and they replaced. In September 2020, dead again. AAA replaced again. A few weeks later (November 2020) battery dead again. Again AAA replaced.

I called dealership and they said they had had other issues like this and we could just bring it in without an appointment. I took it to dealership today and they ran diagnostic tests and said there was nothing wrong. They just told me I need to drive it every couple of days. This is ridiculous. I am retired and with the pandemic going on I only need to drive it every 3 days or so. My wife has a 2005 Accord and it starts fine every day regardless of how many days she hasn't driven it.

When I researched online there was a post about a possible software fix. I see online that many other people have this issue with the CRV's, particularly the 2017 version. If Honda is aware of this, why aren't they doing a recall of it, and if there is a fix, why doesn't the dealership know about it?

Seriously thinking about trading in this car for something else.

- Stan W., Carmel, US

Feb 112021

CR-V LX 1.5L 4

• CVT transmission

We purchased a new 2017 CRV in Sept 2017. It barely has 63 000 km and the battery went dead and needed to be boosted 3 times in the past 3 weeks. I took it to the local garage for a load test and was told the battery was toast. The battery on the previous 2007 CRV that we owned lasted close to six years so it's a bit ridiculous that this one died after barely 3 1/2 years. Anyway, we can't get by with an unreliable battery so we went out and bought a new one from the dealer today.

Also worth noting that the factory original battery was rated for 550CCA and the new Honda replacement is 650CCA so it seems that they realized something wasn't right with the original battery size/charge capacity.

- Debi B., Bracebridge, ON, Canada

Jan 212021

CR-V EX-L 1.5L Turbo

Battery gone dead just after 3 years. Called road assistance - they recommend to change the battery - but don't do it at Honda.

- Ajit S., Devon, PA, US

Dec 262020

CR-V LX 2.4L

Purchased our 2017 CRV on 5/12/17, everything was great until 3/11/20, dead battery. Battery was replaced then on 12/11/20, dead battery again after getting a jump and driving to Honda dealer who checked out battery stated battery was good and sent me on my way. Low and behold on 12/26/20, dead battery again.

This time I had vehicle towed to Honda dealer who charged the battery and today 12/28/20, received a call stating they can't find anything that is draining the battery. I told them to keep the vehicle there is a problem and they need to find the issue and suggested they check the VSA. I can NOT have a vehicle that I can not rely on. I have been a Honda owner since 1986 and I am thinking it might be time to make a switch.

- Carolyn B., Rio Linda, CA, US

May 222021

CR-V LX

Fourth battery in four years. Last one was less than a year old when it died completely while we were on vacation. Couldn't open the doors; couldn't even jump the battery until the car we were jumping from had been running for 20 minutes, giving our battery enough of a charge to start it and drive to the dealer.

I get it -- we committed the sin of going on vacation and not hiring a babysitter for the car. We are getting really sick of this.

- Eric M., Bethesda, MD, US

Mar 182020

CR-V EX

Battery has gone dead several times over the years. I don't drive all the time so I've gone out to a dead battery probably about 7 times in the last year.

- mizbanks, Kennewick, US

Oct 132019

CR-V EX 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Tried to start my car and all I got was clicking with lights flashing on the dash. I called the HondaLink Roadside Assistance. They sent AAA to jump my battery. The AAA guy says he's jumped a lot of 2017 CR-V's with the same problem. I am taking the car to the dealer to see what solution they have for me.

- tennisdoctor, Torrance, US

Nov 272017

CR-V EX 4

This is a lease. I have asked Honda service to check battery of two oil change occasions and they always say there's no problem with the charging system.

- georgehill, Painesville, US

Jul 282019

CR-V

After a few weeks of not using and after 2 years of lease, the battery has died out. Dealer says vehicle must be used regularly or this will happen again. However, after 2 years I had never had an issue with it as I travel out of town frequently and the car goes unused after days or even weeks at a time.

- Danilo C., Fort Lauderdale, FL, US

May 132019

CR-V Touring Awd 1.5L I4

• CVT transmission

Battery is dead after 2 days sitting, sometimes overnight.

Center Screens keep adjusting brightness while driving since we got the car in March 2017, no fix.

- Benny N., San Francisco, CA, US

Jan 282019

CR-V EX AWD 1.5L

Battery just died. Charged it for hours, started, died again later that day. Had AAA test, electrical system fine, battery at 140 CCA. Bought their 3/6 year battery, as it’s my wife’s car, so she’s now got security of their warranty. $127. Major pain in the ass getting all the trouble codes and messages to disappear from dashboard, although there’s no help in the manual. Internet had the answer, just go for a drive, but in the interim driving with multiple systems reporting problems! Pretty cheap damn battery, maybe 20 months since car new.

- Frank D., Highland, US

Jan 172018

CR-V EXL 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

New vehicle and battery has gone dead four times this past winter after vehicle went unused for two days. Talked to Honda canada about the problem not being the battery but a parasitic draw from the electrical system. They tried to tell me that we had a colder than usual winter in canada this year. I could not help but laugh at that statement when no diagnostic was even performed to make any type of assessment of the issue and I asked if that were true, why are people who live in warm climates also experiencing the same problem after their vehicles are sitting unused for 2-3 days? We still have no fix for this issue or the oil dilution with gas problem.

- chillier91, Fort Smith, NT, Canada

Sep 222018

CR-V LX 2.4L

• CVT transmission

I got my car in Feb 2017 and after 8 months we start seeing this issue when we went to a few days trip and we found we could not start up the car without jumping. Will service bulletin 17-032 apply to LX? thanks

Second time happened after 2 days without driving, we took the car to the service, they check battery, alternator and ODBII (I don't know why they need to check ODBII) and told me everything is good, nothing they can help.

Third time happened again after 2 days without driving. The manager told me Honda has small battery so she asked to change a bigger battery for myself, she said small batter won't hold the power that long! I cannot believe Honda makes a car with only two days of power! My phone can hold more than 2 days without using it! They asked me to leave the car there and let it dies by itself. I don't understand this! How can you test circuit without power?! which makes no sense to me at all or for anyone who has little knowledge about electricity. Moreover, they cannot provide me a car. They asked me to contact American Honda. However, American Honda said nothing they can help!

Fourth time happened again after 15 hours without driving. We took the car in, and they could not start it either. so they check the battery, parasitic test and everything come back good. Therefore, they said nothing they can help and there is no recall on my car. However the problem is still there. I asked them how to prevent it. Again, they said I need to leave the car there for 3 days till it die. It dies in front of them already, I don't understand why they need to wait for 3 days again! They said this is required by American Honda and they cannot give me a car to drive either!

- Family Y., San Diego, CA, US