7.8

2. warranty engine replacement (4 reports)
  3. replace short block (2 reports)
  4. replace engine (1 reports)
2015 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Hyundai Elantra:

2015 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Feb 202020

Elantra 1.8L

Here is the background: I bought my Hyundai Elantra from a car auction with the help of a friend. As the car had some cosmetic damage due to someone taking a hammer to the body.(an obvious cheating situation). The car was never in a wreck. We fixed up the body and the car worked well. Less than a year later the car started having some knocking noises in the motor. I immediately took the car to my mechanic who told me to take it to the dealer.

The dealer took my car and let me know that the piston slap was the issue and that because I was the second owner that I would be responsible. They did offer to pay for half of the new motor but wanted me to pay for the other half. I declined as I should not have to pay for a manufacturer error. I told them that and made many phone calls to Hyundai America which denied to help me. They gave me a time frame to fix the car and I insisted that I would not pay.

They finally told me that I had 14 days to remove the care from the parking lot. When I went to get the car at night, it didn't start. I am pretty positive that it needs a new starter. when I went back the next day I noticed that I had screws all over the in-lining of the hood right under the wipers. I checked ,my oil and there was nothing in it, nothing!

If I would have driven off that car would have literally died on the way. I am going to get a tow truck to move my car. I was told that I should try another dealership that might help me.

My car has the 1.8L engine and currently has 83,000 miles on it, I am furious! This car is 5 years old it doesn't even have 100,000 miles on it! This is is newest car I have ever had and for it to have these issues is unacceptable.

- Nicolle M., Sioux Falls, SD, US

Jun 282019

Elantra Limited 1.8L

Rough idle at first followed by engine ticking. Brought to dealer and diagnosed in a few hours. Needs short block replacing. Dealer has made appointment for replacement and sent us driving the car. Loaner car available for us when we drop off in 2 weeks and all covered under warranty. Thankfully this presented itself now as warranty will be up in 6 months.

- Kyle R., Wpg, MB, Canada

Jan 022019

Elantra 1.8L

My car makes this "ticking" sound too and it is so embarrassing! I took it to the local mechanic to have the brakes changed and they confirmed the sound and it is a possible "piston slap". I called the dealer to set up to have it looked at, drove all the way there for them to tell me one they never scheduled a rental and two that the piston slap is "normal as they make them with aluminum now". I found this odd that after 4 years of owning the car this is now "normal"? Also they could not take the word of any mechanic besides a "Hyundai mechanic".

Not to mention there is a new noise that sounds like an egg timer counting down. In the morning it is so loud, and yes gets better as I drive, but does not go away. I was also assured by the manager that "the engine isn't going to seize or anything. Plus you have until 100,000 miles if it does." Okay..... the last car I had that made this sound, that is exactly what the engine did and why would I want to be stuck somewhere with this problem if it can be avoided?

Now after the last few weeks, no matter the temperature the noise is there. I may have to bite the bullet with a local dealer that does not offer rentals, just so I don't have to drive it as far to have it looked at by a "Hyundai Mechanic".

- Christine T., Brigantine, NJ, US

Mar 112019

Elantra GL 1.8L

First started with a light ticking noise coming from the engine. Eventually progressed to an engine knock. Decrease in performance of the vehicle occurred rapidly as acceleration was affected. When attempting to rapidly accelerate for passing or merging onto highway, vehicle would not respond to driver pressing the gas pedal. Accelerator would be very sluggish, and at times, the vehicle would backfire with a large plume of white smoke behind it, when acceleration finally kicked-in.

After several months, complete engine failure would occur as the vehicle would stall in live traffic while driving. After stopping completely, and restarting the engine, the vehicle would continue a few hundred metres at a time before stalling again. This is a potentially dangerous situation which should be addressed immediately by Hyundai as a mass recall of vehicles with this type of an engine.

When bought to the dealer, the mechanic immediately diagnosed the problem as very serious, and ordered a replacement of the engine short block. The vehicle had an odometer reading of 106,000km - standard power train warranty is 100,000. I had an extended warranty of 160,000km, so no cost to repair. Dealer mentioned that even if I had only the standard warranty, they would replace the engine under goodwill.

Unfortunately, I will not be buying another Hyundai ever again due to safety concerns.

- Roman B., Hamilton, ON, Canada

Jan 222019

Elantra

Bought used. Was a motor pool car for a local bank, mint condition inside and out. Ticking began at 68,000 miles and worsening. This car has not been abused. Very disappointed as I had loved the car in every other way.

- J R., St Paul, MN, US

Jan 182018

Elantra SE 4

2015 Hyundai Eleantra SE is a LEMON!!

We have had problems with this car for years now. It is one thing after another. We had the car in for several issues with the car. Two of the issues the dealership could not even fix the problem. I made a list of all the issues that we are having with the car.

On 11/15/2016 with 12185 miles on the car, we had to replace the battery on the car.

On 05/22/2017 with 15516 miles on the car, we had to replace (2) tires on the car because the tires were bald.

On 11/03/2017 with 18268 on the car, we had to replace the other (2) tires on the car because the tires were bald. We had problem with the car stalling. The dealership could not find anything wrong with the car.

On 01/18/2018 with 20747 miles on the car. We had a problem with a sound when the car starts. When the car starts it sounds like metal clinking. It does not matter if the car is cold in the morning or anytime of the day. When I start the car, it makes this sound. I had to tape the sound so the service advisor could hear the sound. The tech could not hear it.

02/08/2018 with 20749 miles on the car. We still had the problem with a sound when the car started. When the car starts it sounds like metal clinking.

The dealership kept the car overnight. The next day the tech did hear the sound. They tested the alternator and it was bad. They had to replace the alternator on the car. Even after the dealership replaced the alternator I still had the same sound as before. The replacement of the alternator did not stop the sound.

03/20/2018 with 20802 miles on the car. We are still having the same sound when the car is started. It does not matter what time of the day the car is started, the same sound happens. It sounds like a metal clinking. I had a tape of the sound, the tech did not hear a thing.

We are still having the same issue with the sound when the car starts. I am scared to start the car because the dealership can not find out what is wrong with it. I am scared it might blow up when the car starts because of this issue. I had taped this twice but the dealership will not fix this issue because the tech could not hear the sound. Something is seriously wrong with the car or the dealership is lying. It should not be making this metal clinking noise when I start the car. I had several people hear this noise but not the dealership.

We had this one issue with the car since 2016. I have told them about the issue but they never did anything about it or even looked into it, just looked at me like I am nuts. The issue is this. When I fill the car up with gas the (Range for the miles to go on the car) it does not stay the same thing each time. One time it will be 301, 304, 299, 289, or 275. Something is wrong with the Range Miles to go. Just the other day, I put gas in the car. I started the car, the Range started at 279, then dropped to 256 before I even left the gas Station. The Range keeps dropping while I am driving. In 1 mile I go, it drops 4 miles or more. I am not in heavy traffic or stop and go driving. I am not speeding or have anything heavy in the car. I do not even know why this issue happens. When I first had this problem, I had to get a new battery. I had the dealership check the battery. The battery was fine. This is happening all the time with the Range issue.

Now, as you read this we had to replace 4 tires, 1 battery, 1 alternator. Still have problem with the metal clinking sound when I start the car and the gas range. I am so afraid when I start the car because of this issue the car will catch on fire or blow up with my mom or myself inside. Since they can not find a thing wrong with the car. This car is a true lemon.

- Elizabeth & Beverly V., Palm Harbor, US

Sep 022018

Elantra 1.8L

The car just started to make noise. The dealer in Hilo was rude and wanted oil records. I gave him copies of the windshield stickers 3 days later. The records were on Oahu and the car is in Hilo. [another island] He said could have gotten them off other cars. I said but there is a current one on the car now, he would not even look. I also show him the legal blog and read him the stats on it being a bad engine. It even says the problem is not the owners but the engine.

I have had many Elantra earlier models and never had a problem. The car looks good but the engine has serious problems in design. It is really rare to have engine rod bearing give out at near 35,000 miles,so there is a problem. I also have a friend that bought a new one from this dealership she drives very short distances and only had near the same mileage when the same problem occurred.

The dealer needs to honor the warranty and fix the problem.

- Martyn G., Keaau, HI, US

Feb 152018

Elantra GLS 2.0L

The engine started to change it's noise around 35000 km. Noticed right away as I am a mechanic. Around 45000 km became a clear ticking noise. Diagnosed at the dealer around 50000 km and replaced engine block under warranty around 62000km when the noise became more like a knock. No engine power loss or any other symptom during the time.

- Bogdan B., Laval, QC, Canada

Mar 022018

Elantra L

The local dealership admits to over 40 engine replacements (block) did not issue recall notice. I've been waiting 7 1/2 months for a replacement. The value of my car has been reduced as I wait. Dealer always says I'm on the dealer repair list and they are waiting for the parts.

- weddingguy, belleville, ON - Ontario, canada

Mar 072018

Elantra 1.8L

Well, I have the tick in my engine that you other guys are talking about. It's been making noise for a few months. I went in to the dealer today for an oil change, and was presented an estimate for $1100 for new brakes and transmission service (I'll take it elsewhere for half that price - at the most). When I mentioned the tick as I was leaving, the service manager said "yeah, I noticed that." Funny he didn't mention it before I did. Maybe it's because unlike the brakes, the tick is under warranty and his company will have to eat to cost? Just sayin...

Sooo, he tried to tell me that it was the fuel pump. Nope. Had that replaced (annoyingly) last December at about 23,000 miles. So then he says the car will run forever with the noise, it could be the upper or lower part of the engine, I have to leave it with them overnight so they can cold start it, two other cars (he didn't say with a similar problem, but insinuated it) have been there for TWO MONTHS, at least one needs a new engine, etc., etc.

In other words, just drive it until the warranty runs out (in 16 months), then I'm stuck. NOT gonna happen!

Since I had it certified (thank God!) and have the warranty for over another year, can I take this thing to another Hyundai dealer? I really dislike the place where I bought and besides, it's 90 miles from my house.

- Jeff G., Allegany, NY, US

Jan 222018

Elantra Limited 1.8L

Not only is Hyundai's Theta II gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine that over 470,000 cars were recalled for Bearing failure, metal debris riding on contaminated oil, piston ring defects, seizing, knocking and crying. It appears that they are having the same problem with the 1.8L DOHC MPI NU engine in our 2015 Hyundai Elantra that was also manufactured in the Alabama plant. The 2015 was not included in the 2012 - 2014 recall but it is having the exact same problems noted in the class action lawsuit and needs a total engine replacement.

We have reached out to Hyundai Corporate office to cover the repairs but have yet to hear back from them.

Feds investigate Hyundai, Kia for 1.7M-vehicle engine recall

The investigation will look into whether or not enough vehicles were recalled, and if the recall itself was as timely as it could be.

- Mike D., Stoughton, WI, US

Jan 102018

Elantra 1.8L

Engine developed light tick in valve train around Nov or December 2017 A few weeks later I traced with stethoscope to the area of the cam gears and top timing chain. This was after it slowly was noted to get louder.. I was already suspicious due to owning a Sonata which is from the infamous Theta Engine recall series. I changed the oil at 1800 since last change thinking it might have some effect since around the last oil change ticking was first noticed. No luck so I bagged the filter for their examination and car was dropped off. Oil was strained through an ultra fine screen funnel with no debris found.

ll oil changes done since new by me using top tier synthetics of the weight specified in manual. Always with OEM filters as I noticed early Sonata SB and warranty denials had occurred by owners using aftermarket filters. Oil Change Intervals were approximately 5-6000 almost all highway miles always with a new OEM filter. Other than tires wearing fairly rapidly as most OEM tires do the car has been trouble free.

The dealer has been quite responsive. Within 24 hrs it was determined to need a new engine and it was installed within a week. A nice new model loaner was immediately furnished. The car is still in the Shop pending some sort of alternator repair from damage caused during installation. I certainly can’t fault them for that as I well know things can happen when you take things apart.

Word of mouth cause of the engine issue was exactly the same as the long standing Sonata 2.0 & 2.4 engines typically. #2 crankshaft bearing breakdown which had started to ruin the crank shaft and connecting rod. I assume the ticking was damage caused by this debris. This tick was quite innocuous sounding and likely would have held together for some time before blowing the engine. The sound was exactly like a single loose lifter. There was no sound at all like the typical crank / piston/ connecting rod bearing failing. That region of the engines listening with with the stethoscope was completely quiet.

My intent in writing this is not as a rant but rather to warn other owners . As far as I know Elantras have no recall like the Sonata whose warranty mileage was increased from 60 to 120,000 / 10 years. That means if it’s making any sort of ticking, especially if it’s getting up there near warranty expiration, don’t put off finding out exactly what’s causing it. If you do you may find yourself on the hook for $5-6000.

- Thomas G., Chazy, NY, US

Feb 012016

Elantra LX 4 cyl

Engine ticks terribly when first started. plenty of oil in the car. Just an annoying problem. Very load noise.

- Barry B., Chillicothe, OH, US