2017 Hyundai Tucson engine problems: hesitation at acceleration

Hesitation At Acceleration

2017 Hyundai Tucson

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

8.7

2. hyundai techs told me there's nothing they can do to fix it (1 reports)
2017 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Tucson:

2017 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Aug 192019

Tucson 2.0L

Where we live we often need to get out into 45 mph traffic from a standing stop. For the last 1,000 miles or more the car just hesitates when pressing the gas, often times for what seems like 3 seconds or more. This is going to get my wife and I killed some day. Internet search shows this is a long standing problem that was recalled for 2016 models, but not the 2017 model we have. Looks like they still have the problem, and so do we. I don't know what to do.

- David B., Key Largo, FL, US

Dec 122018

Tucson Es Plus 2.0L

Soon after purchase in 2017 the car would hesitate once and a while. Now it sometimes just sits there creeping along even under full throttle. If you need to pull out into traffic you're not sure if you can enter traffic safely. It's very scary, I wont let my wife and kids drive the car ,, dealer can't find anything wrong, go figure. This is definitely a real problem and the Hyundai company is avoiding the problem. Someone is going to get really hurt if this is not corrected.

- Rudolf H., Lynchburg, US

Oct 242017

Tucson Sport Dual Clutch

When I did the first test drive on my car, I noticed it was a little slow to accelerate, but it seemed after a bit that it was just really sensitive (compared to previous vehicles I had driven) and I had to really apply some significant pressure to the gas and then it was fine; come to find out I was totally wrong.

When the car was first purchased it had like 99 miles on it and it was fall, by winter I was truly experiencing hesitation to accelerate when I was driving it (it hadn't been driven crazy nor really far and had been treated/serviced well. It was only slightly alarming at first but the car was so new I didn't quite know what to think about it. It wasn't long before the engine light came on, I called the service desk at the dealership and they said that they thought it had to do with the gas cap and to wait a bit and see if it went off on its own but that if the light started blinking to bring it in immediately, it did go off by its self but it came back on not long afterward.

I believe that was the first time I brought it in to be checked out and serviced, they got the light to go off and it seemed to be better but soon the most alarming incident occurred. One day I had been out running errands and decided to drive home the quickest way via the highway as I was merging onto the highway I was trying to steadily accelerate but I quickly realized I was having trouble getting my car to drive 45 miles per hour in a 70 mile per hour zone, I had to floor it because I was about to get hit if I couldn't assimilate with traffic; I had about a ten minute drive on the highway and it took nearly that entire time for my car to reach going 60 miles per hour, I was lucky because the far lane was going fairly slow because of traffic (as it was I nearly had to pull over).

Once I got off the highway I had a short drive home, I was terrified and immediately called the service desk at the dealership again (and the engine light was on again). At that point the dealership said they could tell right away that there was something wrong, I believe they found that it needed a chip put in it.

When I took it home I felt like I had a brand new car, I even felt like it had a little get up and go which it never had before. Unfortunately it didn't last the engine light came on again and once again I called the service desk, they got the light to go off but they said that the computer wouldn't give them an error message or something so they thought it would eventually come back on, they also said that they had found that this engine was a little touchy and asked me about my driving. I told them the truth that I don't have a lead foot and that I don't baby the car either, that I'm just an average driver. I could tell that they were skeptical of what I was saying which was really kind of infuriating because it was so condescending. He told me when the light came on again they would probably have to take it for a few days so they could really thoroughly go over it.

I can't remember if the engine light went on again or not but it started to hesitate to accelerate again and I called the service desk again and took it in again but they had only gone over it for a brief period of time when they told me they were done and they couldn't find anything wrong with the engine and once again said that these engines are a little touchy and that it really just needs to be driven a certain way. After that I was pretty mad, not only did I know something is really wrong with the engine because of my several scary experiences (I've nearly been hit several times), but they were pretty much saying any problems I might be having were only because I drive my car badly. Not long after that my air conditioning broke down.

I had to take it in again and when I did I cited the engine troubles again, a week or so later they got the part they needed to fix the air conditioning and fixed that but when I came to pick it up they again said they couldn't find anything wrong with the engine. I am so mad now for several reasons, one major one is that I had some jitters about the sport engine when we were about to purchase it and nearly went with the traditional engine but when the dealer insisted they thought it was one of the best engines they had, we decided to go with the sport.

The second reason I am so upset is that I feel like there has been something wrong since the time of purchase. The third reason I am so upset is because multiple people have clearly complained about this engine, and instead of thoroughly taking the time to go over the problem till they find a solution or discover that there is really a flaw and that it can't be fixed the dealer and the manufacturer service is brushing it off. By doing so they increase the chances of not having to cover the expense of repairs because it has been long enough or the owner has driven enough miles that the engine is no longer under warranty and any repairs will have to be paid in full by the owner of the car.

So basically if the engine isn't repaired by the time the warranty expires the manufacturer, dealer, actually makes money off of a problem of their making, which is so wrong and unethical I can't even begin to say how mad that makes me. After this last experience with the dealership, manufacturer service, I am done with this car, I am not going to risk my life driving this car. I truly urge anyone considering buying this car to stay away from it (the tuscon sport, the one with the dual clutch smaller engine).

I also urge anyone who currently owns or is leasing this car to get rid of it I feel it is completely unsafe and that it is only a matter of time until someone is seriously hurt or killed while driving this car.

- Sylvia J., Kalamazoo, MI, US

Jun 042018

Tucson SE Plus FWD 2.Ol 4 cyl

Same problem as everyone else, love the Tucson, its a lease and was planning on keeping it. Right now the car is at the dealership they been driving it to see if it will happen to them. I was even asked how many feet do I use to drive the car with. grrr I am afraid I will be hit since I have to pull out onto a busy street from where I live. I cannot add anything - just hope the car lags at a stop for the dealership before I pick the car up.

Update from Aug 7, 2018: 8/6/18 Met with the Service Mgr. since they could not duplicate the problem he gave me some options next time the issue happens. But wants to me to try and remember how, where I was driving when the issue happened (route and how many stops). Then either I can leave my car with them for a couple of days and allow a tech to drive the vehicle to and from work OR we can discuss turning it into a lemon.

This is my 3rd car from this dealership and well aware how clean and well maintain I keep my cars. I told him I did file a Claim as someone else suggested because I am concerned about safety issues and causing a accident. Service Mgr. understood and said he was going to recommend that I do this. They did reset the Adaptive Values and hopefully no other issues. I highly recommend everyone file a claim with Corporate Customer Care 800-633-5151 and file a claim. If it does happen again I will sadly get rid of it, I cannot chance risking having accident in it have myself or passengers or someone in another car being hurt.

Update from Aug 8, 2018: 8/9/18 Sadly after updating I drove my 2017 Tucson, parked for 30 min's came back out and pulling into traffic "it did it again" twice one right after the other then it was fine. I'm sad this car I really wanted to hang onto but now I have to consider dumping it. Hopefully the service manager keeps to his word now I have no idea what I want.

- klamons, Indio, US

Aug 012018

Tucson ECO 1.6L Turbo

in 2017 there was a recall on Sonatas & Santa Fes with stalling issues, I'm wondering how long until Hyundai addresses the stalling issues in the Tucsons which I have seen multiple postings in various places. I thought I did my research, so many car reviewers gave Tucson really good reviews but I haven't been confident in the way this vehicle has accelerated since early on. I have less than 3,000 miles, seems like at times it accelerates rather quick but on 8/1/2018 after being stopped for a stop light, got green light push accelerator to go and it wasn't accelerating .. it took a good 30 seconds to start going, I didn't know what was going on. Came home & started researching and found all the stalling complaints! Sorely disappointed that this might be what I have to look forward to!

- js.sad, Frederick, US

Jun 012017

Tucson ECO 1.6

Took the 2017 Eco 1.6T Tuscon to a Hyundai dealer this week. Was told it needed a software update to fix the take-off acceleration stuttering and hesitation issues I had explained to the tech. Drove away late the next day. Apparently they didn't drive it because it's now worse than it was before. Driving across intersections is now a major hazard because the vehicle nearly stalls out. More like a choking hesitation in the engine. Almost like there's a fuel/air mixture issue in the computer system, or there's something going on with the transmission signaling. Bottom line is there continues to a lot of initial hesitation and acceleration stutter upon depressing the gas peddle from a dead stop. Very choppy responses in the initial gears and feels pretty jerky to the point of annoyance. No 2017 vehicle should be doing this. This was not the case when we test drove it, and did not behave this way for the first few months of ownership. Might be an altitude thing since we're at 6200 feet, but not sure since i would think the ECU would correct for the lower amounts of oxygen. Regardless, the vehicle has just under 8,000 miles on it and we've only owned it for approximately 9 months. Great vehicle otherwise, but is getting to the point of major concern for me since there've been two recent incidents of nearly failing to get across two busy roadways for fear of stalling out.

Update from Mar 13, 2018: Filed a formal complain with the NHTSA. Courtesy copied Hyundai corporate and the dealership. Received replies from corporate indicating they could not repurchase the vehicle from me under Colorado's Lemon Laws because there wasn't sufficient service evidence. I informed them dealership I purchased it from, and another Hyundai dealership across town, told me they had no TSB fixes and would therefore be unable to make any repairs to the dual-clutch transmission. Interestingly enough, several technicians told me they were very much aware of the issues with the transmission stuttering and hesitating, and that they were embarrassed and ashamed that there was nothing they could do as Hyundai technicians to fix/remedy the issue. One technician told me to drive the Tuscon in "SPORT" mode to help remedy the issue. There are not the right answers from Hyundai.

- Jerry G., Parker, CO, US