ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2007 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 16)

May 142018

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle shut down without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The contact called bill cole auto mall ashland at 606-29-2288 (2701 winchester ave, ashland, ky 41101) and was informed that the vehicle was not under warranty. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 111,000.

- Olive Hill, KY, USA

May 022018

Pathfinder

The vehicle started vibrating very roughly and loudly during acceleration, then suddenly the transmission completely failed while my daughter was driving it on a very busy frontage road to the highway. She was able to steer it onto the shoulder before it stopped coasting; and several people stopped to help her push it into safety in a nearby parking lot. After having it towed to a repair shop, the mechanic informed us that the radiator fluid had leaked through cracks into the transmission fluid, causing irreversible damage to the transmission. Upon researching the problem, we discovered this was a known and acknowedged problem with 2005-2010 Nissan Pathfinders, but neither a recall nor a warning was ever issued. We are now beyond the warranty coverage in time and in mileage, so Nissan will not cover any of the expenses to repair.

- Boerne, TX, USA

Feb 012017

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the transmission failed and the vehicle shifted gears with force. The vehicle was taken to howell motors Buick, GMC, Nissan (1158 highway 51-98 summit, ms 39666, (phone) 601-276-7711) where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed due to a radiator leak. The contact stated that the radiator was replaced by the same dealer in 2015; however, the radiator replacement did not correct the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Summit, MS, USA

Jan 252018

Pathfinder

Coolant and transmission fluid are mixed causing the car to not shift properly. I was not told of this issue when I purchased the car in 2010 from the Nissan dealer - even though it was a known condition. This is the 2nd time the transmission is failing, so it'll be my 3rd transmission. The first time it happened, the car had 70K miles. Now it has 115,000. So the 2nd transmission lasted about 45K miles. Nissan wants me to pay $3000 of the $5,850 estimate. If I knew this car was going to be this much trouble, I wouldn't have purchased it. I really think Nissan should be doing a better job owning up to this issue and covering the expenses for their poor quality.

- New Canaan, CT, USA

Jul 112017

Pathfinder

Takata recall. We were on our way back home with our children and a the Pathfinder made it made a loud noise so we pulled over off the highway and the Pathfinder wouldn't start. We had to call a tow truck to tow us home. We waited on the side of the road for 3 hours with a 10 year old and a 3 month old. We are very disappointed and after doing some research I found that the 2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 100,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $4,500.

- Santa Fe, TX, USA

Dec 192017

Pathfinder

I bought my 07 Pathfinder in July and the dealership had done repair on the radiator at their expense, and replaced the coolant and tranny fluids and stated there was no cross contamination. However, the vehicle stopped shifting properly and we couldn't tell if it was the tranny, ABS, or 4WD getting caught. As of yesterday the tranny wouldn't change gears. Restarting the car helped. But since there was no recall there is no history of any other work. All maintenance was kept up with the same dealership for the majority of the vehicles life. After the vehicle has been at a stop, and moved to accelerate it wouldn't go into gear/drive then all of a sudden would "catch" and would launch.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 172017

Pathfinder

Vehicle is currently at 200,000 miles. Without notice and under usual checks and tune-ups the radiator failed causing the engine coolant to mix with the transmission fluid. Now, subsequently the transmission has coolant mixed with transmission fluid. Nissan has taken no ownership of the defect except to recommend replacing the radiator at the owners expense. My vehicle is now in the shop awaiting a $3,500 transmission overhaul to see what is salvageable.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 022017

Pathfinder

While driving the vehicle temperature gauge pegged out at the high side and there was a burning metal smell. I was told by two different mechanics that the radiator failed and leaked into the transmission. The vehicle is beyond the extended warranty that Nissan gave and they never contacted me to let me know that there even was an extended warranty.

- Middletown, RI, USA

May 152017

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While attempting to shift gears, the contact heard a rattling noise on the front passenger side and the check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a shop where it was diagnosed that the transmission sensor needed to be replaced. The dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jun 242017

Pathfinder

The transmission failed after radiator fluid mixed with the transmission fluid. We became fully aware of the problem when my daughter could not start the car. She was at a park with her two young children and 50 miles from home. It was very distressing. The local Nissan dealer will charge over $4,000 plus taxes for the repairs. Most of this expense could have been avoided if we had been informed about the defect at an earlier time. ## VIN passed ## Nissan Pathfinder 2007 ##

- University Place, WA, USA

Dec 152016

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 40 mph, the gear did not switch to a higher gear. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed and replaced the radiator, and also flushed the transmission. The failure recurred three months later. The vehicle was taken to the dealer (North plainfield Nissan, 545 us 22, North plainfield, NJ 07060) where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module failed and the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle could be traded in or repaired at the owner's expense. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 89,000. Updated 10/05/17

- Plainfield, NJ, USA

Aug 122017

Pathfinder

I had noticed fluid leaking from under the front /right portion of my vehicle after I parked. I opened the hood and the reserve cap to the radiator had come loose. After letting my vehicle cool, I inspected both the reserve tank and radiator and noticed the fluid was now a milky/frothy substance. After some detective work, I learned that this is a common issue with Pathfinders from 2005- through 2010 that Nissan has ignored to fix. The transmission fluid cooler in the radiator assembly "fails" causing contamination to the internal transmission components, and damage to the internal transmission computer. There are no warning signs up to or just prior to the failures. After contacting Nissan and receiving a denial to fix our truck under a warranty, I am stuck with a vehicle with several "thousands of dollars" in repairs all due to Nissan ignoring a known defect and not issuing a recall on all vehicles in the "known" year bracket with these issues. I'm sure nothing will be done regarding this issue due to there not being a major loss of lives involved, I.e. takata airbags, but I find it is my duty to add my name to an already hefty list of other Nissan Pathfinder owners that have experienced this same problem.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jun 212017

Pathfinder

At around 91000 miles the transmission started sporadically staying in 2nd gear and would jerk at times when shifting.finally the transmission quit shifting at all out of 2nd gear. After investigation we found coolant had leaked into the transmission. Which caused a catastrophic breakdown.

- Talladega, AL, USA

Mar 012017

Pathfinder

Transmission issues like every other Nissan Pathfinder owner has reported.. same issue, radiator leaks into transmission with no warning what so ever. How in the world was this not a recall from Nissan & the NHTSA.. it's a safety hazard and fortunately in our situation we barely made it to our destination before the transmission failed... $ 6K later out of pocket with Nissan refusing to recognize any transmission or radiator issues outside of warranty.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Jun 172016

Pathfinder

We purchased a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder from carmax in pompano beach fl in 2012, during that time the car had 55,000 miles on it. We ask for the history of the vehicle and was told that everything was good with no issues, however a few years later I was driving and my car became inoperable with my 3 children in the car when I took it to the mechanic he expressed to me that this was a common issue with this particular vehicle and that there was even a lawsuit, but the company is not going to do anything. When I researched this information, it was discovered that these particular vehicles had an extended warrant on them up to 100,000 mile for a faulty radiator that leaks into the transmission ultimately destroying the transmission which was the case with us. We were out of a car for 2 months in a rental, maxed out the credit card up to 1,600 with a 4,000 dollar bill to repair the transmission. This was a tremendous financial hardship on the family. When I went to carmax and asked them why they did not disclose to us that there was an extended warranty, they had no real answer for me and stated that because the car was over 100,000 miles that they could not help me. I feel that carmax withheld information on this car and according to the state law it is required that they inform consumers of manufacture warranty on the vehicles. Since that time the car has had additional breakdown and we can no longer pay for a vehicle that is not working properly.E trapped in a vehicle that was a lemon form the beginning.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Oct 222014

Pathfinder

Transmission of my Nissan Pathfinder 2007 failed. The radiator spilled the cooling liquid into the transmission, which then proceeded to cause irrepairable damage to the transmission. Transmission replaced with a rebuilt transmission

- Shapleigh, ME, USA

Oct 182014

Pathfinder

Radiator of my Nissan Pathfinder 2007 SE failed. The radiator rusted/rotted away and spilled radiator fluid into the transmission, which then caused serious problems to the transmission and needing both replaced with new hoses, clamps etc.

- Shapleigh, ME, USA

Apr 212017

Pathfinder

Lost motive power lots of shuddering and hard shifting.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Mar 012017

Pathfinder

Transmission fluid is leaking into coolant.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Apr 062017

Pathfinder

I started having the problem with my 2007 Nissan Pathfinder on April 6, 2017 while I was driving home from work. It was shuddering and it wouldn't move when I stepped on the accelerator or put it in reverse. There were no warning signs before. I had it towed to my mechanic 45 min. Away. Later that day I learned that the radiator had broken and the water and gone into the transmission and destroyed the transmission. Someone told me that they had that same problem with their Nissan so I looked online and lo and behold...this was a big issue with Nissan. The Nissan dealer referred me to Consumer Affairs for Nissan. They told me that I would have to have it towed from my repair person down to the Nissan dealership to be evaluated. Consumer Affairs for Nissan agreed to have me pay $3,000 copay and they would pay the rest even though my car was 2 weeks past the warranty date and it was 13,000 miles over. I, as a consumer, was never notified that this was an issue with my car. If I had, I probably would have replaced the radiator at $800 instead of the transmission and radiator for $5700. I am still out $3,000 which is a huge amount and two tows for my vehicle.

- Roseville, CA, USA