9.3

$1,500

1. replace wires (2 reports)
  2. put a special rodent repellent tape under the hood (1 reports)
2016 Toyota 4Runner electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota 4Runner:

2016 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

May 312016

4Runner SR5

Purchased the car May 2016, my dogs decided to chew on the mud flaps - WTF!, 2 weeks later the dash lights come on, We towed to the dealer, they tell me that it looks like my dogs chewed the brake wiring and it was going to cost just over $400.00- I had it towed home, and my "family" mechanic was able to fix it.

Then 2 more weeks later, when I start the car to go to work it is shaking uncontrollably, we have it towed to the dealer again now to be told there are rodent droppings under the hood and the wiring harness has been chewed.

We are given 2 options, 1st option has no guarantee, it will void the warranty for only $400.00. 2nd option is to properly replace the wiring harness which will cost just over $2,000.00, need a week to get the part add in labor and within 1-2 week and approx $3,000.00 they will fix it.

We towed it home again in total disgust that we have this new vehicle being eaten by Rodents yet none of our other 6 vehicles in the yard have even been touched by one!

My family mechanics once again located the chewed wiring and repaired it.

Through out the 2 years of Toyota Care services have I ever once been advised of this issue or any other Rodent findings in my car, yet when I take it in 3 more time with another complaint am I told there are signs of rodent in y cabin filter. When I get on line to research Tech bulletins is when I find out about the Soy based products being used in these vehicles, but also find that there are class action lawsuits behind this and Toyota refuses to take responsibility and pay for the damages!

Never once has Toyota Corporate or the Dealer sent out a notice advising they made a BAD choice with using Soy based products for their wiring/harnesses and mud flaps.

On my most recent trip to the dealer for another consistent issue that remains unresolved they advise me there are Rodent droppings AGAIN and they now have had this issue so many times that they are using a Rodent Repellent tape made by Honda placing it under the hood.

I have a 1998 4 Runner with over 230K miles, running strong and never had one issue with it.

- Edie P., Hawthorne, US

Apr 032017

4Runner

Toyota figured out another way to profit on their customers expense. Within months of purchasing a new 2016 4Runner the engine light turned on, and we were told it was due to a rat infestation. Toyota is very much aware that the wires are soy base and attract rodents, so why not discontinue using the product? They are a multi-million+ dollar business, please have the common courtesy to stand by your customers.

- nk11385, Queens, US

Apr 022018

4Runner

Once again, the 2016 4Runner engine light turned on, and we were told rodents feasted all over. That is twice in less than 1yr. in a half. This issue will not stop, until we stop purchasing from a business who doesn't care about our safety or best interest.

- nk11385, Queens, US