- July 21: Toyota Class Action Lawsuit Includes Prius and Lexus CT 200h news | 3 days ago
- July 19: Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Fuel Tank Settlement Allegedly Useless For Owners news | 5 days ago
- July 7: Toyota RAV4 Battery Issues Lead to Lawsuit news | 17 days ago
- June 21: Toyota Highlander Hybrid Fuel Tank Capacity Lawsuit news | 33 days ago
- June 7: Toyota Soy Wiring Lawsuit Partly Dismissed news | 47 days ago
2004 Toyota 4Runner
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.
Worst 2004 Toyota 4Runner Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- interior accessories problems31NHTSA complaints: 9
- body / paint problems22NHTSA complaints: 263
- brakes problems11NHTSA complaints: 87
- engine problems11NHTSA complaints: 52
- wheels / hubs problems5NHTSA complaints: 9
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 77
- AC / heater problems2
- drivetrain problems2NHTSA complaints: 21
- electrical problems1NHTSA complaints: 17
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 39
- transmission problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 88
- steering problemsNHTSA: 21
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 9
- windows / windshield problemsNHTSA: 8
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 4
- lights problemsNHTSA: 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota 4Runner Model Years
Curious how the 2004 4Runner compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota 4Runner overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the 4Runner.